WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2015

Options

Replies

• lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Skip it if you don't know the characters... Unfortunately, the follow-on ending to the Restaurant IMpossible saga ends up being more tragedy than farce. The crew chief I promoted when I first got there, the one who was in line to take over the restaurant if the new manager was let go, has been fired. I think I mentioned the new manager hired his wife as a waitress, right? Well, the wife was waiting tables Friday night... and the new manager came in for a couple hours to "check on everything, make sure it was running right."

He was there for quite some time before he made a sick joke about the car not being a very good babysitter, so he'd have to go home soon... and the crew chief thought he must be joking. But, just in case, she walked outside a few moments later and his one-year-old and three-year-old babies were there in the car, and had been for some time. She has five children of her own... so she called the police and Child Protective Services.

She was taken off the schedule for Sunday, and then fired summarily yesterday. For the UK folks, and US people who live in "right-to-work" states, Texas is an "at-will employment" state, and no employer ever has to give a reason for letting someone go. Most do, to prevent future lawsuits, but they don't have to if they don't choose to. She was not given a reason.

Even worse--the new manager was in direct contact with Mr. M, the owner, over the weekend, and Mr. M backed his play on firing her, though I doubt if he was given the whole story or the truth. And, much to my dismay, the GM was given the directive to do it, so the new manager wouldn't have to get his hands dirty. I know that had to just make him sick. He's a good man, and that was not something he will ever feel good about. I'm sure he knew, if he didn't, someone else would do it anyway, and did it as gently as possible, but it is nonetheless heartsickening.

The crew chief not only has five children, her husband wrecked a company truck almost a year ago, and did major nerve damage to his spine, among other things. They're going to be trying to make it on his disability payments until she can get another job. I talked to her last night and told her if she ever needed a job reference, I'd be happy to give one. Can't help but mourn over the fact that, had she been willing to step up to the management of the restaurant when I got there, as I wanted and believed she could do, none of this would have happened.

Hindsight is truly 20-20.

I'm going to go paint something today - wood and metal sit still, don't lie, don't cry, don't participate in drama, don't have to be fired. Just painted. It's soothing, in a sort of strenuous sense. Supposed to rain Wednesday and Thursday, so want to get the outside trim painted, at the very least. I grew up as a painter's kid, so it's not my favorite occupation. But, if you just go ahead and muck in and get it done, it's like mowing the grass--easy to see what you've accomplished when you're done.

Unlike consulting.

Later, my dears,
    Lisa in saddened, but hopefully sunny West Texas.
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Heather, since I just had a computer threaten to die on me, I have recent experience of shifting stuff from one to another. I've been saving things from the old computer to Dropbox and then opening them on the new one. You could do the same thing through OneDrive or a really big flash drive. I have a HyperX from Targus that swallows an entire 128 GB. (Added later: I see Lisa is thinking along the same lines. A lot of the editing work I do for an annual publication is handled in a shared folder on Dropbox and that has worked fine for five years now.)

Actually my old computer DID die, but my husband played God and resurrected it. Good thing too, because my new one runs Windows 10 and the company that provides my bookkeeping program hasn't yet written a program update that works on Windows 10.

When you've decompressed – or even as a way to aid and abet decompression – I recommend that you read North of the Desolate Sea by Liv Balstad. She was the wife of the first Governor of Svalbard after the war and her book is a lively description of what life was like here back then. I know it's available in English, though I can't vow for the translation.
    Penny at the emoticon-object-026.gif
  • Lagopus
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Oh Lisa! So sad! The only bright spot is that the kids must still have been okay, despite being left in the car so long.

I can totally see how soothing it would be for you to work with nothing more recalcitrant or evil-minded than paint.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,382 Member
    Options
    Heather Pleased that the Birthday Bash went off well. Loved the photos. You look amazing!
    Lisa What an amazing sight. It is astonishing how far they travel in migration.
    Grits That is one cute little pup. Enjoy!

We are back home and I am so tired after our busy weekend. DH has gone off to badminton and I am trying to get unpacked and laundry sorted, so not too much time for comments this morning.

I am off to have my hair done so will get back later.

Irish Terri
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Oh Lisa! What a sad ending ... I very much understand 20/20 hindsight and your need to do something that is productive in a tangible way.

Not a great start to the day here ... Younger son falling apart with anxiety/migraines. Older son falling apart mentally. I'm waiting to see how the pieces land this morning and what I'll need to do, then heading off to work.

Finally, however, have found my resolve to move forward with my health. Logging, weighing, doing things right. I cannot control the events swirling around me but I can control how I treat myself.

Beth
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Heather - inquiring minds want to know - what are "grafters and humpers"?
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,096 Member
    Options
    Heather what a wonderful time. The pictures look great! Love your outfit!

