Squats and Big Booties

Options

Replies

• CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Ummm..... there are no exercises that are going to make your muscles longer. Or leaner. Just sayin
    Yes, but there are exercises that will make your LEGS appear longer because you're legs are shaped, thinner and toned. One of the routines that can do that is barre workouts.
    Where on earth are you getting that idea? Last I checked there were no appearance lengthening exercises. Any exercise will do that over time with a calorie deficit.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    Can we get over the squats/lifting makes you bulky myth? It doesn't. You just look and feel better and stronger. Been lifting 3 years and am a lot less bulky than ever!

Yes, I love My Bar Method workouts, too. They compliment each other quite well.
    ^This. And my thighs are 21 inches around btw. Haven't become huge yet.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Ummm..... there are no exercises that are going to make your muscles longer. Or leaner. Just sayin
    Yes, but there are exercises that will make your LEGS appear longer because you're legs are shaped, thinner and toned. One of the routines that can do that is barre workouts.

Aaaaaaaand..... you're still wrong. Special exercises doing special things to make muscles look a special way is complete and utter fantasy. This is BS that's being fed to you by the fitness industry in an attempt to separate you from your money
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I also carry my excess weight in my thighs. I've been lifting heavy for 1.5 years (weighted squats, deadlifts, etc). The only time my thighs have increased in size was when I was eating at a surplus with the intent to gain muscle. I gained 10lbs. I was eating 3000 calories a day and lifting 4-5 days a week following a hypertrophy program. My thigh measurement increased by an inch. ONE inch. Not even enough to move up pants size.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I love squats I started at a size 14 pant and flat but now I am in a size 10 pant loose with a but that is lifting. All this on a cal deficit. The deficit is stripping the fat and the squats are lifting my *kitten*. Proof in the pics.

null_zpsbb53c631.jpg
    null_zpsb97ab99f.jpg

Edit photo size
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Can we get over the squats/lifting makes you bulky myth? It doesn't. You just look and feel better and stronger. Been lifting 3 years and am a lot less bulky than ever!

You misinterpreted the question. This has nothing to do with lifting making you bulky, my question is asking the best plan for someone with my body type. The fact is their have been dozens of post on MFP and other websites recently where women have shown how they have increased the size of their bottoms and quads through squats. I have no interest in abandoning squats, but what frequency/weight/pace would be appropriate for my goals. I have muscular thighs already and yes with a calorie deficit I gained an inch in my hip doing Insanity. When you have 46 inch hips and a 30 inch waist, that is not cool. Running has been the only thing so far that has really made difference, so I want to find the right balance with squats to keep in line with my goals. There are so many leg exercises, so if you were a woman who is bottom heavy with a large butt and thick firm thighs and you want to lose inches than gain, should you do bodyweight squats, heavy weight squats, slow with few reps, fast many reps, etc.
  • TyFit08
    Options

^This. And my thighs are 21 inches around btw. Haven't become huge yet.

Huge is relative, If you are comfortable with 21 inch thighs, that is great. Everyone here has different goals. However, I would not be comfortable with 21 inch thighs. At my heaviest I had 46 inch hips, so that would make my thighs about two inches bigger than yours. Next to my waist that looks huge. I am probably slightly bigger than you now, but even losing an inch to be where you are would still be far from my goal. I am trying to get my hips under 40, closer to 37 inches. That is where I was before I gained weight and the size that I look most proportioned since I am small on the top.
  • DavPul
    Options
    You're still asking the same question as if the answer will change. You want an effective leg exercise? That means squats. And heavy squats. Bodyweight squats are a waste of time and needlessly hard on your knees. If you're in a calorie deficit you're not going to gain muscle mass and if you're not on a hypertrophy program it's really not a concern anyway. Plus it's not like women easily put on tons of muscle.

If you continue to lose weight (read: calorie deficit) I promise you that your thighs will get smaller. There's plenty of fat to lose in those areas without worrying about how much muscle you're going to build
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    You're still asking the same question as if the answer will change. You want an effective leg exercise? That means squats. And heavy squats. Bodyweight squats are a waste of time and needlessly hard on your knees. If you're in a calorie deficit you're not going to gain muscle mass and if you're not on a hypertrophy program it's really not a concern anyway. Plus it's not like women easily put on tons of muscle.

If you continue to lose weight (read: calorie deficit) I promise you that your thighs will get smaller. There's plenty of fat to lose in those areas without worrying about how much muscle you're going to build

seconded
    thirded
    fourthed.

Lift heavy ****, eat cal deficit, get awesome *kitten* and legs.

If it is your trouble area (like it is for the majority of women) then it will be the last place you lose fat.

patience + persistence = progress
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

seconded
    thirded
    fourthed.

Lift heavy ****, eat cal deficit, get awesome *kitten* and legs.

