WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Happy Anniversary Heather!

Sylvia, your story about Molly was so entertaining. Dogs have their little habits that must be allowed...LOL

Miriam, Wow, that cat bite was a terrible thing to happen to you. Hoping all those meds help you mend quickly.

Pip, crossing fingers that Kirby and you get home safely and that he will continue to heal.

Beth, glad you didn't try to get on the roof. Way too dangerous.

Another sunny day here but supposedly cooler. No plans. I made a trial run cornbread dressing for dinner last night and it was good. But, DH said I have made better. This was so much easier because instead of chopping celery and onions I used the new Campbell's sweet onion cooking sauce and a can of Cream of Celery soup.

Carol - Peach
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Happy Anniversary Heather!

Joyce - just bought a little Bella single-cup coffeemaker for the warehouse, and it has that permanent filter to use regular coffee in that Carol/Peach is referring to. It was about $39, much, MUCH cheaper than the Keurigs themselves, which even with Christmas coming have only dropped to $79. It's also not very big. I like it.

Pip - hope Kirby's homecoming is amazing...

Chilling at the ranch today, the craft show is tomorrow, and I'll have to be in early. Or go in later today and just stay. Haven't decided yet, but hate sleeping without the hubster any more than I have to. Will have to think about it. Wind advisories and freeze watch on for Saturday night, but Saturday during the day is s'posed to be sunny and 50 degrees. Hopefully there will be a good turnout.

Warmest regards,
    Lisa in sunny West Texas

• Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Heather - Happy Anniversary

Pip - that is great that Kirby gets to come home ...or is he home already?

Mary - Yes I am sore from curling and I only curled half the game.

My mom fell last night. She broke her shoulder and they are not sure about her hip so she is in the rural hospital and could be moved to the city this morning. Late night and early morning....and could very well be a long day. My mom is 80 and her bones are very brittle - I hope her hip isn't broken, it is bad enough her shoulder is broken - but two things will be way worse. She has a very low pain tolerance.

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Forgot to say that I had a delivery yesterday of a new silky cowl top. It was on offer. I thought the vivid raspberry colour would be good for Christmas. :D I'm going to give it a trial run to the restaurant tonight, with a pencil skirt and high heeled knee length boots.
    Also received some royalties from one of my old children's books, "THE TROUBLE WITH HERBERT". I think Barbie has read it. And Kim. The royalties were from the US and from Spain for educational publishing. Still available online for early readers from Amazon. It's a pity the US version doesn't have the full colour cover, but it is one of my favourite books. My name is Heather Eyles. <3

Anniversary going well so far. B) This afternoon we are going into the village to pay in my royalties, get some cash for tonight's taxis, and also get some more euros.
    This morning the council rang me to sort out the council tax I owe on the 3 months my rental was untenanted. Have to pay that, but it was unusually intelligent of them to ring to sort it out instead of a flurry of letters which takes ages.

Love to all. Miriam - sounds absolutely ghastly! Poor you! <3

Heather UK
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »
    I'm sure some of you ladies like the Kuerig coffee makers. Is there a way of making coffee that does not entail buying the expensive refills. Michelle wants one for Christmas but I don't want to buy her something that is going to be expensive for her to maintain. She wants one of the mini ones that is a single cup. It also needs to be one that has a lot profile. I have the number of it from her Amazon wish list. Just can't remember which one it is.
    Joyce, Indiana

Joyce this is what I purchased and use in our Keurig.

sy5qxyz80xs8.jpg

Cheri in cccooolllllddddd NE Ohio
  • EllieJac1
    EllieJac1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    October Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow. Done!
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength. Done, through yoga, spin class and horseback riding as well as walking the dog.
    3. Have fun every day. This is important to my over-all success and I've managed to have fun every day, although not all day every day. :noway:
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more! Done! the longer I work at this goal there natural it becomes and the less I wish for soft drinks or drinks that contain alcohol.
    5. Eliminate alcohol. 99.9% done. I have had a celebratory sip once or twice. :embarassed:
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly. Getting plenty of sleep most of the time. :bigsmile:

October has been a good month. November is going to be a bigger challenge because we'll be travelling and will be guests in DDIL's parent's home for Thanksgiving week. I expect that I'll have much less control over food than usual while we are there. I will do my best each day to be a good guest, and to stay within my goals. The second challenge for both November and December is that our days get shorter and shorter. I crave light & need it to maintain a good attitude. Thank goodness for daylight temperature lights!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

November Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png[/ur

• EllieJac1
    EllieJac1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    ix6hu5n3gpxn.jpg

One of the tools that has helped me in my life journey is writing in a gratitude journal every morning.

