WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

Phew! Back from the flat clearance and I just nodded off for a quick nap.

Of course I didn't sleep well last night. :ohwell: I set the alarm, but was awake long before. DH was a little bit grumpy at being chivvied along so early, but he put up with me. :)
    We arrived before the men and set to boxing up crockery, saucepans, bits and pieces, bed clothes etc. DH dismantled two wardrobes and then we took down curtains, light shades etc. Felt pleased with ourselves until I asked DH to take a look in the loft with the torch I had brought with us. (Couldn't get the electricity to work, even though I went out and put money on the key) There was LOADS of stuff up there! Junk galore!
    The guys came and I explained that I hadn't realised there was so much stuff up there. We only had a tiny set of steps, but they managed to manhandle one of them up there and took nearly an hour clearing it out. The rest of the flat only took half an hour! ! Of course I had to pay quite a bit extra for extra cubic feet in the van and extra half hour labour, but they worked like TROJANS and, although they were clearly exhausted, managed to keep cheerful. Youth, eh! ! ! ! Such hard work!
    Of course, I tipped them well. :D
    DH swept up and we left.
    Just waiting now for tomorrow when the solicitor tells me it's all gone through and we have completed! ! ! :drinker:

Love to all and welcome to the new people. Stick with us and slowly, but surely it will happen. :D
    I have not eaten my stress this month. o:) These ladies help me sooooooooo much. :love:

Heather UK
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    DamitJanit wrote: »

I’m so excited about having guests for Thanksgiving dinner but of course now I’m concerned about the menu. Just because I only want turkey and dressing and roasted veggies doesn’t mean that our guests will. So I’m looking at options to add a bit more to the meal. I don’t eat sweet potatoes but saw a recipe for sweet potato and butter nut squash with roasted pecans on top. I might add that as DH will eat it and I can send some home with guests. It would add a little color to the meal.

Myrtle Beach, SC

DJ, the first time I had Thanksgiving dinner for a group, I asked each of the invitees what one thing was really important to them as part of the Thanksgiving meal....then I made sure to include all those things along with the turkey and stuffing that I already planned to make as my favorite. I think I ended up adding green and black olives Grandma Ellie's sweet potato casserole with marshmallows, and pumpkin pie.

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Last night I took the grands to gymnastics and the evil exwife showed up. I was freaking out, but I called my son and he just said, "well, she has said she wanted to come watch them at gymnastics." Like it was no big deal. The middle DGD said that her dad told her that her mom was coming. Sure wish he had mentioned it to me! I managed to make it through the episode without making a scene, but it was touch and go there for a few seconds. This is a woman who has had her parents abduct the kids before and hide them. I don't trust her. He says she has changed, but I don't buy it. Maybe I'm just a hateful and vindictive old woman.

This morning after taking the kids to school I went to the Y, then took Spot to the vet. He got his boosters and a clean bill of health and was pronounced to be a great little dog by our crotchity old vet. Then I went to the home of the potter who died recently. His wife wanted me to come look at all the pottery stuff he left behind and try to help her get rid of it. She has no idea what all is there or what it's worth. He was a hoarder, so one I saw it I understood just how overwhelmed she was. There are massive amounts of stuff. Some good stuff and some junk. I left with a box full of magazines and a really nice sieve that I plan to pay her for. I'm going to have to get some help from some of the other potters to organize the rest of the stuff and get it taken care of.

Yesterday I met with my walking buddy and another artist to discuss making an artist's coop here in our town. We went to see a building here on our main drag next to the trailhead park for the rails-to-trails. It was an enormous space, and we all loved it. It's across from the farmer's market, and it has lots of parking. It's in really bad condition so it will take a LOT of work to get it ready to use. We are hoping to get 20 or more artists to split the rent/costs and run the gallery. There is a small business development center on campus and they have offered to assist us on the planning stages. Just what I need. Another project. I have preliminary visions of selling my pottery there and using my current building to have art classes. Each of us would work in the gallery a certain amount of hours each month. Does anybody know of art guilds or coops in your areas that are working successfully? If so, please share the names of the places so I can research it online. We are looking at business models to decide on exactly what we want to do before we open it up to other artists. We want to have a jury process and not accept just anyone.

Well, It's after 11 already. I can't believe I've wasted half the day. Better get busy!

