WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Its one of those days here, where I just feel totally overwhelmed and hopeless. I have about a dozen little things that need to be done today. Errands to run, people to meet with, grandma stuff to do, that postcard and poster to finish and get to the printer, and it goes on and on. A plumber is coming to give an estimate on some stuff I need to have done. A guy is coming sometime between 4:30 and 6 to pick up his pottery which has been collecting cobwebs in my gallery for a whole year. I'll be glad to get that out of here. His stuff is HUGE and I can use the space better for other things.

But most important of all is a haircut appointment at 4:00. I hate when my hair gets in my eyes. I'll feel better when it's cut.

First thing this morning I had to go to the elementary school for their "Donuts with a Veteran" celebration. They had all us veterans go to our kids classrooms where they were having donuts and apple juice. Once I got the the first grade room I found out that they wanted us to get up in front of the class and speak for a few minutes on what we did in the military. (One little girl was very confused because her grandpa told her that only men were veterans.) Then we had to have our pictures taken with our kids to hang in the hallway. Had I known they wanted me to speak I would not have gone. I hate talking in front of people, even if they are 24 first graders and 24 third graders. But I made it through two classrooms without even eating a donut! They looked pretty yummy too. But no, I was strong.

My middle school kid said they were having a veterans thing too, but she didn't know when or where, or what they were doing. She wanted me to come to the middle school and hang out till I saw a bunch of school buses leave the school and then follow the buses to see where they were going. Well, that wasn't going to happen. I called the school and they said that they were going to the veteran's memorial park but that it was just a class thing and that the "veterans" were not expected to attend. Whew! That poor girl's brain floats in a sea of stardust most of the time.

My friend who passed away has a bunch of pottery equipment and tools which his wife wants to sell. She wants me to come over and make an inventory of what he has and see if any of my pottery group wants to buy it. That will be a chore. He was a hoarder. She wanted me to do it today, but I'm all booked up, so it will be tomorrow at 9:45.

I've decided not to have my yearly open house at the studio this year. I have too much going on to actually make the work I need to fill the gallery. So, If I take that off my plate things feel more manageable. From what the doctor said yesterday it seems that some kind of surgery is certainly going to happen sometime in December, so that makes an open house very hard to plan for, much less do the work.

So, I'd better get busy and finish that postcard. Have a great day!

Sylvia
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hugs everyone. Internet down at work and doc in bad mood. Have a great day! Terri in Milwaukee
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Joyce: DH and I will be in KY for Thanksgiving. We will probably stay home for Christmas together. We've had some lovely invitations but are leaning against travel just then. Last year we were apart for Christmas while I went to DD's house & he stayed with his sister. This year home is currently looking good. :heart:

Barbie: I hope your doctors figure out what is wrong with your feet and how to make them better. :flowerforyou:

Sylvia: Thank you and all our veterans for your important work keeping us safe and free. :heart: I don't like the sound of surgery in December, but my DH's surgery last year turned out to be an amazing blessing. He is doing so much better now that I am simply grateful it was possible. I hope whatever you are looking at turns out to be as positive. :flowerforyou:

We are thinking about a dual control electric blanket so that DH can be warm enough at night without roasting me. Does anyone have a brand to recommend?

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

November Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    No school today for the kids as it is Veterans Day and all schools are closed. We are going to a flag and memorial service this morning for those that have served our country, then off to the dentist for my kids to have a teeth cleaning, and finally a late lunch at our favorite salad and soup restaurant. I have a Costco chicken with rice and beans for dinner.

Life is short and can change at any moment so I'm making today a great one! Wishing you all peace in your day and sending hugs to those that need them. Seems to be a lot of difficult non food struggles lately. <3

❤️ Rosie in So Cal
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,351 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! I'm at work and just feeling overwhelmed with work and life in general, so I thought I'd pop in here and just try to stop obsessing for a bit.

Anyone else on here an emotional eater? Gosh, I'm struggling with that right now. :frowning:

