• kristinels
    kristinels Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    LaceyBirds wrote: »
    While not bug-related, I've been thinking about doing bungee-jumping-using-company-with-spotty-safety-record for the exercise portion of my weight-loss program. The thrill of wondering "will I die this time" might be good for a few kcals.
    heheheh this reminds me of suggesting to an MFPer one time if I pushed her off a 10 story building she could yell back "My HR is increasing. . . .so fitness!" SPLAT. It would definitely work one time.

Did you get a warning for that? Lol.

Back then...no. It was a thread arguing how many cals someone burns lifting versus cardio. One poster 'knew they were burning more' just by bending over and picking up the weights 'cause their HRM showed an increase'. People and their gadgets. . .smh.

My heart rate goes up when I watch a scary movie too. Should do that more often....I could probably eat more popcorn than watching a romance because, you know, calories burned and all.

If your heart rate doesn't go up during the romance movies - you're watching the wrong ones! I'm so happy that now I can log 'Watching Hugh Jackman movies' as exercise! Woo Hoo! (Or Chris Hemsworth, or insert-hot-guy's-name-here's movies...) ;) Although - it's possible the romance there is more in my head than in the movie.... Hmmmm.
  • kristinels
    kristinels Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Let's put it this way. If I have a Boy Scout in my troop bitten by a wolf spider we put some anti itching cream on it and go on. If I have a scout with a brown recluse or black widow bite we head to the hospital. They aren't likely to die from the bite but they're going to have problems.

So, what I've learned from this thread is I just shouldn't take my chances and I should torch them all. Got it.

Yep!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    How many people have been scared by critters and increased their weight loss? Anyone know a database that measures calorie burns based on being scared?

Depends on how fast and far you run!
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    While not bug-related, I've been thinking about doing bungee-jumping-using-company-with-spotty-safety-record for the exercise portion of my weight-loss program. The thrill of wondering "will I die this time" might be good for a few kcals.
    heheheh this reminds me of suggesting to an MFPer one time if I pushed her off a 10 story building she could yell back "My HR is increasing. . . .so fitness!" SPLAT. It would definitely work one time.

Back then...no. It was a thread arguing how many cals someone burns lifting versus cardio. One poster 'knew they were burning more' just by bending over and picking up the weights 'cause their HRM showed an increase'. People and their gadgets. . .smh.

Knowing your posting history, I knew you had a point for posting g the origal post. :D
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Knowing your posting history, I knew you had a point for posting g the origal post. :D
    Awww thank you...I think. And that ball still hasn't moved!
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    20ff21e.jpg
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    20ff21e.jpg

You can fit a small cat or 3 grapefruit in there. Options. . . always need options.

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    You forgot the "Foreward" by Stephen King.
    Chapter 1: Wolf Spiders: Can These Creepy Crawlers Propel You into Action?
    Chapter 2: Cycling with Kamakazi Grasshoppers: Powering Through
    Chapter 3: Bungee-Jumping-Using-Company-With-Spotty-Safety-Record: Will This by My Moment?
    Chapter 4: Being Pushed From a Tall Building: Maximizing Your Losses
    Chapter 5: Scary Movies: The Way to Large Volume Popcorn Consumption
    Chapter 6: Bonus Gains: Desensitization Therapy for all Your Phobias
    Chapter 7: Running From Axe Murders: Renewing Your Passion for Cardio
    Chapter 8: Ghosts: Your Rarely Seen Support System
    Chapter 9: The Ghost Buster 21 day Fix
    Chapter 10: How the headless Grasshopper can Tame your appetite
    Chapter 11: Lose the Zombie, Regain Visual Contact with Your Toes
    Chapter 12: How the Firefly Can Ignite your Passion for Eating Less
    Chapter 13: SUGAR IS THE DEVIL!
    Chapter 14: Elevate your metabolism and avoid these 13 mistakes
    Chapter 15: Pumpkin Spice Might Kill You (because it might smother you when you walk into the grocery store)
    Chapter 16: Laundering Your Dirty Carbs: Workout with the Washboard
    Chapter 17: Why lifting like most bug bites won't get you s-w-o-l-e
    Chapter 18: Tone Your Tush : The Fat Blasting Ninja Spider Dance
    Chapter 19: Anger Management: How Beating a Dead Horse will Quell the Rage
    Chapter 20: Eat Southern Hardtack not the Horse
    Chapter 21: Egg Fast: Odoriferous Appetite Suppression
    Chapter 22: Train and Eat like Boris the Spider Monkey
    Chapter 23: Norovirus: The Ultimate Cleanse
    Chapter 24: Australia: The Ultimate Fear-Busting Bootcamp.
    Chapter 25: Kangaroo Kickboxing: The New Martial Art
    Chapter 26: Bluebottles: The Art of Evasive Swimming
    Chapter 27: Snakes: Your Guide To Jumping, Standing Still, Or Running Away
    Chapter 28: Tenting in Bear Country: Being the Snack in the Ziploc Bag
    Chapter XXX: Spice it up in the bedroom and burn calories with Fear Play ;)
    Chapter 30: Catch and Release Spider Trapping
    Chapter 31: How to Determine Who Your Real Friends Are (hint, they don't support wolf spiders)
    Chapter 32: Hangry Hornets: Feel the Burn!
    Chapter 33: Torch That Fat : Flame Throwers, Spiders and How You Can Benefit
    Chapter 34: Spider Popcorn: Fulfilling Your Need for Revenge
    Chapter 35: Running with the Spiders; Who Has the Heart Attack First?
    Chapter 36 - Trim Those Flabby Arms: The Brown Recluse Necrotic Flesh 36-Hour Fix
    Chapter 37: Imagining the Worst Case Scenario, and Having People Who are Supposed to Support you Broadcast it on the Internet
    Chapter 38: True Motives and Releasing the Spider Within
    Chapter 39: Releasing the Inner Parasite: What's Eating You?
    Chapter 40: If the Dohner Family would have all survived what bug bite would have killed them?!?