Welcome back to those of you who have been posting on this thread and welcome to those of you who are joining us now.

The name of the thread is Women Ages 50+ but all women are welcome.

How did you do with your goals and resolutions for October?
    What goals and resolutions have you planned for November?

Please sign your post with your name or an alias and a location (general or specific) so we can get to know each other better.

t116009.gif Barbie from beautiful NW Washington t0464.gif

October Resolutions (with end of the month comments)
    *walk an average of 13,000+ steps a day (yes)
    *drink 9 glasses of water a day (every day)
    *finish organizing photos and other files on computer (finished photos and documents, but not music)
    *meditate for 5-10 minutes a day four or more days a week (yes)

November Resolutions
    *walk an average of 13,000 steps a day
    *organize music files on computer
    *meditate for 10 minutes a day four or more days a week
    *answer a friend's e mail that I've put off too long

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

Hi,
    My name is EJ from Mass
    I've lost my motivation and need a lot of help!
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My husband's company just made an arrangement with BeachBody for employees. We get the first 30 days free and reimbursed for the rest of the year if we join. Good deal. (can't stand Tony Horton though ... LOL). Any suggestions on which BeachBody program to start with? P90x is a little too intense for me I think. And whatever I do I'll still do swimming and walking. Thoughts?

Kimses in MA
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday ! ! !

Last night was busier than I expected, so I was unable to catch up on my reading, and picked up where I left off yesterday.

Miriam – Hugs and prayers for your infection situation. I hope that cat is “clean” and you heal quickly ! ! !

Carol
    – Congrats on the rain of men ! ! ! // Best of Luck for your son with the airport job. There is a lady in my neighborhood who drives one of those big golf carts around the Milwaukee airport, and she swears it is the best job ever, and she won’t say how much she makes (I never asked directly, but have dropped a few hints) but she is raising 4 teenage boys alone, so it must be pretty good. I hope there is room for growth for your son ! ! !

Barbie – Best of luck with all your tests ! ! !

Sylvia – I am laughing so hard at your story of Molly (and Spot) that I almost fell out of my chair. Thanks ! ! !

Beth – Now I’m laughing at your story about the ladder and wanting to get on the roof. I am allowed on the roof, but not allowed to move the ladder by myself (nor am I able). Thanks for more laughs ! ! ! (and I’m glad they care) // Regarding DS and his sports; It has been many years that I have been stating that I will get some of my free time and sanity back when the sports start picking him instead of him picking the sports. I don’t disagree with the coach, and I don’t have a problem with kids finding out the world does not revolve around him. Park/Rec basketball is so much more fun, so he will probably make a team again this year.

Joyce – there are reusable inserts for the Kuerig. I have seen them at Kohl’s and Target. I think they are about $15 . // Update: it looks like I am under-educated about the Kuerig. Good luck finding the correct item. I’m sure she will love it. Mine at work is unbelievably popular.

Heather – Happy Anniversary ! ! ! Safe Travels

Lillian – Hugs and Prayers for your Mom. Take care of yourself during this difficult time.

DS still isn't talking about basketball, so I have not been pressing the issue, but I am still trying to get him to eat healthy. It have to stifle my laugh when he cuts a kiwi in a/2, spoons out each 1/2, then eats it all at one time. At least he is getting a little fruit. // Sunday after bowling is a tournament at the same house. He knows a few other kids that are planning on being at the tournament, so that makes him happier.

My Dad wants to go to the symphony tomorrow night, so I hope my new dress fits (online and still in the wrapper, I bought it 1 size too small). I'm surprised he wants to go out, since he is so worried about the 3 inches of snow we are supposed to get tonight.