Tracie in Green Bay, WI
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Katla,we have an electric mattress pad by GE. It's K size,dual controls. Works great.The only blankets I see advertised are called "plush".Not sure if they are machine washable/dryable.Ours is. All the big stores have them.Good luck finding what you want. Pat
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Nerve damage in the feet can also be caused by other issues, gout, diabetis, and planter warts. I don't have any of those that I know of; but, the bottoms of my feet don't have any feeling in them and I've had nerve conduction tests in both my hands and feet. If I don't hold my coffee with 2 hands I am very likely to turn it over on myself. Don't have any feeling in the tips of my fingers either. It isn't anything they can Rx'd for me. Having seizures could have caused some sort of brain damage; but, I don't know, mini strokes (can't remember what they are called tachi-something-or-the-other. I don't Google symptoms to try to self-diagnose because there are so many overlapping symptoms for so may ailments. As long as I take all the medications I take my seizures are controlled and my bipolar disorder is controlled. However, a physical illness, if not treated early, can certainly 'whack' them out so I have to try not to miss any of them. The morning pills are the hardest (1/2 of seizure meds taking them). All my bipolar meds are taken at night (that is the one I don't want to miss and rarely do, because that is the last thing DH asks me, 'did you take your nightly meds yet'? I take a lot of meds, and the side effects always include 'death' ... I think this is called 'laying on the cloth' ... so you would have a hard time proving you had not been told, either by the MD or by the message that the Pharmacists gives you on every Rx you get filled. Some medications can't be mixed; other in connection with another acts like something else to be handled. For example on of my seizure meds combined with my bipolar meds helps me with anxiety. That is one reason you are asked to 'bring your meds with you to your MD visits - usually true when you are having a 'physical'.

Fleece lined leggings sound wonderful. Even though I leave near the GA/FL line on days like we've had for the past couple of days, my legs get cold and 'wet' feeling (especially my toes). For the past 2 days I have worn a pair of over the knee thick socks that a friend gave me when cleaning out her drawers. I love them. A little had to get around the ankle; but, I do it. I also have a mattress warmer (not an electric blanket) it warms the bed from the bottom sheet. They usually last 2 or 3 years depending on whether or not you take them off the bed and store them correctly. Even though the wires run through it, I don't feel them.

Hi Robin, welcome to the group, we are always giving advice, we're supportive, and I think you will like that you have found us and joined in.

Talk about screws and plates inside my body ... ha! ha! ha! I worked at the Federal Courthouse and would set the alarm off every time I had to go through it. When I worked, no problem, Marshals know about it; but, when I retire and would go back to visit with friends and boss ... new Marshals would have a conniption fit; I'd turn my pockets inside out and tell them I had pens and plates in my ankle, heel and arm. When I showed them my arm, it is
    obvious that I about took it off; then, they'd let me in or I would tell them to have one of the Clerk's come meet me. I shudder to think what they'd do now that security is even stricter because of terrorist attacks.

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    o:)
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    <---stress eater

Sylvia, I love that imagery. Her brain floats on a sea of stardust. Sounds much nicer than my reference to my "clueless" soon to be daughter. Although she is definitely NOT clueless now that I got her on medication for her severe ADHD. Her teacher this year cannot imagine that she struggled with learning! She is one of the best students in the class now.

I am busy preparing for a road trip this weekend with the girls. Their baby brother, adopted by their dad's brother, is going to be baptized. His new mom has a HUGE family of sisters, all with boy children only! so it will be a wild weekend. Drive all day Friday, Friday evening probably hit the pool. Saturday morning hit the pool. Saturday afternoon there is an OU game so everyone but me will be glued to the tv for that! Sunday church and a brunch afterwards then head home. It is a nine hour drive each way. Anyway, I am renting a car since mine is very old and not so trustworthy that far from home. So preparing also means remembering all the things that I have in my car like tissues and wipes and sunglasses, as well as choosing appropriate clothing for all. I am the hardest one in that regard for I am a jeans and tee shirt/ sweat shirt type of person, but this will be much dressier than that. Even hanging around the hotel. My sister is the VP of a hospital, and the baby's new mom's family is very formal as well. I always feel like an odd man out at functions like this. My sister doesn't even OWN a pair of jeans! I feel like I am "dressing up" when I wear a pair of corduroy jeans! LOL
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Hello again!

Busy day not doing my writing! Haven't been doing it for a few days now. :embarassed:
    This morning I did all the utility and council tax cancellations for the flat sale. Also tried to book a boiler service for our own boiler. Failed as no one answered. I also want the guy to look at my bathroom radiator which isn't working. Stuck valve I think.

Then I booked a meal up in London for us, one of my stepdaughters, and DSIL and her boyfriend. On the 25th. DH wants to go to the Celts in the afternoon and I can go to an Egyptian exhibition. Got that organised and coordinated. We can all swap presents that day as well. DH's other daughter can't come. Just being awkward I think.

