WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,103 Member
    Options
    Overslept this morning. We took our DED and DYGS for our nighttime walk round the National Trust estate. The lights were stunning and I doubled my steps for the day. I am caught up with posts but have little time left for comments.

Pip By now you will have Kirby safely back at home and enjoying being together again without all the hospital toing and froing.
    I also can't sleep on my operated side yet. I did it one night and woke up in agony with a trapped nerve, so I will leave it for a while.

Heather Sounds like you are enjoying Montpelier and had a fabulous anniversary. I'd love to see a pic of your glamorous outfit.

DH is champing at the bit, so no more time to comment as I have to get up and get ready to go out with the family.

We got our computer back so: Type to y'all later.

:heart: Healing thoughts and prayers to those who need them! :heart:

:sunglasses: Welcome to our Newbies. Sit a spell! :sunglasses:

:star: Each one of us is a vital cog in an infinite universe. :star:
    We may not know our purpose, but each cog needs to be oiled and tended.

:heart: May peace and joy shine on your day! :heart:

smiley-happy110.gif

Irish Terri harp.gif
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Hi all newbies! :p

DH is hunting this AM; very cool out so the deer will be moving. Let Cracker out and she was at the door very quickly. No real plans for today. DYS comes on Monday - will be so happy to see him, so sad that DDnL#2 is not going to be able to come because 'ex' won't pick DGD#4 up time on Thanksgiving Day for her to even 'drive' the 9 hours it'll take to get here. I still wake up at night and hope she is planning on it; just not telling Will - LOL! One can dream on, I guess, he never let her know until it was too later for her to buy a reasonable priced airline ticket - what a 'piece of art' this man must be. She told him that next year, DGD#4 is definitely coming with her and he could 'stick it' if he did not like it. I don't understand why one (or sometimes even both) parent(s) seem to put the child(ren) in the middle of their issues. DDnL#2 is very protective of her daughter and I think this is about the last straw with her and her 'ex'. "Ex" does things to try to make sue that DGD#4 loves him more than Will. DGD#4 told her mother that she 'knows' she only has one Mama and one Daddy; but, she loved DYS better than she loved 'ex's' wife. GGGRRRrrrrrrrr, I don't even know the man, and I don't like him at all. :'( But, I won't let the fact mess us our Thanksgiving dinner.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I woke up about 4:45 smelling something unpleasant. Hubby briefly woke up and said he locked all three dogs out of the bedroom because they were agitated about something. He didn't smell anything because he had his sleep apnea mask thing on his nose. Well, I turned on the light to investigate and it looked like Bruno had an attack of diarrhea in his crate and then smooshed it all over his bed. So, he was out in the living room like that! He was in the bathtub by 5:00, and now I have to clean up his bed and two couches. Thanks, hubby. He's gone back to sleep like nothing happened.

I'm trying to post on my phone today because I can't get the wifi to work on my phone so I can use my ipad. It looks like verizon has blocked my use of Foxfi again. This is a disaster because both hubby and I depend on the wifi. Hopefully I can figure it out today. I can't type on this tiny keyboard very well. And I'm going blind staring at this tiny screen.

Today hubby is taking me on the Outhouse Tour. I'm so excited! I've wanted to go for years! There is a tiny town, Elk Falls, about 99 miles west of us, that has a special event every year, where they decorate old outhouses and people come from all over to see them and vote on their favorite. It's really silly, and I've heard it's a lot of fun. It's supposed to be cold, rainy and windy today though, but maybe it will be ok. Their local pottery shop has an open house the same day yoo, so we can go to that. In fact, this potter started the outhouse thing himself 20 years ago, and he makes commemorative mugs every year for it.

Growing up our family lived in a few old farm houses that did not have indoor plumbing, so outhouses hold special memories for me. Like those times when my dad and grandpa would tie a rope between the house and outhouse so we could find it in a blizzard. And the time I went out in the middle of the night and was nearly hit by lightning. Not fun when you were living through them, but fun to look back on.

Well, I'm tired of squinting, so I'll just wish you all a wonderful day!

Later, ladies!

Sylvia
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Terri - I'm not in Montpellier yet! 2nd December. :) Last night we were in Winchester. We really enjoyed our meal, but strangely the actual meat was the least interesting and tasty part of the dishes. Lots of lovely and exciting new tastes with it though. I didn't sleep brilliantly, as I never do if I have had a few drinks, but I consider it worth the sacrifice. Insanely expensive taxis, but it's only our anniversary once a year. :D We rarely eat out and never just for convenience. It has to be a special occasion as the food at home is much better than the average restaurant. :laugh: :laugh:

DH is going out to watch football this afternoon. He will be wrapping up well against the cold wind. I will watch my new French film. :love:

Did my exercises this morning despite my body feeling very sluggish. (I wonder why) I reckon I have to stick with my diet for three days to undo last night's damage. That can't be bad.
    I also forced myself to do some writing of my memoir and actually enjoyed it. Good feeling to find my self discipline muscle. I remembered Barbie's mantra, STRATEGY IS STRONGER THAN WILLPOWER and got my Word programme open and ready as soon as my exercising was over and didn't let myself get distracted. Hooray! If only if I could do that every day! :laugh: Procrastination is my middle name. :ohwell:

Barbie - you have been so patient with your pains. :flowerforyou:

Sylvia - yuk! What a job!

