I was just trying to help you burn calories :anguished:

Just tell me who won.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Just tell me who won.

Wolf spider won. Killed him and then started eating him, before I gave up. Think of how much popcorn you have eaten with this!
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    Relax there. Wolf spiders are harmless and pretty neat to watch.

They may not be aggressive, but anything that looks like that and can bite me and is poisonous? Big fat furry NOPE.

Wolf spiders are not venomous.

As to them being poisonous I assume you don't intend to eat one.

Are we talking about different spiders? Because everything I'm reading says they're venemous.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_spider

In the US the species we have are really not an issue. You really have to provoke them to get them to bite, if they do bite they don't always inject, and if they do inject it's about like a bad mosquito bite. They aren't going to kill you and they won't cause flesh to die in the way a brown recluse bite does.

You just let Mr. Wolf Spider go do his hunting. He's your buddy and he won't hurt you.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Relax there. Wolf spiders are harmless and pretty neat to watch.

They may not be aggressive, but anything that looks like that and can bite me and is poisonous? Big fat furry NOPE.

Wolf spiders are not venomous.

As to them being poisonous I assume you don't intend to eat one.

Are we talking about different spiders? Because everything I'm reading says they're venemous.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_spider

In the US the species we have are really not an issue. You really have to provoke them to get them to bite, if they do bite they don't always inject, and if they do inject it's about like a bad mosquito bite. They aren't going to kill you and they won't cause flesh to die in the way a brown recluse bite does.

You just let Mr. Wolf Spider go do his hunting. He's your buddy and he won't hurt you.

DUDE! A heart attack hurts!
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Just tell me who won.

Wolf spider won. Killed him and then started eating him, before I gave up. Think of how much popcorn you have eaten with this!

And then Lis came in with her blow torch and everyone lived happily ever after.

Oooh Oooh! I just found the ending to our book!
  • allenpriest
    Options
    Let's put it this way. If I have a Boy Scout in my troop bitten by a wolf spider we put some anti itching cream on it and go on. If I have a scout with a brown recluse or black widow bite we head to the hospital. They aren't likely to die from the bite but they're going to have problems.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    Let's put it this way. If I have a Boy Scout in my troop bitten by a wolf spider we put some anti itching cream on it and go on. If I have a scout with a brown recluse or black widow bite we head to the hospital. They aren't likely to die from the bite but they're going to have problems.

So, what I've learned from this thread is I just shouldn't take my chances and I should torch them all. Got it.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Doesn't anyone else just put a glass over the spider and leave it for their husband to deal with?
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    Doesn't anyone else just put a glass over the spider and leave it for their husband to deal with?

Nope. With my luck, he'd let it go free.
  • nutmegoreo
    edited October 2015
    Options

Honestly, I usually pick it up on paper and put it outside.

ETA: I don't think there's too many venomous spiders here.

PSA: I do not recommend googling 'venomous bugs in Thailand' while you are staying in a hut in Thailand!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Anyone tried using FitBite to track their calories lost from spider bites and other scary things?
    I think to be accurate you need to check include negative emotion adjustments.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Anyone tried using FitBite to track their calories lost from spider bites and other scary things?
    I think to be accurate you need to check include negative emotion adjustments.

I hear it can be linked to MyFrightnessPal so that it will adjust your daily allowance.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    There was a woman here in California that ended up with toxic shock after being bite by a recluse. Her picture was in the morning paper and the most striking thing about this was that she was happy to be alive. She lost her legs, her arms and the tip of her nose.

http://articles.latimes.com/1993-05-23/local/me-38748_1_brown-recluse-spider
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    I watched one of these build a nest on the side of my hut in Thailand. I then spent several hours trying to find out the incubation period in hopes that I would be safely on my way home before they hatched...

vdiguprrlegb.jpg
  • allenpriest
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    There was a woman here in California that ended up with toxic shock after being bite by a recluse. Her picture was in the morning paper and the most striking thing about this was that she was happy to be alive. She lost her legs, her arms and the tip of her nose.

http://articles.latimes.com/1993-05-23/local/me-38748_1_brown-recluse-spider

Indeed. Those are really nasty
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    This thread delivers (the book right to my door via Amazon Prime, right?)

Yes. See what brown can do for you. This would be a reference to the delivery person's company and not the color of the spider ;)

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Wolf spider vs. Brown Recluse: The Epic Battle

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aE1alBZ-qXI

ARE YOU NUTS WOMAN! I have to sleep. You realize the whole reason he started this thread is I woke up yesterday morning to a wolf in my tub and freaked. I can NOT!!!

heheheheh. . . . .6 pages and my true motive is revealed. But, at this point, the book may as well continue. What chapter are we on?!?

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Kids, don't try this at home!! LOL
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    Wolf spider vs. Brown Recluse: The Epic Battle

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aE1alBZ-qXI

ARE YOU NUTS WOMAN! I have to sleep. You realize the whole reason he started this thread is I woke up yesterday morning to a wolf in my tub and freaked. I can NOT!!!

heheheheh. . . . .6 pages and my true motive is revealed. But, at this point, the book may as well continue. What chapter are we on?!?

Chapter 37: Imagining the Worst Case Scenario, and Having People Who are Supposed to Support you Broadcast it on the Internet

:tongue: