November 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @karef - of course, keep us posted! I post my strength training and bike rides.
    @patrikc333 - hope the knee feels better. I space out on my runs sometimes too. Kind of cool that you get so much in the zone you don't even realize you are out on a run.

Nov 1 - rest
    Nov 2 - 3.2
    Nov 3 - 4.3
    Nov 4 - strength training
    Nov 5 - rest
    Nov 6 - 5.0 Had to loop in front of house to hit 5 exactly. ;)
    Nov 7 - 5.0 in daylight!
    Nov 8 - 6.0 in daylight, but too darn hot and humid.
    Nov 9 - rest day.
    Nov 10 - 4.7 miles
    Nov 11 - strength training
    Nov 12 - 5.33 miles - temp was 64 and felt so great but it was extremely foggy. It was like a cloud just fell from the sky and I was running through it. I thought humidity was down but when I got home saw that it was 96%. In any case, it felt great this morning! If I didn't have to get ready for work, I could have gone on and on.

exercise.png

• kcbhopkins
    kcbhopkins Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    11/1 - 0
    11/2 - 0
    11/3 - 3.17
    11/4 - 3.0
    11/5 - 0
    11/6 - 0
    11/7 - 5
    11/8 - 0
    11/9 - 0
    11/10 - 0
    11/11 - 2.77

exercise.png
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    1-0 miles
    2-3.72 miles
    3-4.86 miles-I think. Phone restarted during my run
    4-rest day
    5-sick day. was supposed to do another 4.5 but I have a hacking cough that makes breathing hard. Head colds I can run with; chest colds, not so much
    6-rest day.
    7-sick
    8-sick
    9-3.2 miles, still sick but couldn't stand it any more
    10-5.28 miles. a little slow but I'm still sick. so slow is fine
    11-yoga day
    12-nothing yet, needed to sleep, but I hope to run this afternoon

upcoming race: 8k turkey trot with cinnamon buns at the end

exercise.png

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    11/1-Rest
    11/2-Strength Training
    11/3-5.0 miles
    11/4-3.2 miles+ strength training
    11/5-5.2 miles
    11/6-4.5 miles +yoga
    11/7-Nada
    11/8-Another crappy day of nada
    11/9-4.5 miles
    11/10-5.1 miles+ strength training
    11/11-4.4 miles
    11/12-3.0 miles (dreadmill intervals @ 5K pace)

exercise.png

• 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    like birthday cakes are calorie free?

Of course - after you cut anything, all the calories leak out!
  • 9voice9
    Options
    I usually just set Map My Run to yell at me every few minutes to run faster. ;)

Love it! Since I do basically the same thing. :wink:
  • 9voice9
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    And what I don't understand is WHY?? I can go to the lake and jog over 5 miles. Make me try to actually run and it kicks my butt. I did W3D1 at lunch yesterday and didn't like my performance.

Or should I keep pushing thru to the end? Advice please. I'm frustrated right now.

I believe that the point of C25K is to keep moving at something "more than a walk" for that length of time. If it's a REALLY slow jog, but it's still faster than a "walk," then it counts. The point is getting you moving a little more over time - the speed (moving from "jog" to "run" comes later, with experience).

I'm like @5BeautifulDays - my best time for a longer run now is ~11:00/mile. Last year, I thought that was a terrible failure - and was getting happy when I could do intervals and get down to a 9:30/mile rate, but could only sustain that for a minute, or less. I'm trying to learn to run slower, but longer - I still break down (even at my 11/mile rate) to walking a bit, but a whole lot less than I used to do.

Now @Stoshew71 is gonna tell me that I need to start including some tempo work...and he's prob right, dadgum it.
  • 9voice9
    edited November 2015
    Options
    01-Nov: 2.61 miles (walk)
    02-Nov: 4.47 miles; 1.00 miles (walk)
    03-Nov: 4.45 miles
    04-Nov: <Life Day> but 4.47 miles (walk)
    05-Nov: 3.27 miles; 3.00 miles (walk)
    06-Nov: 3.56 miles; 1.75 miles (walk)
    07-Nov: 6.42 miles
    08-Nov: 4.00 miles
    09-Nov: 6.42 miles; 2.56 miles (walk)
    10-Nov: 4.46 miles
    11-Nov: <Life Day>
    12-Nov: 4.46 miles
    13-Nov:
    14-Nov:
    15-Nov:
    16-Nov:
    17-Nov:
    18-Nov: <Life Day>
    19-Nov:
    20-Nov:
    21-Nov:
    22-Nov:
    23-Nov:
    24-Nov:
    25-Nov: <Life Day>
    26-Nov:
    27-Nov:
    28-Nov:
    29-Nov:
    30-Nov:

Upcoming Races:
    14-Nov: FUMC 5K, Warner Robins, GA
    05-Dec: Reindeer Run 10K, Macon, GA
    16-Jan: Museum of Aviation 5K, Warner Robins, GA
    19-Mar: Cherry Blossom 10K, Macon, GA
    16-Apr: Running for Ronald 5K or 10K, Macon, GA

Should be able to beat the half-point before we get to the half-way point of the month!

exercise.png
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    11/1 - rest day / Halloween Hangover
    11/2 - 5.25 miles, 55° at 5:30 a.m. in Iowa! Nuts, but I love it!
    11/3 - 4 miles on indoor track followed by weights / abs. After running mostly outside for six months, you can run pretty fast on a flat, indoor surface.
    11/4 - 5.1 miles, again about 55° at 5:00 a.m. Getting spoiled by the weather!
    11/5 - woke up with some major heel pain...a touch of plantar fasciitis perhaps. Decided to take my rest day early and try again tomorrow.
    11/6 - 4 miles on indoor track + weights / abs. Heel feeling better, but not completely pain free.
    11/7 - 6 miles on a gorgeous morning!
    11/8 - 4 miles on another gorgeous day! Tried to get my daughter to come with, but she just wanted to walk...so I did that first.
    11/9 - 4 miles on indoor track, followed by lots of stretching
    11/10 - Rest Day.
    11/11 - 4 miles on indoor track, then weights and abs.
    11/12 - 5.1 miles on treadmill (Trek class)...always seems to be the most difficult run of the week.

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for November

11/1 REST DAY
    11/2 10 miles - 10
    11/3 11 miles - 21
    11/4 4 miles - 25 << Recovery Day
    11/5 11 miles - 36 << Threshold Day
    11/6 6.2 miles - 42.2 << Recovery Day
    11/7 15 miles - 57.2 << Long Run (1 week till Huntsville Half)
    11/8 REST DAY
    11/9 REST DAY
    11/10 7 miles - 64.2 << Brueggers taper run (.5 w/u, 2.5 ~ghmp, 4 easy)
    11/11 4.1 miles 68.3 << Easy taper run in my neighborhood.
    11/12 5 miles 73.3 << PPounders taper run (all easy paced)

exercise.png

3 more days till the Huntsville Half.
  • Stoshew71
    edited November 2015
    Options
    And what I don't understand is WHY?? I can go to the lake and jog over 5 miles. Make me try to actually run and it kicks my butt. I did W3D1 at lunch yesterday and didn't like my performance.

Or should I keep pushing thru to the end? Advice please. I'm frustrated right now.

9voice9 wrote: »
    I believe that the point of C25K is to keep moving at something "more than a walk" for that length of time. If it's a REALLY slow jog, but it's still faster than a "walk," then it counts. The point is getting you moving a little more over time - the speed (moving from "jog" to "run" comes later, with experience).

I'm like @5BeautifulDays - my best time for a longer run now is ~11:00/mile. Last year, I thought that was a terrible failure - and was getting happy when I could do intervals and get down to a 9:30/mile rate, but could only sustain that for a minute, or less. I'm trying to learn to run slower, but longer - I still break down (even at my 11/mile rate) to walking a bit, but a whole lot less than I used to do.

Now @Stoshew71 is gonna tell me that I need to start including some tempo work...and he's prob right, dadgum it.

OK! You can either walk or run. Walking includes a point in your gait (that's a fancy way of saying your biomechanics or the way your legs move) where both feet are on the ground and weight is transferred from one foot to the other, and there is always at least one foot on the ground. Running is where there is a point in your gait where both feet are in the air and there is never a time when both feet are on the ground simultainously. There is actually speed walking competitions and they actually look for this stuff. If both feet are never on the ground at the same time (both are in the air) then you get points taken off. I swear. I don't make this stuff up. Google it.

So where does the word "jog" play in? I don't know. There is no official definition of jogging. Officially, you are either walking or running.

