Supplements send 23,000 American's to the Emergency Room

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Look at how many die each year from taking prescribed Rx meds if you want to check out one's risk of actually dying from taking stuff that is dangerous to health.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Look at how many die each year from taking prescribed Rx meds if you want to check out one's risk of actually dying from taking stuff that is dangerous to health.

This thread is not about prescription medications. That is a topic for another thread.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Azexas wrote: »
    brower47 wrote: »
    Considering how many people take supplements, that's a relatively low number. Half the U.S. population takes supplements, so 23,000 out of 250,000,000 isn't all that much.

it may be a "low" number to some, but I see it as a number that can lowered if people chose only to supplement when they actually needed to.

Okay, what's your proposed solution?

Only take supplements when someone is actually deficient in something ( I mentioned this in the OP), education for people looking for quick fixes, and possible get some sort of regulatory body involved to ensure that that is listed as ingredients is actually in the supplement.
    The authorities said they had conducted tests on top-selling store brands of herbal supplements at four national retailers — GNC, Target, Walgreens and Walmart — and found that four out of five of the products did not contain any of the herbs on their labels. The tests showed that pills labeled medicinal herbs often contained little more than cheap fillers like powdered rice, asparagus and houseplants, and in some cases substances that could be dangerous to those with allergies.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/02/03/new-york-attorney-general-targets-supplements-at-major-retailers/

I take supplements so I WON'T be deficient. Waiting until I have a deficiency of B12 (something I supplement) would be way too late -- the effects of B12 deficiency can be permanent and serious.

If thats your plan then fine, but lets say hypothetically, someone is taking Vit D which is a fat soluble vitamin, and they are overdosing themselves because they don't need to take it. They can cause a buildup of calcium in your blood (hypercalcemia), which can cause poor appetite, nausea and vomiting. Weakness, frequent urination and kidney problems also may occur.

Now we have a situation where someone can cause kidney problems due to supplementing when they didn't have to.

I agree that people should only take supplements that they are likely to NEED. I just disagree that supplements are only for those with deficiencies -- many of us take them so we don't get deficient.
  • Azexas
    Options
    Considering how many people take supplements, that's a relatively low number. Half the U.S. population takes supplements, so 23,000 out of 250,000,000 isn't all that much.

it may be a "low" number to some, but I see it as a number that can lowered if people chose only to supplement when they actually needed to.

Only take supplements when someone is actually deficient in something ( I mentioned this in the OP), education for people looking for quick fixes, and possible get some sort of regulatory body involved to ensure that that is listed as ingredients is actually in the supplement.
    The authorities said they had conducted tests on top-selling store brands of herbal supplements at four national retailers — GNC, Target, Walgreens and Walmart — and found that four out of five of the products did not contain any of the herbs on their labels. The tests showed that pills labeled medicinal herbs often contained little more than cheap fillers like powdered rice, asparagus and houseplants, and in some cases substances that could be dangerous to those with allergies.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/02/03/new-york-attorney-general-targets-supplements-at-major-retailers/

I take supplements so I WON'T be deficient. Waiting until I have a deficiency of B12 (something I supplement) would be way too late -- the effects of B12 deficiency can be permanent and serious.

If thats your plan then fine, but lets say hypothetically, someone is taking Vit D which is a fat soluble vitamin, and they are overdosing themselves because they don't need to take it. They can cause a buildup of calcium in your blood (hypercalcemia), which can cause poor appetite, nausea and vomiting. Weakness, frequent urination and kidney problems also may occur.

Now we have a situation where someone can cause kidney problems due to supplementing when they didn't have to.

I agree that people should only take supplements that they are likely to NEED. I just disagree that supplements are only for those with deficiencies -- many of us take them so we don't get deficient.

I can understand where you are coming from.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options

...you mean like the number of cancer patients who die while taking chemo drugs? Correlation, causation, and all that.

How about the number of cancer patients who die while undertaking a wholistic regimen (Steve Jobs)?

How about prescription insulin? Antibiotics? Beta blockers?
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    What is happening in this thread? OP posted an interesting article about supplements without giving any demands or suggestions. It's an interesting article. Some of us like to see information being provided around here.

It just feels like a lot is being read into this thread that's not there. It's also mostly impossible to convince Americans to lose weight, and yet here we are on a whole site/app/message board for it. Maybe we should all go home.

Just asking questions. Motivation, intent and how worthwhile something is seems important. Should people not ask questions?
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    1/2 are adults age 20 to 34 and unsupervised children. How does the unsupervised child find the ER?
  • Azexas
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    1/2 are adults age 20 to 34 and unsupervised children. How does the unsupervised child find the ER?

I think it would depend on the age we are defining child as. Someone who is 14-18 I'm sure could find their way to the emergency room or urgent care.

As for the younger children ( I'm just speculating here) were maybe unsupervised when the room what ever supplement it was and then the parents had to take them to the ER.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Hey, we still have rampant herbals on our shelves here in Canada, too.

Lakota2012_Topical_Arthritis_RO_3D_large.jpg?v=1418331510

http://www.bna.com/lakota-herbal-supplements-n17179881209/

@stevencloser that link to the FDA 1994 sidestep lists the requirements. I don't know if there is a fine or other penalty if testing shows there is sawdust instead of a claimed active ingredient. I know the FDA is not testing these remedies.

The FDA doesn't bother listing those sorts of violations in their regulations because they are already covered under other legal code prohibiting false advertising.

ETA: That said, someone has to bring a case against the offender, or this never gets prosecuted.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Interesting @stealthq . The Lakota link I provided above was a judgement of false advertising. The Lakota people are not associated with these "health" products at all.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

The supplements I take are ones you don't become deficient in. They provide an action I feel my body needs.

