Diet soda? Really that bad?

Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    i find that diet soda is bad in the taste department for sure...

This is what I find also. I'm not a huge fan of the flavor of diet soda. Esp Diet Mountain Dew. I wan tto know what villain thought that one up.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    maidentl wrote: »
    Drinking them all day long is bad for you in more ways than one (diet or not), but having one or two a day I think is fine. It should never trump getting enough water in a day....

If it some sort of a trigger for wanting sweets then ditch it.

Diet soda is 99% water, so not getting enough wouldn't be an issue.

Yes, but water is a heck of a lot better than getting your fluids in from diet soda all day long.

How so?

Well, I see people on a regular basis whose teeth are covered in acid erosion due to their love of soda. Diet or not.
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    I find that the carbonation from the diet soda helps me feel fuller than if I were just to drink my usual water. That said, I try to only drink it a couple times a week for my teeth's sake.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    cityruss wrote: »
    Regular soda is fine.
    Diet soda is fine.

Everything is fine when taken in the correct dosage and looked upon in the correct context.

I have never 'craved sugar' after drinking diet soda, or for that matter after eating or drinking anything.

This 100%.

Re: the water issue - your body gets water from all the foods and drinks we take in all day. The body doesn't care where it comes from. One could be perfectly hydrated and theoretically not drink a drop of water all day long.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    ktuofa wrote: »
    thank you! yeah maybe I am the only one with the sugar cravings afterwards. I used to drink it all the time and have since only drink it with alcoholic beverages. I need to find a new alcoholic drink with out the diet soda.

While you may be the only one on this thread with the sugar cravings afterwards, there is a neurological reason for this to occur.

Gain weight by “going diet?” Artificial sweeteners and the neurobiology of sugar cravings

...These pilot investigations are consistent with a revised hypothesis: Sweetness decoupled from caloric content offers partial, but not complete, activation of the food reward pathways. Activation of the hedonic component may contribute to increased appetite. Animals seek food to satisfy the inherent craving for sweetness, even in the absence of energy need. Lack of complete satisfaction, likely because of the failure to activate the postingestive component, further fuels the food seeking behavior. Reduction in reward response may contribute to obesity. Impaired activation of the mesolimbic pathways following milkshake ingestion was observed in obese adolescent girls [45].
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    ktuofa wrote: »
    So I have read how horrible regular soda is but how about diet soda? Every time I have one I feel like I crave sugar afterwards. Does anyone else feel the same way? I need to kick the habit of drinking it! Any suggestions?

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-drinks-full-story/
  • Azexas
    edited October 2015
    Drinking them all day long is bad for you in more ways than one (diet or not), but having one or two a day I think is fine. It should never trump getting enough water in a day....

Yes, but water is a heck of a lot better than getting your fluids in from diet soda all day long.

How so?

Well, I see people on a regular basis whose teeth are covered in acid erosion due to their love of soda. Diet or not.

There are a lot of things that can cause acid erosion... It's not always soda.
    Diagnosing acid erosion

Patients at risk of developing acid erosion can be proactively identified using risk factors and lifestyle.

Patients at risk of acid erosion include:
    People who snack frequently throughout the day
    Patients consuming diets with high levels of fruit and fruit juices
    Patients with eating disorders
    Patients with gastric reflux
    Soda swishers

http://www.dental-professional.com/Conditions_AcidErosion.aspx
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member

How so?

I think that's due to poor dental hygiene and/or other factors. I have been drinking diet soda daily for at least a couple of decades and my teeth are fine.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Azexas wrote: »

This is what I find also. I'm not a huge fan of the flavor of diet soda. Esp Diet Mountain Dew. I wan tto know what villain thought that one up.

Hey, I'm drinking a diet Mtn Dew right now. GRANTED! the ones made with real sugar are the best, but this hits the spot on the occasion I want it. Now, if only they offered Live Wire made with sugar...
  • Azexas

Hey, I'm drinking a diet Mtn Dew right now. GRANTED! the ones made with real sugar are the best, but this hits the spot on the occasion I want it. Now, if only they offered Live Wire made with sugar...

Now I want live wire with sugar, I blame you! Kidding.

But I agree the ones made with real sugar taste better to me at least. I can't get behind Diet mountain Dew though. I've tried and failed.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    Artificial sweeteners cause recalcitrant plebney. I read it "Natural Health" magazine
  • Azexas
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    Artificial sweeteners cause recalcitrant plebney. I read it "Natural Health" magazine

Can you post the link? When I google no articles can be found?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I found recalcitrant plebney on my first google hit.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member

Oh noes! I must have that for sure.
  • Azexas
    jgnatca wrote: »

Now I feel stupid :D
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member

How so?

There are a lot of things that can cause acid erosion... It's not always soda.
    Diagnosing acid erosion

Patients at risk of developing acid erosion can be proactively identified using risk factors and lifestyle.

Patients at risk of acid erosion include:
    People who snack frequently throughout the day
    Patients consuming diets with high levels of fruit and fruit juices
    Patients with eating disorders
    Patients with gastric reflux
    Soda swishers

http://www.dental-professional.com/Conditions_AcidErosion.aspx

I'm a dental professional already, but thanks! :)

• ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member

That's what you get for listening to a professional scientician. :wink:
  • Azexas

That's what you get for listening to a professional scientician. :wink:

Lesson learned :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator

Ever do a blind taste test with Mtn Dew? I have, along with 5 friends, and no one could tell the different between MtDew with HFCS and real sugar. All could tell the difference between reg and diet.

I drink 2 diet dews a day. I enjoy the taste and it doesn't have a lot of calories. But I also drink 120-150+ oz of water a day on top.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    As far as the taste of diet vs. regular, there is actually a quite interesting tie-in to the whole New Coke fiasco.

Here are the facts of the New Coke issue, for those who are interested:
    1. Coke and Diet Coke do not taste the same... they are not intended to taste the same. They are intentionally made with 2 distinctly different tastes.
    2. In blind taste tests, the favored tastes were, in order of most favored to least favored: Pepsi, Diet Coke, Coke.
    3. Coca-Cola was losing market share to Pepsi and needed to come up with something new. They already had a product that was proven to taste better than Coke. So the solution was to take the flavor of Diet Coke and make it in a beverage with sugar and HFCS - i.e. Coke.
    4. New Coke was the flavor of Diet Coke, which consumers overwhemingly agreed had a more favorable taste than Coke.
    5. A small but vocal group of nostalgic Americans fought back hard after New Coke was released. It only took a few months for Coke to give in and bring back the Classic Coke flavor.
    6. New Coke (the flavor) is still sold in some parts of the world, and the flavor is sold in calorie-free Diet Coke in the United States still.

So... Diet Coke was chosen by customers as a better tasting flavor than Classic Coke, but a few nostalgic Americans ruined that. To be fair, the leader of the movement to bring back Coke even chose Diet Coke as a better taste in a blind taste test, but nostalgia overpowered taste.