once fat, always fat

Options

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    anirud1 wrote: »
    I wish sidesteel to counter this argument.
    Corn syrup= honey= sugar=??? plus documentary-'supersize me'. My argument here is fast food weight gain is hard to lose (possible but requires more effort). Not going into CICO.
    From a calorie standpoint, sugar=sugar=sugar, no matter the source.

Have you watched Super Size Me? Dude went from a healthy, lowish-calorie diet to cramming just as many calories into his face as he could of the most calorific items on McDonald's menu. That's not an indictment of the type of food he ate, it's CICO. He didn't have a hamburger and a salad (which would have equaled the calories he normally ate) but instead made himself sick overeating calorie-dense foods that he wasn't used to eating.

How about John Cisna, who lost 60 pounds eating only McDonald's food?

High school science teacher who lost 60 pounds eating McDonald's for every meal is now a brand ambassador for the company

Man loses 56 pounds after eating only McDonald's for six months
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Corn syrup= honey= sugar=??? plus documentary-'supersize me'. My argument here is fast food weight gain is hard to lose (possible but requires more effort). Not going into CICO.

Have you watched Supersize Me? Dude went from a healthy, lowish-calorie diet to cramming just as many calories into his face as he could of the most calorific items on McDonald's menu. That's not an indictment of the type of food he ate, it's CICO. He didn't have a hamburger and a salad (which would have equaled the calories he normally ate) but instead made himself sick overeating calorie-dense foods that he wasn't used to eating.

High school science teacher who lost 60 pounds eating McDonald's for every meal is now a brand ambassador for the company

Please have a real picture and a real name before preaching 'truth'.
    Thank you kindly!

And equally, please make sure your facts are not just propaganda before preaching "truth." I mean, how the hell could "fast food weight" be more difficult to burn? Does your body mark it with a stamp, and just skip it when it's looking for fuel?

"Ah, here is some fuel! Wait, no, it used to be a Big Mac! Can't burn that! Send it straight to the thighs!"
  • seska422
    edited October 2015
    Options

Have you watched Supersize Me? Dude went from a healthy, lowish-calorie diet to cramming just as many calories into his face as he could of the most calorific items on McDonald's menu. That's not an indictment of the type of food he ate, it's CICO. He didn't have a hamburger and a salad (which would have equaled the calories he normally ate) but instead made himself sick overeating calorie-dense foods that he wasn't used to eating.

Thank you kindly!
    Are you unable to click either of the links I provided, one of which was from the Today show? Or Google his name yourself since I included it in my post?
  • Aani15
    Aani15 Posts: 172 Member
    Options

Have you watched Super Size Me? Dude went from a healthy, lowish-calorie diet to cramming just as many calories into his face as he could of the most calorific items on McDonald's menu. That's not an indictment of the type of food he ate, it's CICO. He didn't have a hamburger and a salad (which would have equaled the calories he normally ate) but instead made himself sick overeating calorie-dense foods that he wasn't used to eating.

Thank you for your comment. When you share a story, please read it as well and please do not cherry pick facts. You did not mention about his fixed '2,000 calorie diet, using the daily recommended allowances for carbohydrates, proteins, sugar and fat; and he walked 45 minutes a day'.
    I did not say it is a fact but I believe that it has some substance and asked particularly 'sidesteel' to comment on it as it appears everything he say is pure gold. Sorry for the last comment if sounded rude. My apologies!

Thank you kindly!

And equally, please make sure your facts are not just propaganda before preaching "truth." I mean, how the hell could "fast food weight" be more difficult to burn? Does your body mark it with a stamp, and just skip it when it's looking for fuel?

"Ah, here is some fuel! Wait, no, it used to be a Big Mac! Can't burn that! Send it straight to the thighs!"

Dude, pick fight somewhere else. I am not interested in cat fights.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Thank you for your comment. When you share a story, please read it as well and please do not cherry pick facts. You did not mention about his fixed '2,000 calorie diet, using the daily recommended allowances for carbohydrates, proteins, sugar and fat; and he walked 45 minutes a day'.
    I did not say it is a fact but I believe that it has some substance and asked particularly 'sidesteel' to comment on it as it appears everything he say is pure gold. Sorry for the last comment if sounded rude. My apologies!

Thank you kindly!

You might want to tag sidesteel if you want his opinion @SideSteel

• seska422
    edited October 2015
    Options

Thank you kindly!

