Females building muscle

Replies

• BoaRestrictor
    BoaRestrictor Posts: 194 Member
    H4N4H wrote: »
    Anyone else here have no gym access? I've gained all my muscle through high rep with dumbbells on my bedroom floor. Currently throwing 30lbs dumbbells around. I am now able to squat with two 30lbs dumbbells 50 times with extreme ease compared to last month. Feels good. Saving up for 40lbs dumbbells right now but I want my reps on the 30's to be higher before I purchase and start implementing them into my routine. :)

If you can do 50 reps with the 30's with ease then you are more than ready for 40's.

Yay, now if only my wallet worked the same way! :smile: :'(
  • golfergirl92
    golfergirl92 Posts: 79 Member
    Been back at the gym lifting for about a month now! Down to 178 and I'm losing on 1900 a day (only because I walk at least 8 miles every day I'm at work so it burns a lot!) Looking for more female lifting friends so add me :)
  • skittlebitz
    skittlebitz Posts: 29 Member
    arditarose wrote: »
    I really don't want to start my cut only 2 months into bulking but I feel uncomfortable :P only 5-7lbs up but I feel a hell of a lot more squishy than I should! I know I haven't gained that MUCH but I'm still stuck wearing leggings 24/7 cause jeans just don't fit :neutral:

Don't quit yet. I felt bad two months in as well. Let me tell you, I was more squishy and crappy looking at two months in, than I was 3-4 months in. Fat gains started evening out, and I could actually start to see where the muscle gain was happening...as opposed to feeling like a water-logged blimp.

I'm having a hard time wanting to stick out my last month but man I think it will be worth it. You can friend me if you feel like checking on and need support. I have a few other women on my friends list bulking as well and we stay updated on my feed a bit.

Oh thank goodness, I hope I turn out the same way! I'll keep pushing through and add you as a friend! Thanks! :)
  • Syneea
    Syneea Posts: 451 Member
    Please add me. :)
  • kristalhersh747
    kristalhersh747 Posts: 4 Member
    add me! I am also aiming to build muscle and lean out :)
  • ijaebenson
    ijaebenson Posts: 3 Member
    Me
  • BuffEnuff21
    BuffEnuff21 Posts: 1 Member
    sarahlifts wrote: »
    I've never bulked before. I have been in a deficit for a horrifying 3 years. It wasn't hard, its just not healthy to sit in a deficit that long. All the gains I have a noob gains. This past 12 months nothing has happened. I've decided to stop spinning my wheels and get into a bulk.

1 month into my bulk. I've slowly upped the calories. I am supposed to get in 2600 to bulk. I'm finally at 2400 but not reaching the caloric intake. WTF this is a lot of cals. My lifts are awesome. I'm energized. I really want my legs to grow. It is hard to fathom eating this amount of food. I will eat it.

I am hoping that after this bulk my body resets to a higher or faster metabolism. I was cutting at 1800 then 1600 then 1400. I hope to never ever ever see a day of 1400 again. I know eventually I will get used to all this food and cutting out 1200 of those cals seems nightmareish.

For now I'm working and will end my bulk May 1, 2016 and cut.

• Kelsern31
    Kelsern31 Posts: 4 Member
    I have recently lost about 80 lbs (currently at about 5'3" 124 lbs). I still have not reached my goal looks wise as I am trying to get a flat stomach. But I also want to bulk up, and build those legs and *kitten* up especially. I see some of you talking about cut/bulk cycles. I have been lifting for a couple months now(consistently anyways), but I am eating a deficit of calories (about 1300 at the moment). So if I want to bulk up, but also still lose fat should I be doing "cycles," will I still be able to build enough mass by doing that? Also if I did start bulking and increased my calorie intake, is that going to affect the progress i have already made fat loss wise. Because I am absolutely sick and tired of the pudge i got hanging off the bottom of my stomach, and it seems no amount of healthy eating + exercise is doing anything to help that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! So cool to know that there are a lot of other females that lift!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Kelsern31 wrote: »
    I have recently lost about 80 lbs (currently at about 5'3" 124 lbs). I still have not reached my goal looks wise as I am trying to get a flat stomach. But I also want to bulk up, and build those legs and *kitten* up especially. I see some of you talking about cut/bulk cycles. I have been lifting for a couple months now(consistently anyways), but I am eating a deficit of calories (about 1300 at the moment). So if I want to bulk up, but also still lose fat should I be doing "cycles," will I still be able to build enough mass by doing that? Also if I did start bulking and increased my calorie intake, is that going to affect the progress i have already made fat loss wise. Because I am absolutely sick and tired of the pudge i got hanging off the bottom of my stomach, and it seems no amount of healthy eating + exercise is doing anything to help that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! So cool to know that there are a lot of other females that lift!

