Memorial Day plan?!?!

Options

Replies

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Memorial Day will be here before you know it. Usually we smoke brisket and ribs. We also have potato salad, pea salad, baked beans, fruit salad, homemade vanilla ice cream, and peach cobbler with the last of the canned peaches from the summer before.

Anyone have any good ideas for approaching all of this calorie-dense food while still enjoying the unofficial start of summer?

Pre-log. Eat some of everything in reasonable portions.

Don't make enough food for 100 people if there are only 10 people at your house.

Re-think the menu a bit. Maybe do some grilled vegetables/fruits instead of salads.
    Potato salad is somewhat sacred in my family so it would be a must have item. Baked beans are pretty standard. What is in a pea salad besides peas? I would jettison peas from the menu. Fruit salad could go too.

Skip all other food and just eat peach cobbler and vanilla ice cream.
    The problem with not making enough for 100 if there are only 10 is with the variety of dishes. It's hard to make really small amounts of some of the stuff.

The pea salad is peas, boiled eggs, finely grated cheddar, finely chopped onion, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and some mayo to moisten it.

In an emergency, I could just eat a mound of brisket and then the cobbler and ice cream.

This is why you have high levels of obesity ...you call stuff like that "salad"

0935f651f7c398601371d0aaa9215725.jpg

IFLY.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    kkenseth wrote: »
    My main concern, though, is the grazing.

I can get reasonable portions -- maybe unreasonable portions of the brisket and cobbler -- but then the stuff sits there taunting me for the rest of the day. Maybe prelogging will work, but it's harder than usual to stick to it.

The trick to staying slim while being a grazing animal is having at least one predator. Hire a contingent of angry, carnivorous wildcats to stalk you throughout the day. It will keep you moving. A fat zebra is a dinner zebra.
    Or I could hire kkenseth, make fun of teams that wear red, and get an angry predator and someone to steal the snacks right from my hand at the same time.

*nods* My predatory instinct is strong.

Back off the red, Tex. I'll let you become a fat dinner zebra.

I've read all of The Hunger Games. I feel prepared for this challenge.

I always felt The Hunger Games movies franchise missed out on ad revenue opportunity by not doing a cross promotion with Snickers.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Memorial Day will be here before you know it. Usually we smoke brisket and ribs. We also have potato salad, pea salad, baked beans, fruit salad, homemade vanilla ice cream, and peach cobbler with the last of the canned peaches from the summer before.

Anyone have any good ideas for approaching all of this calorie-dense food while still enjoying the unofficial start of summer?

Don't make enough food for 100 people if there are only 10 people at your house.

Re-think the menu a bit. Maybe do some grilled vegetables/fruits instead of salads.
    Potato salad is somewhat sacred in my family so it would be a must have item. Baked beans are pretty standard. What is in a pea salad besides peas? I would jettison peas from the menu. Fruit salad could go too.

The problem with not making enough for 100 if there are only 10 is with the variety of dishes. It's hard to make really small amounts of some of the stuff.

The pea salad is peas, boiled eggs, finely grated cheddar, finely chopped onion, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and some mayo to moisten it.

In an emergency, I could just eat a mound of brisket and then the cobbler and ice cream.

Well, it's not really a casserole. It's not cooked. What would you call it, instead?

Pea and cheese mayo? Tuna and mayonnaise is tuna mayo not tuna salad
    Pea and cheese hash?
  • Sued0nim
    Options

IFLY.

You just FL bacon :)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

Well, it's not really a casserole. It's not cooked. What would you call it, instead?

Pea and cheese mayo? Tuna and mayonnaise is tuna mayo not tuna salad
    Pea and cheese hash?
    Sure it is, all the more so with more ingredients.

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

IFLY.

*nods* Rabbit is wise.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

Since you're within driving distance, I was wondering what time I should be there?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

IFLY.

Why you hatin' on juggernaut love?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

I think there's too much salad and not enough bacon

What kind of half-arsed day is that?

In for more bacon.
    Also bacon on the smoked jalapeño poppers, but those don't always make it onto the menu.

Smoked jalepeno poppers? They'd always make it onto any menu I'd be planning.

They could be the whole menu as far as I'm concerned.

Well, followed up with peach cobbler, of course.

We use Oaxaca cheese, some with shrimp, some without, wrapped in bacon. They are so awesome.

Chorizo stuffed dates, wrapped in bacon, brushed in maple syrup. They're life changing.

I'm not much of a date fan, but bacon and maple. And chorizo. Do you grill them?

I roast them in the oven, but they should work well on the grill as well.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

Since you're within driving distance, I was wondering what time I should be there?
    Around 1:00. The brisket goes on at about 9:00PM the night before.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

IFLY.

Why you hatin' on juggernaut love?

346981a1cf9078a78adcc98072c21876.jpg
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »

Southwest is having a sale on airfare.

I don't see any appetizers on the list. I'll bring guacamole.

Oh. I'll be there for Thanksgiving too, though I may be a tad late. For some insane reason I signed up to run a 5K that day. But it's in the a.m. so there's plenty of time! I make a cornbread-jalapeno stuffing that's to die for.
    We eat a little earlier on Thanksgiving, though... probably around halftime of the Detroit game.

Cornbread jalapeno stuffing sounds awesome. You should post the recipe.
  • auddii
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »

Southwest is having a sale on airfare.

I don't see any appetizers on the list. I'll bring guacamole.

Oh. I'll be there for Thanksgiving too, though I may be a tad late. For some insane reason I signed up to run a 5K that day. But it's in the a.m. so there's plenty of time! I make a cornbread-jalapeno stuffing that's to die for.

Ooh, do you have a recipe for that stuffing; my mom was just complaining that she's tired of the same old stuffing (and apparently my pumpkin bread stuffing is now officially old hat as well).
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    For Thanksgiving, I make an awesome green been salad casserole, with fresh green beans cooked with bacon and homemade stock, homemade mushroom soup with shallots, killer extra sharp cheddar, and Shiner-Bock-battered onions.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    FOUR FREAKING PAGES AND NO ONE HAS POINTED OUT THAT THERE IS NO BEER ON THAT MENU???

What kind of a Memorial Day plan is this?

5591421910_9f4b2f07ea.jpg
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    For Thanksgiving, I make an awesome green been salad casserole, with fresh green beans cooked with bacon and homemade stock, homemade mushroom soup with shallots, killer extra sharp cheddar, and Shiner-Bock-battered onions.

Would you have space for a small Brit at your table?
  • auddii
    Options

Do you want to come up to Plano for the holiday? I'll be home with my parents...
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    I c'n eat my weight in cheese
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    FOUR FREAKING PAGES AND NO ONE HAS POINTED OUT THAT THERE IS NO BEER ON THAT MENU???

What kind of a Memorial Day plan is this?

5591421910_9f4b2f07ea.jpg

Shiner Bock. If you want something different, you have to bring it.