As an example, I take Turmeric and black pepper extracts for anti inflammatory benefits.

As for the missing ingredients that is illegal surely? And they should be very heavily fined.

You can't keep legislating for peoples ignorance I guess is what I am trying to say. If they choose to take/eat/drink anything without knowing what is in it or what it can do to them then I doubt legislation would stop them.

• extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

I would think once the adult begins supervising again and notices the child having adverse reactions, he or she would get the child to the ER pretty quickly.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Unless one ends up being one of those 23,000.
    Reality is most people don't care about any risk unless it happens to them on a personal level. They then become ambassadors for awareness.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    If some don't know it, supplements because of lax regulation by the DSHEA commonly have contaminants in them. Since they are mostly manufactured by 3rd parties and many of the raw materials come from countries that don't regulate purity, finding trace ingredients not on the label of a product are common.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    ...1/2 are adults age 20 to 34...
    ..."Weight-loss or energy products caused more than half these visits, commonly for cardiac symptoms," they added. These included rapid heartbeat, chest pain and heart palpitations...

Based upon those two quotes from the study, it's not too hard to do the math. The majority of these cases are from stimulants (energy drinks, pre-workout concoctions, "fat burner" supplements, etc.). They're basically legalized speed. Couple the stimulant ingredients with the manic "more must be better!" attitude many have toward weight loss and it's not hard to imagine that a lot of people significantly exceed a safe intake level in hopes of "seeing those pounds melt away!!!1!!".

The reality is that people aren't overdosing and going to the ER from taking multivitamins and protein shakes. They're OD'ing because they're basically tweakers, whether they realize it or not.
  • Azexas
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If some don't know it, supplements because of lax regulation by the DSHEA commonly have contaminants in them. Since they are mostly manufactured by 3rd parties and many of the raw materials come from countries that don't regulate purity, finding trace ingredients not on the label of a product are common.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I agree. I think that is a big problem in the supplement industry.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    A lady that I used to work for fell for every type of " magic pill" that came out.
    She was so desperate to lose weight, but yet wouldn't listen to the truth ( she was consuming too many calories )
    She got involved with a popular mlm company I warned her that this may not be a good idea. She insisted that her "coach" knew everything about weight loss and health supplements .
    So I left the topic alone. She started using all of their shakes, pills, powders and creams. She ate more pills and powders per day then anyone I ever knew. She said her coach told her to order the entire set and take each daily.
    She ended up in the emergency room after 14 weeks of doing this. She had heart troubles and toxic levels of these drugs in her system.
    She spent 8 weeks in the hospital. While there , the doctors told her exactly what @ninerbuff mentioned above. They said these pills and shakes and powders aren't regulated and often contain other fillers that can be potentially harmful .
    IMO, its not worth the risk at all.
    And the 11lbs she lost while on the pills, she gained it right back while in the hospital. So it was all a waste anyway.
  • Azexas
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    A lady that I used to work for fell for every type of " magic pill" that came out.
    She was so desperate to lose weight, but yet wouldn't listen to the truth ( she was consuming too many calories )
    She got involved with a popular mlm company I warned her that this may not be a good idea. She insisted that her "coach" knew everything about weight loss and health supplements .
    So I left the topic alone. She started using all of their shakes, pills, powders and creams. She ate more pills and powders per day then anyone I ever knew. She said her coach told her to order the entire set and take each daily.
    She ended up in the emergency room after 14 weeks of doing this. She had heart troubles and toxic levels of these drugs in her system.
    She spent 8 weeks in the hospital. While there , the doctors told her exactly what @ninerbuff mentioned above. They said these pills and shakes and powders aren't regulated and often contain other fillers that can be potentially harmful .
    IMO, its not worth the risk at all.
    And the 11lbs she lost while on the pills, she gained it right back while in the hospital. So it was all a waste anyway.

Has your friend fully recovered?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    @stevencloser, the trick with the American 1994 sidestep is that these supplements can go unregulated as long as they make no special claims.

@brower47 there are many more levels of regulation besides prescription. The manufacturer might be constrained on how they label their product, list the percentage active ingredient, and be fined if they lie.
    Canada has gone the way of licensing "Natural Health Products"

I believe most European countries require a prescription for supplements also.

Nope. There are very few supplements that require a prescription here.
    The issues you raise are real (but minor compared to drug drug and drug disease interactions).

Prescription control is the wrong answer for these products because their utility outweighs the cost/need of having a consultation as the watch dog for them. Clearly physician prescriptions have not eliminated drug drug issues. Improved education and personal responsibility are really, IMHO, the useful limits - you won't reduce the risk to zero - whether it is tobacco, alcohol or supplements people will use and misuse.
  • Azexas
    Options
    @stevencloser, the trick with the American 1994 sidestep is that these supplements can go unregulated as long as they make no special claims.

@brower47 there are many more levels of regulation besides prescription. The manufacturer might be constrained on how they label their product, list the percentage active ingredient, and be fined if they lie.
    Canada has gone the way of licensing "Natural Health Products"

I believe most European countries require a prescription for supplements also.

Nope. There are very few supplements that require a prescription here.
    The issues you raise are real (but minor compared to drug drug and drug disease interactions).

Prescription control is the wrong answer for these products because their utility outweighs the cost/need of having a consultation as the watch dog for them. Clearly physician prescriptions have not eliminated drug drug issues. Improved education and personal responsibility are really, IMHO, the useful limits - you won't reduce the risk to zero - whether it is tobacco, alcohol or supplements people will use and misuse.

I am not asking for prescription requirements for supplements. I was jus trying to add on to what another poster had said.

What I am saying is that I believe there needs some better regulations over the companies that do make the supplements so what a consumer is getting what they actually are paying for and better education for people so they don't take things that they don't necessarily need which could prevent harm.