I didn't mention his calorie intake because I figured it was obvious and proved my point.

Man who ate too many calories at McDonald's gained weight.

Man who ate fewer calories at McDonald's lost weight.

It's not what they ate, it's how much they ate. CICO, no matter the source.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options

Thank you kindly!

Ha. Exactly.
  • Aani15
    Options

Thank you kindly!

Ha. Exactly.

If you guys want to gang up to win an argument, do not worry, I concede defeat. Now have a little celebration.
    @SideSteel any comments?
    Maybe you can shine some light on this debate?
  • Aani15
    Options

Thank you kindly!

You might want to tag sidesteel if you want his opinion @SideSteel

Thank you muchly!
  • Aani15
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    hugheseva wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    hugheseva wrote: »
    @synacious " I'm 30 now and I weigh 118 pounds; my body looks the best it ever has in my life. Do I deprive myself? No. Yesterday I had half of a pumpkin spice donut, half of an apple cinnamon donut, half of a jelly donut, and a hamburger with BBQ sauce and french fries. I enjoyed every bite, but I know I can't eat like that every single day unless I'm willing to get the physical activity it takes to burn that off or maintain my weight. I still ended up losing two pounds this week when my goal is only half a pound per week. I didn't mean to, but I move around so much now that it just happened."

I weighed 115 until age 38, and then I slowly slowly gained. Up to to that point I ate whatever I wanted and the weight just melted off of me. I was always active too. So "age" is not necessarily starting at 30. Now, I can't even look at those things you mention in your comment. If I overeat one day, or eat something that has a tiny bit of more sodium or sugar, I gain 1-2 lbs that takes me 4-5 days to work off. I lift weights and do cardio 7 days a week. Have to do almost scientific efforts to lose the weight.

So as a conclusion, if one continues eating the stuff you mentioned, around a certain "age" one will gain back the weight without a doubt.

That's because you're gaining water weight... donuts or hamburgers won't make you gain weight as long as they fit your calories. Just saying.

I experienced first hand that the balance also counts. I cannot explain how, but the same caloric intake of "bad" food stays on more. Not to mention the increased cholesterol intake that just shortens one's life.
    My point was really that we'd better watch out how and what we eat because at the end, you'll pay the piper. :)

Nope. As long as you're in a caloric deficit , weight comes off. No matter what. If you didn't lose weight, you weren't in a deficit. You need to weigh all solid food on a food scale to accurately verify caloric intake. All things in moderation, including cholesterol, and you're fine.
    and as far as the piper goes, no one gets out alive, that's just how it goes. Enjoy the journey.

@SideSteel your thoughts on this??
  • Therealobi1
    Options

Thank you kindly!

Ha. Exactly.

If you guys want to gang up to win an argument, do not worry, I concede defeat. Now have a little celebration.
    @SideSteel any comments?

I was obese and I do not have youth on my side. I used to eat McDonald's twice a week, fish and chips once a week and chicken and chips once a week. Bags and bags of crisps. I was oblivious to this fact until I joined MFP. I started to log my food and make slight amendments to my intake.I also started to add 20 mins a day exercise. I lost weight.

By your comments above loads of people are doomed and it's just not true.
    There is no argument here. Name calling is not necessary.
  • Aani15
    Options

Thank you kindly!

I didn't mention his calorie intake because I figured it was obvious and proved my point.

No you did not prove anything nor I claimed anything.
    All you talk about CICO (quantity) and your example of Cisna clearly showed 'quality' (nutrition+ exercise) is equally important.
    Too much fixated on just CICO without considering proper nutrition??
  • Aani15
    Options

Thank you kindly!

Ha. Exactly.

@SideSteel any comments?

I was obese and I do not have youth on my side. I used to eat McDonald's twice a week, fish and chips once a week and chicken and chips once a week. Bags and bags of crisps. I was oblivious to this fact until I joined MFP. I started to log my food and make slight amendments to my intake.I also started to add 20 mins a day exercise. I lost weight.

By your comments above loads of people are doomed and it's just not true.
    There is no argument here. Name calling is not necessary.

Point taken. I had apologised for that already.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    The fact that your body will push you to regain the weight isn't even debatable. It's fact. It's been in the textbooks for I don't even know how many years. And as the years go on, they find more and more ways the body pushes you to regain.

This doesn't need to be an excuse. The information is good to have and good to know. It can help us to know what is coming and prepare to deal with it.

