WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2015

Options

Replies

• mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    lcz3ngoe5y4a.jpg
    Taking a moment to share my walk on Thursday. This is the boulevard in Gloucester, MA. George Clooney and Mark Walhberg filmed "The Perfect Storm" here in 1999. I am fortunate to come to Gloucester every day to work.

Will get back to you later.
    Chris in MA
  • phyllis115
    phyllis115 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies. This looks like the group for me. I'm 54. I live in Cincinnati, Ohio. I'm finally using MFP to log every bite. I'm on a 12 day streak. Phyl from Cincy

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,992 Member
    Options
    fairysue63 wrote: »
    Hi new here from Scotland UK. Have just hit my goal but now wnt another few pounds off . doing swimming every day ad few walks a week now wondering how hard is the maintenance side of this . its the first time I've everdieted as osteoporosis was diagnosed so want to be fitter to trykeep from ending up bad with it but only allows certain exercises .

welcome.gifYou have come to the right place for support and encouragement. Many of us have health challenges and have found exercise that fits in.....I lost a lot of weight in 2009 and have kept it off by continuing to do what I was doing to lose the weight---the only difference is that once in awhile I don't post my food and I am a little less restrictive about the food I eat.

:)Joyce, I stay away from fairs and festivals because of the crowds and not so much interest in what is going on. Every summer I perform at the county fair with my line dance group. We get there at 9:30 AM, perform from 10-11 and then I go home. My rule about "fair food" is that I don't eat any of it.....that makes it easier to decide.

smiley-greet002.gif Today is Jake's 70th birthday. His cards are on the table waiting for him to read them when he gets up. He chose the restaurant for lunch and maybe we'll go to a movie that he wants to see or just come home and spend the day together. We don't make a big deal about birthdays.

t116005.gifBarbie from cloudy NW Washington
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    Options
    Chris thanks for sharing the beautiful photo.

Going to try and get some of the last gardening in today.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    [
    Taking a moment to share my walk on Thursday. This is the boulevard in Gloucester, MA. George Clooney and Mark Walhberg filmed "The Perfect Storm" here in 1999. I am fortunate to come to Gloucester every day to work.
    Chris in MA

Beautiful scenery! What a great place to walk!

Barbie- tell Jake Happy Birthday! Have a good time celebrating!

Good morning everyone! We have 8 hours of driving today. We hope to get to DD by 5:00.

Have a great day!

Mary from Minnesota
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,370 Member
    Options
    Margaret - I planted my garlic today and did some weeding. Put some beer in the slug traps. :D My knee seems to be suffering a bit. ;)

Tomorrow I'm going to marzipan the cake for the party. o:)

Chris - what a lovely, calming photo!

Feel a bit flat today, but I think it's because I took an anti histamine sleeping aid last night. Zonked.

Yesterday the estate agents wanted the chubb key to the rental as the purchaser wants a look round. Hope that's not bad news. They have located the electricity keys at last so I hope they will remember to leave them in the flat for me. I want to leave a modicum of electricity for her on completion, so she can at least turn the light on!
    I'm just holding my breath now for exchange of contracts. It could still all fall through.

Having guinea fowl tonight with butternut squash and roasted cauliflower. Will do something with the cold meat tomorrow and my homemade pesto.

Love to all. Heather UK
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Katla - thanks so much, I am doing well and really beginning to get back to normal. I go Monday morning to the surgeon for my two week check up. I'm sure I'll get a good report.

Mary - beautiful picture, I'd love to have a place close by to walk that is that gorgeous. I am SO jealous of your trip to Colorado. Tell all of my family hello and have a terrific time :)

Lisa - I don't blame you at all for being a bit miffed at the manager's choice of words. You have done an outstanding job and now you can move on to the next big challenge, finish you next book, etc. You are one exceptional lady.

Joyce - I was so glad to read your post saying "everything is coming together" at once. Thank the good Lord. Hopefully all continues now in the right direction.

Gloria - good job on pulling out the air popper. The popcorn is a great snack for growing boys. I love it on a cool fall evening. I do,however, have to watch the number of carbs.

Cynthia - thanks for the encouraging words. Its really had to say on how long before you can ride a bike again. Everyone heals at a different rate and doctors all seem to do their own thing now days. But I would certainly not think it would be too long. The main thing, I would think, would be any type of accident that might re-injure the knee.

Sue in Scotland - Welcome and congrats on reaching your goal. The maintenance is the real work. You just have to find a balance between eating and exercise and find what works for you. My grandfather (on my Dad's side) came to the USA from Scotland when he was 12. I love to think I can identify with being Scottish :) Keep coming back and let us know how we can help.

Chris in MA - thanks so much for sharing the beautiful picture of your walk. I so enjoy seeing everyone's gorgeous pictures of where they live and walk, etc.

Phyl from Cincy - Welcome and congrats on your good start. You have found a wonderful group of supportive, caring ladies. Join in often.

