Squats and Big Booties

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    On a caloric deficit, no rep/weight/frequency do compound become a problem for a specific body type.

If you made no progress size-wise, you were eating too much, assuming fat loss was your goal, or you were too impatient and did not wait for the glycogen/water increase to be 'overtaken' by the fat loss - or a combination of the two.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I gotta say, it sounds like you have no fitness goals whatsoever.

Everything you're posting is about how you look. Nothing about performance, strength, agility, speed, or endurance. Not one word.

It's all purely about aesthetics. Which would be fine..... if you didn't keep pretending it was all about vague unnamed "fitness goals."
  • nope31
    nope31 Posts: 174
    Options
    I was blessed with those thick thighs and an ample tush. I've done all that the others in this thread are suggesting to you.

This was me before heavy lifting size 12 156lbs (on a good day):

70dbcb51-e8e4-4013-acb6-2babf51ef8ef_zps01b330d4.jpg

This is me after heavy lifting size 6 145(as of today):
    24265a9d-5c1f-4ce3-a274-a8029389b5f2_zps0d33ef87.jpg

tumblr_inline_mit81zwrN31qz4rgp.gif

Dannnnnng!!!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Nutritional Consultant/Personal Trainer
    Precision Nutrition Coach (Level 1 certified)
    Iron Edge Accredited Kettlebell Instructor (Level 2 certified)
    Australian Stength & Conditioning Coach (Level 1 Certified)

OP: you are a noob. You know what works for beginners, ANYTHING! 5 reps, 10, 20. As long as the last ones are challenging and there is planned progression. If you are doing a million bodyweight squats, you are using the aerobic energy system. This will burn more calories but won't help much for retention of LBM. Lorinna Lynn's photos are the best example IMO of what happens when you do lots of aerobic exercises only.

"the harder you train, the better your genetics become"

I never said I was a beginner. I have began working out 20 years ago and strength training for 10. I was thin and fit my entire adult life, until I gained the last few years. But then I lifted weights to achieve a level of fitness, not to lose weight. I have found doing what I used to hasn't really worked for me. I have been a member of MFP for almost two years and while these forums can be entertaining, I find that some posters do believe in a one size fits all approach, ignoring the many variables at play when it comes to the body. Since I became a MFP member I did 3 rounds of Insanity, while tracking and while some had remarkable results with the program, I did not. My endurance improved, I dropped a few inches, no lbs and my pants were actually tighter in my thighs. A trainer friend of mine gave me a program which did involve heavy lifting for most of the moves and while eating at a calorie deficit, no significant change. I tried routines I used to do when I was thin, spent six days a week in the gym, following up my strength workouts with cardio, and nothing. I even went to the doctor to have my thyroid checked and found everything came back normal. I listened to many of you talking about BMR and TDEE and adjusted my calories accordingly only to gain and lose the same 5lbs over the course of a 1 and a 1/2. So what changed, three months ago I joined Weight Watchers and I started C25K and started to lose weight. I am actually eating more and exercising less and getting more results. Now there have been some weeks when the scale went up or didn't change, in spite exercise and a perfect diet that week. Why this happens, who knows. This is not to say MFP doesn't work or your advice doesn't work. It does work, but everything isn't for everyone. That is in the only point I've tried to make. As a trainer, if you gave everyone the same plan, what do they need you for. There is just one answer right? I fee like some not all, but some MFP members try to push there plan an their goals and their programs on everyone. If there really was only one way, then we would all be fit and there wouldn't be a multi-billion dollar fitness industry.

You are a beginner until you squat 75kg, bench 50kg and deadlift 100kg.

That is assuming I want to squat 165lbs. I may be okay with 45 on the Smith machine. I didn't say I wanted to be a body builder, I am fine tuning a strength program for my fitness goals.

There are a ton of people who aren't looking to be body builders or pro-lifters that can lift 100lb + or who aim to lift heavy...goals of 200lb +.

And there are a ton of people who don't. That is fine. Why can't one respect the other. You don't have to demonize anyone who chooses a different path than yours. And lifting twice your body weight doesn't mean your fitness journey or goals are any more valid than someone else's journey

I'm not demonizing anything. You're the one insinuating that those who lift heavy or have goals to do so are bodybuilders. was just interjecting to let those who might be lurking know that this isn't the case.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I was blessed with those thick thighs and an ample tush. I've done all that the others in this thread are suggesting to you.

This was me before heavy lifting size 12 156lbs (on a good day):

70dbcb51-e8e4-4013-acb6-2babf51ef8ef_zps01b330d4.jpg

This is me after heavy lifting size 6 145(as of today):
    24265a9d-5c1f-4ce3-a274-a8029389b5f2_zps0d33ef87.jpg

I think I just became a little less straight....

Amazing results, lady!
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I gotta say, it sounds like you have no fitness goals whatsoever.

Everything you're posting is about how you look. Nothing about performance, strength, agility, speed, or endurance. Not one word.