So the question I think you are asking is why is it if I "run" this XX slow pace that I can do it for many many miles. But if I go just a little bit faster, I can't make it past a half mile? The answer is between your aerobic and anaerobic system. Forget "jogging" and "running". At what point do you exhaust your aerobic system so much that you are now relying mostly on your anaerobic system? The point just before that happends is known as your threshold (short for lactate threshold or aerobic threshold). There is a pace (depends on your fitness level and other factors) that if you just stay at it, you will miss exhausting your aerobic system. Go just a small bit faster, and boom you will begin to feel the fatigue big time. That is known as our velocity for Lactate Threshold (vLT). If you could run exactly at that pace, you should be able to easily maintain that pace for 50-60 minutes before lactate accumulation becomes a problem. Usually your vLT is about 80-90% of your maximum heart rate.

@9voice9 mentioned tempo work, because tempo runs is what improves or stresses your vLT. Improve your vLT then you can run faster for longer periods of time. The reason we fatigue at vLT or running faster than vLT is because the biproduct of our anaerobic system working harder than our aerobic system is that more lactate and hydrogen ions are being produced. Lactate is normally used by muscle cells (and other cells such as heart, liver, kidneys, brain, ect) as fuel when enough oxygen is available to the cell. When there isn't enough oxygen, then that lactate cannot be consumed & it builds up slowly and it's actually the hydogen ions (chemestry nerdy stuff) makes our muscles very acidic. This causes a burning sensation in our muscles and it sends messages to our brain that we need to slow down. Through tempo and threshold training, we teach our bodies to make use of that lactate much better and our bodies develop the capability to buffer those hydrogen ions so our muscle cells are not as acidic.

However, before you can work on your threshold (which is only one key area of running) you need to build your aerobic base. In other words, how can we deliver more oxygen to the muscle cells and how do we get the muscles to actually use the oxygen better. If we can deliver more oxygen to the muscle cell and our muscles actually use more of it, then our aerobic system can actually keep up with our anaerobic system. We do that by running more easy miles. Conversational pace. The more miles we can run at a conversational pace (60-65% of our max HR) the more we stress our aerobic system to improve. Our aerobic system includes our heart. We breath in oxygen and it goes into our blood. Our heart is what is pumping the blood to our muscles. If we can make that stronger, more blood is being pushed every time it makes a beat, and therefore more oxygen is being pushed. In our blood, the oxygen molecules attach themselves to the hemoglobin in our red blood cells. The more hemoglobin in our blood, the more oxygen is transferred from our lungs into our blood and more concentrated with oxygen our blood becomes. The pathways from our main blood vessels to our muscle cells are called the capalleries. Through aerobic base building, those capallaries increase in number. (Just imagine a major insterstate where traffic gets backed up on certain exits. This is like building more side roads and exits near the existing exits.) Then inside our muscle cell itself, the place where fuel mixes with oxygen is called the mitochondria. Through aerobic base building, those mitochondria get larger and grow in number inside each muscle cell. So more aerobic energy is being produced to keep up with our demand. All these things get better the longer we can run at an aerobic level (conversational pace of 60-65% of our max heart rate). Go faster than that and you will not make any more improvements to this aerobic system. You are now stressing the threshold system which is a completely different workout.

I hope this makes sense. In a nutshell, run slower but for longer and more often and you will see big improvements. Over time, you will naturally be running faster.

• gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I got two more runs in since my last post. I may have pushed a little hard last night as my right knee is tight today. No running tonight to rest it up and get another run in on Friday. I'm going to scale back to 1.25 miles instead of 1.5. Everything else feels great except my darn right knee.

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Racewalking

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Racewalking, or race walking, is a long-distance discipline within the sport of athletics. Although it is a foot race, it is different from running in that one foot must appear to be in contact with the ground at all times. This is assessed by race judges, making it the most subjective of the disciplines in athletics. Typically held on either roads or on running tracks, common distances vary from 3000 metres (1.8 mi) up to 100 kilometres (62.1 mi).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racewalking

^^^^^ Just in case anyone was interested.
  • ShanazAsiya
    ShanazAsiya Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone I took like a 4an a half walk yesterday I am horrible at this all of you guys are doing like 10 30 20 more miles then me :|:/:(:'(
  • ShanazAsiya
    ShanazAsiya Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    mile walk
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Hi everyone I took like a 4an a half walk yesterday I am horrible at this all of you guys are doing like 10 30 20 more miles then me :|:/:(:'(

You are NOT doing horrible at this. You are doing great. We all started from somewhere. Keep at it and you will be doing a lot more in no time. Rome was not built in a day and you are doing way more than the person who slept in and sitting on their 5th point of contact.