Rang a friend for a chat. DH went to exchange his new slippers because the sole was coming off. ;)

Then we went paint shopping and got some colour swatches. The painter, our friend, is coming on Friday just to have another look at the job and pick up keys from us as we will be in France. Good job we trust him! :laugh:
    We also bought some gaffer tape for sealing boxes tomorrow. That occasioned some jokes in the paint shop with the guys there! ! ! !
    Came back and packed the car with boxes, steps and tools for tomorrow. Cleaning stuff and rubber gloves. Got some rolls out of the freezer to make up tonight for an early dash tomorrow if needed. I have to ring at 8 am to check what time they are coming.
    Then I cooked a game stew with cider. Leeks in it. Having it with pointy cabbage. There's enough for two days so I won't have to cook tomorrow. :D

Phew! Haven't stopped today.

Love to all. Tomorrow will soon be over and then I just wait for the phone call on Friday to tell me I've completed.

Heather UK

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    <3 Happy Veterans Day <3
    Thank you for your service!

Today I went swimming with my DS I L and friend, and it felt so good after all the painting that I have been doing. The hot tub was even better! I am only going to be able to paint until 330. Then we will go and serve dinner to the veterans at the American legion tonight. The ceilings will be done with the second coat, and all the walls will have one coat of primer on them. My DH already started tearing up the old wood floor. I think he is planning on getting the floor and painting done before Thanksgiving. We are having company for Thanksgiving all the way through that weekend. Not sure we will be able to accomplish it but whatever we get done will be OK with me. I think I am going to be a nail pulling duty after the painting. Then I saw the boards and my husband nails them into the floor.

Have a great day everyone!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Stress eater? No never!!! :lol::cookie:
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »
    Heather congrats on your apartment finally settling. Also sorry I got you mixed up. My favorite store, Christopher is having a sale and you get 50% off one item. They have some lovely leather jackets, one of them red. I just can't see putting out that much money for a red coat that can only be used with certain outfits. So I didn't buy it. But as I was checking out a little old lady was buying it. I'm sure she will look chic in it.

I think I spoke to soon on Charlie's medicine. He has gone to the bathroom way to many times today. About 8 last night and about that same time during the day. I also have had some suspicious stools today. Gone several times, each one looser than they one before. Our Sunday school class is having their lunch tomorrow. I am hesitant in going and possibly exposing these old ladies to something like C Diff.

Joyce, Indiana

The red sounds lovely!! Did you find out about Charlie's medicine, is the bathroom a side effect?? Gayle Minneapolis
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Happy Veteran’s Day. Thanks to all who served and their families.

Betty, you can rant all you want and I hope you know that. We all do things against our better judgment when it comes to our kids. Hang in there.

Terri, you know I have (((((Hugs))))) for you any time. If it was all fun and games they wouldn’t call it work. Hang in there. I have to say it is so nice to be retired and not have to put up with that c#$% any more.

Pat, I think it’s fine to be picky about a purse. It’s not like they give them away and we all need just the right size and shape to be happy with it. I usually can find one when I’m not looking for it. How nice to have a remote for the fireplace. This is our first house ever that doesn’t have a fireplace. Boo hiss When we had a gas fire place every time I turned it on DH would complain about seeing dollar signs burning. He’s a comedian. I do miss having one. Your Christmas cactus is beautiful. I never had any luck with them.

Heather, I’m so glad you are feeling better. None of us enjoys the down times in our lives. Wow, I still can’t believe Christmas is right around the corner.

Mary, the painting definitely counts as exercise. Just ask your body. smiley-laughing013.gif

Terri, I’m glad your boss quit hovering. So that was all really because it needed cleaning and organizing? Too funny. Yep, I’d just tell ya that it needed doing.

IrishTerri, I have the same problem as you now with my clothes growing in my closet. I can’t wear a single thing that I wore 6 months ago and even though I’m buying clothes at a good price, I’ve never had to replace an entire wardrobe at once and hate spending the money. I have always loved Christmas Sweaters and often bought one after the season on sale. Well if I don’t buy one at full price, I won’t have a single one to wear this year. Boo hoo Beautiful card.

MicheleNC, if Denise really wants your rings, I just don’t understand why she can’t tell him and ask him to get her a nice bracelet or necklace that she can wear all the time. I have a diamond bracelet that DH got me for our 20th anniversary and I wear it every day with jeans or formals. If they are going to get married, I’d think that she could talk to him about anything. Just IMHO, you understand. She should end up with what she wants.

Cheri, absolutely beautiful!!! You must have done something right.

Rori, what a bummer that you aren’t feeling up to par. Sending healing thoughts your way. (((Hugs)))

Pip, I don’t see anything on Kirby’s schedule about resting??? Where does it say “nap”??? I think I was surprised to see speech therapy. Is he having any problems with his speech?

