WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    pip, I don't think I have ever seen goldies on any kits but that would be really cute! I do love goldies. I got one once when I was married, but my former husband, sociopath that he was, shot him in the head in front of my three year old son because the dog nipped at him when he was beating it. That was so traumatic for both my son and me. I know my son was thinking, "if I am bad will dad shoot me too?" (His dad already beat us, too.) It took another decade before we were able to escape from him.

Great message to daddy!

Omg!!! How's your son, the memory must be with him. I'm so sorry u had such a awful marriage. Gayle Minneapolis
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    To those with relatives who are overweight and have no clue about doing something about it except complaining about it. My sister used to be quite heavy. She said that God made her that way so she was happy about it although she had huge blood pressure problems over it. She just wasn't ready to see that she needed to change it. Well the past year she saw the light. Your relatives have to want it and see it for themselves.

For anyone who has experience with yourself or a family member/friend with bi-polar what can I do to help some one see her self worth. One of the ladies in my choir who is such a lovely person is bi-polar. She had a husband who severely abused her. She was full time Army nurse and has a lot of traumatic experiences that she remembers. So she has a lot of negative things in her life.

Regarding the divorced family members at Christmas and Thanksgiving. Our system works for us. Thanksgiving is always at the persons choosing where they want to have it. But Christmas we leave it to the inlaws to have the family and kids for Christmas. Then the first Saturday after Christmas everyone comes to Evansville. Jesus was not born on December 25th, it is only a government designated day to celebrate it and as some one said, Madison avenue has taken hold of it and made it awful. So we celebrate it when we want to. Christmas is what is in our hearts, not on our calender.

Pip, so glad Kirby is doing better. Accept all the help now for yourself. You aren't completely healed. The picutre with the kids with the get well card is so sweet.

I can't remember, is it Miriam with all the needlepoint, etc? Thsoe are as breathtaking as Sylvia's ceramic and Mia's blown glass. My Mom did all sorts of needlepoint. All I could do was counted cross stitch, I couldn't even do regular cross stitch. There were some of the pictures that I did that had some needlepoint in them and I would have to take them to her to finish. Some day I will have to take pictures of the grandma sweatshirts I made for her. Made the patterns and then made the sweatshirts.Haven't done any cross stitch i a long time. You have inspired me to maybe start back????

Got Charlie started on his medicine today. From what I am reading in 72 hours he should see a difference. I sure am looking forward to it. He hardly feels like getting out of the house. I can't remember when he last went and did his Karaoke thing. I think he tried it last Wednesday night but it is mainly in bars and their bathrooms usually don't have any more than one stall. If some one is in it he is out of luck. That happened this past Wednesday night and he had to go back to the table where his friends were and tell them goodby. Of course they all know why he is leaving. That man, I can't get him to stop wearing his khaki pants! It is very obvious if he has had an accident when he wears those.

Nite nite girls. Got to to get my beauty sleep so I can get up for Sunday school in the morning.

Joyce, Indiana
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
  • mtowne002
    mtowne002 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,
    Thanks for all the well wishes and especially the reminders about taking care of myself from Miriam. Who btw has an extraordinary talent for stitchery! He three D effect of the cat piece is remarkable, but my favorite is the heart inside the square. Quite lovely. I think I'm doing better tonight but not up to my. Orval self. Had my best friend over and we watched Fried Green Tomatoes and ate Chicken broccoli ziti from a local restaraunt. Saved half for tomorrow too. Made my goal steps even w the sore hip so I was satisfied w myself, got my weeks laundry done and took a nap. Super tired now going to have to leave the dishes for tomorrow too. Not the end of the world. Miriam I'm sorry to hear about your awful ex. It seems we have shared similar stories. Thank you for sharing. I can't think straight I'm just emotionally drained. I'll go to bed and hope this passes by tomorrow too. Hope all have a good night.
    Mindy

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    DJ - you look amazing!

Pip - your puppies look like they miss Kirby! Your bedroom looks perfect for Kirby to recover in! It was nice of your friend to help you.

<3

Mary from Minnesota

• GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie that's what I'm thinking of doing also. Tomorrow I will go and rent a storage unit. At least it will make me feel like I am making progress.