If it is your trouble area (like it is for the majority of women) then it will be the last place you lose fat.

patience + persistence = progress
    Cosign to both of the above. You don't get bulky in a caloric deficit no matter how much you lift, and women generally have even more difficulty than men putting on any appreciable muscle anyway.
  • TyFit08
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I will consider incorporating heavy weights into my routine. However, many people on MFP constantly say you cannot get bigger with a calorie deficit, that is not necessarily true. Large muscles like quads and hams can appear bigger as they get more developed, that is why so many who lift find trouble fitting their thighs into pants. . While eating at a calorie deficit, my pants became tighter in the thigh area after doing Insanity. This is an issue some men and even women might not mind, but it is not something that is okay with me. One of the posters shows a picture where she dropped a size but her butt is higher, thus appearing bigger. That is what she wants, but I have a big butt. I have big muscular thighs and I while I love my curves, they are bit too much for me right now. So please keep in mind that not everyone has the same goals, and the results that may satisfy you or another MFP person may not be what I am aiming for.
  • DavPul
    Options
    then do it whatever way you see fit. best of luck on your fitness journey
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    maybe a pic will help..

20130605_070335.jpg

My GF who also holds most of her fat in butt and thighs (like majority of women). She squats 110kg and deadlifts 127.5kg at 60kg BW. Her quads are 58cm (which I'm pissed at as I'm only 60cm :tongue:) She has been training for 12 months and was previously "skinny fat".

As I said, 2cm of difference in measurements. However, I hold fat in belly and lower back like most guys meaning much more definition in legs.
    20130605_070437.jpg

The answer is to LOSE FAT.

[hodge twins]This is just advice man, you can do whatever the **** you wanna do![/hodge twins]
  • hilaryhill
    hilaryhill Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Im close to 5'10" and Im 194lb right now. My thighs and butt are also big (always have been) but its because of excess fat and its probably the case with you, too (I truly mean no offense by that). That's why I am trying to lose weight, to lose fat so that as I am lifting weights (Im also doing the StrongLifts 5x5 program), the muscle will tone but my legs will go down as I continue to diet. The same will happen with you. I hope that makes sense?
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    My big butt and thighs have only decreased in size since I started lifting weights. I do heavy squats, deadlifts, and barbell glute bridges/hip thrusts. I also do lunges and step ups once in awhile. I am not struggling to fit into jeans due to my bulging muscles, haha.

The caloric deficit I eat at shrinks me, and the weights firm things up. True story!
  • TyFit08
    Options
    maybe a pic will help..

20130605_070335.jpg

My GF who also holds most of her fat in butt and thighs (like majority of women). She squats 110kg and deadlifts 127.5kg at 60kg BW. Her quads are 58cm (which I'm pissed at as I'm only 60cm :tongue:) She has been training for 12 months and was previously "skinny fat".

As I said, 2cm of difference in measurements. However, I hold fat in belly and lower back like most guys meaning much more definition in legs.
    20130605_070437.jpg

The answer is to LOSE FAT.

[hodge twins]This is just advice man, you can do whatever the **** you wanna do![/hodge twins]

Thanks, I will give heavy low reps a shot. Hopefully it will complement my running which so far has been the only thing that has made a difference.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You may have seen your pants get tighter because of temporary fluid retention for muscle repair, but in a calorie deficit you will not see your muscles getting bigger (outside of a few very narrow and finite exceptions).

I suspect running is working for you because you're increasing your deficit, so you're getting smaller. It's not the exercise nearly so much as it's the deficit that makes a difference.
  • CoderGal
    Options

You misinterpreted the question. This has nothing to do with lifting making you bulky, my question is asking the best plan for someone with my body type. The fact is their have been dozens of post on MFP and other websites recently where women have shown how they have increased the size of their bottoms and quads through squats. I have no interest in abandoning squats, but what frequency/weight/pace would be appropriate for my goals. I have muscular thighs already and yes with a calorie deficit I gained an inch in my hip doing Insanity. When you have 46 inch hips and a 30 inch waist, that is not cool. Running has been the only thing so far that has really made difference, so I want to find the right balance with squats to keep in line with my goals. There are so many leg exercises, so if you were a woman who is bottom heavy with a large butt and thick firm thighs and you want to lose inches than gain, should you do bodyweight squats, heavy weight squats, slow with few reps, fast many reps, etc.
    The only posts I see of this are the ones who do not measure or the ones who do not realize that the day after exercise you usually retain water...never have I ever seen someone continiously gain in size on a calorie deficit. Mainly because it's physically impossible. If a person could do that they should be hired as a fictional character in 'Heros'.
  • CoderGal
    Options

This. And if they grow you should come back and tell everyone what you're doing because a lot of skinny men at the gym would pay a mint to know your secret.