Sylvia, I’m so glad you liked the doctor and so happy that she seems very thorough. I hope she can find the root of all your problems and then a fix. It sounds like fun at Trader Joes.

Katla, when I have my blood drawn every 3 months at my doctor’s office, the vampire always asks for my name and birthdate. I have never shown an ID but then I am in my doctor’s office. They have techs from Med Corp in the office and not his nurses. I hope you get good results!

Becca, you said, “Well, my husband is the ULTIMATE saboteur! I know I make my own decisions but he is NOT helping....”Then you went on to tell us about going to a pizza place and all the things you ate there. Where did he come into it? Was he the one that wanted to go there? I love my DH but a pizza place is the last place I’m going with him. Some things are just too hard to resist. I do have to add, “Shame on you”. After all that pizza and stuff you had 3 cookies???? Next time, just say NO.

Mindy, happy for you that your DD is there and son is coming.

Joyce, how nice that you could help your sister with her computer problems even though you had to figure out a work around to get there. Good for your nephew on turning his life around. Gosh it has been so hard since I quite all nicotine, I can’t even imagine what a drug addict must go through. Good for him.

Robin, welcome. This is a very supporting and informative group of loving ladies. Please tell us a little more about yourself to help us get to know you. We do ask that you sign each post with the name you want to be called as it makes it easier to respond. I see your dog and you will find lots of animal lovers among us. Come often and join right in.

Sylvia, good for you on getting through two talks. Ya know what they say, “What doesn’t kill us makes us stronger”. And great going on resisting those donuts. That would have been the hard part for me! Please remember to breath and take one thing at a time. We all know you are Super GM and will get to everything. (((Hugs)))

Katla, we had a dual control electric blanket that worked great. I think it was/is a Sunbeam? It’s in the attic now as I no longer freeze at night and we just don’t need it.

Rosi, you are right about the non-food struggles. That is one of the things I love about this group is that we can discuss any and everything. Most of life can affect our eating so it all adds to the journey.

Tracie, take a deep breath and just remember that you have this whole group of ladies rooting for you. We often think of this group or specific ladies when we are tempted to eat from emotion. Feel free to picture me sitting on your shoulder encouraging you “Not to do It”. (((Hugs)))

Heather, so happy the flat will soon be a thing of the past for you. Sounds like busy times but then you rarely sit around doing nothing. (((Hugs)))

m1277.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Gosh, I got a slow start this morning. The sun actually came out yesterday afternoon and it was beautiful. It was good to get back to line dancing but after 2 hours I was wiped out. I did stop by Hamricks to see if I could find some jeans as my newest ones were just too big. I didn’t get exactly what I wanted but for $8.00 I couldn’t resist and got a blue pair and a black pair. That should hold me through the winter. I need to cut my hair and take a shower if I can work up the energy. *Lazy lady today* Be good to yourselves, my friends and I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    patcheo - beautiful Christmas cactus. My mom's is blooming too... I think it is a little early for it to be blooming

Lillian
    in West Central Saskatchewan
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    hi Robin from Nova Scotia

Lillian from West Central Saskatchewan
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :)Katla, we had a dual control electric blanket until we got Sasha and she started chewing the wires and pulling them out of the blanket. Jake had never like electric blankets so he was happy to pull the rest of the wires out of the blanket, throw away the controls, and declare it a regular blanket. Now we use many blankets on our bed and add and subtract as the temperature changes. We can use blankets that are smaller than king size and have them hang to the floor on one side and be that person's blanket. Each of us can add and subtract as needed so I can have a big pile while Jake has only one.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Talk about Christmas cactus! My broccoli is sprouting out there in the garden! It normally doesn't sprout until early spring. It's been so mild recently. :) We will have it with the rest of the game stew tomorrow night. The more you cut the more it sprouts, but we are going away for two weeks soon. :'(

Love Heather UK
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    Went to make sure Cracker had not 'messed' on the deck; and realized I have 2 cacti setting blooms. I'm so excited. She's got a new bed because I decided to wash and dry her old one and put it into her crate, so she isn't sleeping on the hard floor of it. She did not 'cry' when I left the house today after putting her in her crate.