Take care!

Sylvia
  • mollywhippet
    Options
    8yq6lfjjk8wx.jpeg
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,368 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    nissanmama I remember that feeling! Although mine was when I was 39 going on 40. I went into a blue funk about a month before my 40th birthday. When the family asked me what was wrong, and I told them, they laughed themselves silly. I was furious, until they calmed down long enough to tell me that I wasn't 40 until the following birthday! Turning 40 didn't seem such a big thing the next year.

Lisa I admire anyone who can write a full length book. I have only managed short stories, although I was working on a longer one last year. I find Poetry is much easier for me to write. I guess poets and authors have slightly different talents with words.
    I think the selective amnesia re what I was eating was a big part of my problem in the past. Now I log 'every bite and swallow', to quote one of our compadres, and along with copious amounts of exercise, it seems to be doing the trick.

DJ We have been 'doing Christmas' for so long now that I know exactly what everyone likes. Most of our dishes are tried and tested family favourites from the days when DMIL was the hostess. I do a vegetarian option for the non-carnivores. Everyone likes to bring something to the table and the whole family muck in to help. Sometimes I have to throw them out of the kitchen because there are too many helping hands. I work out a schedule on my iPad and iPhone and get timely reminders of when things have to go in the oven etc, which means I don't miss the festivities in the main lounge because I am tied to the cooker. I set the table on Christmas Eve and we eat late afternoon on Christmas Day so that we are done in time to watch the Christmas Dr Who! (We are almost all addicts!) There is never anything left as D#1 and 3 DGKs stay until the day after Boxing Day and they have very healthy appetites.

Heather Hooray! Completion is good! Such a relief for you!

Sylvia You are not a vindictive person! She has form. A leopard doesn't change its spots!
    I wish I lived in the states. I would be up for some of that potter's stuff. And I love the idea of your artists collective. It sounds like it is in a good spot for passing trade with the farmers' market and all. Best of luck with the project.
    Rotfl :grin: I just found your cartoon.

Computer woes! :( Our main family laptop hard drive seems to have developed a problem. It's the one I use most of the time for my writing and such like. All the work is backed up, but I am having problems accessing it on the other laptops. (DH has 4 altogether for various societies he is involved with.) Thank goodness for my iPad, otherwise I would be in stook.

This is today's effort from flower arranging.

1uu1x167fp6m.jpg

:heart: Healing thoughts and prayers to those who need them! :heart:

:sunglasses: Welcome to our Newbies. Sit a spell! :sunglasses:

:star: Each one of us is a vital cog in an infinite universe. :star:
    We may not know our purpose, but each cog needs to be oiled and tended.

:heart: May peace and joy shine on your day! :heart:

smiley-happy110.gif

Irish Terri
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday ! ! !

Grits – My Dad turned his bathtub into an easy-walk-in shower with a chair and 3-fold doors, and he LOVES it ! ! ! // So sorry about your taxidermist friend. Hugs for all friends, family, and loved ones ! ! !

Joyce – We got a little storm last night, but not as bad as was expected. Lots of lightening, so winds up to 50 mph, and it is still pretty windy but the temp is back up to 50 degrees. A co-worker and I are going to try walking a little outside during lunch. We’ll see how that goes.

I think DH lost his mind last night at H.S. bowling practice. The assistant coach stood up to him and said he would not step down for DH to step up. DH walked up to the director, had a long conversation, then pulled DS off Varsity to create his own JV team. Why is everybody afraid to tell this man the truth? Too bad I have to miss practice again next Monday for the Cooking for Diabetes class, so I can’t get it fixed before next week Wednesday, unless the Director agrees to have a special Coach’s meeting. I will just never understand why people can’t do what’s best for the greater population instead of only worrying about their own child. Whenever someone invites DS to be on their bowling team, I tell the kids and parents straight-up that my son’s average could hurt the chance of the team winning, so they can make the correct decision for their child. Uggggh ! I just don’t know how to think straight about this. This is a time when I REALLY miss my Mom, because she was so open-minded and calm.

More later, hopefully, after lunch. Leaving for our lunchtime walk soon.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,092 Member
    Options
    Sylvia love the poster.

Lenora so sorry about your friend. Reminder in an instant. Enjoying every day I am given.