I ate a handful of candy corn last night. Why ? I just dont' know. It was on the counter, and I didn't even think about it. DH says I have been sleep-talking again, but it doesn't look like I've done any sleep-eating lately. I think it's all about drinking a large glass of milk before bed, so I'm less likely to rummage for food in the middle of the night. Quieter day at work today than I expected, so that is both good and bad.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Sylvia, I had a very mild case of shingles years ago. I caught it early since DH had it a couple of years earlier. I did ask my doctor and he said you can get it again. “Bummer” He told me that insurance doesn’t cover it unless you have drug coverage, which we don’t. I haven’t gotten it but probably will at some point. I loved the story about Molly trying to take over your chair. I can see those skinny legs and elbows every which way sticking out from behind you. cool.gif I wish you had a video of it. Ya gotta love em!!!!!

Beth, it’s none of my business but “Stay Off the Roof”!!! Good grief woman, were you going to go up there and nail the shingles back on or what?

Mary, it’s nice that you got the painting done and now it’s all fresh and new. I’m glad you put off the floor as I feel a break is in order. Relax and enjoy your Thanksgiving.

Joyce, my niece that I just visited in Texas has a Keurig coffee maker and had this little basket that fits in the spot for the coffee packs. You just put your regular coffee in it for each cup and don’t have to buy the expensive refills. That’s what I drank while I was there as all their packs were flavors of some kind.

Soraya, perhaps you could try to plan your meals and stick to the plan. I find that helps me. You can do this! So hang in there.

Heather, your trip to France sounds wonderful. You are so lucky to enjoy each day and live life to the fullest. I hope your anniversary is everything you each want it to be. (((Hugs))) smiley-love019.gif

Carol GA, your dressing recipe sounds interesting. I’d try it if it were just DH and me. lol

Lisa, I hope you have a good turnout for the craft show.

Lillian, so sorry about your mom. I do hope it is just the shoulder and I’m sending get well wishes.

Heather, I was wondering what you were going to wear tonight. It sounds like a killer outfit. I hope we get a picture tomorrow.

EJ, welcome. This is a great place for support and information. Please tell us a little more about yourself to help us get to know you. Come often and join right in.

Terri, I hope the new dress fits and you and your Dad have a good time at the symphony.

Pip, tell Kirby I said, "Happy Homecoming"! I hope you don't get overwhelmed with all the responsibility and take care of your shoulder. ((((Hugs)))) to you both.

m1277.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Yesterday I made a pot of chili and it turned out really good. I don’t have lots of plans for today and will just see what I end up doing. I might go get a pedicure. DH has gone to the bank to get a document notarized and then to the grocery store for just two items. He took Pepper (toy poodle) with him. He used to take Max and Pepper and they sat patiently in the car while he goes in the store. He only takes them if he will just be in the store for a short time. It will be interesting to see how Pepper does alone but they both loved getting to go in the car with Daddy.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • 2katlover
    2katlover Posts: 72 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    If all goes as planned, we will be getting snow tonight and tomorrow, maybe up to 10 inches. Not ready for this. At least I am off work Thanksgiving week because it is supposed to be a COLD week. Hope every has a wonderful day.

Jean in Wisconsin.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Done all our chores and I made a hair appointment for a trim in a week's time. :)

It feels really weird not having to cook this afternoon. I usually prep straight after lunch and I keep thinking I've forgotten something! DH bought a beautiful bunch of black kale at the farm shop. Will have that tomorrow with a game stew.

Lillian - oh, so sorry about your mother! You must be very worried. :flowerforyou :smile:

Barbie - Hope all your tests were helpful and tell you something you can do something about. <3

Our weather is turning colder today. It has been mild, wet and windy for so long. Quite a chill out. My knees feel stiff, so if we weren't going in a taxi tonight I would not be wearing heels. I think walking ten yards is my limit! :laugh:

Love Heather UK
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    :)Joyce, thank you for telling me your experience with a nerve conduction test....no one I know has ever had one so I had no idea and no personal experience to relate to....about the Keurig coffee pots...you can buy a thing that is an accessory that you can put your own ground coffee in and it fits in the pot like the single serving things....Jake has one so he can make coffee with special coffee that he buys or a mixture of regular and decaf.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,345 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of exercise in the water. The plan for tomorrow is to do a DVD that I got for free called "Prevention 400 calorie fix".