Pip I'm glad you told us how you were thinking back to what happened in the past. I had a feeling that would be going through your head and making Kirby's accident that much more painful for you. If you need someone to walk your dogs the boys and I will come and help with that. Would you PM your address and last name please?
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Pip- Hopefully you realize just how much we care bout you and Kirby! ((((((((((hugs))))))) Glad to see him up and about! The physical body is an amazing thing and he is testament of its remarkable healing abilities as are you with your healing :-) So take it day by day, or hour by hour. I know its hard to not think of past experiences as you go thru this. Kirby and you are fighters!! The pic of your kids patiently awaiting Dad is precious.
    Becca
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    DJ: You look beautiful and classy. Thanks for sharing the photo. :flowerforyou:

Gloria in WA: I think you and I share a procrastination gene. I seem to get things done at the last minute rather than get ready ahead of time. :noway:

Sylvia: I promise NOT to swallow chewing gum! :laugh:

Pip: I'm keeping you and Kirby in my prayers. I hope he is home soon and feeling better.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

November Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • Marymaj
    Marymaj Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi I was pretty down about the big 50 but I have got over it and now I am really trying to lose weight by sticking to eating healthy and exercise. But I don't really enjoy or like exercise .
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    ji77lezozur7.jpg

Pic of me and "the girls" at the British Museum. Fabulous exhibition.

I am in a much better mood today. DH and I went for a walk round the very damp lanes this morning and it did our spirits good. I'm going to put in half an hour on the rower to up the calories a bit. Got to eat! ! !

Still don't know what to do about the difficult friend. They all want to go away again in March. I think I have an excuse as my 3rd grandchild is due then, but it isn't a permanent solution. I am fond of her, but I hate her going on about all the money her tax exile husband is laundering in property. Hook? Bite? :sad: Plus she can't see how she is being used by him. At the dinner I did say some of this, but in an angry fashion, which isn't helpful.

Anyway, today is another day and I feel good. We are Skyping the grandchildren this afternoon.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,786 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies~
    I can not stand it~ if there were anymore love for each other we would bust <3 I feel so loved and cared for by all of you and I hope you all feel the same way,because you know any one of us would do anything for one another..
    well I spoke with Tom and told him I am going to the cape for a couple of days after thanksgiving to see my eldery friends and that I could be staying in a hotel.. then I told him when we get to florida that I would be renting a car and staying on Sanibel over night.. he didn't bat an eye...
    He goes away 3 times a year to my one and it I think is only fair I do what I want to do.
    going to feed DFIL and then come back and get stuff done here
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Miriam, love your glassed in book shelves. My husband's family was in the antique business during the 60's/70's and now he sells antiques once a month at the Scott's Antique Show in Atlanta. He spends 3 weeks out of the month going to sales and then 4 days selling what he has collected. I have developed a love of antiques over the years but must say we have a mixture of old and new. That's one reason I am having problems about my mom's belongings. She had everything new.

Also, love your Christmas stockings.

Alison, I think it's admirable that you are able to take yourself away to be with friends, etc. You deserve this time.

Gloworm, how nice of you to volunteer to walk Pip's dogs. I hope you find a nice rental soon that will put you where you want to be with the boys.

Heather, you and your friends look great. You look so tall...I am envious. I have college friends that plan get-a-ways every once in a while and I just can't make myself go. Social Phobia.

Wishing you all a wonderful Sunday.

Carol/Peach

• miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Gayle, my oldest son, the one who watched his dad shoot the dog, went from being a very outgoing, talkative toddler, to someone who rarely has much to say to anyone, including his wife. Since having children of his own, (the ones in the Halloween photo), he has started to be a bit more playful, but he has struggled with mild to moderate depression most of his life (remember, we have the bipolar gene, with early onset, rampant through my family).