And remember this:

chap-1-vs-chap-20.jpg

• GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    20k down, 40k to go. Hmmm, it will be close. But I am so determined!
  • Stoshew71
    edited November 2015
    Options

I know I shared these before, but for the new people, this may help motivate you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JnYcuRW_qo
    ^^BTW, click the "Check Nathan's TV interview" link in the video for an even more inspiring message.^^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMZB8X4CG6E

• Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 - Thank you!! That makes a lot of sense. Had to read it a couple of times to absorb it, but pretty sure I get it now. If I understand it correctly, the increase in speed I seek is (essentially) the end result of mileage done at the proper speed...as determined by the ability to hold a conversation *60-65 mhr. Endurance and stamina are built using the same base, but increase by being consistently able to hold a conversation regardless of pace. If I can maintain a conversation after increasing the pace, I'm still gaining improvements. If I can't, then to gain positive results I will have to reduce my speed.

So then, generally speaking, is it better to run more often, or more miles per run (without consideration to speed)? Currently I try to run every other day. I have a half marathon May 15 that I not only want to finish, I want to place in the top 25 of my age group. According to the stats from this year, I'd have to be able to finish in about 2:15. But currently I run about 13-14 mm. So is my goal for placement unreasonable?
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    11/1 - 3.81 C25k W1D3 (.73 + 2.32 + .76)
    11/2 - 5.78 walking lunch break + evening walk (3.3 + 2.48)
    11/3 - 2.99 C25k W2D1 + continuation of lunch break (2.09 + .9)
    11/4 - 1.78 nice, easy, comfortable lunch walk.
    11/5 - 3.13 C25k W2D2 + 180 spm practice (2.23 + .9)
    11/6 - 4.61 walking lunch break + evening walk (2.36 + 2.25)
    11/7 - 2.16 C25k W2D3 (2.16)
    11/8 - Full rest/recovery day. Was my 1 yr anniversary for starting to lose weight so I went SHOPPING!!
    11/9 - Full rest/recovery day.
    11/10 - 6.17 C25k W3D1 + 180 spm practice (2.24 + .7) C25k repeat + 180 spm practice (2.01 + 1.22)
    11/11 - 2.8 walking lunch break *noon after the first snowfall of the season. I was overdressed. (Again)*

I am a little worried about C25k W3. From looking at it, it doesn't seem like the transition to running 3 mins is that big of a deal, but it is. And what I don't understand is WHY?? I can go to the lake and jog over 5 miles. Make me try to actually run and it kicks my butt. I did W3D1 at lunch yesterday and didn't like my performance. It felt "off", slow, sluggish. So I repeated W3D1 last night after work. Did even worse. I'm moving forward with W3, but am thinking that I may need to repeat it just to be able to do a full 3 minutes without feeling like a fake. Or should I keep pushing thru to the end? Advice please. I'm frustrated right now.

Don't get frustrated. I'm a bit confused what is the difference between a "run" and a "jog"? I can pretty much run at an 11:30 mm pace all day (okay not all day), but if I run at a 10:00 mm pace not so much and I'll go out on a limb here and say that is the same for everyone. That is why someone running a one mile race and do a 4:00 min mile but that same person will slow down to a 5:00 to run say a 10K. I'm assuming that is what you mean. If you cannot run the full 3 minutes I would slow down your pace so that you can. I don't know about everyone, but if I have a slow run in the morning I know there is no way I'm going to have a better one later in the day. I'm already tired.

I didn't do C25K so I don't really know the program, but I would say move forward, call it a bad run and move on. If you find you are still having a problem, then I would repeat.

Hang in there, you are doing great. Like everything else, it takes time.

I also agree. When I did c25k I didn't think about pace at all, just running during the time allotted. From what I understand, the c25k program is meant to build up your endurance so that you can run for 30 minutes straight - it's not meant to improve your pace. As you increase mileage, your pace will improve. Again, others have way more experience so chime in here if I'm way off.

Like @skippygirlsmom mom said, chalk it up to a bad run and keep moving forward, you're doing great.

ETA: I'm way behind on my response, looks like you already got the answers you needed. I'm playing catch up!