• terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Milwaukee supports Paris on our way to the symphony

I don't think it's posting will try again at home
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Got back from Wichita late last night. My departure was pushed back due to weather, which worked out in my favor as I was able to spend a few more hours with DH. Thank you to everyone sent good wishes his way. He managed fine while I was away. We placed the cat in a pethotel so that DH would not need to do any bending over, and he could definitely sleep longer with the four-legged alarm out of the house. Next appointment will be Wednesday and hopefully we’ll hear that he’s got the green light to get the skin graft from the plastic surgeon in December.

Katla: Wishing you safe and easy travels.

Heather: Bon anniversaire.

Pip : Hope you get the heat back on. So happy to see Kirby is home.

Margaret : Holding good thoughts for your DH.

Miriam : Ow ! That’s one nasty bite you got. My cat likes to ‘play bite’ if you rub his tummy. I warned the folks at his pethotel about this, because I know their protocol is to immediately head to the emergency room if they are bitten by a cat.

Carol: Hope your new male friend is worthy of you.

CRS…yes, that’s me, too. I read 200 posts, and didn’t take any notes, so for now, please accept my warm greetings from cold Colorado. If you’re sick, please get well. If you’re healthy, stay well. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

• Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm. I clearly have to resize my profile picture.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
    well peeps, no luck. fuse wasn't the problem, no heat til 12/1. that is the earliest appointment we can get for someone to come out. on the bright side, we brought the kids home, they didn't go crazy jumping on him. we have two space heaters down here which is making it tolerable here.

tomorrow will be a better day. talked to one of his co-workers who organized a bunch of them coming here around 9am to deck the outside lights, he will be so surprised, she said it's gonna be about 12 of them!! they are bringing bagels and treats they said. tomorrow will be a better day
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    jcec0orjngw0.jpeg
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,916 Member
    Options
    :'(Pip,sorry about the no heat...glad you have space heaters and blankets

:)Rori, good idea to board the cat so your hubby didn't have to care for anyone but himself while you were gone.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies. Tonight is my early night as I have to go to bed early so I can get up at 8 AM for Sunday School. Charlie gets all nervous if Michelle hasn't eaten with us one day of the weekend. She didn't feel well today so she will have lunch tomorrow. Our church's Thanksgiving meal is tomorrow night so I know my calorie aren't going to be perfect. So light lunch which doesn't fit in with the kind of meal Charlie would like to have for lunch if Michelle is going to be with us. As Tim Gunn says on Project Runway, 'make it work'. Last year the Thanksgiving meal was right after church and that is a rather difficult thing to accomplish. I think most of the kitchen committee is in the choir and many times they have to skip church to get the whole meal ready since all the space has just been used for sunday School rooms. So I am glad it is in the evening.I have invited both my husband and Michelle but it is a resounding no. A woman can only pray and try. I remembered the meal this evening and didn't have the stuff to make my salad, So off to Walmart I went. I don't mind going during busy times. I love to people watch. One time I was in the lane next to one that this family had two carts stuffed to the brim. I do wanted to know how much it was as she also couponed. But I got finished before the other lady did and I didn't want to stand around and gawk so I left never knowing how much money this lady paid. The lane I picked tonight looked good, only one cart and the cart didn't look to full. But there was four other guys with her. hat I didn't know was that it was a group home and they each had several things in the cart that were of course rung up seperately. So it took a loooong time. But they have to learn. So i just had fun with the precious little boy behind me.

Dancer, welcome. You will have almost instant gratification here with us! We love it when some one even looses .2 pound!!!! Do you dance? We have several that line dance, I believe one does some ball room dancing occasionally and others of us dance in the shower.

Katla, have fun and be safe. I hope your husband does well so he will feel better when the next chance comes to travel.

Carol, NC, I hope your date went well and you can then have a real date

Pip, sorry your homecoming for Kirby has to be a debbie downer with the problem with the heat. I hope your friends putting up your outdoor lights doesn't put any more work on the fuses before you find out what the problem is. Dec 1st???? That's a long time to wait. Is there a cancellation list you can get on?

Barbie, one of my news stations had an article about food in the UK that Americans may not understand. It had a picture and description of blood pudding. Now I know I will never try it.Others were Crappit heids, Haggis, Jellied eels, laverbread, and my favorite Star gazy pie although the crust on top looked mighty good.

