Supplements send 23,000 American's to the Emergency Room

Options
Azexas
Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
I believe that someone doesn't need to take supplements unless they are deficient in something and their doctor recommends it.

A new study came and the results are that over 23,000 Americans have been seen in the Emergency room due to side effects of misusing supplements from 2004 to 2014 and an estimated 2,154 of these end up hospitalized.
An estimated 23,000 emergency department visits in the United States every year are attributed to adverse events related to dietary supplements. Such visits commonly involve cardiovascular manifestations from weight-loss or energy products among young adults and swallowing problems, often associated with micronutrients, among older adults.

I found the article interesting and figured I would pass it along as some food for thought.

Article: http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/supplements-send-thousands-people-emergency-room-every-year-study-finds-n444681

Study from the New England Journal of Medicine: http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMsa1504267

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Considering how many people take supplements, that's a relatively low number. Half the U.S. population takes supplements, so 23,000 out of 250,000,000 isn't all that much.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    And 700,000 for adverse reactions to medicines so I don't think that proves anything.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    happened to a friend of mine, she read too many of the wrong articles online and concluded she had a potassium deficiency - overdid it with the supplements and ended up at the doctors.
  • Azexas
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    Considering how many people take supplements, that's a relatively low number. Half the U.S. population takes supplements, so 23,000 out of 250,000,000 isn't all that much.

it may be a "low" number to some, but I see it as a number that can lowered if people chose only to supplement when they actually needed to.
  • Azexas
    edited October 2015
    Options
    And 700,000 for adverse reactions to medicines so I don't think that proves anything.

Adverse reactions don't always send someone to the hospital though. An adverse reaction could be a headache or a dry mouth.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Azexas wrote: »

Adverse reactions don't always send someone to the hospital though. An adverse reaction could be a headache or a dry mouth.

That was ER visit stats, sorry I should have clarified that.

http://www.drug-injury.com/druginjurycom/2006/10/adverse_drug_ev.html
  • Azexas
    edited October 2015
    Options

That was ER visit stats, sorry I should have clarified that.

http://www.drug-injury.com/druginjurycom/2006/10/adverse_drug_ev.html

MY only concern with your article is this:
    About 33% of the ER visits were the result of allergic reactions, while another third of the visits were attributable to unintentional overdoses; - See more at: http://www.drug-injury.com/druginjurycom/2006/10/adverse_drug_ev.html#sthash.8IAfmkeq.dpuf

An allergic reaction is not something that is always preventable and can't be predicted.

In any case, this thread is about supplements which are not regulated by the FDA not prescribed medications.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

I assume that this thread is meant for those looking for a quick fix-type supplement. Do you believe those looking for a magic pill should know the risks?
  • Azexas
    Options

I assume that this thread is meant for those looking for a quick fix-type supplement. Do you believe those looking for a magic pill should know the risks?

Yes, that is what this thread is about.
  • brower47
    Options

it may be a "low" number to some, but I see it as a number that can lowered if people chose only to supplement when they actually needed to.

Okay, what's your proposed solution?
  • Azexas
    edited October 2015
    Options

Only take supplements when someone is actually deficient in something ( I mentioned this in the OP), education for people looking for quick fixes, and possible get some sort of regulatory body involved to ensure that that is listed as ingredients is actually in the supplement.
    The authorities said they had conducted tests on top-selling store brands of herbal supplements at four national retailers — GNC, Target, Walgreens and Walmart — and found that four out of five of the products did not contain any of the herbs on their labels. The tests showed that pills labeled medicinal herbs often contained little more than cheap fillers like powdered rice, asparagus and houseplants, and in some cases substances that could be dangerous to those with allergies.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/02/03/new-york-attorney-general-targets-supplements-at-major-retailers/
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Only take supplements when someone is actually deficient in something ( I mentioned this in the OP), education for people looking for quick fixes, and possible get some sort of regulatory body involved to ensure that that is listed as ingredients is actually in the supplement.
    The authorities said they had conducted tests on top-selling store brands of herbal supplements at four national retailers — GNC, Target, Walgreens and Walmart — and found that four out of five of the products did not contain any of the herbs on their labels. The tests showed that pills labeled medicinal herbs often contained little more than cheap fillers like powdered rice, asparagus and houseplants, and in some cases substances that could be dangerous to those with allergies.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/02/03/new-york-attorney-general-targets-supplements-at-major-retailers/

Isn't that kinda illegal?
  • Azexas
    Options

Isn't that kinda illegal?

The using fillers and not listed ingredients in the supplements? I'm pretty sure it is, but there isn't really a regulatory body overseeing supplements so the suppliers can kind of do as they see fit unfortunately.
  • brower47
    Options

So you only want people to be able to take Vit C ( and others) with a prescription?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I take supplements so I WON'T be deficient. Waiting until I have a deficiency of B12 (something I supplement) would be way too late -- the effects of B12 deficiency can be permanent and serious.
  • Azexas
    Options

So you only want people to be able to take Vit C ( and others) with a prescription?

Did I say with a prescription? But its a waste of money to take Vitamin C if you already getting enough from your diet. You will be flushing your money down the toilet, literally considering it is a water soluble vitamin. If that's what you want to do, I'm not going to stop you.
  • Azexas
    edited October 2015
    Options

I take supplements so I WON'T be deficient. Waiting until I have a deficiency of B12 (something I supplement) would be way too late -- the effects of B12 deficiency can be permanent and serious.

If thats your plan then fine, but lets say hypothetically, someone is taking Vit D which is a fat soluble vitamin, and they are overdosing themselves because they don't need to take it. They can cause a buildup of calcium in your blood (hypercalcemia), which can cause poor appetite, nausea and vomiting. Weakness, frequent urination and kidney problems also may occur.

Now we have a situation where someone can cause kidney problems due to supplementing when they didn't have to.
  • brower47
    Options

Did I say with a prescription? But its a waste of money to take Vitamin C if you already getting enough from your diet. You will be flushing your money down the toilet, literally considering it is a water soluble vitamin. If that's what you want to do, I'm not going to stop you.

How do you propose to go about educating people?

BTW, I'm all for the FDA being involved in supplements and ensuring that they are what is claimed to be within them.