Females building muscle

Options

Replies

• McKittyJane
    McKittyJane Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Im trying to increase muscle, but not necessarily "bulk". Im trying to lose some fat around the waist at the same time; im not super wrapped up in the gain weight to gain muscle thing, i just want to up my bench press and slim my middle. Some people make that seem way too complicated
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Im trying to increase muscle, but not necessarily "bulk". Im trying to lose some fat around the waist at the same time; im not super wrapped up in the gain weight to gain muscle thing, i just want to up my bench press and slim my middle. Some people make that seem way too complicated

What do you mean? Muscle gain is done in a surplus, or at least maintenance running a recomp. Even then you can't spot reduce your waist.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I'm recomping at the moment
  • arditarose
    Options
    I'm recomping at the moment

You just started right? I tried it over the summer as well.
  • singingflutelady
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Um kinda off and on since November. After regaining weight quickly in November(15 lbs in 4 weeks) that I lost through illness I have been the same +/- 1 lb approximately since that point. I restated lifting in October and enjoyed muscle memory/ quickish regrowth after 10 months off for medical reasons and losing all my muscle. I was actively trying to lose weight for a while but it hasn't budged so I guess recomp it is :p I'm 134 at 5'8 so basically OK.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Um kinda off and on since November. After regaining weight quickly in November(15 lbs in 4 weeks) that I lost through illness I have been the same +/- 1 lb approximately since that point. I restated lifting in October and enjoyed muscle memory/ quickish regrowth after 10 months off for medical reasons and losing all my muscle. I was actively trying to lose weight for a while but it hasn't budged so I guess recomp it is :p I'm 134 at 5'8 so basically OK.

Yeah. I noticed you went missing for awhile. Glad you're back at it.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    I ended up in the hospital last January days away from perforating. I was soo sick and my fitness hid it until I crashed plus I ignored symptoms. Not only was I weak from severe anaemia and malabsorption (I have Crohn's) I was on Prednisone for 4 months. The wrong type of steroids :p I'm not cleared for cardio at the moment but the Dr will have to pry the bar out of my hands to make me stop ;). I almost have my lifts back to where they were before except deadlift is stuck at 175 (kinda scared of hurting myself). Funny how 4 months ago I could hardly squat the bar but now almost back to numbers that took me a year and a half to get to before.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I ended up in the hospital last January days away from perforating. I was soo sick and my fitness hid it until I crashed plus I ignored symptoms. Not only was I weak from severe anaemia and malabsorption (I have Crohn's) I was on Prednisone for 4 months. The wrong type of steroids :p I'm not cleared for cardio at the moment but the Dr will have to pry the bar out of my hands to make me stop ;). I almost have my lifts back to where they were before except deadlift is stuck at 175 (kinda scared of hurting myself). Funny how 4 months ago I could hardly squat the bar but now almost back to numbers that took me a year and a half to get to before.

You are so strong! Physically and mentally :)
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Thanks :) I want to get as strong as possible as I could flare anytime. When I was really sick I couldn't even squat down to pick something up off the floor without assistance to get back up. I am so grateful to be able to lift as I love it.
  • MoonKat7
    MoonKat7 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Add me :)
  • holliet1987
    holliet1987 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Same boat. How do you add people :/
  • christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm recomping and have been for about 6 months. Starting to see some changes. Trainer who hasn't seen me in 6 wks said there is noticeable leaning out now. I'm in awe of you girls who bulk and cut. At 5'10 I can put on a few kg without it being noticeable but gaining muscle is really hard. I'm wanting to drop 5%bf and gain 5kg muscle. I'm just going to keep lifting and see what happens. Any advice would help.
  • mollybethtaylor
    mollybethtaylor Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Im trying to gain muscle too. Struggling at the moment because I honestly don't know how to go about it. Please add me and message me if you have any advice!
  • hyIianprincess
    hyIianprincess Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting out. I've read up on it, but still a bit confused about what my protein goal should be. I'd love meet others with similar goals. Please add me!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Im trying to gain muscle too. Struggling at the moment because I honestly don't know how to go about it. Please add me and message me if you have any advice!

are you on a lifting program?
    if so which one?
    And for how long?

do you know what your maintenance calories are?
    is this an established number?
    if you are eating in a surplus how much of a surplus?
    for how long?

and how long have you been trying to do this?
  • Yoyo_Fitness
    Yoyo_Fitness Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    been almost a year since I started this app but so many people I knew dropped out... or became inactive! I've changed my focus from "weight loss" to "gaining strength" and I've never felt so good in my life! I've been doing the bikini comp prep for the last 3 months and it's been super interesting! Feel free to add, I think it would be great to add ladies with similar goals!
  • mollybethtaylor
    mollybethtaylor Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

are you on a lifting program?
    if so which one?
    And for how long?

do you know what your maintenance calories are?
    is this an established number?
    if you are eating in a surplus how much of a surplus?
    for how long?

and how long have you been trying to do this?

I haven't really been doing anything. I got some weights for christmas and have been googling workouts to do with those and thats about it.. only used them twice because im just so lost as to what to do :(
  • Britt_Hos
    Britt_Hos Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm 21 5'3 and recently lost A LOT of weight putting me at 103 pounds

Before losing weight I was 121 lbs and lived a sedentary life
    I have noy2kxzu8bzrt4.jpeg
    I have no clue where to even start/ what program to use
    I want to gain muscle EVERYWHERE.
    I've started 2 medicines that surpress my appetite and have been very sedentary for the pass 3 years due to severe depression but recently gotten help and am able to manage a workout regime

I would love your advice on exercises
    I have back problems due to having such a long torso, which also makes my fat distribute on my thighs which I don't really mind I've just NEVER been able to turn it into muscle

Any advice would be helpful
    But particularly what did you go through when you were starting from ground zero? I've been active my ENTIRE life but these past 3 years I've lost it all and saying that I've never had to re-start working out before. I've always just been In shape and continued over to different sports and regimes without a problem
    No I'm very out of shape and don't know even how to restart
  • arditarose
    Options
    Britt_Hos wrote: »

I've started 2 medicines that surpress my appetite and have been very sedentary for the pass 3 years due to severe depression but recently gotten help and am able to manage a workout regime

I have back problems due to having such a long torso, which also makes my fat distribute on my thighs which I don't really mind I've just NEVER been able to turn it into muscle

But particularly what did you go through when you were starting from ground zero? I've been active my ENTIRE life but these past 3 years I've lost it all and saying that I've never had to re-start working out before. I've always just been In shape and continued over to different sports and regimes without a problem

What are your back issues like? Are you going to be able to barbell squat, deadlift, over head press, row?

Where are you with calories/have you been tracking?
  • Britt_Hos
    Britt_Hos Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

What are your back issues like? Are you going to be able to barbell squat, deadlift, over head press, row?

arditarose wrote: »

I have a lot of pressure on my lower back at all times every right now laying down. It gets strained easily and is hard to have good posture much less good form as it feels tight all the time
    My roommate told me that doing exercises that target lower back strengthening would help but from the ones I've tried they're painful

Mfp says to do 1750 calories. It just changed me calories today when I updated my weight idk what it was previously at. That's going 250 calories over what my body 'needs' to gain .5lbs a week. I don't know if that's right for me that's just what mfp gave me

I track and have been going under by a lot but am trying to stay consistent and ( I hate the term) force feeding myself to get atleast NEAR the calorie goals
    I was only hitting 400 but am now hitting 1300~1500