WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,710 Member
    Options
    damnit - it's looking better and better, thankfully, gotta keep the neck brace on for 6-8weeks. they say he is the above average patient as far as improvement (but of course!), they can't believe the improvement in 4 days
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    DJ, you look great in your modeling picture.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,803 Member
    Options
    That's Kirby for you!!!!! he will be home before you know it....having friends over next sunday...so going to have nibbles and either wine or tea and coffee..
    will call up to cape and see where they think Ruth will be by thanksgiving ,andthen will plan from there... I would love to visit with both of them for a bit, but would also like time for myself there too.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Oh yes! DJ - LOVED the modelling pic. Nice jacket. I never wear beige, but it did look great on you! B)

Hoping for some news tomorrow on my rental. Getting ridiculous. Grrrrrr! :grumble:

Heather UK
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    DJ - I think there is enough work here through spring! Mostly main level this year. Then there is a lot of outside work to do. We will probably do the upstairs next year. I look at it as my art project like the pottery , embroidery, glass blowing, needle point...of all the talented ladies here! I just use power tools. When I'm done here I'll be glad to come help you!

Pip - great news!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Miriam, your needlework is exquisite.

Meg, so sorry about Benny.

Mindy, it sounds to me like your meds might need adjusting. I use to cry like that when my hormones were out of whack. The least little thing would set me off. I could even tell in the midst of my meltdowns that I was being unreasonable, but I was powerless to stop myself. It's a horrible feeling. I wish I could just come and fix it all for you.

Peach, you probably don't want me organizing your stuff. My first step would be to decide what we could donate and what could we toss in the trash? Seriously though, if you need your stuff for your business, it makes sense to find a way to organize it. Although the covered plastic boxes look nice, I've found that open-topped dish pan type tubs often work better because it's less trouble to get to the stuff to take if out or put it away. You just need more shallow shelves so there is not a lot of wasted space. What is your etsy business?

Allisonm I found this tea box on Amazon. Best I remember, it was pretty reasonable, at least compared to the expensive wooden ones.

sjqm449ej8kg.jpeg

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Marymaj: Exercise doesn't have to be unpleasant. Think of things you like to do. I like to ride horses and bikes, and take yoga classes. I also like to walk. Every one of those things is a pleasure for me and excellent exercise. Barbie loves to dance. Pip likes to ride bikes. If you're moving, you're burning calories. Make it fun whenever possible. :flowerforyou:

Heather: I'm happy that you had a good walk with your DH. No advice to offer about the friend whose husband is cheating on his taxes. Makes you wonder whether he is cheating in other ways, too. :huh: You're the prettiest one in the picture, and that isn't just loyalty speaking. I like the smile of the lady wearing a purple jacket. :bigsmile:

Sylvia: Beautiful photos! Is that your lake? :smiley:

Barbie: I love the picture of Sasha and Jake. :heart:

Pip: You're absolutely right. Kirby is handsome, even with wounds. I am glad that he is doing well. I hope he gets the support he will need to transition back to good health quickly. :flowerforyou:

Mikesmom: Thanks for the great photos. I love both of them. The ocean can't be beat as a photography subject, but I've never seen a cranberry bog. :smile:

Meg: I can't believe your DGD is a year old already. Congratulations! :flowerforyou:

Kim: You are a wise advisor. :flowerforyou:

DS & DDIL have been here working on their boat. They are still working on it, and will head out for home directly from the storage unit where the boat is kept. We have plans to see them again soon. We'll be spending Thanksgiving at DDIL's parents home in KY. They have lots of good plans for fun. After we're back we will have early Christmas with DS & DDL and then real Christmas on our own. We need to develop our own new traditions. An annual pity party is not my idea of an appropriate Christmas celebration. :noway:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

November Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,710 Member
    Options
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Hi, all! I am back from the mountains. The trip was not what I needed or wanted, but it was still good to get away. We stopped by my parents' on the way back and had lunch together.

Carol in NC
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Done outside for the day!! Yeah!!
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Checking in quickly and without reading. I'm in the airport lounge in Bangkok waiting to board the flight to Singapore in about half an hour. Meanwhile I'm gorging on fresh papaya with lime juice. :yum: Somehow I'd forgotten all about tropical fruit!
    /Penny, on the way from the emoticon-object-026.gif to darn near the equator. My oh my...
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Just popping in quickly to report that IT FITS!!!! I brought her to our house to try it on so she could use the full length mirror. She was the happiest eleven year old girl in the world! It's tight, but it's supposed to be. It's not TOO tight. So, all that worry was for nothing. Whew!

More later.

Sylvia
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Penny - have a great trip! The papaya sounds great!