Janetr, Katla - Hope your fluey thing gets better soon! <3

Love to all. Pheasant and rabbit stew today. Yummo!

Heather UK
  • fitdancer65
    fitdancer65 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I am a newbie at this site, but not at dieting. I like this site so far. It is generous with exercise points and very motivational. I completed my first day here and it was successful. Tuesday, a week ago, I began a free nutrition class at the library. First thing the instructor did was weigh and measure. My BMI was on the high end of normal. So I began my diet then. Carbs are guaranteed weight gain for me. By reducing them that week, I lost 2 pounds. But didn't even get an attaboy. I was a bit sad. So I asked around and a Facebook friend suggested this site. I will know Tuesday when I weigh in if I lost another pound this week.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,116 Member
    Options
    My DB and DSNL are here so I will read and pop in!

<3

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Barbie
    , glad the tests are over and not too terrible. I do hope they can find a solution to the problems. (((Hugs)))

JanetR, have safe travels and enjoy your Thanksgiving with family.

Michele
    , I hope you all enjoy your concert. I wouldn’t lose any sleep over something a year from now either. Lol It is fun to do things like that with a group.

Elaine, it sounds like a very successful evening spending time with loved ones, enjoying Silver Bells in the City and getting exercise all at the same time. I would count the standing as exercise, too. Good for you!

Irish Terri, I’m guessing you needed a little extra sleep. Good for you on doubling your steps while having fun. Keep up the good work.

Sylvia, first of all, I think you did great posting on your phone. I just can’t do it. The outhouse tour sounds like fun. Are they decorated in fall colors or Christmas or what? It’s nice that you can have fond memories of them. Now, about poor Bruno having an accident in the bedroom. I might be ready to hang DH if he did that. Or at least get him up to help clean up. It’s bad enough when you are wide awake, but to wake up to that in the middle of sleeping. You are such a saint. No wonder I love you. angel.gif

Heather, good for you on not only writing some but enjoying it. I know much of it has some very unpleasant memories but I do hope most of it will be enjoyable to write. Thanks for reminding us of Barbie’s mantra. I need lots of reminding of many of the mantras on here.

Fitdancer65, welcome. Please tell us a bit more about yourself so we can get to know you. We also ask that you sign each post with the name you want to be called along with a location, general or specific. This is a great place for support and information. Most of us look at it as a lifestyle change and not a diet. Diets just don’t work for most of us and we gain back more than we lost. Come often and join right in. At a boy for your loss.

Joyce, what a cute trophy you got for the chili cook off. Too bad you didn’t get to keep it. Ok, the poop transplant is interesting for sure but you have me giggling about counting the little suckers when talking about leaches. I have to say that I am one of those that would use my own coffee in the Keurig regardless of what they say. Of course they want you to buy their expensive little pods. When I did that at my niece’s house the coffee tasted great.

Terri and others in the path of the snow, I’m thinking of you all and praying for your safety. That first snow is always so pretty but this one looks like it could be dangerous on the roads.

m1277.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Those of you that have been here a while know that I’m not much of an exerciser and struggle to do what little I get done. I’m sure not going to spend what a FitBit costs but this morning I did order a fitness tracker from EBay. I may have DH wrap it to put under the tree for Christmas, since we don’t get much for each other anymore. At any rate, it tracks steps, calories burned, sleep, etc., so I’m thinking it might motivate me to move a little more. I’m also curious to see what it tells me about my sleep. You ladies are so motivating even though I know that my motivation must come from within. Thank you all for being who you are.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Morning! First really cold day in GA. 30's 40's
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sylvia: Why would Verison block your wifi? Is that even legal? I hope you get your services restored. It may be time for a different carrier. Sorry about the doggy mess. I love the idea of the outhouse tour. Take pictures! :flowerforyou:

Heather: Pheasant & rabbit stew sounds interesting and potentially yummy. I love hearing about your foods because they are so different from what is available near me. :flowerforyou:

fitdancer: Welcome!

DJ: I hope you get your money's worth out of the fitness tracker. My watch has worked fine for me but I'm not a person who likes gadgets other than my phone and computer. Everyone is different. :flowerforyou:

Margaret: I see you hearts and think of you. I hope things are going okay. :heart:

Today we will drop our dog off at the "Veterinary hotel" and then pack for our trip. We will be travelling to DS and DDIL's home tomorrow and flying with her help the next day. She will be a good travel guide as she has loads of experience and it will also be nice to have extra support with DH's situation. The last time we flew it was horrid. He had symptoms that were a scary and disabling. He hadn't been diagnosed with MS at that point but it was rearing its head. At least we know what we're dealing with now. We bought a cross between a walker and wheelchair for this trip. I think it will be a blessing.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

November Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Becca - I'm the one on the online dating sites. I am VERY cautious! I'm going to meet a guy tonight but we have been talking on the phone for almost a month after chatting online for a couple of weeks. We're going to meet at the mall for frozen yogurt and just talk for a while. It's hard to find places that don't seem to try to rush you out so we figured this would be a safe place to meet that would also give us time to converse.

