Diet soda? Really that bad?

Options

Replies

• valeriesmith1840
    valeriesmith1840 Posts: 41 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I don't know. I am really leery of soda altogether. I cut it out and really only drink water and coffee now. I know that sounds really boring for some folks, but now that I'm not hooked on it for the caffeine fix or the sugar fix I'd actually prefer not to drink it. The acid isn't good for your teeth anyhow - doesn't matter if it's diet or regular - and the caramel coloring is said to be a carcinogen.

Yeah yeah I know not everyone believes this. There are studies that say it's unsafe and studies that say in moderation it's fine. You will find someone who supports the argument on both sides of the fence no matter where you stand on soda. Sure, if you drink a can a day you're probably not going to lose your teeth or die and early death. I just decided to give it up altogether. I think it made me more thirsty when I would drink it...it is REALLY easy to drink three cans like nothing! LOL Besides, water is cheaper.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    cbelc2 wrote: »
    There was a study reported by the National kidney foundation. Google 'nkf say no to that diet soda'. I stopped drinking them the day I read it. They might not be the best drink. In fact, I went off the deep end and stopped all added sweeteners including artificial. I feel better and have no sugar cravings.

So I googled this, I'm easily suggestable today. This was a finding in the Nurses Health Study. They saw some aspect of kidney function declined more in the women who drank 2 or more diet sodas per day than it did in women who drank 1diet soda or less per day. They did not specify if they knew which diet sodas were involved and what ingredient may or may not be the cause. The finding has not been confirmed by any other studies. The vast majority of the subjects in the Nurses Health Study are white women, so they have no idea if this correlation persists in men or in other races. So even if you assume the correlation is in actuality causation, you still only need to limit yourself to one per day.

I usually drink one soda on most days. If I have the calories, I drink regular. If I don't, I drink diet. My favorite is Diet Dr. Pepper. It really does taste more like regular, in my opinion. But then I started this by saying I'm suggestable. And now you know I'm a pepper.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    ki4eld wrote: »
    ki4eld wrote: »
    Except for Diet Mt Dew, which just tastes like battery acid and orange juice strained through a little meth,

That must be why I like it so much.

I can't drink regular soda anymore. It tastes like drinking maple syrup or something, too sticky and does not quench my thirst. Diet Dew is my fave followed by Diet Coke. Used to be a big Diet Pepsi fan but their sweetener change has thrown off the taste to me and I can't adapt to change. During the week I drink caffeine free diet coke (so like, flavored carbonated water?) so that the caffeine does not throw off my sleep cycle. I drink 1-2 cups of coffee in the mornings too every day. I don't believe there's anything 'bad' about diet soda, or that it's any worse than any of the other 'crap' I consume on a regular basis. You can have my diet soda when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

We need to party together.

That is all.

Name the date. I'll bring the battery acid, you bring the meth.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Nuke_64 wrote: »
    I was not trying to derail this thread and talk about the health of milk. Our current and past pediatrician told us less than 5 oz of milk a day and preferably none. The video I linked goes into to some of these issues more. I leave it at that.

My point was I like many people here see no problems with drinking diet soda because the arguments against them have no good science supporting them. On this topic "Diet soda, really that bad?" if you are in the same camp as me, do you let your kids drink soda?

Sorry don't have kids (thank goodness for the kids) but this question has lurked in the back of my mind as well. Mostly because I see a lot of parents giving their kids juice. And juice is universally hated as being pretty useless on here, right? High calorie, low nutritional content.

On the other hand, growing kids do need more calories than adults. Obviously the 'right' answer is probably water only and then fresh fruits/veggies (or even homemade smoothies) rather than some pre-packaged drink. I wasn't 'allowed' diet soda until I was much older, and we were allowed 7-up/Sprite on occasion as a treat even though my parents were diet soda drinkers. Can't say it helped either one of us avoid obesity, seems like the 'occasional treat' would be better off as diet. So I'm up in the air. My logical brain says diet soda is better than juice as a 'treat' for kids. My American upbringing says you don't let kids have 'diet' until they are older and you know you aren't causing some adverse effects on their growth.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's enough practical evidence one way or another. The kind of parent likely to limit soda/juice probably puts a lot of effort into making sure their kid eats healthy. The kind of parent that lets their kid drink a lot of soda, diet or otherwise, probably orders pizza every 2 days for the family. So who knows.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Name the date. I'll bring the battery acid, you bring the meth.

