edited October 2015
    Options
    10/1 8.25 treadmill run at just around 12:00
    10/2 3.75 treadmill run at 11:28
    10/3 rest

10/4 3.0 @ 12:03 outside
    10/5 unplanned busy busy "rest" day
    10/6 5.25 @ 11:40 on the treadmill and strength training
    10/7 6.0 @ 12:05 on the park trail (and 2.5 walking to and from school/warm up/cool down--not counted)

So, I lost a toe nail. I missed it today. A lot. So I tied up my shoe nice and tight so that my toe wouldn't hit the end of my shoe...and bruised the front of my ankle. My foot is in a sorry state and I didn't run nearly as long of a long run as I had planned. Any ideas on how to reduce friction/pounding at the toes? I have blisters on the tips of my "pointer" toes pretty much constantly (as well as the nail damage that caused the loss of the nail in the first place).

@7lenny7 That is just an amazingly beautiful place to camp. Although I don't think the temperatures sound nice at all... I have on a jacket right now--and it's nearly 70 degrees!

exercise.png

• HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    October goal 75 miles

10/1 big fat...REST day
    10/2 3.15
    10/3 4
    10/4 7.55
    10/5 rest
    10/6 4
    10/7 4.14 : the three pups on our run today--Lily left, Akamai middle, Ewalani right
    obcjt0xkhsfg.jpg

Total 22.84
    Ticker is my goal for 2015 and accumulation to date:

exercise.png

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options

So, I lost a toe nail. I missed it today. A lot. So I tied up my shoe nice and tight so that my toe wouldn't hit the end of my shoe...and bruised the front of my ankle. My foot is in a sorry state and I didn't run nearly as long of a long run as I had planned. Any ideas on how to reduce friction/pounding at the toes? I have blisters on the tips of my "pointer" toes pretty much constantly (as well as the nail damage that caused the loss of the nail in the first place).

@5beautifuldays wow on your poor toes. IMHO if you are having that much problem with blisters that your shoes are too small. You should have a thumbs width between the top of your longest toe and the front of your shoe. I wear a half size larger in running shoes than regular shoes. This will allow your feet to swell without them hitting the front of your toe box.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

@5beautifuldays wow on your poor toes. IMHO if you are having that much problem with blisters that your shoes are too small. You should have a thumbs width between the top of your longest toe and the front of your shoe. I wear a half size larger in running shoes than regular shoes. This will allow your feet to swell without them hitting the front of your toe box.

exactly- to small toe box!!!

I have felt like I have had plenty of room- but when I saw the folks at Runner House when I had my emergency shoe shopping situation- they sold me a size 10 - and other than the arch issues- I really like the space the toe box has. I'm going to get a 10 for my next pair of new balances for that exact reason.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    October Goal—stretch goal 120 km
    10/1—rest getting a cold I think…
    10/2—10.18 km
    10/3—rest, taking care of errands and resting up for…
    10/4–10.73 km
    10/5—typhoon day, good thing it’s a traditional rest day anyway
    10/6–5.16 km
    10/7—rest
    10/8–5.49 km
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Incredible weather up north this week for running. Hoping my bucs will beat the cubs tonight so I can stick around for a while. Off to the game now.

10/1 - 7 miles
    10/2 - 8.5 miles
    10/3 - 4 miles (pace run at 1/2 marathon speed)
    10/4 - 9 miles
    10/5 - 8.5 miles
    10/6 - 8.5 miles
    10/7 - 8 miles

Total: 53.5 miles
    Goal: 170 miles
    Remaining: 116.5 miles
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,407 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

@5BeautifulDays - Ouch!! Same advice as @skippygirlsmom gave. I started with running shoes 1/2 size larger than my normal shoes and have now gone to a full size up. Since then I have not had a blister or lost any more nails. I am also running now in shoes that are designed with a larger toe box and my feet are so much happier! One thing you can do in the meantime is try a piece of moleskin over your toe. It is sticky on the back but I have never had an issue putting it over a blister or sore toe and it has just enough padding to protect those sore spots.

@7lenny7 - Welcome back!! Love your camping pictures! Looks like you had a great time!
    @gabbo34 - Welcome back to you too! Saw your post a ways back and forgot to say hey! Great to see you back here with us!
    watok3240fcv.jpg

I hate rest days, but I did need it, my legs are a bit sore and tired.
    @skippygirlsmom - yep me too! It is so dang hard to read about everyone's run and not be getting out there too!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    12.5 km in 67 minutes - long run for me and faster than my normal 6min/km
    Had a 6:30 meeting so I had to skip my regular Wednesday Night Running Group and just hit the trails right after work. Not saying I live in a small town but I ran from one end of town to other and returned home all along the River bank. 15 C today - very warm for us at this time of year - perfect running temp. Will have to catch-up on every ones posts/accomplishments.

10/04 – 7.1 Km – 7.1 Km – 92.9 Km to go
    10/05 – 7.0 Km –14.1 Km – 85.8 Km to go
    10/07 – 12.5 Km –26.6 Km – 73.4 Km to go 26.6 + 237.8 = 264.4 km

exercise.png
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Reading everyone's distances.. I am so jealous of all the distance everyone is able to do in one single run!
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options

And @JoRocka and @shanaber

Hmmm...I hadn't thought about the shoe being too small. I was actually thinking it might be that it's a little too big! I wear a size 10 street shoes and both my Saucony Guide 8s and the Peregrine 5s are size 11. I don't slip around as much in the Guides, because they're more padded, but the Peregrines are trail shoes and fairly thin and "slippery" on the inside, for lack of a better term (I also have Super Feet insoles inside them, which might be contributing). Also, my second toes are longer than my big toe, which doesn't help.

