Supplements send 23,000 American's to the Emergency Room

Options

Replies

• TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I would not trust Vitamin C alone if I had bacterial Pneumonia. I'd take the best antibiotics the doctor had to offer.

I've also had the Pneumonia vaccine. A natural way to alert my body's defences.

What happens when the antibiotics fail? Why not have vitamin C as extra defense? Also vitamin C is an antifungal and you will want that after a strong antibiotic.
  • TheDevastator
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Azexas wrote: »
    Vitamin C treats Pneumonia in high doses.
    Source?

http://orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v06n01.shtml
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    A lady that I used to work for fell for every type of " magic pill" that came out.
    She was so desperate to lose weight, but yet wouldn't listen to the truth ( she was consuming too many calories )
    She got involved with a popular mlm company I warned her that this may not be a good idea. She insisted that her "coach" knew everything about weight loss and health supplements .
    So I left the topic alone. She started using all of their shakes, pills, powders and creams. She ate more pills and powders per day then anyone I ever knew. She said her coach told her to order the entire set and take each daily.
    She ended up in the emergency room after 14 weeks of doing this. She had heart troubles and toxic levels of these drugs in her system.
    She spent 8 weeks in the hospital. While there , the doctors told her exactly what @ninerbuff mentioned above. They said these pills and shakes and powders aren't regulated and often contain other fillers that can be potentially harmful .
    IMO, its not worth the risk at all.
    And the 11lbs she lost while on the pills, she gained it right back while in the hospital. So it was all a waste anyway.

Has your friend fully recovered?
    No. She has many ongoing medical issues related to her mishap with the mlm products. I would suggest anyone thinking about taking these supplements to think twice.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Not very well. And at those doses vitamin C has risks. It have been associated with multiple adverse effects such as blood clotting, death (heart-related), kidney stones, pro-oxidant effects, etc... so much for less side effects.

And still doesn't answer "by the general use of vitamin C" which is what this thread is about.

Why have you tried it? Most if not all the side effects are lies by the medical industry. Vitamin C causes kidney stones? wrong.

General use of vitamin C is for prevention not really a treatment as with most vitamins.

I think you missed the "at these doses" part. They're talking about very high doses, not "general use."
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Not very well. And at those doses vitamin C has risks. It have been associated with multiple adverse effects such as blood clotting, death (heart-related), kidney stones, pro-oxidant effects, etc... so much for less side effects.

And still doesn't answer "by the general use of vitamin C" which is what this thread is about.

Why have you tried it? Most if not all the side effects are lies by the medical industry. Vitamin C causes kidney stones? wrong.

General use of vitamin C is for prevention not really a treatment as with most vitamins.

Lol. And a 1960 quack doctor reference for treating pneumonia?
    Good luck with that.

I've yet to see a hospital guideline that would suggest primary treatment be vitamin C.
    You know why? Because it would be criminal.

Edit: Vitamin C is great - and useful in a lot of things but a) it is NOT a treatment for pneumonia (it might have a preventive role, it might help reduce duration).

Rather than citing a quack - take a look at proper medical sources like the NIH: https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/1001.html

Don't forget to check out the section on kidney stones.
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    I know one vitamin that would have people going to the E.R. and that would be niacin(nicotinic acid). They might think it's an allergic reaction.

Niacin causes the blood vessels to dilate or open up near the skin, which results in a hot, tingling sensation accompanied by a red flushing of the skin.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    I would not trust Vitamin C alone if I had bacterial Pneumonia. I'd take the best antibiotics the doctor had to offer.

I've also had the Pneumonia vaccine. A natural way to alert my body's defences.

What happens when the antibiotics fail? Why not have vitamin C as extra defense? Also vitamin C is an antifungal and you will want that after a strong antibiotic.

There are significantly better treatment options for pneumonia than taking toxic doses of a vitamin. Yogurt and probiotics work just fine after antibiotics.
  • TheDevastator
    Options

Good luck with that.

I've yet to see a hospital guideline that would suggest primary treatment be vitamin C.
    I never suggested that it be the primary treatment. Antibiotics and vitamin C can be used at the same time.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

Good luck with that.

I never suggested that it be the primary treatment. Antibiotics and vitamin C can be used at the same time.

Oh please, your post was one or the other. To whit "Well at least vitamins have less side effects than most drugs and actually treat a disease or issue and not just the symptoms."