It's all purely about aesthetics. Which would be fine..... if you didn't keep pretending it was all about vague unnamed "fitness goals."

If my fitness goals were purely aesthetic then that is my prerogative and to decide that someone who chooses to tailor their routine around a goal appearance is invalid is insulting.

My goals are not purely about aesthetics. I am currently training for a 10k, which I mentioned in my original post. So clearly endurance and speed matter to me. I also listed weight loss and ideal measurements as goals. And I mentioned a desire to maintain my curves, but not increase the disproportion in my body, since I already have large muscular quads. I also said that I wanted to re-institute a strength program, so getting stronger is obviously a goal.

I asked a very simple question, but for some MFP members it can never be a simple answer. Squats for big booty girls, reps, pace, weight. That was answered five pages ago. But still some MFP members just can't help themselves and are very narrow minded when giving out "Support." The my way is the only way approach is a big turnoff and it exists a great deal on these forums. I have gotten several private messages from people who share my sentiment on the matter. I am all for people finding success in their fitness and weight loss journey. I love to hear ideas of what worked for them. But just because something works for you, there is no guarantee it will work for me and everyone else. Also, I cam be happy for your success in achieving your fitness goals, without sharing the desire to achieve those same goals myself.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I asked a very simple question, but for some MFP members it can never be a simple answer.

I thought your entire complaint was that the answers you were getting were too simple and didn't take your particular fat distribution into account.

So what's your goal? Do you want to be a better 10k runner, or do you want your thighs to be more in proportion to your waist?
  • TyFit08
    Options
    Nutritional Consultant/Personal Trainer
    Precision Nutrition Coach (Level 1 certified)
    Iron Edge Accredited Kettlebell Instructor (Level 2 certified)
    Australian Stength & Conditioning Coach (Level 1 Certified)

OP: you are a noob. You know what works for beginners, ANYTHING! 5 reps, 10, 20. As long as the last ones are challenging and there is planned progression. If you are doing a million bodyweight squats, you are using the aerobic energy system. This will burn more calories but won't help much for retention of LBM. Lorinna Lynn's photos are the best example IMO of what happens when you do lots of aerobic exercises only.

"the harder you train, the better your genetics become"

I never said I was a beginner. I have began working out 20 years ago and strength training for 10. I was thin and fit my entire adult life, until I gained the last few years. But then I lifted weights to achieve a level of fitness, not to lose weight. I have found doing what I used to hasn't really worked for me. I have been a member of MFP for almost two years and while these forums can be entertaining, I find that some posters do believe in a one size fits all approach, ignoring the many variables at play when it comes to the body. Since I became a MFP member I did 3 rounds of Insanity, while tracking and while some had remarkable results with the program, I did not. My endurance improved, I dropped a few inches, no lbs and my pants were actually tighter in my thighs. A trainer friend of mine gave me a program which did involve heavy lifting for most of the moves and while eating at a calorie deficit, no significant change. I tried routines I used to do when I was thin, spent six days a week in the gym, following up my strength workouts with cardio, and nothing. I even went to the doctor to have my thyroid checked and found everything came back normal. I listened to many of you talking about BMR and TDEE and adjusted my calories accordingly only to gain and lose the same 5lbs over the course of a 1 and a 1/2. So what changed, three months ago I joined Weight Watchers and I started C25K and started to lose weight. I am actually eating more and exercising less and getting more results. Now there have been some weeks when the scale went up or didn't change, in spite exercise and a perfect diet that week. Why this happens, who knows. This is not to say MFP doesn't work or your advice doesn't work. It does work, but everything isn't for everyone. That is in the only point I've tried to make. As a trainer, if you gave everyone the same plan, what do they need you for. There is just one answer right? I fee like some not all, but some MFP members try to push there plan an their goals and their programs on everyone. If there really was only one way, then we would all be fit and there wouldn't be a multi-billion dollar fitness industry.

That is assuming I want to squat 165lbs. I may be okay with 45 on the Smith machine. I didn't say I wanted to be a body builder, I am fine tuning a strength program for my fitness goals.

There are a ton of people who aren't looking to be body builders or pro-lifters that can lift 100lb + or who aim to lift heavy...goals of 200lb +.

And there are a ton of people who don't. That is fine. Why can't one respect the other. You don't have to demonize anyone who chooses a different path than yours. And lifting twice your body weight doesn't mean your fitness journey or goals are any more valid than someone else's journey

I'm not demonizing anything. You're the one insinuating that those who lift heavy or have goals to do so are bodybuilders. was just interjecting to let those who might be lurking know that this isn't the case.

Is that any better than insinuating that someone who doesn't lift 165lbs is a novice. and that comment does a lot to dismiss the work of those who may lift 100 or 75 or 50. Hell shouldn't we all work to our goals and our best. Why does there have to be just one best. It goes both ways. You want your choices respected, respect those who make different ones.