Sylvia- i'm so glad to hear that!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Yay, Sylvia! I'm happy for her and for you.

DJ, you were rocking that modeling gig.

Carol, I'm sorry your trip to the mountains wasn't everything you needed and wanted.

Hugs and best wishes to all.
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Wow everybody has been busy chatting this weekend...it is taking me ages to catch up. I do want to say that Miriam, I think your thoughts about the holidays are very very wise and I am going to re-read them.
    My cold is still not entirely gone after close to three weeks..was getting to the point where I was researching strep and mono yesterday but I really think it is just one mean mama virus. it is better today than yesterday.
    Have been on a downsizing kick lately and am donating lots of things I do not need. Today I painted a closet and hope to get the whole room done soon. Of course the rest of the house is way neglected! It is a wonder we can find anything.
    Got a little sad trying to downsize DD2's stuff a bit... Who knows when she will return, but I cannot hang on to all these things. It is hard to see clothes and remember the person wearing them.
    Hugs to all the folks dealing with illness and injuries and being overwhelmed!!!
    Also, I might have a few craft items to share via picture when I can get them organized! So many talented folks here!!!
    Love seeing people be creative!
    Betty WNY
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    @janetr7476 get better soon! No worries, my voice will be here whenever you will wish to hear it friend. I would've sung an opera song, but with a question on how long yer answering machine is, I didn't want to be cut off on a high note...cuz then I would just have to call you back....that's embarrassing!!! lol
    Becca
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Carol – welcome home, sorry it wasn’t all you had hoped, but …. I can’t remember who you went with? The kids???

DJ and others who asked about thanksgiving…. So I do my calorie planning backwards – I will have one or two thin pieces of pie, so reserve those calories and then work out the rest, and remember it is the week that is more important than the day, so if you can “bank” a few calories from Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday then Thanksgiving day is more do-able.

appetizer is soup! A butternut soup served in shot glasses

So first is add a green salad – lots of veggies and a low calorie dressing… fills your plate up and fills you,

then the dreaded green bean casserole – grrr – tradition! So if you can get away with not making it – then replace it with roasted asparagus, it is pretty on the plate and really healthy. If you have to have green beans, then steam them and toss them with some sauted shallots and mushrooms – you can saute the shallots until they are almost crispy…

Mashed potatoes – ok ½ potatoes and ½ cauliflower and when you mash them do it with non-fat milk and some non (or low fat) cream cheese or sour cream, NO butter! No full fat anything, then go easy on the gravy…

Rolls – don’t serve them how many carb do we really need?

Sweet potatoes – baked or roasted – no marshmallows please! If you need to sweeten them up a drizzle of pure Vermont maple syrup

Turkey – that’s fine

Stuffing – Ok serve yourself a small amount

Pie – see above – I’ll be having pecan!

Well its time for me to have dinner, I have spaghetti squash and homemade marinara, and I have calories saved for a glass of wine.

November Goals -
    Attend yoga each wednesday evening
    Walk everyday –would like to see 160 miles
    continue counseling and hold my weight where it is as I deal with my current set of emotional issues
    weekly fun things
    W1 – football – we won! Working on craft show crafts
    W2-
    W3-
    W4
    Kim from N. California
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    @janetr7476 get better soon! No worries, my voice will be here whenever you will wish to hear it friend. I would've sung an opera song, but with a question on how long yer answering machine is, I didn't want to be cut off on a high note...cuz then I would just have to call you back....that's embarrassing!!! lol
    Becca

Thanks, YOU'RE THE BEST!!!

Janetr OKC
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Katie and Kim. I took my daughter with me but that wasn't the problem. Our accommodations were less than desirable (even free, they were not good) and it was chilly and rainy the whole time. My need was to be "in" the mountains through hiking, but not worth injury from wet rocks and leaves. Becoming "one" with the mountains by being on a trail is good for my spirit.

As it was, I spent the dreary wet time dwelling on the reason that I was attempting to escape by going to the mountains. My friend's wedding was yesterday and it was/is painful for me. Although he meant well, the fact that he was in communication with me several times this week -- including yesterday morning -- was like twisting the knife. I've swallowed my feelings (although not chased with food) and have been as gracious as I can be and still remain true to myself. Our relationship is based on truth and trust so I won't lie to him. I have a feeling that I will be struggling with this for some time to come and I am fighting hard to not slip back into depression.

In the good news category, I have lost 12 pounds of regained weight since my surgery. Also, I should have a date coming up this weekend. The guy and I have been talking on the phone regularly for a couple of weeks and I am loving talking to him. He sounds like a good old country boy hick, but the more we talk, the more his intelligence shines through. We'll see...

Good night, all!

Carol in NC