Heather
    - Hope we get to see a pic of the finished cake :) Good thots that all goes well now with the sale of the flat, sounds like its moving in the right direction now.

Weatherman is forecasting mid 90's tomorrow, if we reach 94 we will break a record for warmest day. We DO NOT need weather this hot in mid October. I am so ready for fall.

Janetr OKC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,992 Member
    Options
    :) janetr, I remember when my friend had her knee replacement recently....I visited her twice in a convalescent hospital where she was getting PT and had pain and then all of a sudden she was up walking totally like normal and has been doing great every since...I know you'll be out and about soon just like that

<3 Barbie
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,730 Member
    Options
    morning peeps

kirby is at work now so i fed the kids and now i'm gonna get on my borrowed spin bike that is set up here for me at home!

type to ya later
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) janetr, I remember when my friend had her knee replacement recently....I visited her twice in a convalescent hospital where she was getting PT and had pain and then all of a sudden she was up walking totally like normal and has been doing great every since...I know you'll be out and about soon just like that

<3 Barbie

That's me, I woke up yesterday and just felt like a new person. Thanks for you encouragement.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day:
    1st spin at home:
    60min, 136ahr, 152mhr = 563c

you know you did good when you have another t-shirt sweat soaked workout, ESPECIALLY when it's at home. did take a shower yesterday after i walked home from work cuz i was way too sweaty. that was my first shower at home. kirby replaced the shower head with a hand held removable one and put a chair in the tub so i can sit down. it worked out perfectly. the kids were wondering why we were still home and no car ride (going to the gym) but they were happy i was home. tomorrow he is off so we'll get to go to the gym.

nice ocean pic.
    welcome to the new peeps

HI CYNTHIAT60!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gloworminwa - you would have to move in with me, i need it put back every day, twice a day, for workout and after the shower. where r u at anyway. i'm in tacoma

type to ya later, gotta make some oatmeal and start the laundry
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,820 Member
    Options
    afternoon friends~
    ok day at work today...
    Tom I have sort of figured out what is going on with him ,without him admitting anything..
    he has a hernia.. he went to the dr last week,Dr said nothing to worry about right now.. but one of our friends,had a attack and is going in tuesday for surgery..
    Tom is on the fence, should he get it taken care of before our insurance changes,or wait.. he did say we are taking a ride up into the Berkshires tomorrow,, we haven't done that in a few years so that will be nice..
    taking it all a day at a time..
    he did 3 loads of laundry while I was at work, plus went down and fed his dad breakfast..
  • pipcd34
    Options
    afternoon friends~
    ok day at work today...
    Tom I have sort of figured out what is going on with him ,without him admitting anything..
    he has a hernia.. he went to the dr last week,Dr said nothing to worry about right now.. but one of our friends,had a attack and is going in tuesday for surgery..
    Tom is on the fence, should he get it taken care of before our insurance changes,or wait.. he did say we are taking a ride up into the Berkshires tomorrow,, we haven't done that in a few years so that will be nice..
    he did 3 loads of laundry while I was at work, plus went down and fed his dad breakfast..

sorry, i've been thru this before, that's called guilt. it's not that i don't have feelings but that still doesn't give him any reason or excuse nor does it explain his treatment towards you.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    afternoon friends~
    ok day at work today...

sorry, i've been thru this before, that's called guilt. it's not that i don't have feelings but that still doesn't give him any reason or excuse nor does it explain his treatment towards you.

Ditto!
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options

Alison - his hernia sounds like a tiny taste of Karma to me.

Heather - can you share your pesto recipe?

It's such a beautiful day here today. We went to swim our laps at the Y early and now we are at the lake. Hubby is working on fixing the rotted wood under the front door while I'm totally goofing off. I'm watching Molly looking out the window at squirrels. She's so funny, with her long graceful neck fully extended and one ear up and one ear down. She's lying in the sun inside one of the big windows and panting because she's so hot but she refuses to move out of the sun. Silly girl.

I spent a few minutes this morning up at the studio checking on things that were drying, then hit a couple of garage sales but the only thing I found was a rolling pin. I can always use another rolling pin at the studio. Tonight I'm making that chicken with pesto sauce again. Hubby said he would like that too, so I don't have to make two different meals. That's nice. He did draw the line at sweet potatoes though, so I'll make French fries in the oven for him.

It's really sunny right now, but I'm thinking of going for a walk around the lake later. It's about 5 1/2 miles total. Hubby wants to go out in the canoe but it's a little too windy now. The lake is pretty deserted now though, and there are no boats out on the water, so it's the perfect time to canoe. In the morning it may be too cold.

The princess finally moved herself out of the sun.

Well, enough rambling. I hope you are all having a great day.