Also I accepted the advice regarding squats many pages ago. My only complaint is those who say there is only one way.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Is that any better than insinuating that someone who doesn't lift 165lbs is a novice. and that comment does a lot to dismiss the work of those who may lift 100 or 75 or 50. Hell shouldn't we all work to our goals and our best. Why does there have to be just one best. It goes both ways. You want your choices respected, respect those who make different ones.

What on earth are you talking about? He said you were a novice lifter. That's true. Who said anything about not working to our goals and our best? Who said anything about "one best"?

Your posts don't appear to have any relation to the posts you're replying to. Your goals are a jumbled mess.

I think that you seriously need to sit down and think about what you want, and then listen to the advice that the super knowledgeable and smart people on this board give you about how to achieve what you want.

But the first step is deciding what you want. It's OK for your primary goal to be aesthetic. However, in order to achieve that you're going to have to start being honest about what you want.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Ladies, ladies, ladies, seriously? No offense but coming from a woman who has smaller legs and holds weight in her stomach - you are BLESSED! Appreciate your firm, no cellulite legs. They will get smaller as you lose weight if you are really worried, Just like my stomach is getting smaller - but is NOT firm (jealous). Do the exercises you want. Toning is good. Running is good. Love your form and be healthy (Did I mention I was jealous??).
  • PikaKnight
    Options

What on earth are you talking about? He said you were a novice lifter. That's true. Who said anything about not working to our goals and our best? Who said anything about "one best"?

Your posts don't appear to have any relation to the posts you're replying to. Your goals are a jumbled mess.

I think that you seriously need to sit down and think about what you want, and then listen to the advice that the super knowledgeable and smart people on this board give you about how to achieve what you want.

But the first step is deciding what you want. It's OK for your primary goal to be aesthetic. However, in order to achieve that you're going to have to start being honest about what you want.
    Yeah, I was confused by that statement too. This is starting to make zero sense. Ugh. Anyways...thread is going full...*insert rest of quote from Tropic Thunder*
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

Firstly, squatting on a smith machine is not squatting.

Secondly, as my post was regarding noob gains in strength training the amount of weight you are lifting is obviously relevant. Body weight is also a factor and I've had many female clients (60-70kg girls) perform the above within 3 months of consistent training. And guess what, combined with a calorie deficit they have reduced the measurements of thighs and butt. Crazy isn't it!

Has anyone seen that banging head against a wall gif? :laugh:
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    i personally want a big apple booty with a small waist and nice thighs! like Greek columns.. since i am Greek n all.. lol
    i do squats and am kinda close to goal
  • TyFit08
    Options

Someone lifting under 165 may be a novice lifter, but that is not what the post said. If that is what he meant then my bad. I interpreted as anyone who doesn't do the things he listed is a novice in terms of exercise/fitness. That I disagree with. There are people who train for years and may never lift 165lbs. I took that as being dismissive of the fitness journeys of people who don't lift 165lbs +. Again if that is not what the poster meant, then I was wrong.

I have several goals and they all end with me being fitter, leaner, stronger, faster and tougher.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Firstly, squatting on a smith machine is not squatting.

Secondly, as my post was regarding noob gains in strength training the amount of weight you are lifting is obviously relevant. Body weight is also a factor and I've had many female clients (60-70kg girls) perform the above within 3 months of consistent training. And guess what, combined with a calorie deficit they have reduced the measurements of thighs and butt. Crazy isn't it!

Has anyone seen that banging head against a wall gif? :laugh:

miguel-head-wall.gif?w=594
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

Someone lifting under 165 may be a novice lifter, but that is not what the post said. If that is what he meant then my bad. I interpreted as anyone who doesn't do the things he listed is a novice in terms of exercise/fitness. That I disagree with. There are people who train for years and may never lift 165lbs. I took that as being dismissive of the fitness journeys of people who don't lift 165lbs +. Again if that is not what the poster meant, then I was wrong.

I have several goals and they all end with me being fitter, leaner, stronger, faster and tougher.
    Secondly, as my post was regarding noob gains in strength training

yes it's possible to be a noob lifter and an elite endurance athlete and the opposite. A balance of the two is what I strive for. For me it's 75/25 strength endurance whereas in the past it was the opposite. Funnily enough, the reason for my change in attitude was aesthetic predominantly. Didn't want to look like a skinny fat triathlete.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Out.
  • TyFit08
    Options

Secondly, as my post was regarding noob gains in strength training

yes it's possible to be a noob lifter and an elite endurance athlete and the opposite. A balance of the two is what I strive for. For me it's 75/25 strength endurance whereas in the past it was the opposite. Funnily enough, the reason for my change in attitude was aesthetic predominantly. Didn't want to look like a skinny fat triathlete.

My apologies for the confusion. I misinterpreted your post. I don't like the term "skinny fat" which is used quite often on MFP, but I too I wouldn't be content with being thin and having no muscle definition.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    What the heck is skinny fat?
  • jonnythan
    Options
    What the heck is skinny fat?

Thin, but still relatively high body fat percentage.