Vitamin C does not treat Pneumonia - it reduces duration - the proper treatment is, gasp, drugs.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options

Good luck with that.

Vitamin C has no known indication in the treatment of pneumonia in the capacity you originally suggested, which was "when antibiotics fail." It also had no indication in combination with antibiotics.
  • TheDevastator
    Options

Good luck with that.

Oh please, your post was one or the other. To whit "Well at least vitamins have less side effects than most drugs and actually treat a disease or issue and not just the symptoms."

Vitamin C does not treat Pneumonia - it reduces duration - the proper treatment is, gasp, drugs.

Well when all antibiotics fail, I'll fall back on vitamin C. You can do what ever you want.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options

Good luck with that.

Well when all antibiotics fail, I'll fall back on vitamin C. You can do what ever you want.

That's entirely your choice. Please research the toxicity of long term, high dose Vitamin C use.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Darwin's wager will sort it out I am sure.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    edited October 2015
    Options

Good luck with that.

Well, good luck with that.

Assuming you are taking about bacterial pneumonia the therapy of choice and generally very high success rates will include antibiotics. If antibiotics are not working and the cause is viral, well, then it is anti-virals that should be used.

Not Vitamin C.

You see - despite that poor expression that "drugs don't treat disease just symptoms" the opposite is quite true.

From AIDS to river blindness to, yes, various infectious diseases like pneumonia - these are all treated and possibly cured with drugs. Current therapies to treat and cure cancer may involve drugs - not just targeted chemotherapy but cancer necrosis factors, etc... Insulin and replacement hormones don't treat symptoms but are actual functional cures. Vaccines.

Vitamins are important - but heck, who would treat AIDS or hemorrhagic fever successfully with vitamins?
  • kk_inprogress
    Options

Touché.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    How about a regulatory stamp for purity? The regulatory body can charge the vendor price of testing so there is no tax implication.
    Well, that would have to be accepted by the supplier. Foods that are deemed "organic" don't need the stamp on them. Those that are stamped with "Certified Organic" do pay which is why a company BB won't pay extra to get the stamp for Shakeology. And in supplements, it's all about the money.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

It always does.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Someone mentioned earlier in this thread regulations of the supplement industry. I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but the FDA issued an updated Current Good Manufacturing Practices (CGMPs) for Dietary Supplements back in 2007, and I believe again in 2010.

Companies who want to be certified and label their product as certified cGMP must follow guidelines in manufacturing supplements, herbal formulas, etc. One of those requirements is laboratory testing (independent lab, I believe).

This is one way to find unadulterated supplements, and supplements that contain what they claim. I am a practicing acupuncturist who uses Chinese herbal medicine in my practice. I only buy from cGMP certified manufacturers to insure we provide what we say we are providing.

Source: http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/ucm238182.htm
    Unfortunately the Interim Final Rule can EXEMPT a manufacturer from 100% testing. I believe they have product tested (and I think the manufacturer gives it to them rather than a random test) and if it passes and they have a minimum of complaints, they don't need to have continued monitoring of their product. All that means is that they could give a "pure" product for testing and not have the same manufacturing practices for the rest.
    Whenever a manufacturer can be exempted, expect money to change hands.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Agreed. Thought I'd add this too:

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp0904768

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    A lady that I used to work for fell for every type of " magic pill" that came out.
    She was so desperate to lose weight, but yet wouldn't listen to the truth ( she was consuming too many calories )
    She got involved with a popular mlm company I warned her that this may not be a good idea. She insisted that her "coach" knew everything about weight loss and health supplements .
    So I left the topic alone. She started using all of their shakes, pills, powders and creams. She ate more pills and powders per day then anyone I ever knew. She said her coach told her to order the entire set and take each daily.
    She ended up in the emergency room after 14 weeks of doing this. She had heart troubles and toxic levels of these drugs in her system.
    She spent 8 weeks in the hospital. While there , the doctors told her exactly what @ninerbuff mentioned above. They said these pills and shakes and powders aren't regulated and often contain other fillers that can be potentially harmful .
    IMO, its not worth the risk at all.
    And the 11lbs she lost while on the pills, she gained it right back while in the hospital. So it was all a waste anyway.

Has your friend fully recovered?
    No. She has many ongoing medical issues related to her mishap with the mlm products. I would suggest anyone thinking about taking these supplements to think twice.

Very saddening but did she learn her lesson & has she lost any weight on her own, after regaining what she had lost?