Memorial Day plan?!?!

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Memorial Day will be here before you know it. Usually we smoke brisket and ribs. We also have potato salad, pea salad, baked beans, fruit salad, homemade vanilla ice cream, and peach cobbler with the last of the canned peaches from the summer before.

Anyone have any good ideas for approaching all of this calorie-dense food while still enjoying the unofficial start of summer?

I think there's too much salad and not enough bacon

What kind of half-arsed day is that?
    There's bacon in the baked beans. Duh.

Baked beans come out of a can

With Heinz on the label

*fact*

This is why there's no such thing as British food tourism. Well, part of why.

peyqfh0ytowbkba2ntx2.png
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    mediumdownload.php?file=13634300731559302005.GIF
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,424 Member
    Options
    Memorial Day will be here before you know it. Usually we smoke brisket and ribs. We also have potato salad, pea salad, baked beans, fruit salad, homemade vanilla ice cream, and peach cobbler with the last of the canned peaches from the summer before.

Anyone have any good ideas for approaching all of this calorie-dense food while still enjoying the unofficial start of summer?

Pre-log. Eat some of everything in reasonable portions.

Don't make enough food for 100 people if there are only 10 people at your house.

Re-think the menu a bit. Maybe do some grilled vegetables/fruits instead of salads.
    Potato salad is somewhat sacred in my family so it would be a must have item. Baked beans are pretty standard. What is in a pea salad besides peas? I would jettison peas from the menu. Fruit salad could go too.

Skip all other food and just eat peach cobbler and vanilla ice cream.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »

Don't make enough food for 100 people if there are only 10 people at your house.

Re-think the menu a bit. Maybe do some grilled vegetables/fruits instead of salads.
    Potato salad is somewhat sacred in my family so it would be a must have item. Baked beans are pretty standard. What is in a pea salad besides peas? I would jettison peas from the menu. Fruit salad could go too.

You redeemed yourself...
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

The problem with not making enough for 100 if there are only 10 is with the variety of dishes. It's hard to make really small amounts of some of the stuff.

The pea salad is peas, boiled eggs, finely grated cheddar, finely chopped onion, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and some mayo to moisten it.

In an emergency, I could just eat a mound of brisket and then the cobbler and ice cream.
  • auddii
    Options

The problem with not making enough for 100 if there are only 10 is with the variety of dishes. It's hard to make really small amounts of some of the stuff.

The pea salad is peas, boiled eggs, finely grated cheddar, finely chopped onion, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and some mayo to moisten it.

In an emergency, I could just eat a mound of brisket and then the cobbler and ice cream.

I feel like that would actually have a pretty good macro split.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

This is why you have high levels of obesity ...you call stuff like that "salad"
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    You haven't figured out Memorial Day 2016 yet??? Pshaw...that's so fall 2014.

It's Independence Day 2017 that's going to be the REAL problem. I'm already clutching my pearls fretting over it.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

In for more bacon.
    Also bacon on the smoked jalapeño poppers, but those don't always make it onto the menu.

Smoked jalepeno poppers? They'd always make it onto any menu I'd be planning.

They could be the whole menu as far as I'm concerned.

Well, followed up with peach cobbler, of course.

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    You haven't figured out Memorial Day 2016 yet??? Pshaw...that's so fall 2014.

It's Independence Day 2017 that's going to be the REAL problem. I'm already clutching my pearls fretting over it.

:joy:
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

Well, it's not really a casserole. It's not cooked. What would you call it, instead?

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

0935f651f7c398601371d0aaa9215725.jpg
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

In for more bacon.
    Also bacon on the smoked jalapeño poppers, but those don't always make it onto the menu.

We use Oaxaca cheese, some with shrimp, some without, wrapped in bacon. They are so awesome.
  • auddii
    Options

In for more bacon.

We use Oaxaca cheese, some with shrimp, some without, wrapped in bacon. They are so awesome.

Chorizo stuffed dates, wrapped in bacon, brushed in maple syrup. They're life changing.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

In for more bacon.

Chorizo stuffed dates, wrapped in bacon, brushed in maple syrup. They're life changing.

I'm not much of a date fan, but bacon and maple. And chorizo. Do you grill them?
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

In for more bacon.

Oh, shii......

fbb.gif
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options

0935f651f7c398601371d0aaa9215725.jpg

This is why I always ask for lettuce and tomato on my bacon swiss cheese burger. It's a salad.