Sylvia
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    Options
    Take care Alison.
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies. I am loving this Fall weather. Going to be 90 today and tomorrow and then back to the 70's. I am working today (6-4:30) and off tomorrow. Then tomorrow afternoon DGS has a peewee football game. Also need to get the room in the basement fixed up as a girl from our CMA group that goes to college here is going to be staying form the 15-20. Fall break and she wants to stay and work instead of going home. Then next Monday night acouple more girls are going to stay and then on Tuesday we will all leave for Hatfield, AK for the rest of the week.

Grits--Your new fur baby sounds cute and loveable. Looking forward to pictures.

Karen from NY--Congrates on your NSV's and you will not eat your way thru the rest of the year.

pip--Good doctors report. Please keep taking it easy. You are doing so well.

Joyce--Good to hear Charlie is doing so much better.

Allison--I agree tonight is another night. I can not remember the last night I felt like I go a good sleep. Keep telling myself tonight will be different.

Chris in MA--Beautiful picture. thanks for sharing.

Phyl--Welcome, you have come to a great place for friendship and support. Come often and get to know us and us to know you.

Barbie--Happy Birthday to Jake. Hope you have a great day.

Heather--Said a prayer that all goes well and sale gets done in a timely manner.

Well ladies not a lot of news from here. Just over did it on cookies today while at work and now not feeling the best, my own fault. After work going out gerocashing so will get some steps in. Remember the most important thing is not to give up. Thanks for being my friends.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND-NE

October Goals
    1. Weigh less at the end of the month then at the beginning.
    2. Log every bite.
    3. Stress less, Pray more
    4. Enjoy everyday. Look for the positive.

• pipcd34
    Options
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Boy, I really 'blew' my diet for today clean out of the water! Drove 2.5 hours to a HS classmates Memorial Service. We came for the entire weekend. But after the Memorial Service several of us and a couple of DHs went out to eat. We had stopped at Hardee's on the way up and I thought it would be about 270 calories and it was 370. Had to add the sugar in my coffee as well. When we went out to lunch I had a martini, BLFGT sandwich (Bacon, Lettuce, Fried green tomato sandwich on wheat bread. Didn't eat but about .75% of it, then 1/2'd the Crème Brule (my favorite dessert when we go out) and a cup of coffee and water at lunch. That was just under what I can have for the day. I did not 'stuff' myself; but, I am not hungry now; and probably will not eat. Might have some coffee later. I'm not happy with my blown diet for the day. No exercise either. When we live after my MD appointment on Monday I will have to really get serious about following my plan. :s

It was soooooo good to see some of my classmates that I have not seen in a long time, some of them since HS (graduated in 1969). Several of them looked their age (or older); a few of them were still 'heart throbs'. One sang alcapello ('phonetic' - I now that is not the correct spelling, but with no musical instruments) song. He did well; but, he nearly lost it a couple of time. I think he had to close those gorgeous 'blue eyes' and not look at anyone. Somebody did Willy Nelson's version of Amazing Grace - that song gets me every time. Tears flowing by that time. Classmate was our Homecoming Queen; and was so sweet to everybody. While the preacher said that there were a lot of questions that would never be answered - forever - she's in a better place. I know that 'in my heart'. I just cannot get my brain wrapped around it.

Might even had a good crew turn up at my "Lunch Bunch" on Monday. It'll be good to have some of the men there. We always 'spoil' the men. Was surprised that one told us that he had married and divorced for the 2nd time, and if any of us knew of a 'fun-loving' woman that did NOT want to get married again, let him know! LOL! He said that we could maybe have a class party at his house on the lake at Milledgeville. We'll talk about that on Monday. I'm not sure that he knows that we are taking him seriously. I've got to add his back to my list of contacts.

Told DH today that I really thought that "Cracker" was a good name for the puppy and he said he did not care what I came up with, he'd go along with it. I hope he falls in love with her as I did. She is such a cutie! I've got to get a kennel and a carrier for her; the carrier before I can pick her up from the vet. Then I will take her to the vet we use and fill out the paperwork so she will be his patient and get the records to him about what she has already had or will by Monday. My days are so screwed up this weekend. So bad that I thought it was Monday. All but one of the ladies there and her daughter are ones that come to our "Lunch Bunch". I had to be 'nice' and invite her. She used to come up behind me and my HS boyfriend and 'sigh' loudly and say, 'oh, you are so lucky to be his girlfriend. After weeks of this I finally turned around and say,"'yeah, and the operative words are 'HIS GIRLFRIEND'." I told another one of my friends today that I really was not prepared for her to come eat with us; but, she told me to 'be nice'; so I made it a point go and to invite her and she sat next to me. When the 'heart-throbs' showed up at our table, she was hyper-ventilating! LOL! I don't like myself when I am 'thinking' ugly or cruel things.

Well, so much for me. How are y'all doing on your diets and exercise? I have not gone back and read many of the posts. I'm so far behind that I couldn't ever catch up.

Have a wonderful rest of the weekend. Now to go check my mail.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    happy sat