WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2015

Options

Replies

• lindaj07
    lindaj07 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm newish to this, I was a member a few years ago so a bit rusty now! Glad to see so many active ladies here, hope you are all well. Looking forward to watching your posts and joining in! Heather, I'm a huge Mary Beard fan but haven't bought her new book yet. Looks good I agree!
    Regards, Linda in Scotland!
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone: Our street was kinda of a bust for trick or treaters this year.....lots of leftover candy so that is headed to work on Monday....no temptations at home, thank you very much.
    Had a great morning in the yard mulching leaves with my new Toro leaf vac/mulcher, wow that was so much easier than last year---
    Happy extra hour of sleep to anyone earning an extra hour, I am looking forward to it.
    All the best to everyone. So long October, Hello November !
    Karen from NY
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    DH & DOS got upset because there's a group of hunters who are driving over our land to get to theirs. They (DH and DOS) put up a fence with a Posted sign with name and number to call. Today, two of the men called and I answered the phone; and, told them that the land was NOT an easement as they had been told by the men who used to lease that land. Told them, it was not a public easement and that is the reason for the sign; we're sorry but, having them come onto our land is messing up our hunting and that of our neighbor's. When the 2nd call came in, the man was apologetic; but, said that was the only way they could get their grandson in there to hunt; but, told him we were not making any exceptions as to do so would eventually make it a public easement and we paid the taxes on it and won't allow for that - sorry. It is not landlocked and they can get though to it from the other dirt road and the only time this man had used it was to get timber off 'our' land. Fence/gate is staying up; and they are not to walk through the land either. They even had a posted sign and camera and feed bucket on our neighbor's land and he told them to get off his land ... not so nicely either. If they come back we will have to call the Sheriff I guess. I don't understand why people think they can do this type of thing. I'd never go over someone's property - I'd think it would be a good way to get shot. Oh well. Maybe that did it.
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    3k8adi0q109e.jpeg

Great picture!!!!!! Where r you, still in Minnesota??? Would make a lovely Christmas card!! Gayle Minneapolis
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options
    :) Mary, you and your hubby look awesome
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    :)
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Michele, good luck with all the wedding stuff. You and I both know the hard way we can't always get what we want...
    So far we have had only two trick or treaters at our place...
    DH update is that he claims to be feeling somewhat better. From Thursday night the only way to go was up, just trying to take things one day at a time. Thanks for all the good words!
    So happy that MFP recognizes general gardening work--did a whole lot of raking today!
    I do not think I have a net weight loss for the month, but did the little yoyo dance. On to November!
    So many lovely lady pictures here today!
    Betty WNY
  • bjkidfun
    bjkidfun Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    :)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,795 Member
    Options
    well still have a 1/2 bowl of candy and maybe had about 10 trick or treaters....will take it to work on Monday..
    gonna go to bed in a bit...Tom is watching the Mets game...
    heard from one of the nurses that they had a halloween party at the nursing home and DFIL was dressed as a chef.. because of Hippa(privacy act) no pictures.. would have loved to see that...
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    17761776 wrote: »
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    3k8adi0q109e.jpeg

Great picture!!!!!! Where r you, still in Minnesota??? Would make a lovely Christmas card!! Gayle Minneapolis

Grandview Lodge in Brainerd
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    battxo27xrv5.jpg
    9q6ugqpj9tl5.jpg
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Two of my favorite sunset pictures from tonight. Missed getting a shot of a whole flock of Pelicans but was still awesome to see. I've seen Dolphins every day, too! (I don't know why autocorrect insists in capitalizing the names.)

Heather - I've never taken a photography class, although I'd love to. I didn't even bring a real camera with me this time so these are just from my phone. Thanks for the compliment!!

Thanks for all of the good wishes and thoughts for my weekend away. It has been amazing. I've not slept as well as I'd hoped, but everything else has been wonderful. The weather could not have been more perfect! I've indulged a bit but I've also walked a lot. My car hasn't been touched since I parked it Thursday evening. Tomorrow morning will be clean up time (not horrible since I'm careful while I'm here), a short walk on the beach, then the drive home. I like to get home in time to relax before bedtime so I leave shortly after lunch. And, with the time change, I want to be sure I get home before dark!

Mary - Love the pictures! It's kind of funny that I'm walking around barefoot, wading in the water, and you're bundled up for cold weather.

I'm off to bed and hoping to sleep well so that I won't feel sleepy on the drive home.

Good night!

Carol in NC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,385 Member
    Options
    Margaret - I hate to read when a doctor makes a mistake and then won't own up to it. Definitely, I'd ask for a different doctor

Well, we had 67 trick or treaters. I have 2 bags of candy to return. My strategy of having a bowl of air popped popcorn worked again, I only had one bag of the M&M fun sized, and that was after all the t&t'ers came.

Joyce - I don't think I'll be doing wedding dress shopping with my daughter because I live in NC and she lives in PA. I never thought of purchasing it from an Internet site. Guess I was just thinking of going to a store and trying the dress on. Maybe that's because I don't like to shop thru the net unless I've tried the item on in a store and I need a different color. As far as how many ounces are in a serving -- let's say that you put in 6 servings. The first time you do it portion the chili out into 6 servings. Then take one portion and see how many ounces that is.