Lisa sounds like manager did a good offense is a good defense. By his actions he will go down just too bad he took a good person with him. It sounds like the people you are working for need to wake up and spend more time investigating what is going on in their restaurant. You reap what you sow.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the monarch pictures. We are trying to do our part up here. I left part of my garden to milk weed and planted pollinating flowers for their food. I saw two caterpillars this summer. The Science Museum here showed Flight of the Monarchs and that movie helped educate about these miraculous creatures.

Beth prayers! You are so right. It is even more important you take care of you now.

:heart: Margaret
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! Painting for four hours really did me in last night. I had the worst pain in my neck from looking up the whole time. I will do my exercise this morning and go for a walk and hopefully feel better.

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,362 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Glowormin - A grafter is someone who gets straight down to work without complaining. A humper is a person who is good at moving large objects around. :D
    I'm going to try to post a couple more photos.

7f5nmq2mgel5.jpg

This is the venue we hired

s4peodd4vbpu.jpg

This is dancing in the barn. The lady in red is 89 years old. DH's aunt. His adoptive mother's sister.

Heather UK
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,382 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Heather, Penny We have two external hard drives, one 290gb and the other 1T both of which are accessible from any device via wifi. We have auto backup to the bigger one and I use the smaller one for double back up of anything precious. DH is very sceptical about the motives of all these 'free' clouds that we are offered. We use drop box occasionally and I use google for a small number of things.

Irish Terri
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Heather-what a beautiful place to have your party! It looks like everybody had a great time.

Mary from Minnesota
  • Lagopus
    Options
    Glowormin - A grafter is someone who gets straight down to work without complaining. A humper is a person who is good at moving large objects around. :D
    I'm glad you explained that Heather. Both those words have a completely different meaning in the US and neither describes the kind of person you want helping out at your party ;)

• megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Greetings from Omaha. haven't been on in days because I have been really sick. Hope to be back to it tomorrow. Take care, meg
  • dsamsie
    dsamsie Posts: 2 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am new here. I've decided after wishing I could get this weight off for over 20 years, it's time. My son is getting married in a year. I am determined to look nice at his wedding .

I am a registered nurse living in a suburb of St. Louis, Missouri. My goal is to lose 85 lbs . I will be 60 in December and I'm tired of this weight issue.

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,721 Member
    Options
    morning peeps -
    had a lil more energy in working out this morning. kirby told me we are going to get the bug (volkswagon bug 1971) running again to drive. he got it for me for one of my birthdays. it started right up for him yesterday. he's going to have modern disc brakes put in and we'll drive it like once a week to keep it going. he was thinking about selling it (with my permission) and getting another restored one. this one was bought restored from california. the inside is all redone, just need to replace the dash if he wanted. when we retire, that will be the driving around car instead of the beast that we use to haul the airstream (save gas of course when we're not riding).

i created a new playlist for walking, this way i walk to the beat and keeps my heart rate a little raised.

love the scenery pics!
    looked like a fun dance party in the barn!
    type to ya later.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Sharon in Lethbridge: Thanks for your comment, "Katla - It is so difficult for men to deal with feeling. They are so much better with things that can be fixed with a hammer or screwdriver." It does help me understand him a bit better. I am still determined that he needs to tell his daughter that he loves her. :broken_heart:

Lisa: I am so glad for your sake that you are out of the Restaurant Impossible business. The owner seems to make poor decisions. :grumble:

Beth: Wise words, "Finally, however, have found my resolve to move forward with my health. Logging, weighing, doing things right. I cannot control the events swirling around me but I can control how I treat myself." Thanks for sharing them. They are words I needed to hear. :flowerforyou:

Irish Terri: I also am suspicious of "the cloud." I have a backup memory device for my computer and when I want to transfer things I use stick memory. It works and is easy. Our son has put together a family photo drop located in "the cloud" and the family includes his best friend from childhood & BF's wife. :flowerforyou:

Heather: The site of your DH's party is spectacular! The photos reveal a joyous celebration. Congratulations on a masterful job of putting it all together. :flowerforyou: :heart:

We are getting ready to have our home open to the elements while the windows are replaced. We moved the freezer away from the garage window that will be replaced. We unloaded it first. We still need to move furniture away from the work areas upstairs and down but are otherwise ready, I hope. We've moved into our own guest bedroom and had our second night on the new mattress. I haven't had a foam mattress before and it is different. My back is well supported and I slept well last night. I've been worried that it might be too warm for me. So far, so good.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

October Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Meg- I hope you feel better! It's good to hear from you.

Pip - you will need to post a picture of the Volkswagen!

Kayla- I hope that everything goes well with your window installation. We sleep on a memory foam bed and I had a very difficult time because it made me extremely hot. We bought a really good mattress protector and have no problem now.

Mary from Minnesota
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Janetr, I hate that you have a sinus infection. Sending healing thoughts for a speedy recovery.