Joyce, for your friend with bipolar disorder, I would highly recommend she read "Touched with Fire" by Kay Redfield Jamison. It talks about the link between bipolar disorder and creativity, and how our brains work differently than other people's. We tend to think expansively, drawing in ideas from all over, whereas the "normal" person tends to focus IN narrowly on a solution to a problem. It talks about how important this type of thinking is for the arts, literature, AND in solving the problems facing communities and the world. She shows family histories of many great writers and artists. Our illness is cyclical, going from depression to mania over time, then cycling back. I have the type of bipolar disorder where I do not have the full blown manic episodes, but have a milder manic episode called hypomania (little mania). People with full blown mania also cycle through this hypomanic part. Hypomania is what most people strive to be- alert, creative, focused, able to get a lot accomplished. If we could make a pill to permanently induce this part of the cycle, most people in the world would want to take it. It is a very productive mood. Also, people with bipolar disorder tend to be a great deal more intelligent than the average person. By helping her see some of the positives of this condition, which society has deemed a "bad" thing, might help her to feel better about herself. Also, the Depression/Bipolar Support Alliance is a self help group that focuses on the positive which could help her. http://www.dbsalliance.org/site/PageServer?pagename=home

I suspect that the trauma/ abuse is what is impacting her self esteem most. Trauma, including child abuse, changes the way the brain functions. There is only one really effective treatment for trauma, in spite of the vast number of therapists doing traditional "talk" therapy. This is eye movement desensitization and reprocessing: http://www.emdr.com/what-is-emdr/
    It has also been shown that if the person can find a "reason" for the trauma, their brain returns to normal. So by believing something like, "Having experienced that trauma, I have learned more compassion so I am a better person." can actually help.

I hope this helps!

Thanks for all the compliments on my needlework. That is one area where perfectionism is actually helpful! LOL I often take out whole areas because I find I made a tiny mistake way back. I am learning to let some of them go by reminding myself that nothing is "perfect" and no one else will even know it is there. Needlework is one of many things I have had to let go because of my arthritis. Doing that last stocking for the baby was very painful. I just had to push myself through it.

Holding all of your struggles in my heart,
    Miriam in Iowa
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Carol/ Peach, I am so sorry you have social phobia. That is my middle son's most disabling condition and why he is on disability. Others often do not "get" how hard this makes life and how much you miss out on. I have mild social phobia, but a bigger problem for me is that I isolate when I am depressed. My son finds it helpful to go to things WITH someone who sticks with him and can jump in and guide the conversation when his brain goes numb. So he is willing to do all sorts of things with me that he could never do on his own. Is there a classmate that could fill that function for you? Who wouldn't wander away and leave you on your own? Is there someone you could trust with the importance of being your support person? I have also known of people who had service dogs that having the dog with them relaxes them enough to prevent panic. The dogs are often very small dogs that they carry. One woman was able to go with a group of us to talk to legislators about why a proposed bill was not a good idea, because she had her service dog with her. She was also able to take classes, sit on a board, and be much more social.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,084 Member
    Options
    Miriam gorgeous needlework. I agree with you about Jefferson and GMO's. The book Eating on the Wild Side gives history of how some of our currents choices in food came to be. What I took away is usually the more bitter a vegetable the better it is for us. Unfortunately because of our sweet tooth they work towards developing sweeter versions. So sorry about your son's experience.

Heather great picture with your friends.

Gloria thinking about you with your move. I hope it is starting to fall into place.

Have a great day all!

:heart: MNMargaret
  • bjkidfun
    bjkidfun Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    Morning peeps

Yesterday when I was giving Kirby a shower, my mind went back to when I was giving my late husband a shower in the last weeks of his life. I started tearing up having to e put in this situation again. Right now as the lights are lit very low and he lies in bed, sleeping peacefully it's hard not to think back. Give your loved one a hug, as I Ave learned on more than one occasion, u never know when u will see that or have them in your life again. I got lucky.... this time.....

(((((very big hugs to you Pip)))))) hoping Kirby gets better soon.

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! This is what we woke up to this morning...

ay0xkf1m1y47.jpeg
    oahp992s7jjp.jpeg
    55emreoi2mx1.jpeg
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone!

Love seeing all the creativity we have among ourselves. The bowls are beautiful and the cross stitch/crewel work is fabulous. I have many cross stitched pieces on my walls from when I used to cross stitch. Now I mostly stick to quilting and crocheting.

The pictures of nature are beautiful! Amazing what viewing mother nature in all her glory does for our souls.

Sending healthful thoughts and prayers to all in our group who are need.

Think of you all often as I go about my day in my little part of the world, especially when I am pondering what to eat, going about my daily exercise and wondering what choices you all would be making.

Cheri in Sunny NE Ohio