Gym Pet PEEVES

Options
I usually plug in and tune out to get a good focus on my lifting but there are a few things that drive me NUTSO at the gym...

People who fail to use deoderant, it's very offensive!! Ugghhhh
People who have a conversation in between sets while you are waiting to get on...
People who lift wayyyy too heavy then grunt so loudly you have to look their way to make sure they didn't drop on the floor.
People who have no idea how to lift, go in and pick up the light dumbbells do 3 reps and then walk on the treadmill and watch tv.. REALLY??REALLY??

Makes for a good laugh for me I just smile and keep moving... What are you pet peeves or funny gym stories?

Replies

• Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I really only have two and it's because they both impact me directly.
    1) Not reracking weights, or at the very least, not pulling weights off the barbell. I don't like having to fight with the 45lb rubber plates when I want to do my deadlifts. Just because it's easy for you, doesn't mean the next person coming along can do it.
    2) Too much cologne/perfume. I am very sensitive to scents. I really don't mind smelling sweat and I expect to at a gym. But the people who have a five foot radius of cologne/perfume around them making me lightheaded. Especially annoying since my gym has a scent-free policy.
  • pestopoli
    pestopoli Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    People who do their dumbell reps RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE RACK, so that you have to wait for them to be done to get weights that are directly in front of them, or sort of dart around them like a fly, avoiding head trauma, or shyly ask them to move while they're in the middle of their Very Import Mirror Time. My boss does this at our office gym ALL THE TIME.

After I noticed how annoying that was, I have tried to be really conscious once I get my dumbells that I move a good 5 feet back from the rack.
  • jonlfischer
    jonlfischer Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    This is why I'm glad I workout at my brothers gym(garage) don't have to worry about gym idiots. Although we still rerack all the weights and break down the barbells. Only thing we don't do is break down the leg press. We leave 400lbs on there all the time, we don't like moving the 100lb plates...lol
  • neverquit33
    neverquit33 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    haha! My pet peeve are "the competitors." I would do intervals on the elliptical but minute I start going all out for that 30 seconds, suddenly I see "Mr/Mrs Me too" jumping on the elliptical on the side of me pumping so fast to match my pace. Once they realize I'm doing intervals they get off. The same happens when I'm in the weight room. I lift to only tone, no bodybuilder here but for some reason if I'm doing curls, or squats here comes "competitor" pumping 10 x as fast and double the weight right by me. smh LOL!

My other pet peeve was some ppl in my class wouldn't do the entire move. If the body pump instructor tells us to lower slowly down during a curl this person would just let it drop. Or they would do have a squat instead of a whole one. I thought maybe she was injured and was taking it easy but she wasn't. Every class shortcuts with her. I know its her money she's wasting but ugh, so annoying. Do it right, correct form, or don't do it at all. LOL
  • NoeHead
    NoeHead Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I was in the weight room with my earphones on and music up high then all of a sudden it sounded like a bear had roared. i stopped and slowly looked around along with two other people with big eyes and alarmed look...and there he was. A guy doing deadlifts with apparently more weights than usual. Other gym members and I laughed.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    People who are too focused on what other people are doing at the gym rather than just working out and minding their own business.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I usually plug in and tune out to get a good focus on my lifting but there are a few things that drive me NUTSO at the gym...

People who fail to use deoderant, it's very offensive!! Ugghhhh

I had a woman like that on the elliptical next to me about a month ago. SHE REEKED and as she worked out the scent morphed into something more grotesque. I realized it was her perfume reacting to her body temperature and that this was a CHOICE! Oh My My..
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    People who are too focused on what other people are doing at the gym rather than just working out and minding their own business.

*fist bump* I was fully prepared to come in and be "that guy". You're already in here doin the Lord's work though.
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    Options

I know where you are coming from however some things like hygiene can impair someone else.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    *the people who not only don't use deodorant, but who (i think) never shower or change their clothing. eww eww eww.
    *the backstrokers in the pool - who just swim and don't care if anyone else is swimming in their vicinty.
    *the swimmers who cannot /will not grasp the concept of lanes and laps (swim on your right, damn it! how difficult is that?) and end up swimming back and forth in the same side of the lane so invariably will end up in.your.space.

All the other stuff I can live with - i just stick on my headphones and plug away
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Not wiping down the equipment when you're done with it.
    Taking the weight plates from the rack that I clearly am using without asking if it's ok.
  • DreaMuffin
    DreaMuffin Posts: 63 Member
    Options

that is my BIGGEST pet peeve. *those* people always get the stink eye from moi.
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    People who DON'T wipe the machine off after they use it although the signs are clearly posted. AND people who come straight in after smelling like they smoked about 20 packs of cigs and get right on a machine. The smell is horrible in a close area :grumble:
  • Elphaba91
    Elphaba91 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    1) People using the area at my gym specifically dedicated to their 30 minute "Quickie" circuit workout (involving 8 minutes of elliptical/stepper, 8 minutes of bike 1 minute each on 8 weights machines, 3 minutes of abs and 3 minutes of stretching) to spend 10 minutes on a single weights machine when there are 3 identical machines downstairs.

2) People (especially uber sweaty people) who don't wipe down equipment...seriously, it takes 10 seconds!

3) People who sit at a weights machine doing nothing but blocking other people from using it (particularly when combined with #1).

4) People (or rather one person!) leaving their jacket on a neighbouring piece of equipment.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

that is my BIGGEST pet peeve. *those* people always get the stink eye from moi.

Sometimes I'll say something snarky real loud like 'No, it's ok. I'll wipe down the machine for you."
  • robnfc
    robnfc Posts: 17
    Options
    People asking me to spot and then not returning the favour!!
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    The day you can pick up 500lbs without a sound is the day you can complain about grunters. Until then myob
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Took only 5 responses....not bad.

Why is it when we work out feet, if not inches from other people in a building full of mirrors it must be impossible to notice what other people are doing in same said building in same said close proximity?
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I dont care what other people do at the gym unless it directly effects me. So, not re-racking weights when finished, taking a lifetime to finish on a certain machine and stinky people. Everything else people can pretty much do whatever they want.
  • abbylg1983
    abbylg1983 Posts: 177 Member
    Options

Took only 5 responses....not bad.

Why is it when we work out feet, if not inches from other people in a building full of mirrors it must be impossible to notice what other people are doing in same said building in same said close proximity?

You can notice- but why on earth would you care if some random stranger was lifting at a level you consider unsatisfactory or running at a pace you consider too slow, or not keeping up with all the moves in a classroom setting? These are some "pet peeves" listed here that I find baffling.