Katla, it’s always a hassle getting things done like replacing windows, but hopefully it will be well worth it. I hope the weather will be overly kind to you while the house is opened up. Glad you are liking the mattress.

Joyce, a blizzard from DQ? I guess that is the equivalent of me having some pizza from Costco. Or maybe my pizza is worse. Hope you savored it.

Gloria, what a wonderful memory!

Sharon, good luck with the new leader. When we have a change and my choice doesn’t win, I always hope for the best. It sounds like you have your hands full with the grand kids. Too bad we don’t get paid for all the help we have to give work when we are off. Sounds like job security to me.

Allison, I hope you’re feeling better real soon!

Heather, it sounds like you had the perfect helpers at the BD event. How wonderful. We definitely understand that you need time to unwind. We just love hearing about it. On what you want to transfer from one tablet to another, I’d probably use a thumb drive but not even sure if all tablets take them? (later) I see you got some good answers. Love the additional pictures. Beautiful location!! Looks like a party we would all enjoy and you just look fantastic. smiley-love025.gif

Lisa, what a turn of events. smiley-sad013.gif For both the employee and the restaurant. I’m sure you feel like you wasted all your time and effort there, but hopefully you will enjoy the money you made. Just turn your thoughts to the warehouse and paint away.

Irish
    , glad you had a great weekend. Rest up and that laundry will be there waiting. smiley-sleep013.gif smiley-chores003.gif idea.gif

Beth
    , how wonderful that you are working on your health. I know it can’t be easy to concentrate on you with all that’s going on with your sons but it is important. You go girl!!! (((Hugs)))

Mary
    , it is amazing how sore we can get from a new activity and even for someone like you that lifts weights. Guess you just need to paint more often???? showoff.gif

Meg, so sorry to hear that you’ve been sick. ill.gif Wishing you a speedy recovery! ((Hugs))

Dsamsie , welcome. This is a great place for support and information. We request that you sign each post with a name that you want to be called. If 1 ½ years ago you’d have told me that I could/would lose 60 pounds, I would have laughed. This thing works. If you blow it one meal or one day, just move on and start again. I have 20 more to lose and it is going much slower now, but I know I can do it. Come here often and join right in.

Pip, sounds like a plan to get the bug running. I loved them and they were so much fun. My bff had one in high school that we put many miles on for oh so little gas. What memories.

I have been terrible about exercise lately. Even though I have line dance class this afternoon, I’m going to get off this computer and go do some exercising now. I would like to get this weight moving again.

welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I heard a quote this morning that made me think of MFP. “Sitting is the new smoking”. Gosh that lets us know how much we need to get off the couch and move!!! smiley-dance008.gif And a quote I liked:

Wrinkles mean you laughed,
    grey hair means you cared,
    and scars mean you lived!

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday ! ! !

Heather – Congrats on a successful weekend ! ! ! Beautiful picture.

Janetr
    – sorry about your sinus infection. My DH has been fighting one for several weeks and is on his third series of anti-biotics, this time for 30 days and includes prednisone as well. I hope yours gets better quickly.

Lisa
    – I am just sick over your story about the babies in the car. I am so glad that nothing bad happened to them.

Meg
    – I hope you continue feeling better and better every day.

Last night’s bowling meeting went better than I expected. I guess all but 1 coach decided “if you can’t beat him join him”, because they all congratulated DH and asked to see his Bronze Certificate. Last year’s Varsity boys coach (that most of the players didn’t like, and refused to take my DS), was the only hold-out. We’ll see what happens at try-outs. The basketball meeting is tomorrow night.

I arrived at work in time to work-out, but no bikes were available, so I logged onto my computer I filled out the forms to be a Volunteer with High School bowling. It is only $21.00 so what the heck. That way I get a badge, and I can help keep score or whatever the coaches need.

I need a swift kick. In my medication-induced sleep, I found the Rice Krispies. I need to get back to prepping my yogurt/fruit/granola before bed, so I don’t take the lazy way out again.

DH found out at his Physical that he is diabetic, yet he refuses to take any medications, and the only diet changes he is willing to make is to add 1-3 pieces of fruit (apple, banana, orange) per day. I will continue to do my best at offering higher protein and lower complex carbs foods for both him and DS (can’t start with healthy eating too soon). Of course, since DH is an adult with a job, I can’t control what he buys, but I will try to be supportive.

Morning flu shot clinic is over, and time to get ready to head to the Corporate Café for more. That means I sit alone and hopefully finish my paperwork, then start on next week's. Plus, I will dance to a few fun songs and have lunch.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • fanncy0626
    edited October 2015
    Options
    DJ - i'll give you a kick like you help to give others! Go to line dancing and have fun! We are here for you when you need us.

Terri- men are so stubborn sometimes aren't they! Diet can help a lot to detour some types of diabetes. There is a diabetes diet that has had some success. He really should talk to his doctor about that. My DB died from complications due to diabetes.

Mary from Minnesota