I was born and raised in the Meth Capital of Florida, so this isn't as difficult as you think. Got the juice thing too.
    I've never tasted battery acid or rabid monkey *kitten* so I can neither confirm or deny this statement. But I do applaud your culinary adventurism.

It's the meth. And the monkey *kitten*, because that stuff will make you do some crazy stuff.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I am really leery of soda altogether. I cut it out and really only drink water and coffee now. I know that sounds really boring for some folks, but now that I'm not hooked on it for the caffeine fix or the sugar fix I'd actually prefer not to drink it. The acid isn't good for your teeth anyhow - doesn't matter if it's diet or regular - and the caramel coloring is said to be a carcinogen.

Yeah yeah I know not everyone believes this. There are studies that say it's unsafe and studies that say in moderation it's fine. You will find someone who supports the argument on both sides of the fence no matter where you stand on soda. Sure, if you drink a can a day you're probably not going to lose your teeth or die and early death. I just decided to give it up altogether. I think it made me more thirsty when I would drink it...it is REALLY easy to drink three cans like nothing! LOL Besides, water is cheaper.

Coffee is acidic too (just as, or even moreso, than soda). If you are worried about that, then you should probably cut it out too.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I was not trying to derail this thread and talk about the health of milk. Our current and past pediatrician told us less than 5 oz of milk a day and preferably none. The video I linked goes into to some of these issues more. I leave it at that.

My point was I like many people here see no problems with drinking diet soda because the arguments against them have no good science supporting them. On this topic "Diet soda, really that bad?" if you are in the same camp as me, do you let your kids drink soda?

Sorry don't have kids (thank goodness for the kids) but this question has lurked in the back of my mind as well. Mostly because I see a lot of parents giving their kids juice. And juice is universally hated as being pretty useless on here, right? High calorie, low nutritional content.

On the other hand, growing kids do need more calories than adults. Obviously the 'right' answer is probably water only and then fresh fruits/veggies (or even homemade smoothies) rather than some pre-packaged drink. I wasn't 'allowed' diet soda until I was much older, and we were allowed 7-up/Sprite on occasion as a treat even though my parents were diet soda drinkers. Can't say it helped either one of us avoid obesity, seems like the 'occasional treat' would be better off as diet. So I'm up in the air. My logical brain says diet soda is better than juice as a 'treat' for kids. My American upbringing says you don't let kids have 'diet' until they are older and you know you aren't causing some adverse effects on their growth.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's enough practical evidence one way or another. The kind of parent likely to limit soda/juice probably puts a lot of effort into making sure their kid eats healthy. The kind of parent that lets their kid drink a lot of soda, diet or otherwise, probably orders pizza every 2 days for the family. So who knows.

Juice is bad for kids teeth, unless accompanying meals

Milk is on the other hand good for kids teeth, contains calcium, and a good burst of calories, fat, and some vitamin a and c

I have never heard a paed advise avoiding milk unless lactose intolerance is a factor
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    ktuofa wrote: »
    So I have read how horrible regular soda is but how about diet soda? Every time I have one I feel like I crave sugar afterwards. Does anyone else feel the same way? I need to kick the habit of drinking it! Any suggestions?

Have you tried kombucha? It's lo cal and fizzy, it's actually good for you, probiotics, healthy acids etc.
    I am not habitual with diet soda, but for a few times in college. I remembered thinking I associated it with weight gain. I'm not sure how, but I think that's legitimate. Well anyway, I question that they are very good for you!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I drink 4-5 csns of diet pop a day. I rarely drink anything else except a small cup of tea before bed. It will have to be pried out of my cold, dead hands.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    lol!
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Whenever I see someone say that soft drink will rot your teeth, I always wonder if those people have ever heard of a toothbrush and toothpaste.