When I put my shoes on tomorrow, I'll do the thumb test to see if I have a full space in there for my second toe. Sounds like I also need some moleskin! Hopefully that won't irritate, as I tend to react badly to adhesives. If that's a problem, I might try a padded sock like for tennis. They just seem really, really hot!

Thanks all for your thoughts and advice!
  • runner_girl83
    edited October 2015
    Options
    1/10 – rest day
    2/10 – rest day
    3/10 – 3.0
    4/10 – 3.0
    5/10 – rest day
    6/10 – 2.0
    7/10 – 3.5
    8/10 – rest day

Left shin is tender today so lots of R.I.C.E. today. I usually walk on my rest days but not today. All I can say is thank God for compression sleeves! :D

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    It was good to get back to running in the 'hood tonight. Feeling strong at the end of my 8.5 mile run so I added a loop and made it 9.7 miles.

10/01 - Camping
    10/02 - Camping, hiking
    10/03 - Camping, hiking
    10/04 - 5.6 miles running, hiking
    10/05 - 7.9 miles
    10/06 - Rest
    10/07 - 8.5 miles
    10/08 - 9.7 miles

Goal: 150.0 Miles
    Progress: 23.2 Miles
    Remaining: 126.8 Miles

l2wy7gcdck06.jpeg

Thanks, @shanaber, it's good to be back!
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    It was good to get back to running in the 'hood tonight. Feeling strong at the end of my 8.5 mile run so I added a loop and made it 9.7 miles.

10/01 - Camping
    10/02 - Camping, hiking
    10/03 - Camping, hiking
    10/04 - 5.6 miles running, hiking
    10/05 - 7.9 miles
    10/06 - Rest
    10/07 - 8.5 miles
    10/08 - 9.7 miles

Goal: 150.0 Miles
    Progress: 23.2 Miles
    Remaining: 126.8 Miles

l2wy7gcdck06.jpeg

Thanks, @shanaber, it's good to be back!

Your ticker is really cool :)
  • fbinsc
    fbinsc Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    This is totally not fair, all these cute pups make me want a dog to run with. If you have one give him or her a scratch behind the ears and a treat for me!
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Oct 8 and I'm a bit behind but I have some longer runs planned next week. I have a 10k race this weekend so didn't want to overdo it. Getting ready for three half marathons in November and a long trail race in December so back to long trail runs after Sunday.
    [=http://www.TickerFactory.com/exercise/wpOAkBt/]
    exercise.png
    [/url]
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    01/10 - 10.3km
    02/10 - 13.1 miles
    03/10 - 10.3km
    04/10 - 22.1 miles
    05/10 - 10.3km
    06/10 - 13.1 miles
    07/10 - 13.3 miles
    08/10 - 10.3km

tot 141/500km

nothing special this morning, pretty slow, it was cold, 5C!

but for a bit I had that feeling I could go forever without no effort at all

and a nice half moon and starts

a bit of rest now and I'll try for another HM tomorrow, and I'm also going to order a new head lamp as mine fell off and now has a nice hole, but it still works
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Date: 2/10 Length: 7.1 km Duration: 0:39:33 Total: 7.1 km of 100 km
    Date: 4/10 Length: 12km Duration: 1:12:50 Total: 19.1 km of 100 km
    Date: 6/10 Length: 8.2km Duration: 0.50:02 Total: 27.3 km of 100 km
    Date: 7/10 Length: 8.6km Duration: 0.55:23 Total: 35.9 km of 100 km

Lovely, easy run last night. I didn't want the run to end and like @patrikc333 I had the feeling I could just go on and on if I wanted to, almost like I was gliding along the ground. Anyone who can bottle and sell runner's high will be a rich person indeed.

It seems my special rehydration strategy *cough* worked well (@7lenny7 I am definitely going to patent it...) as I felt on top form yesterday and feel full of the joys of spring (well, except it's Autumn of course) today.

Running is the source, man.
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    Just wondering if anyone here runs for a certain time rather than distance? I've been upping distance slowly but find concentrating on a particular distance stressful.. I know that I can run 3km in just over 20 mins.. So I am thinking of setting 10 min time cues rather than distance cues.. Does anyone else do this?
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Yes @kareF that's what I do. If I go out in the morning it's before the kids are out of bed so I've only got about 30 mins (as I can't drag myself out of bed any earlier than 6.15) so I just run as far as I can in that time, there's loads of little side streets where I can do an extra 'loop' if I need to. I'm very much a noob but I believe a general rule of thumb is to add either 10% distance or run 10% quicker, but not to try and improve both at the same time :)

exercise.png
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    kareF wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone here runs for a certain time rather than distance? I've been upping distance slowly but find concentrating on a particular distance stressful.. I know that I can run 3km in just over 20 mins.. So I am thinking of setting 10 min time cues rather than distance cues.. Does anyone else do this?

I won't do it, cause you can run 2k or 3k in 20 minutes for example, depending on many factors

I think that focusing on increasing the distance can yield better results initially