Diet soda? Really that bad?

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Diet soda is only bad if it's Diet Pepsi.

Pepsi is what you buy when they dont have coke :confounded:

I still don't understand why waiters give me weird looks when I order a coke, they ask if pepsi is ok, and instead I ask for water...

Pepsi tastes like watered down flat coke to me... I'd much prefer water :tongue:
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options

agree it just isnt right, same as pepsi max
    coke zero all the way for me
    i guess i am doomed
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    An interesting story - Years ago, because Coke was losing soft drink market share to Pepsi, they did taste tests. They found that consumers preferred Pepsi to Coke. They also found that consumers preferred Diet Coke's flavor over Coke (yes, Diet Coke has an intentionally different flavor than regular Coke), though Pepsi still beat out both Diet Coke and Coke.

Because the flavor of Diet Coke was better than that of Coke and because Coca-Cola did not own the rights to the flavor most preferred by consumers in taste tests, the strategy was clear. Coke would start making the caloric beverage (Coke) with the flavor of Diet Coke. They knew it would be a hit because they had already done taste testing that proved consumers loved the taste. So the new product with calories (sugar & HFCS) and Diet Coke flavor was created and marketed as New Coke. A fight of taste over nostalgia occurred, and nostalgia won. Coca-Cola brought back the original Coke flavor and called it Classic Coke. This flavor is on the shelf today in caloric form. The flavor of New Coke / Diet Coke is also on store shelves in non-caloric form as Diet Coke. I've heard that the New Coke flavor exists in caloric form in some countries, but I'm not sure which countries would have it.

I personally prefer Diet Pepsi.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I'm not sold on the Diet Pepsi without aspertame. I always prefer Pepsi Max or Coke Zero to the other diets, but this formula change has been disappointing.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

Pepsi is what you buy when they dont have coke :confounded:

When they don't have Coke, I go with water!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    More pepsi for me then.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    It's like 7 up doesn't exist
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    It's like 7 up doesn't exist

Diet Cherry 7-Up is good stuff.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    I'm not sold on the Diet Pepsi without aspertame. I always prefer Pepsi Max or Coke Zero to the other diets, but this formula change has been disappointing.

Same! I've had to make the full switch to Diet Coke (used to drink both, depending on my mood).

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Can anyone from Australia answer this.

Why isn't diet vanilla coke sold everywhere coke is?

Coles/woolies sell coke, diet, zero, vanilla, caffeine free etc but not diet vanilla?

I have found one petrol station that sold it but now they haven't for weeks.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Can anyone from Australia answer this.

Why isn't diet vanilla coke sold everywhere coke is?

Coles/woolies sell coke, diet, zero, vanilla, caffeine free etc but not diet vanilla?

I have found one petrol station that sold it but now they haven't for weeks.

Because we have cottoned on that Diet Vanilla Coke is a vile, evil thing that should actually goes against the Geneva convention regarding torture?

I hate full-strength coke, and only drink diet - unless I'm drinking Vanilla Coke :)
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    ktuofa wrote: »
    So I have read how horrible regular soda is but how about diet soda? Every time I have one I feel like I crave sugar afterwards. Does anyone else feel the same way? I need to kick the habit of drinking it! Any suggestions?

Have you tried kombucha? It's lo cal and fizzy, it's actually good for you, probiotics, healthy acids etc.
    I am not habitual with diet soda, but for a few times in college. I remembered thinking I associated it with weight gain. I'm not sure how, but I think that's legitimate. Well anyway, I question that they are very good for you!

How can you gain weight from diet soda when it has no calories?

I have read that it can raise your blood sugar. For me, weight loss is not just about losing weight, but about results.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    So I have read how horrible regular soda is but how about diet soda? Every time I have one I feel like I crave sugar afterwards. Does anyone else feel the same way? I need to kick the habit of drinking it! Any suggestions?

Have you tried kombucha? It's lo cal and fizzy, it's actually good for you, probiotics, healthy acids etc.
    I am not habitual with diet soda, but for a few times in college. I remembered thinking I associated it with weight gain. I'm not sure how, but I think that's legitimate. Well anyway, I question that they are very good for you!

I have read that it can raise your blood sugar. For me, weight loss is not just about losing weight, but about results.

I have read that a jolly fat guy in a red suit comes down chimneys to give kids gifts once a year..... Must be true then!

In other words, don't believe everything you read. How does something with no calories hinder weight loss? (Hint-it doesn't).

Also-if is raised blood sugar, why would the diabetes association reccomend it?
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

I have read that a jolly fat guy in a red suit comes down chimneys to give kids gifts once a year..... Must be true then!

In other words, don't believe everything you read. How does something with no calories hinder weight loss? (Hint-it doesn't).

Wow amazing sarcasm. Not sure it's necessary?
    Scientists used to believe the world was flat. They were wrong, and continue to be at times. So you have to think for yourself, too.
    I have read it from other sources but here's one....in case you are interested.
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/20140917/artificial-sweeteners-blood-sugar

Or here
    http://www.cell.com/trends/endocrinology-metabolism/abstract/S1043-2760(13)00087-8

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

Scientists used to believe the world was flat. They were wrong, and continue to be at times. So you have to think for yourself, too.

Or here
    http://www.cell.com/trends/endocrinology-metabolism/abstract/S1043-2760(13)00087-8

Even if artificial sweetners do raise blood sugar, why would it matter? The average persons body can regulate it very well.

And if it helps you maintain a calorie deficit, lose weight and get fit, how can we not consider that a victory? Results arent driven by a single driver but rather a cumulation of many.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Or here

Even if artificial sweetners do raise blood sugar, why would it matter? The average persons body can regulate it very well.

And if it helps you maintain a calorie deficit, lose weight and get fit, how can we not consider that a victory? Results arent driven by a single driver but rather a cumulation of many.

Yes, you can drink it if you want to. I skip them except for rarely.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

Scientists used to believe the world was flat. for yourself, too.

No they didn't. Scientists have known that the world was round since Ancient Greece. Eratosthenes calculated the circumference of the earth around 240 BC.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Or here

Wondering why no-one has commented on the links @Lovee_Dove7 provided?
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

Or here

Wondering why no-one has commented on the links @Lovee_Dove7 provided?

Probably because WebMD is not a reliable source, and the second link doesn't say anything about artificial sweeteners raising blood sugar (at least not in the abstract - the full text is behind a paywall). Not to mention the fact that it is an opinion piece, not peer-reviewed research.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I too hate clickbait.

Of course the body can tell the difference between sugar and a non-nutritive sweetener. As the diabetics have correctly pointed out if this were not so there'd be a whole bunch of dead diabetics laying around.

Fear of diet sodas? A first world neurosis. Find something a little more weighty to worry about.