DJ - I dread the day Lexi either gets killed or has to be put to sleep. Vince will be an absolute basket case. It's interesting....when she was being seized by the SPCA, it was me who insisted we go up and get her. He honestly didn't want to. Now I don't know what he'd do without her.

Joyce - thanks for telling me that the chicken strips can be grilled! Now there's something else that I can ask for . I just read Consumers Reports annual buying guide and they say to skip the pod-coffeemaker adapters for loose cofffee because loose grounds are meant to brew using a different process. I honestly can't say anything good or bad about it since I got rid of my Keurig because I found that I didn't use it very much at all. That and I'm not much of a coffee drinker at all. As a matter of fact, it's probably been years since I've had a cup of coffee, and that was because someone else made it.

Carol/peach - I'm thinking that I'll make a sausage cornbread stuffing to take to Jessica. Not sure how she'll like cornbread -- sometimes she can be as pickey as Vince. But the stuffing she's made in the past, to me, has been "gummy". Bryan told her to toast bread and add chicken broth, some celery. It was too "bland". Hopefully, she'll like this. mmmm...maybe I won't tell her there's cornbread in it and see what she says. I can call it a "sausage bread stuffing". That's not lying, it's just "accidentally on purpose" eliminating a fact.

Lillian - I hope your mom's hip isn't broken, either. That's horrible for an elderly person

Welcome everyone new!

Welcome home Kirby!!!

Michele in NC
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Terri in Milwaukee – Sounds to me as if your Dad is trying to make sure to give you your own space even though you live in the same house by not assuming he is automatically invited to Thanksgiving. Possibly a little silly, but sweet.

Miriam – So sorry to hear about your foot. Apparently cat bites have the potential to get severely infected. I have a friend who ended up on an antibiotic IV when she got a cat bite.

Beth – Unless you are very sure footed please stay off the roof. I know I’m a bit paranoid about climbing on roofs, but falling off a one story house roof is why my uncle died and it makes me nervous to have friends and family climbing on roofs.

Mia in MI

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbie: I hope the nerve test reveals enough information for you to get effective treatment for your feet. Good luck. :heart:

Pip: I'm glad the electric wall heat is keeping you from living in an icebox at night. I wonder what is going on with your gas heat. We pay for a maintenance contract for our furnace and air-conditioner. They come out twice a year to service the units. We can call them if problems arise between services, but that is an extra cost. It has been working pretty well for us. :flowerforyou:

Michele: Thanks for your good wishes. :flowerforyou:

Queen Sylvia: Good job maintaining your boundaries with the dog. :bigsmile:

Lillian: I'm so sorry about your mom's fall. I'll send good thoughts that her doctors are able to get her out of pain and on the road to recovery. :heart:

Heather: Happy Anniversary! :heart: I love your penchant for glamour. Enjoy your new silky top! :flowerforyou: I have been rereading a children's book series by Arthur Ransome. It is the Swallows and Amazons series and I adore the books. I last read the series about 10 years ago and am enjoying them again. These books are all set in Britain in the time period between world wars, and revolve around a group of children having sailing adventures. The first books are set around Coniston, and this one is Secret Water, copyright 1939. It is set elsewhere but I don't know my geography well enough to say where other than a coastal estuary. The target readership was probably similar to that of the Harry Potter books, about 10-12 years old, plus or minus a few years. In my case it is plus quite a few years. :laugh:

I was all set for a trail ride this morning, but there is doubt I will be able to ride. I've been headachy & have an upset tummy. This morning is iffy. My husband says to go, and I really want to. On the other hand I don't want to need the bathroom while I'm on horseback out on a trail. Since we will be travelling in only a couple of days, I need to be sensible. I also need to be feeling well if I am going to be riding. It takes strength, balance & stamina to be safe while riding. Headachy, upset tummy and vague nausea aren't good indicators. :noway: I will probably have to cancel. :ohwell:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

November Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    My DOGD always makes our dressing for Thanksgiving. She makes it like my MS made for times when she made it. It calls for her to bake old fashioned corn bread the day before and crumble it up and then the next day she adds other ingredients and bake it. I'd get her recipe; but, what's the use ... she has been making it since she was 10 years old and spend Thanksgiving. I have no idea what I did before that.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
    Waiting for the discharge papers then I take him home!

b0sgwkzk4guf.jpeg
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Kirby is looking GOOD!!