I have/had similar stats as you. Continuing your deficit really depends on your current body fat %. I'm 5'4" and at 126-128 lbs I could lose no more. My body fat % was low enough to start a bulk. If your body fat % is above 20-22%, I would continue to lose fat-except not on an extreme deficit. Now is the time you really want to work on saving as much lean body mass (muscle) as you can, and it is better to have a moderate deficit of 250 calories below maintenance and continuing to lift heavy.

If you feel your body fat% is on the lower side, you can also bump your calories up to maintenance and continue lifting. This is called a body recomp. You can lose a little bit of fat, gain a little bit of muscle. It is slow, but it can be a good choice for a beginner.

If you run a bulk you will gain some fat-yes. But that's why we cut again. Gain muscle, and fat. Cut to lose the fat and reveal the muscle.

If you are comfortable you can post a picture and we can give you some advice on which approach to take. Front, side, back-unflexed.
  • tybrummilehigh2016
    tybrummilehigh2016 Posts: 65 Member
    Let the farts be with you
  • arditarose
    Let the farts be with you
    And also with you

• Kestrelwings
    Kestrelwings Posts: 238 Member
    If you fart in public, just yell 'turbo boost' and walk faster... ;-)
  • Ieyen
    Ieyen Posts: 19 Member
    just saying hello to this forum, since i think my "recomp" is turning into a bulk.
  • arditarose
    just saying hello to this forum, since i think my "recomp" is turning into a bulk.

It happens
  • autumncardwell
    autumncardwell Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2016
    I am going through my first bulk and really need other females to stalk...err...encourage me through this thing ^_^

Trying to find good macro/muscle building/workout ideas online make me want to punch myself in the face!

I have a solid plan and workout in place, but I'd like to see what other women are doing too!

Any advice or friend requests are welcomed!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    I'm currently bulking, have so far gained 9lbs in 11 weeks. Planning on another 10-12lbs roughly. Loving the strength gains!

Feel free to add me if you wish. I don't log my food regularly, I've been here long enough to know roughly what I'm putting in, but I do share my training and happy to talk food.
  • autumncardwell
    autumncardwell Posts: 2 Member
    I'm currently bulking, have so far gained 9lbs in 11 weeks. Planning on another 10-12lbs roughly. Loving the strength gains!

Feel free to add me if you wish. I don't log my food regularly, I've been here long enough to know roughly what I'm putting in, but I do share my training and happy to talk food.

Awesome - I really appreciate it!

Nice to hear you've seen decent progress throughout your bulk! So far I'm roughly 10 days in - but the first 8 I felt like I was learning to get my macros straight. Mainly, I just had to learn when to eat what so I could hit my goal for the day. I was never too worried about eating late at night (after 8) but since starting, I find I have an awful time trying not to feel sick if I wait to eat anything sizable after that hour.

Anywho, it's early on, but I've seen a noticable gain in strength (I started training regularly - calisthenics - at the start of March but the bulk began about mid-March).
  • angeladoyle3
    angeladoyle3 Posts: 13 Member
    Me! I'm currently 10-14lbs from goal weight.... Starting to lift and looking to build lean muscle mass
  • shera426
    shera426 Posts: 227 Member
    Hey all, I'm new to lifting. Just started working out again after baby #4 last April would like some like minded ladies to have as friends to keep me motivated. Currently doing the Clutch Cut workout from the bodybuilding.com site. Feel free to add me I'm hoping to loosing the last 15 lbs
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    If you fart in public, just yell 'turbo boost' and walk faster... ;-)

that's amazing.