Liking my new choir. He had us sing a fun song about being in a choir just for fun. Walking the talk. I even shared music with one of the woman who gave me a hard time on my first night. I think she is realizing I do know what I am doing and I have no wish to supplant her with the descants.

:heart: Margaret
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,709 Member
    Options
    hey peeps-
    someone started a gofundme acct to raise $ for Kirby and she wants to transfer the acct to me to take it over but I am having a HELL of a time, won't transfer and there is no phone cs help just email. :0(

oh, also got a call from the storage place, a guy parked next to our airstream nicked it with his boat. :0( when he was trying to park his boat back into his spot. geez, what else :0(
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    smiley-happy023.gif Heather, congrats on finally getting things finished on your rental....you were so wise to just do what needed to be done to get the last of the stuff out and and thank and give a good tip to the workers who did all the work....now you can put your energy into the next thing on your list. :)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Irish Terri: I am very pleased with my blood work and proud of myself for doing a little research on the internet and coming up with a plan. It is gratifying to know I've made some good choices. :bigsmile: There is a Christmas Dr. Who? Is it available to purchase? DS has been a Who fan since he was a little kid & 'd love to surprise him with something like that. :flowerforyou:

Heather: Congratulations on the flat clearance. You must be practically walking on air! :bigsmile:

Sylvia: You are not a hateful and vindictive old woman. You are a smart one and know exactly how unreliable the DGK's mom can be. Good luck on the artist's co-op. :heart:

Pip: I'm so sorry you're having a tough time just now. I have no idea about gofundme accounts. I wish you luck. :flowerforyou: The travel trailer assault guy should pay for repairs. :mad:

I had a difficult talk with DD that I think turned out well. We will not see her at Christmas because DH doesn't want to travel, & the cost of airfare this time of year is sky high. I would rather travel in January to help her close up her house and get ready to move to Illinois. She seemed satisfied with the outcome.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

November Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of a strength training DVD with the band today. The plan for tomorrow is to do a workout in the deep water. We shall see if the CD player will work, I'm not optimistic.
    79jxgsfjlhly.jpg

Denise just told us that Pete's parents are planning to give them a "sizeable" downpayment on a house. Why the rush??????

Kristina from So. Ca - welcome back! I'm so sorry to hear about your A1C. Never heard of Contrave, but I would think that there'd be some sort of comparable med.

Lenora - I'm so sorry you have such problem with your family. You are such a good person, why do things like this have to happen? I think Denise has this "motherly" instinct in her. She wants to "fix" things. When this guy was physically and emotionally abusing her, she still stayed with him and I think there was a part of her that felt she could "fix" him. Also, to me his mother is "enabling" (Vince hates when I say that) and it's so much easier right now to just let someone else do things (like pay for a truck, co-sign for an apartment). but what's going to happen in the future?

nissanmama - welcome. Are you in the Susquehanna valley? We used to live in the Poconos and then lived in Kennett Square. We got our fair share of snow when we lived in the Poconos, so I totally understand where you are coming from. You can do this!

Hey Kim. Come back often.

Vicki - hope you get some sleep

DJ - the only reason I'm upset about the rings is because I know that Denise has wanted them for years and now she won't be getting them. Oh well..... I guess now I'm just feeling that marriage is a new experience and it'll be new for them and for us. I suspect that they're real tight. I just hope they remember that Denise has a family, too, and they don't expect us to always roll over for their family. Well...we shall see what the future brings. I wouldn't have any rings if Denise were to get them, but that doesn't bother me. I hope these pics of my rings do them justice. As you can see, there is a 3-prong holding the diamond, today most dismonds are held on with just one prong.

Sylvia - you are such a great grandmother, I just hate that you have to go thru so much with the exwife. Loved your pic

Michele in NC

xj87ghks2ezo.jpg
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    I don't know why one picture is in the middle of my post and the other one is at the end. But I hope you can see.

hmmmm...might be a good idea for me to learn how to resize the picture, too

Michele in NC
  • mollywhippet
    Options
    I'd like to get some opinions on something. This is the bathroom we are getting ready to redo. We built the shell when we remodeled the outside of the house, and now are getting ready to open it up. Originally I planned to put a bathtub in the addition, but since our trip to Spain I decided I didn't want a whirlpool tub after all. (Some of you may remember my fiasco in the whirlpool tub at the hotel.) So, we have decided just to make a big shower instead. Along the lines of a wet room. We're just thinking of putting a frosted glass door on it and putting the control knob near the door. There is a small round window high up in the wall in the shower room, and a high pitched roof. Originally there was a tub/shower combo in the room where the toilet is. We thought we would take that out and put in a sink with a nice counter and a linen closet. One sink will stay where it is. I'm a little concerned that it won't have any counter space, but hubby said he doesn't need any counter space, just a medicine cabinet. And we decided to enlarge the closet instead of using the whole space for bathroom.

