Memorial Day plan?!?!

Options
Memorial Day will be here before you know it. Usually we smoke brisket and ribs. We also have potato salad, pea salad, baked beans, fruit salad, homemade vanilla ice cream, and peach cobbler with the last of the canned peaches from the summer before.

Anyone have any good ideas for approaching all of this calorie-dense food while still enjoying the unofficial start of summer?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    It can be really tough to approach holiday food with the right attitude and frame of mind. In your case, I'd start with a hefty serve of the brisket and ribs, with a decent size dollop of each of the salads and the beans. have a short break, with a couple of brewskies to help aid the digestion, then hit the cobbler with ice cream, and finish with the fruit salad if you still have room.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    It can be really tough to approach holiday food with the right attitude and frame of mind. In your case, I'd start with a hefty serve of the brisket and ribs, with a decent size dollop of each of the salads and the beans. have a short break, with a couple of brewskies to help aid the digestion, then hit the cobbler with ice cream, and finish with the fruit salad if you still have room.

DISAGREE!!!

Why should he wait until almost last for the ice cream, cobbler, and fruits?!?

IMO, I would eat those more delicious items first. Then move on to the other stuff later.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Can I join you? That is a wonderful party!
    Save up some calories during the week before maybe.
  • Alatariel75
    edited October 2015
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »

DISAGREE!!!

IMO, I would eat those more delicious items first. Then move on to the other stuff later.

True... to a point. Fruit can go to hell. But there's nothing wrong with bookending a good ribs and brisket with cobbler and ice cream on both sides. Start early enough and the first lot of ice cream and cobbler can be breakfast, which is - after all - the most important meal of the day.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    You're going to need a very detailed plan, mapping out each hour of the day and what you're going to consume. What time does the brisket come off the smoker? You want to make sure that's hot. You're also going to need a diet coach for such an extensive holiday. I'm available and would like to offer my services, for the small fee of brisket and cobbler.
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »

DISAGREE!!!

True... to a point. Fruit can go to hell. But there's nothing wrong with bookending a good ribs and brisket with cobbler and ice cream on both sides. Start early enough and the first lot of lice cream and cobbler can be breakfast, which is - after all - the most important meal of the day.

Ok, yeah this plan will work. Fantastic! Ice cream is the most important item at this picnic:)
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Memorial Day will be here before you know it. Usually we smoke brisket and ribs. We also have potato salad, pea salad, baked beans, fruit salad, homemade vanilla ice cream, and peach cobbler with the last of the canned peaches from the summer before.

Anyone have any good ideas for approaching all of this calorie-dense food while still enjoying the unofficial start of summer?

Yes. Enjoy your party. Log in your indulgences, but enjoy your meal and friends. One meal is not going to ruin anything. And, if you have been sincere in creating and maintaining your new life style, you'll find that you will be self regulating your intake. Was once the time I could eat an entire large pizza. Now the thought kinda make me sick. Being stuffed happens half way through ;-)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Will there be warm rolls with butter as well?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Yeast rolls based on my great-grandmother's recipe.

• Liftng4Lis
    Options

On my way!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Any pie? Pecan pie makes the world perfect. :)
  • Alatariel75
    Options

See, this is why it is important that you give us all the information before we give opinions. You left out a key factor. Now you have to balance stomach room with brisket on yeast rolls, against potato salad and pea salad. I'm afraid some of the salad may have to go.
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    I was wondering why no cakes will be served ?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options

See, this is why it is important that you give us all the information before we give opinions. You left out a key factor. Now you have to balance stomach room with brisket on yeast rolls, against potato salad and pea salad. I'm afraid some of the salad may have to go.

SNORT!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

I think there's too much salad and not enough bacon

What kind of half-arsed day is that?
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

I should have included them right after the baked beans, since they cook at the same time.

There are no cakes or pies because we have those for dessert more often during the year and cobbler says summer.

• DeguelloTex
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

There's bacon in the baked beans. Duh.

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

In for more bacon.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

This.

That is way too much salad, OP.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

In for more bacon.
    Also bacon on the smoked jalapeño poppers, but those don't always make it onto the menu.