Most of us who lose are going to regain. Many here have already lost, regained and are losing again. IMO, all the info one can have...it only helps. We have to plan.

I think it's good to know that your body is going to push you to regain. It's good to plan. Good to find your weaknesses while you lose.

It's all good. :)
  • Therealobi1
    Options

Thank you kindly!

All you talk about CICO (quantity) and your example of Cisna clearly showed 'quality' (nutrition+ exercise) is equally important.

You know to get people started keep this thing simple. I honestly didn't realise to lose weight all I had to do was eat less. I thought I had to stop certain things or just eat salad. This is common amongst a lot of people and that's why they fail.

As you carry on with your journey you then think about types of food and adding in exercise.

No one is saying eat McDonald's all day everyday
  • Therealobi1
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    The fact that your body will push you to regain the weight isn't even debatable. It's fact. It's been in the textbooks for I don't even know how many years. And as the years go on, they find more and more ways the body pushes you to regain.

This doesn't need to be an excuse. The information is good to have and good to know. It can help us to know what is coming and prepare to deal with it.

Most of us who lose are going to regain. Many here have already lost, regained and are losing again. IMO, all the info one can have...it only helps. We have to plan.

I think it's good to know that your body is going to push you to regain. It's good to plan. Good to find your weaknesses while you lose.

It's all good. :)

And this the reason I stay here so I remain focused. I like what I have achieved and don't want to go back.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    You know to get people started keep this thing simple. I honestly didn't realise to lose weight all I had to do was eat less. I thought I had to stop certain things or just eat salad. This is common amongst a lot of people and that's why they fail.

You know, salad has even been one of my absolute favorite foods for almost a decade. And that's exactly why I kept beating myself up over not ever losing weight... Like, it doesn't matter how healthy I eat, I'll still never lose...

Thanks to MFP and IIFYM I now know exactly why I never lost as much weight as I wanted to. And nowadays I probably eat way less salad but lose more than I did in a decade.
  • seska422
    edited October 2015
    Options

Thank you kindly!

You said that "documentary-'supersize me'. My argument here is fast food weight gain is hard to lose (possible but requires more effort). Not going into CICO."

Cisna lost weight using fast food. Whether he gained his weight with it or not, he lost weight eating fast food. Yes, he worked it into his macros and ate a well-balanced diet with it (mostly, although the nutritionist on the Today show wasn't impressed) and exercised, but the point is that fast food isn't the issue when it comes to weight loss. Eating fewer calories (as he did and the Super Size Me man did not) is what's needed for weight loss.

You can eat the "cleanest", most balanced diet known to man and you will still gain weight if you eat more calories than your body uses over time. You can eat the "dirtiest", least balanced diet and still lose weight if you eat fewer calories than your body uses.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    You can eat the "dirtiest", least balanced diet and still lose weight if you eat fewer calories than your body uses.

One of my exes was like this. Her diet consisted mainly of frozen bean burritos, cake icing (she'd buy cans of it and eat it with a spoon), fried pickles, and baked potatoes floating in butter and sour cream. She was only about 95 lbs.

So not healthy, though. Would not reccomend.
  • seska422
    edited October 2015
    Options
    You can eat the "dirtiest", least balanced diet and still lose weight if you eat fewer calories than your body uses.

One of my exes was like this. Her diet consisted mainly of frozen bean burritos, cake icing (she'd buy cans of it and eat it with a spoon), fried pickles, and baked potatoes floating in butter and sour cream. She was only about 95 lbs.

So not healthy, though. Would not reccomend.
    Of course, good nutrition is always best. I'm not quite that, um, unnutritious.

However, if the only way to lose weight were to "eat clean", I'd never lose weight. It's about balance and compromise.

I'm making healthier nutritional choices. They aren't always great but I need to work with what I can sustain long term. It has to be about the long term.

I want this to be the last time I lose weight. I need to be able to work in the occasional pizza or hamburger in order to stick with my calorie goals and I can do that within the macros.

I hope to be someone who doesn't regain all of the weight. Been there, done that.

This time, I'm only eating foods that I like. That's what's working for me. I like many nutritious things, and I work them into my day, but I also eat things that would make "clean" eaters cringe.

People need to find what works for them. If a super-nutritious diet is what someone likes and it works for them, that's wonderful and I wish I were like that. However, I'm not. I'm me and I need to find what works for me.