So, any ideas or suggestions? Thanks,

Sylvia
    m1h44hxlnqpc.jpg
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,803 Member
    Options
    Michelle~ beautiful rings.. I would be thrilled to have a set like that....
    Tom made it safetly to florida.. and hope he relaxes and enjoys .
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Yesterday did a lot of thinking about my Dad in the Navy, my sons in the Navy, and my life as a Navy wife. Yesterday was my middle Navy sons' birthday (he was 7 lbs 7 oz, born on 11-11) so I always called him my "7-11" baby. The fact that his birthday will always be on Veterans Day, has special meaning.

On his 17th birthday (which was 11-11-11) I told him that I wanted to go to the 7-11 store that had just opened and tell the manager if we could "rent it out" for 17 minutes, play music really loud eat cake and have drinks.... My son looked at me like I had gone off the deep end...."WHAT???" Is all I could say back... We used to always see 7:11 AM on the clocks at home so we just decided to stop the world and dance during the morning when that time would show up on the clocks... His younger brother and I still do that....

So a pic of my Navy men...for those that haven't seen them:

Wedding%20007_zps20ktvkqq.jpg

This was on Sept 2014 when my middle son got married.
    Becca
  • Annr
    Options
    IMG_5321_zps1yzkahzj.jpg

This Oct. I think married life agrees with my son, he seems really happy. My MIL was surprised to see all my DIL's tattoos though...
  • Annr
    Options
    hmmm when you look at my eldest son, he has lost weight from one pic to the next. Thank goodness though, my husband has gained weight!
    Becca
  • Annr
    Options

xj87ghks2ezo.jpg
    [/quote]

Breathtaking rings!
    Becca
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving for us will be baked ham, turkey, (I cook these); DOGD does the dressing and squash casserole, DDnL#1 will be asked to make her fabulous red potato salad, DOS will do the green bean casserole. DYS and DDnL#2 will cook other meals. DDnL#2 still doesn't know when she can fly in because that 'dickhead' of an 'ex' hasn't told her when he is planning on picking up DGD#4. She drove last year because he screwed up her plans; she then went hunting when she got her. Sick over the weekend and had to drive by herself all the way home following DYS (or being followed by him). They share custody and supposedly they alternate; but, I don't see it as she did not have her last year. She said she was going to nail down 'next' Thanksgiving so that her daughter will be able to get to know this side of her family.

Yeah, we'll probably be doing funeral for a couple of days. Wake and visitation and then the funeral. Well known Taxidermist in the area, retired last year. His nephew took over the business. He is in his mid 20's now; last time DH had seen her was when he was 16 and driving the truck and trailer to Louisiana to help deliver about 30 different mounting of deer and ducks, and a beaver, and some other sort of animal (Maybe a bobcat). Said that when a car cut them off that Bob reached over and blared on the horn. I don't know what all he said but I am sure when they had the opportunity to pass them again, it wasn't a very nice passing. LOL! Yeah, we've lost several neighbors and other friends, and it certainly makes you start thinking about the things that are now more important than they used to be.

I'm not sure what I want to tackle next ... it has taken DH a long time to work on the glassed-in porch. But, he is slowly getting there.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Michelle - Lovely rings. I can see why Denise would love them.

Becca - Good looking family.

Sylvia - Your plan seems great. I hate my frosted shower doors because they are so hard to keep clean. Your closet will be fantastic.

Beautiful afternoon here today. Love walking the Pom. There were so many Oak leaves in one stretch that you could not see the sidewalk.

Went to Kohl's to actually try on tops and saw what I really looked like. That makes me renew eating habits. All of my weight lands in my torso and it really shows when trying on shirts. Ugh!

Carol/Peach