Memorial Day plan?!?!

Options

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Where's the corn on the cob in all this? It's a food fest after all.

Side note. Do you can your own peaches? This is awesome!!
    Yeah, corn on the cob probably is the most obvious missing item. We might have to revisit that, but a traditional menu is a traditional menu. I'm not sure changing it, even for the better, is the way to go. Although, a chipotle compound butter to go on it might swing the balance.

You got me at chipotle compound butter!!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I give you Heston Blumenthal, Marco Pierre White and Jamie Oliver (but you can keep him)

Oh and http://www.belmond.com/le-manoir-aux-quat-saisons-oxfordshire/le_manoir_menus

:tongue:

And Marcus Wareing

And Atul Kochhar

And that lady off the Great British Bake Off.

Everybody knows there is no bacon in baked beans. Or corn in bread. What's all that about?
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Memorial Day will be here before you know it. Usually we smoke brisket and ribs. We also have potato salad, pea salad, baked beans, fruit salad, homemade vanilla ice cream, and peach cobbler with the last of the canned peaches from the summer before.

Anyone have any good ideas for approaching all of this calorie-dense food while still enjoying the unofficial start of summer?

I think there's too much salad and not enough bacon

What kind of half-arsed day is that?
    There's bacon in the baked beans. Duh.

How are people supposed to help you log properly and plan for this day if you're not giving us all the information?!
    Do I have to tell you that there are beans in baked beans, too? Or peaches in peach cobbler? Of course there's bacon in baked beans.

Did you know there are people who DONT'T eat bacon in their baked beans? I don't understand it either...but it happens.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    My main concern, though, is the grazing.

I can get reasonable portions -- maybe unreasonable portions of the brisket and cobbler -- but then the stuff sits there taunting me for the rest of the day. Maybe prelogging will work, but it's harder than usual to stick to it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Log the entire food

Then anything you don't eat, or other people eat, you can view as a bonus
  • kk_inprogress
    Options

I can get reasonable portions -- maybe unreasonable portions of the brisket and cobbler -- but then the stuff sits there taunting me for the rest of the day. Maybe prelogging will work, but it's harder than usual to stick to it.

Hire me. I'll steal all the snacks right from your hands.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

The trick to staying slim while being a grazing animal is having at least one predator. Hire a contingent of angry, carnivorous wildcats to stalk you throughout the day. It will keep you moving. A fat zebra is a dinner zebra.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

I'd just eat it then go on about your normally scheduled programming the next day. It's a celebration of sorts I presume and food is an integral part of that experience (in my opinion of course.)

Also, out of sight out of mind helps so when your done if you put the food away and make it hard to access then excessive grazing becomes less likely.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    You don't have to stick to tradition for holidays. I started my own Memorial Day tradition in 2014 where I go hiking on Memorial day every year. The first year was in Glacier National Park and the second year (this year) was at Old Rag Mountain.

This year the food was Dunkin' Donuts for breakfast (I got a breakfast sandwich, hash browns, coffee, and donuts), a Clif builder bar and some candy on the trail for lunch / snacks (also to treat low blood sugar), and then IHOP for dinner.

You don't have to travel... it can be something near home. But you don't have to sing along with the same song you've played for decades, so to speak.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options

The trick to staying slim while being a grazing animal is having at least one predator. Hire a contingent of angry, carnivorous wildcats to stalk you throughout the day. It will keep you moving. A fat zebra is a dinner zebra.

Spit coffee, everywhere. Thanks.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

Or I could hire kkenseth, make fun of teams that wear red, and get an angry predator and someone to steal the snacks right from my hand at the same time.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options

Or I could hire kkenseth, make fun of teams that wear red, and get an angry predator and someone to steal the snacks right from my hand at the same time.

*nods* My predatory instinct is strong.

Back off the red, Tex. I'll let you become a fat dinner zebra.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    You don't have to stick to tradition for holidays. I started my own Memorial Day tradition in 2014 where I go hiking on Memorial day every year. The first year was in Glacier National Park and the second year (this year) was at Old Rag Mountain.

This year the food was Dunkin' Donuts for breakfast (I got a breakfast sandwich, hash browns, coffee, and donuts), a Clif builder bar and some candy on the trail for lunch / snacks (also to treat low blood sugar), and then IHOP for dinner.

You don't have to travel... it can be something near home. But you don't have to sing along with the same song you've played for decades, so to speak.

Um, when it's smoked brisket, you certainly do.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

Um, when it's smoked brisket, you certainly do.

Smoked brisket FTW!!
  • DeguelloTex
    edited October 2015
    Options

The thing is, though, singing the same song has a certain appeal, even for someone who usually isn't overly sentimental. I mean, I could make turkey any day of the year. It happens twice, on two specific days. Same with chocolate pie. There's a certain level of routine and familiarity that's comforting to me. The smells of Thanksgiving when I walk into my parents house makes me eight years old again. That's going to go away soon enough, without my hastening it.

The same thing applies to Memorial Day. This food, shortly after the smell of freshly mown grass is in the air, means it's summer and part of me is a second grader with a baseball bat and glove rising my bike to go play. It can't be changed.

That said, a while back my younger daughter asked why there's a Christmas Eve but not a Thanksgiving Eve. So, now, we have a Thanksgiving Eve with sushi, some good cheese, and spinach-artichoke dip, because she wanted Thanksgiving Eve.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

The thing is, though, singing the same song has a certain appeal, even for someone who usually isn't overly sentimental. I mean, I could make turkey any day of the year. It happens twice, on two specific days. Same with chocolate pie. There's a certain level of routine and familiarity that's comforting to me. The smells of Thanksgiving when I walk into my parents house makes me eight years old again. That's going to go away soon enough, without my hastening it.

The same thing applies to Memorial Day. This food, shortly after the smell of freshly mown grass is in the air, means it's summer and part of me is a second grader with a baseball bat and glove rising my bike to go play. It can't be changed.

That said, a while back my younger daughter asked why there's a Christmas Eve but not a Thanksgiving Eve. So, now, we have a Thanksgiving Eve with sushi, some good cheese, and spinach-artichoke dip, because she wanted Thanksgiving Eve.

You are an awesome dad. <3
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options

b5db167cbed074e61d8b6bb44a948f2d.jpg

This is totally going to be my mantra from now on.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

That is one tasty-looking zebra.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options

That is one tasty-looking zebra.

I'm naming it Tex.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2015
    Options

Awesome dad comment seconded... and sounds delicious.

Edit due to double quote because of a psychedelic mouse.