Also, props to Nutmegoreo for creating the chapter list and providing the many funny chapter titles and sub-headings when this thread began. :)

Awe shucks. It was great to put my warped humor to use, but I really just stole the ideas from everyone else in the thread and compiled them. This is going to be the best book ever!
    20ff21e.jpg

Awesome! It would be better if the wasps still lived there, but I suppose a black cat would be pretty cool too :grin:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    There was a woman here in California that ended up with toxic shock after being bite by a recluse. Her picture was in the morning paper and the most striking thing about this was that she was happy to be alive. She lost her legs, her arms and the tip of her nose.

http://articles.latimes.com/1993-05-23/local/me-38748_1_brown-recluse-spider

I clicked on the link fully expecting to read that she had delayed going to the doctor for an unreasonable amount of time, but "Within two days, she had gone into toxic shock and a coma."

Guess I was lucky! I had a fever within two days and went to the doctor then.
  • Ponkeen
    Ponkeen Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    So recently I visited my folks. While I was there, a large, fast moving wildfire broke out and my parents and all their neighbors had to evacuate ahead of the fire. (Everyone is okay, no worries. The fire changed direction.) However, the pulse-pounding, adrenaline pumping hours spent racing around trying to get animals, stuff and people evacuated? A great workout! Couldn't sleep that night, but I'm pretty sure I burned off about 5 lbs of fat.
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    You forgot the "Foreward" by Stephen King.
    Chapter 1: Wolf Spiders: Can These Creepy Crawlers Propel You into Action?
    Chapter 2: Cycling with Kamakazi Grasshoppers: Powering Through
    Chapter 3: Bungee-Jumping-Using-Company-With-Spotty-Safety-Record: Will This by My Moment?
    Chapter 4: Being Pushed From a Tall Building: Maximizing Your Losses
    Chapter 5: Scary Movies: The Way to Large Volume Popcorn Consumption
    Chapter 6: Bonus Gains: Desensitization Therapy for all Your Phobias
    Chapter 7: Running From Axe Murders: Renewing Your Passion for Cardio
    Chapter 8: Ghosts: Your Rarely Seen Support System
    Chapter 9: The Ghost Buster 21 day Fix
    Chapter 10: How the headless Grasshopper can Tame your appetite
    Chapter 11: Lose the Zombie, Regain Visual Contact with Your Toes
    Chapter 12: How the Firefly Can Ignite your Passion for Eating Less
    Chapter 13: SUGAR IS THE DEVIL!
    Chapter 14: Elevate your metabolism and avoid these 13 mistakes
    Chapter 15: Pumpkin Spice Might Kill You (because it might smother you when you walk into the grocery store)
    Chapter 17: Why lifting like most bug bites won't get you s-w-o-l-e
    Chapter 18: Tone Your Tush : The Fat Blasting Ninja Spider Dance
    Chapter 19: Anger Management: How Beating a Dead Horse will Quell the Rage
    Chapter 20: Eat Southern Hardtack not the Horse
    Chapter 21: Egg Fast: Odoriferous Appetite Suppression
    Chapter 22: Train and Eat like Boris the Spider Monkey
    Chapter 23: Norovirus: The Ultimate Cleanse
    Chapter 24: Australia: The Ultimate Fear-Busting Bootcamp.
    Chapter 25: Kangaroo Kickboxing: The New Martial Art
    Chapter 26: Bluebottles: The Art of Evasive Swimming
    Chapter 27: Snakes: Your Guide To Jumping, Standing Still, Or Running Away
    Chapter 28: Tenting in Bear Country: Being the Snack in the Ziploc Bag
    Chapter XXX: Spice it up in the bedroom and burn calories with Fear Play ;)
    Chapter 30: Catch and Release Spider Trapping
    Chapter 31: How to Determine Who Your Real Friends Are (hint, they don't support wolf spiders)
    Chapter 32: Hangry Hornets: Feel the Burn!
    Chapter 33: Torch That Fat : Flame Throwers, Spiders and How You Can Benefit
    Chapter 34: Spider Popcorn: Fulfilling Your Need for Revenge
    Chapter 35: Running with the Spiders; Who Has the Heart Attack First?
    Chapter 36 - Trim Those Flabby Arms: The Brown Recluse Necrotic Flesh 36-Hour Fix
    Chapter 37: Imagining the Worst Case Scenario, and Having People Who are Supposed to Support you Broadcast it on the Internet
    Chapter 38: True Motives and Releasing the Spider Within
    Chapter 39: Releasing the Inner Parasite: What's Eating You?
    Chapter 40: If the Dohner Family would have all survived what bug bite would have killed them?!?