I am a heavy drinker of diet coke and my dentist loves my teeth. No pits, cavities, fillings, nothing.
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I feel for me personally diet soda does make me crave something more. Sometimes just additional food in general and not specifically sweets. Makes me drink less actual water too. Giving it up unfortunately at least in frequency. Maybe a few a week I'll do.
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Wow. I'm kind of amazed by this thread. Lots of pro- diet soda people out there.

As a kid I got totally addicted to diet coke. I'm talking addicted. Didn't feel healthy, didn't feel right. I think there is some bad stuff inside those cans. But thats just like, my opinion, man...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    ReeseG4350 wrote: »
    Here's the drill. Your body does not know the difference between "real" sugar and "artificial" (chemically compounded) sugar. It responds the same way regardless. "artificial" sugars will cause fluctuations in insulin as well as trigger those 'sugar cravings' so many 'sugar junkies' (of which I am one) suffer.

Incorrect. Why would the American Diabetes Association recommend diet soda as a substitute if it jacked with one's insulin and glucose levels?
    What Can I Drink?

Food often takes center stage when it comes to diabetes. But don't forget that the beverages you drink can also have an effect on your weight and blood glucose!

We recommend choosing zero-calorie or very low-calorie drinks. This includes:

Water
    Unsweetened teas
    Coffee
    Diet soda
    Other low-calorie drinks and drink mixes

You can also try flavoring your water with a squeeze of lemon or lime juice for a light, refreshing drink with some flavor. All of these drinks provide minimal calories and carbohydrate.
    - See more at: http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/making-healthy-food-choices/what-can-i-drink.html?loc=ff-slabnav#sthash.B5P34KB8.dpuf

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    Whenever I see someone say that soft drink will rot your teeth, I always wonder if those people have ever heard of a toothbrush and toothpaste.

I am a heavy drinker of diet coke and my dentist loves my teeth. No pits, cavities, fillings, nothing.
    Same here. Over 35 years of REGULARLY drinking soda (regular till I turned about 25) and haven't yet been told the enamel on my teeth are in bad shape. I had a couple of cavities when I was younger, but what kid didn't?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    toe1226 wrote: »
    Wow. I'm kind of amazed by this thread. Lots of pro- diet soda people out there.

As a kid I got totally addicted to diet coke. I'm talking addicted. Didn't feel healthy, didn't feel right. I think there is some bad stuff inside those cans. But thats just like, my opinion, man...
    Pro diet soda because PEER REVIEWED CLINICAL STUDIES don't show it's detrimental even if you have it daily. Of course if you're drinking a couple of cases a day you'll probably have an issue, but that would be the same for ANYTHING one drank including water if your sodium and potassium isn't monitored along with it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    ktuofa wrote: »
    So I have read how horrible regular soda is but how about diet soda? Every time I have one I feel like I crave sugar afterwards. Does anyone else feel the same way? I need to kick the habit of drinking it! Any suggestions?

Have you tried kombucha? It's lo cal and fizzy, it's actually good for you, probiotics, healthy acids etc.
    I am not habitual with diet soda, but for a few times in college. I remembered thinking I associated it with weight gain. I'm not sure how, but I think that's legitimate. Well anyway, I question that they are very good for you!

How can you gain weight from diet soda when it has no calories?
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Same here. Over 35 years of REGULARLY drinking soda (regular till I turned about 25) and haven't yet been told the enamel on my teeth are in bad shape. I had a couple of cavities when I was younger, but what kid didn't?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Actually...not me? Maybe I have magic teeth. Or the fact that my parents made us brush our teeth every night and every morning...?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options

Actually, you'd be better off having a glass of water (or rinsing thoroughly with water) after soda, coffee, juice, etc., and waiting a bit before brushing, rather than brushing immediately after acidic drinks that soften the enamel.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Was this directed at my comment about juice? Did you read what I said?dietcoke is the better dental choice
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Juice is bad for kids teeth, unless accompanying meals

Milk is on the other hand good for kids teeth, contains calcium, and a good burst of calories, fat, and some vitamin a and c

I have never heard a paed advise avoiding milk unless lactose intolerance is a factor

It's about raising the ph of the mouth, diet drinks don't do this ...

You should never brush your teeth within 30 minutes of eating foods that raise the ph of your mouth ...you can neutralise with cheese

it's standard dental advice, I'm surprised you haven't heard this before