Terri in Milwaukee - I have two daughters and one son. I guess what hurts is that ever since she was a little kid -- maybe around 10 -- she's always said that she wanted my rings. And I guess I was hoping to be able to give her her "something old". But that's not to be. Oh, I got a t-shirt that says "Move over guys, let a girl show you how to bowl". Well, when I got it I was surprised at how red it was because I know I'd never order anything red. Then today I tried it on, is it ever big! I remember debating whether I should get a small or a medium, Vince said that I should get a medium. I thought that's what I ordered, yet I looked at the confirmation they sent and it does say that I ordered a large. I am going to write them to see if I can exchange it.

Gail - like I said, it's just that for years and years Denise has always said that she wanted my rings. I know that she's said this to Pete because she wanted him to see my rings last year at Jess' for Thanksgiving and she said then that she wanted my rings. Maybe I'm feeling a little sorry for myself, everything seems to be about his family, to me at times I think they do too much but that's another issue. In the 8 years we've lived here, this year was the first time ever that they came here. And that's mainly because Vince was going for the operation and I think Denise was feeling "what if this is the last time I see daddy?"

Linda in Scotland - welcome back! Sit a spell.

Karen from NY - if the bag of candy is unopened and it isn't a holiday bag, you can probably return it to the store. Also, consider the soup kitchen, they'd probably take some of the candy since it's most likely wrapped. To be honest, I hate when we turn the clocks back but I love it when we push them ahead. I wish it would stay that way all year long.

Lenora good for you posting those signs and not giving in!

Vince was just telling me (I didn't realize he did this but it makes sense) that on Halloween when we have the door open and all, he's in his office with a gun. Just a handgun, but just the same. If someone were to try to force themselves in the house, they wouldn't be very happy campers....lol

Mary - lovely pictures.

Carol - that pic is so serene

Michele in NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options
    smiley-sleep012.gif I am headed for bed, so I've posted the new thread for November. Here it is:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10277114/women-ages-50-for-november-2015#latest

Don't forget to click the star to bookmark the new thread.
  • mtowne002
    mtowne002 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    DJ sorry to hear about your knee. Ice, ibuprofen and rest might help. Do you blanch the asparagus first? Is a cabbage steak a slice of cabbage like a plate?

Mary and Janet R Happy Birthday!

Heather Thanks for the compliments of my home. My house w detached garage. A three season patio. Living space of roughly 1600 sq feet, five bedrooms on two acres on a side road thirty minutes south of Boston but in seventies motif colonial would sell for about three or max four hundred thousand. Since It was gifted to me before my mums passing to avoid disputes it if I were to sell it I would lose half the money. But more importantly it has been a vital center to our family for about sixty years. I am very grateful to my mum for her foresight in transferring it to me. She said I deserved it after caring for her and Dad with little help from siblings for ten years. I considered it a blessing that I was disabled due to depression and thus had a modest income so that I could stay home with them and my two children.

Tired tonight. Fun night at work. Whole Foods is so great with the community. We hired a Fun Bus for the kids, had arts and crafts for them and treat stations in every department handing out healthy treats like Cliff Z bars, Honest juice pouches, and Annie's bunny crackers. And we had a face painting booth. We had roughly two hundred little kids all decked out. Most of the employees dressed up to. I just wore all black w a cheap witches hat, scary red earrings and heavy black eye liner..sorry girls didn't get a pic. Tons of fun but I am WIPED OUT! My greeting today was
    Me: and how are you today?
    Customer: good thanks and you?
    Me: Wicked Good!
    (Corny I know but got a a few giggles)

Goodnight Ladies, thanks for your companionship!

Mindy

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,087 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    We got about 130 trick or treaters. I am tired.

Mary great pictures of you and DH.

Heather love the grandkids.

I told DH that he got say this Doctor is not meeting his needs and ask for another doctor. Considering how sick he is she is not giving him the information he needs to best manage his condition. He had to ask the secretary to clarify the directions for what he needed to do. I know it is tricky because if he stays in this clinic he does not what to bad mouth the doctor in a way that will make the other doctors defensive. I believe it is the other doctors in the clinic who need to take her to task because she will hurt the reputation of the clinic if she is not held accountable for the mistakes she has made with DH. First to get a life threatening diagnosis wrong and then to write a prescription that is the pharmacy had followed through would have killed him is beyond upsetting. Not only that when the pharmacy called to get the proper prescription it she did not correct it. The pharmacy had to call another doctor on call. That doctor still did not correct it because that is what she wrote. It took another try to get it right. To add insult to injury this is a shot he has to give in his stomach twice a day. She prescribed ten times the dose he needed for a blood thinner. It would have killed him. It is bad enough to have this diagnosis and then to be dealing with this when he needs to think about healing is wrong.

Hopefully Monday this will be straightened out.

:heart: Margaret
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I hope you make progress toward a good resolution Monday. You & DH have not been treated responsibly so far. Prayers for you both.❤️
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,342 Member
    Options
    Margaret - That sounds awful! I'm sure you will sort this out. Over here you don't have to give a reason why you are changing doctors, but as you never see your own doctor anyway it doesn't really matter. :* I don't like my doctor, but rarely see her.

Heather UK
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    1134097z8oxs104eh.gif

Saw someone moving out of a duplex not far from where I live so stopped and talked to the tenant and found out it has not been rented yet. It's only a 2 bedroom but half way between where I live now and the boys school. The tenant gave me the phone number of the landlord so called and left a message. It's not what I really want but would work out until school is out then I would have 3 months to find something else. It's one option. I am going to look at some other properties that would be more permanent moves tomorrow.

Hugs to everyone - Gloria