Joyce, windy Indiana
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Margaret: If the painting you posted is your work, you are quite talented. The whole experience sounds like a good time. :flowerforyou: Keeping your DH in my thoughts and prayers. :heart:

Rori: I'm glad to hear you were able to spend some extra time with your DH. Flight delays are not always a bad thing. :wink: :flowerforyou:

Joyce: Your article on English foods made me smile. The British are reputed to have very different tastes than we do. Heather's fine descriptions of meals is helping my understanding quite a bit. She is much more adventurous than I. My only personal experience with English food has been in an English style pub in a suburb of Victoria, BC. I have no idea how authentic the food was but I ordered something I considered safe and enjoyed it, probably fish and chips. :flowerforyou:

We're packing tonight and will be leaving for DS and DDIL's place around noon tomorrow. I hope we've packed the right things and don't violate any air travel rules. We are infrequent flyers. My last flight was to CO during the Christmas Season last year. DH didn't go. This time we're taking Made in Oregon foods & products along in our checked suitcase as a sort of hostess gift. I'm sure DDIL will help us get them packed in the right way so that we don't break any rules.

I dropped our dog off at the Veterinary Hotel this afternoon. Poor little guy was really sad to be left there, but there is no better place for him to be while we're gone. He is gifted a making me feel guilty. I think many dogs are gifted at inducing guilt; every dog I've ever owned has had the knack. :laugh:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

November Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png[
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    701136jat79z1ht9.gif
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    yesterday was a busy day.. worked ,then came home swept and washed floors, took the boys for a walk, and they we hopped in the car to go get dad at the airport.
    he is home and nice and tan.. we will be down there 3 weeks from today....
    Joyce~ have a safe trip and enjoy yourself...
    Pip~ wish there was something I could do for you from here to get that heat back on for you...
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Joyce and Katla - I guess the tv company chose those foods because they are unusual and a lot of British people have never eaten them. Nor would they. They are old fashioned, invented by the poor in the nineteenth century to make the most of left over ingredients the rich did not want.
    People these days eat chilli, pizza, curry, lasagne, Chinese. Nearly always out of a box from the supermarket. Or takeaways swimming in grease.
    I love haggis, but only buy it once a year for Burns' Night. Similarly blood pudding, which is normally called black pudding. Once a year when I am in a hotel for breakfast. Laverbread I had for the first time this summer in Wales. Delicious. But then I love seaweed. Most of those dishes are not English. Black pudding was popular in the north and Stargazy pie is a Cornish tourist myth, rarely cooked or eaten. The others are Scottish.
    Good food is largely for the privileged. That's why the rich are slim. My DH would never eat processed food, so I cook from scratch every day. I have the time. Not always the inclination, but I do it because I value my health.
    I know if I were under pressure from time, energy, depression or money I would eat as badly as the general population.
    Probably the main difference between the US and Britain is that we do like our British versions of "foreign" food. It bears no relation to the country of origin, but people like the taste. It is our norm. Fish and chips is still popular and usually bought as a takeaway from an outlet. Not a cheap option these days with the price of fish. Most places don't cook it well.

The general diet of the Western world upsets me enormously. I hate watching people killing themselves.

Lots of love to all of you who are trying to eat and live a better way. <3:flowerforyou: Stay strong!

Heather UK
  • GloworminWA
    Options
    DJ I am so sorry about your Max. I literally felt like someone had punched me when you said he died. It must hurt that you couldn't be there with him in the end. Love & Hugs to you and your DH.
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Morning, all... afternoon and evening... and a peaceful Sunday to you all.

Made a bit over $50 yesterday at the craft fair, which paid for my half of the table (a writer friend and I split the cost of one table) and my gas to get there and back. And a giant unsweet tea from Sonic during their happy hour. I have a thing for Sonic ice that is well beyond the scale of actually being reasonable. Missed it when we were in Oregon for three years with no Sonic within a hundred miles! It was a good learning experience for next year...

I no longer have any excuses for not writing... so I'm going to go do that. Listening to Jeff Buckley singing "Hallelujah" to get me in the mood. One of my favorite all-time songs.

Hope all the cold ones are having a warm and wonderful day, the sick are feeling better, and that everyone has a lovely Thanksgiving week... whether or not you celebrate.

Warmest regards,
    Lisa in chilly West Texas

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,087 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Joyce and Katla - I guess the tv company chose those foods because they are unusual and a lot of British people have never eaten them. Nor would they. They are old fashioned, invented by the poor in the nineteenth century to make the most of left over ingredients the rich did not want.
    People these days eat chilli, pizza, curry, lasagne, Chinese. Nearly always out of a box from the supermarket. Or takeaways swimming in grease.
    I love haggis, but only buy it once a year for Burns' Night. Similarly blood pudding, which is normally called black pudding. Once a year when I am in a hotel for breakfast. Laverbread I had for the first time this summer in Wales. Delicious. But then I love seaweed. Most of those dishes are not English. Black pudding was popular in the north and Stargazy pie is a Cornish tourist myth, rarely cooked or eaten. The others are Scottish.
    Good food is largely for the privileged. That's why the rich are slim. My DH would never eat processed food, so I cook from scratch every day. I have the time. Not always the inclination, but I do it because I value my health.
    I know if I were under pressure from time, energy, depression or money I would eat as badly as the general population.
    Probably the main difference between the US and Britain is that we do like our British versions of "foreign" food. It bears no relation to the country of origin, but people like the taste. It is our norm. Fish and chips is still popular and usually bought as a takeaway from an outlet. Not a cheap option these days with the price of fish. Most places don't cook it well.

The general diet of the Western world upsets me enormously. I hate watching people killing themselves.

Lots of love to all of you who are trying to eat and live a better way. <3:flowerforyou: Stay strong!

Heather UK

Well said Heather. I also cook from scratch. Commercially produced dishes have far too many hidden unhealthy additives, and too much sugar and sodium.

We eat a wide range of 'foreign' dishes, but I adapt them to our own taste. Even when we were less well off, I preferred to cook rather than buy processed food.

We eat fish and chips once a week, but the fish is salmon poached in lemon juice, and the chips are not deep-fat fried. I sometimes do potato wedges instead of chips. I parboil them and then toss them in One Cal spray then oven roast them.

Healthy eating is the order of the day, in our family.

I have had a few hectic days with my elder daughter and her boys. Today I will be chilling. Have a restful Sunday. :heart:

:heart: Healing thoughts and prayers to those who need them! :heart:

:sunglasses: Welcome to our Newbies. Sit a spell! :sunglasses:

:star: Each one of us is a vital cog in an infinite universe. :star:
    We may not know our purpose, but each cog needs to be oiled and tended.

:heart: May peace and joy shine on your day! :heart:

smiley-happy110.gif

Irish Terri harp.gif
  • GloworminWA
    Options
    2817891dpxfmr1sm5.gif Kirby!
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday to All! This is my 4 yr old granddaughter singing her turkey song.

https://facebook.com/laura.bilbo.9/videos/1060859740632560/
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! The outhouse tour was SO much fun! They had 13 outhouses, all decorated differently. Most were pretty plain on the outside but really wild inside. One was decorated as a chicken coop and when you open the door there was an actual live chicken sitting on the "throne" which had been made into a nest. I'll try to post a couple of pictures. There was a lot of very juvenile bathroom humor, which was pretty funny, due to the theme of the show. Each person voted for their 2 favorites and the winner got a ceramic chamber pot especially made by the local potter and used as a trophy. It was really, really silly, and there were a ton of people there from all over. Lots of cars with out of state plates. There was a catapult contraption set up where you could pay a dollar to shoot a roll of toilet paper up into a tree.

We left the bedroom to air out while we were gone, after I pulled out all the bedding. But when we got back it smelled just as bad as it did before. I pulled the crate away from the wall and discovered a horrible mess. It hadn't all been on the bedding. So, I spent the evening cleaning the crate and washing the walls and the dresser and rug.

This morning I've gotten two pies in the oven and am trying to organize my schedule for dinner. The kids are coming today for Thanksgiving dinner since they will be at their mom's on Thursday. I bought a big turkey breast which I will cook in my new (garage sale) turkey roaster. I plugged it in last night to make sure it works and it does.

So, I have to get busy. Have a great day!

Sylvia
  • phyllis115
    phyllis115 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Good morning all. Happy Sunday ! Phyl in Cincy
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,051 Member
    Options
    I figured out how to share photos on Windows 10. You import the photos after you download with your camera. In Windows 7 this was done in one step. Then you make note of the photos name. This is what you enter when asked to download a photo. In Windows 7 I only needed to click on it. It was easier to find previously scanned photos too. As you can tell at least for photos I am not happy with it. It might be better for those who use apps or smart phones.

:heart: MNMargaret