Diet soda? Really that bad?

Options
So I have read how horrible regular soda is but how about diet soda? Every time I have one I feel like I crave sugar afterwards. Does anyone else feel the same way? I need to kick the habit of drinking it! Any suggestions?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    If you need to stop, why does it matter if it's really good or bad? Just stop drinking it.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Regular soda is fine.
    Diet soda is fine.

Everything is fine when taken in the correct dosage and looked upon in the correct context.

I have never 'craved sugar' after drinking diet soda, or for that matter after eating or drinking anything.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is fine for most people. If you feel like it makes you crave sugar, then you might not want to drink it for that reason. I don't have that issue.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    I usually find a diet soda quenches my craving for something sweet to eat and does not make me want to eat more.
  • PeiDub
    PeiDub Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking soda for a few years. Since re-introducing it to my diet, I've actually found that it curbs my sugar cravings.

But if you're finding the opposite, then yeah, you should probably stop drinking it.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Drinking them all day long is bad for you in more ways than one (diet or not), but having one or two a day I think is fine. It should never trump getting enough water in a day....

If it some sort of a trigger for wanting sweets then ditch it.
  • ktuofa
    ktuofa Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    thank you! yeah maybe I am the only one with the sugar cravings afterwards. I used to drink it all the time and have since only drink it with alcoholic beverages. I need to find a new alcoholic drink with out the diet soda.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    Drinking them all day long is bad for you in more ways than one (diet or not), but having one or two a day I think is fine. It should never trump getting enough water in a day....
    They're almost all water, anyway.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda every day.
  • maidentl
    Options

Diet soda is 99% water, so not getting enough wouldn't be an issue.
  • maidentl
    Options
    ktuofa wrote: »
    thank you! yeah maybe I am the only one with the sugar cravings afterwards. I used to drink it all the time and have since only drink it with alcoholic beverages. I need to find a new alcoholic drink with out the diet soda.

This sounds good: food.com/recipe/skinny-margarita-358803
  • ktuofa
    ktuofa Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

This sounds good: food.com/recipe/skinny-margarita-358803

That does sound good! Thank you! I will try that!

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options

You're going to receive a lot of different responses, but it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. It's a personal thing and how it affects YOU. If you feel it triggers cravings then cut down or eliminate it. You can mix alcoholic drinks with things like Crystal Light or Mio or whatever water flavorings. As usual, read the labels on whichever you decide to buy.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options

Yes, but water is a heck of a lot better than getting your fluids in from diet soda all day long.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Yes, but water is a heck of a lot better than getting your fluids in from diet soda all day long.

How so?
  • DeguelloTex
    edited October 2015
    Options

Which has nothing to do with "trump[ing] getting enough water in a day," even if true.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    For years (decades), I drank diet soda every day and drank lots of it. I had it when I was gaining weight and when I was losing weight. I had diet soda some days that I drank no water at all (your body uses the water from diet soda). The only thing that ever happened to me is that I craved more diet soda if I hadn't had any for awhile.

I cut back last month, went a few weeks with no diet soda at all. I've had some since then, but not every day and not generally as much each day. The reason I cut back was because I felt like I needed it (I did have some withdrawal at first) and I'm spending a week hiking in Nov. where I won't be able to filter Diet Pepsi out of the river. I wanted to get past the withdrawal before going out in the wilderness.

Is it bad? Overall, no. Some people have rare genetic issues that make aspartame a problem. Many diet sodas have started to switch to sucralose as a sweetener instead of aspartame. Sucralose is natural... it is actually sugar, except atoms are removed to make it impossible for our bodies to absorb. So it just passes through...

However, if you experience is that it makes you hungry and you are trying to lose weight, then I can understand why you would want to cut it from your diet.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

Me too. My favorite is Wegman's Cherry Wedge.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    i find that diet soda is bad in the taste department for sure...
  • maidentl
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

Me too. My favorite is Wegman's Cherry Wedge.

I don't know what that is, but it sounds good!