Heather - I'm glad your dinner was good!

Oh, phooey! My CRS has kicked in. Totally forgot what I was going to say.

Have a great day!

Carol in NC

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    :)Heather, Thank you for the kind words....I so appreciate the mutual support we have for each other. You and I are at opposite ends of the spectrum in regards to our attitudes about food and yet we find so much in common to assist each other. I love hearing about your travel and culinary adventures.

:)fitdancer,welcome, if you are looking for support and encouragement, you have just met a lot of women who will provide that.....are you a dancer?

:)DJ, I don't have a fitbit....just a good quality pedometer that I bought several years ago....the motivation it provides for me is priceless.....I like to meet a goal with steps so I'll get out and walk and do things that I might not normally do, just to get more steps....sometimes after grocery shopping, Jake and I will debate over who takes the cart back in order to get more steps.

:)Katla, I hope your trip is great....last month when Jake flew to Ohio by himself, he arranged for the airline to provide a wheelchair and someone to push it to get him between flights.

:) We have a fire in the wood stove and very few "to do" items on the list so today will be a rest day and a day to eat the leftovers from our delicious meal at Red Lobster yesterday.

t09013.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Katla - Just wanted to pop back to wish you well for your travels. :flowerforyou:
    I expect your DH is a bit apprehensive, like mine often is about flying, but I'm sure it will go swimmingly now you know what you are dealing with. I presume the airline is informed.
    I buy the pheasant and rabbit already chopped, prepared and mixed in a handy polythene packet from my favourite food vendor. I just cook it as I would any normal stew. I don't catch and skin my own game! :laugh:

Barbie - I think the same principle applies in any eating plan, Eat Less, Move More. Most people just eat much too much of bad food. Mindless eating is not good. I relish everything that passes my lips and choose for maximum nutrition and taste. I don't waste calories on just stuffing myself. That sounds a lot like your plan as well. <3 I am thrilled to have maintained my weight for almost two years. :DB)

Love Heather UK
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, this Saturday has started out very socially for me....I met with an old neighbor for coffee and gossip then a friend stopped by the house for a spontaneous chat (and brought me a beautiful calla lily plant that stuns against the paint color in the sun room)....What a lucky person I am!!

Overeating a bit, I am going to have to reign myself in. >:) I feel the itch to overeat as the holiday approaches but am recognizing the signs and will make sure to savor the experience of being with lots of company--not food and of course, log everything no matter what!!!!.

Lots of company in my house does make me a bit anxious--just how I am built. As much as I love the cooking and planning, I would like to enjoy it a little more "in the moment" and not turn to mindlessly eating to quell any nerves I may be feeling. I am giving myself some room and forgiveness ahead of time for any missteps, overdoing it both with the wine and the food, and logging, logging, logging, and oh yeah, jogging, jogging, jogging.

All the best to you lovely ladies as we journey along. Karen from NY
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    morning peeps. we keep tripping the breaker, turned off the wall heater. taking out the fuse from the fireplace, went to 4 different spots 2c if they had it, no luck. put extra blankets on for the night. right now its 57 degrees in the house. put extra clothes on kirby so he doesn't freeze. going to go to home depot to see if they have the fuse, they said they did. hopefully that's the issue and it will start. he helped me pull apart the fireplace to get to it. they said it can look like the fuse is not blown but could be anyway. wish us luck!
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Sylvia - at least he only messed up his bed - that (and dog) can be washed and some sort of air freshener. When my sons were little and sick; I told them to go ahead and throw up in their bed sheets; because they are much easier to wash than get the smell out of the carpet.

I have gone over my last 2 days of 'caloric intake' by a lot. Had pizza. My share is now finished, so tomorrow will be better.

Now ... Thanksgiving will be a whole different horse of another color. Four days of it ... Thursday though Sunday, or maybe something different on Sunday. :#
  • margaretturk
    Options
    Katla thank you. I put the heart to mark how far I have read. We are still waiting on more tests for DH.

I did have a good time on Wednesday. I went to The Russian Museum of Art. We looked at a still life of a Samovar. They used these to heat their water for tea. Then we recreated to painting at a place called Simply Jane. I took pictures but since we switched to Windows 10. I have had a harder time sharing my pictures. I"ll give it another go.

:heart: MN Margaret
  • margaretturk
    Options
    bpfsj6vebq3v.jpg

This is my copy of the painting we looked at.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    @nccarolb A yogurt place sounds good! Also a coffee shop, they WANT you to linger and chat :-) You are a smart cookie, and I hope I didn't come off too harsh. I have seen the worst in online chatting, so good on ya for keeping it real, and listening to your intuition.
    Becca
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I have dropped the dog at the vet hotel and feel as guilty as if I'd abandoned him forever. :cry: I know we have left him in a safe place but the guilt is there anyway. :ohwell: We don't actually leave until tomorrow for DS's house and fly out the next day with DDIL. We are NOT frequent flyers. Sometimes people need to break out of their ruts, though. This is one of those times. It will be an adventure. :flowerforyou: