Memorial Day plan?!?!

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Memorial Day will be here before you know it. Usually we smoke brisket and ribs. We also have potato salad, pea salad, baked beans, fruit salad, homemade vanilla ice cream, and peach cobbler with the last of the canned peaches from the summer before.

Anyone have any good ideas for approaching all of this calorie-dense food while still enjoying the unofficial start of summer?

I think there's too much salad and not enough bacon

What kind of half-arsed day is that?
    There's bacon in the baked beans. Duh.

Baked beans come out of a can

With Heinz on the label

*fact*
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Memorial Day will be here before you know it. Usually we smoke brisket and ribs. We also have potato salad, pea salad, baked beans, fruit salad, homemade vanilla ice cream, and peach cobbler with the last of the canned peaches from the summer before.

Anyone have any good ideas for approaching all of this calorie-dense food while still enjoying the unofficial start of summer?

Booking a flight!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options

With Heinz on the label

*fact*

Dude! He's from Texas, they don't use cans!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Will there be warm rolls with butter as well?
    Yeast rolls based on my great-grandmother's recipe.

See, this is why it is important that you give us all the information before we give opinions. You left out a key factor. Now you have to balance stomach room with brisket on yeast rolls, against potato salad and pea salad. I'm afraid some of the salad may have to go.
    I should have included them right after the baked beans, since they cook at the same time.

There are no cakes or pies because we have those for dessert more often during the year and cobbler says summer.

NO CAKES N PIES?!?!!

I understand that you feel cobbler is a summer time treat , but just consider this..... One of your guests could have a peach allergy . at that point, they would be forced to have plain ol vanilla ice cream . would that be fair to them? NO!

What type of host are you? You haven't thought of those with peach allergies and are also trying to pass off too many salads as side items.

Memorial day is fast approaching. I would suggest redoing this menu . be considerate to those who do not want fruits and veggies, and bake a delicious cake instead.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

With Heinz on the label

*fact*

I've never been to Texas

I believe lots of people who used to step out with George Strait choose to reside there though
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

How are people supposed to help you log properly and plan for this day if you're not giving us all the information?!

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    It can be really tough to approach holiday food with the right attitude and frame of mind. In your case, I'd start with a hefty serve of the brisket and ribs, with a decent size dollop of each of the salads and the beans. have a short break, with a couple of brewskies to help aid the digestion, then hit the cobbler with ice cream, and finish with the fruit salad if you still have room.

DISAGREE!!!

Why should he wait until almost last for the ice cream, cobbler, and fruits?!?

IMO, I would eat those more delicious items first. Then move on to the other stuff later.

The day after my half marathon I ate ice cream for breakfast. Sorry, not sorry.

I have eaten ice cream for breakfast many times. Its a great start to the day ! Breakfast of champions!!
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

How are people supposed to help you log properly and plan for this day if you're not giving us all the information?!

She got you
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Where's the corn on the cob in all this? It's a food fest after all.

Side note. Do you can your own peaches? This is awesome!!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

*sings* Peaches come from a can, they were put there by a man, in a factory downtoooooowwwnnn, and if I had my little way, I'd eat peaches every day, and dream about you, woommaaaaannnnnnnn
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

*sings* Peaches come from a can, they were put there by a man, in a factory downtoooooowwwnnn, and if I had my little way, I'd eat peaches every day, and dream about you, woommaaaaannnnnnnn

I like you!!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

With Heinz on the label

*fact*

This is why there's no such thing as British food tourism. Well, part of why.
  • Alatariel75
    Options

With Heinz on the label

*fact*

This is why there's no such thing as British food tourism. Well, part of why.

*snortlaugh*
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

See, this is why it is important that you give us all the information before we give opinions. You left out a key factor. Now you have to balance stomach room with brisket on yeast rolls, against potato salad and pea salad. I'm afraid some of the salad may have to go.
    I should have included them right after the baked beans, since they cook at the same time.

There are no cakes or pies because we have those for dessert more often during the year and cobbler says summer.

NO CAKES N PIES?!?!!

I understand that you feel cobbler is a summer time treat , but just consider this..... One of your guests could have a peach allergy . at that point, they would be forced to have plain ol vanilla ice cream . would that be fair to them? NO!

What type of host are you? You haven't thought of those with peach allergies and are also trying to pass off too many salads as side items.

Memorial day is fast approaching. I would suggest redoing this menu . be considerate to those who do not want fruits and veggies, and bake a delicious cake instead.
    "Plain ol vanilla ice cream"? I think you've been making ice cream wrong. Even so, they can put fruit or chocolate syrup or strawberry-jalapeno jelly on it if they don't want to leave it unadorned.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

With Heinz on the label

*fact*

I've never been to Texas

I believe lots of people who used to step out with George Strait choose to reside there though
    You should come to Texas.

As I understand his claim, all of the people who used to step out with George Strait live here.
  • Alatariel75
    Options

NO CAKES N PIES?!?!!

"Plain ol vanilla ice cream"? I think you've been making ice cream wrong. Even so, they can put fruit or chocolate syrup or strawberry-jalapeno jelly on it if they don't want to leave it unadorned.

vanilla ice cream with strawberry jalapeno jelly? I need this.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

Do I have to tell you that there are beans in baked beans, too? Or peaches in peach cobbler? Of course there's bacon in baked beans.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    I give you Heston Blumenthal, Marco Pierre White and Jamie Oliver (but you can keep him)

Oh and http://www.belmond.com/le-manoir-aux-quat-saisons-oxfordshire/le_manoir_menus

:tongue:
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

Yeah, corn on the cob probably is the most obvious missing item. We might have to revisit that, but a traditional menu is a traditional menu. I'm not sure changing it, even for the better, is the way to go. Although, a chipotle compound butter to go on it might swing the balance.