Also, props to Nutmegoreo for creating the chapter list and providing the many funny chapter titles and sub-headings when this thread began. :)

Awe shucks. It was great to put my warped humor to use, but I really just stole the ideas from everyone else in the thread and compiled them. This is going to be the best book ever!
    20ff21e.jpg

Awesome! It would be better if the wasps still lived there, but I suppose a black cat would be pretty cool too :grin:

I have the top. . . .couple of them are still in there so another pic later this week. The guy who took this one down was only stung once. He had to use a paint scraper to get the top off though.

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Ponkeen wrote: »
    So recently I visited my folks. While I was there, a large, fast moving wildfire broke out and my parents and all their neighbors had to evacuate ahead of the fire. (Everyone is okay, no worries. The fire changed direction.) However, the pulse-pounding, adrenaline pumping hours spent racing around trying to get animals, stuff and people evacuated? A great workout! Couldn't sleep that night, but I'm pretty sure I burned off about 5 lbs of fat.

I definitely thought this story was going in the direction of, "and then hundreds of thousands of spiders came out of the woods escaping the fire."

Glad everyone is okay!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    There was a woman here in California that ended up with toxic shock after being bite by a recluse. Her picture was in the morning paper and the most striking thing about this was that she was happy to be alive. She lost her legs, her arms and the tip of her nose.

http://articles.latimes.com/1993-05-23/local/me-38748_1_brown-recluse-spider

I clicked on the link fully expecting to read that she had delayed going to the doctor for an unreasonable amount of time, but "Within two days, she had gone into toxic shock and a coma."

Guess I was lucky! I had a fever within two days and went to the doctor then.

I remember reading that story in the San Diego Tribune and there was a picture of her sitting on her husband's lap and stating how she was grateful to be alive. I never forgot about that article, it left a big impression on me. When this thread started about spider bites I thought of her.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

I definitely thought this story was going in the direction of, "and then hundreds of thousands of spiders came out of the woods escaping the fire."

Glad everyone is okay!

Lol
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options

Glad everyone is okay!

Harry Potter Forbidden Forest spiders scene!
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    justrollme wrote: »

Glad everyone is okay!

Harry Potter Forbidden Forest spiders scene!

Exactly!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Glad everyone is okay!

That is what I was waiting for!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    This thread is making my day. . . .okay. Come on people keep thinking. . . . . .

I know!

I skipped about a hundred comments but I just had to throw in my two cents. Seitan. If you wash your carbs you get Seitan. Too bad it's nearly pure gluten.
  • Ponkeen
    Ponkeen Posts: 147 Member
    Options

Glad everyone is okay!

The worst! I'm awfully glad that did not happen. But then, apparently fire is the best thing for spiders.

• SLLRunner
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Awww thank you...I think. And that ball still hasn't moved!

The ball stays...yes, my reply above was a compliment. :D