Our alarm went off today and I was trying to get it to stop and finally called the alarm company and through testing discovered that the siren has something wrong with it. Maybe wasps have built a nest in it or something easy and not expensive. Also, Louis called saying they had called him, too! I guess they do that to make sure if someone is supposed to be home to decide what type, if any, help needs to be called. Do have special code if there was ever a hostage situation, for silent alarm. Boy, that sucker was LOUD! Only 2nd time since we've had it that there was a 'false' alarm. First time, son called me to not go home, or if I did and it looked like door had been opened. To leave. Found out that it was the front door and not the back, so that got corrected. Actually was the front door and it is protected by a porch, so it is possible that someone tried to get in. Sometimes wonder if it helps. Having a long driveway also helps to know if I recognize the vehicle. I guess if the kids are home and it goes off when we're not; they can make sure it isn't a false alarm. I'm don't have their code to get in; but, I don't go into their home unless I am 'specifically' asked to do so (like turning off alarm when they forget the bug man is coming). GEEZ!

Washing clothes. UGH! 4 loads! I did not know how many things were dirty and don't know where I will put them when they are clean. Louis has about 6 work shirts to wash; but, he usually does his laundry. Yeah!

Kitchen counter still looks like a wreck. I've looked into the fridge and wonder where the heck I am going to put ham and turkey; much less where leftovers will go. I need to rearrange it and maybe put my shakes up at the top; and then I can put the things in jars in my drawers.

I've so glad that "Cuties" and "Halos" are back 'in season'. I love those things!

Hope everybody realizes it is 'hump day' already for most of us. Where does the time go? Seems like the weeks just have been flying by. It's almost mid-November. I think it is going to be 'gift cards' again for the adults and teenagers. Presents for the 2 younger ones.

Watching "Rehab Addict" on television. Boy, she is very industrious! I could be that way with my own home but would not like having $$ tied up in a house to hope that it sells when she is finished. But, think it would be fun to kick down walls.

I like several other shows and one had 'pecky cypress' that had been painted in the MBR. I could understand why the people would not have wanted it. Tacky when it is painted; but, they ripped it down and I would have carefully taken it down and taken it to someone who could plane the paint off it. All the holes and marks in it were not painted.

Watched the "Salvage Dawgs" rip apart an old log cabin and wanted to be able to 'scream' STOP!!!! Call Michael Bowe with Barnwood Builders to come take it apart so that it could be used again. They cut through all the logs to take them down; and, then they took the old wood logs and had them planed down; and only got 3 boards out of each log. What are people thinking when they discover all this old stuff. Our house is very rustic. Made of Cypress wood. DH used to spray it with a clear varnish; now he is allowing it to age to a nice silver-gray. Has metal roof on it, love to sit on the swing on the covered deck and heat the rain hitting it. The main part of the house is decorated much like a hunting lodge with the menagerie of various animals hanging up.
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Happy Wednesday (again) ! ! !

Katla – We have a dual electric blanket, and I love it. But I bought it on clearance, so I can’t remember the brand. A co-worker of mine has a dual electric mattress pad, and she loves that, too. Good luck (and good couponing if possible) deciding !

Tracie
    – Hugs for your emotional eating. I hope you can quickly find a solution and alternative ! ! !

Yes, I needed the assistance at decluttering and re-organizing my desk. It was a mess 4 years ago when I got hired, and my packrat mentality just made it worse. My supervisor was so patient and kind, especially after I made her laugh by saying “I don’t have the clean gene”.

All 4 of us ladies that work here are still struggling with living a healthy lifestyle, and we were talking about it yesterday. I mentioned that I no longer eat back my exercise calories, because I have been on this plateau for so long. She (the RN Supervisor) thought that a straight 1200 calories + exercise is too restrictive for my body, and will make my plateau worse. She suggested I eat back 1/3 of my exercise calories. Her main education for this suggestion is that she used to train for Triathons and other similar races. I will try 1 more week this way, then try her way if I don’t see any change. I feel better if I avoid or strictly limit white carbs, so I’m going to REALLY focus on that for a while. Monday’s class “Cooking for Diabetes” certainly should help teach me some distractions, and help me be supportive (and sneaky) with DH. This should be helpful for both of us, so win/win sounds like a great idea. Next, figure out how to get teenage DS to eat less junk !?!?!

I picked up reading on page 24, because I now have more work to be done than usual, since nothing was able to go through the correct programs or the Internet. So I’m sorry I don’t have too many personal responses at this time. Tonight after work we have a going-away party for one of the Doctors who is moving to Colorado to retire. I will only go for 1 lemonade, then head home for a healthy dinner and a quiet house, and watch Criminal Minds in bed like I do most Wednesdays. I didn’t sleep last night because of restless legs, but I only ate 1 yogurt/granola (no more midnight cereal available in the house). DS is bowling the Sport League tonight, and DH takes him to that (for coaching, because this league is difficult and a learning experience). I would go along to shop at Big Lots, but I’d rather (try to) sleep.

The Internet is finally fixed, so I am happy again.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee