Gym Pet PEEVES

Options

Replies

• kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    You would all hate me. I wear makeup and my hair looks descent, I sometimes text when i'm on the elliptical, I talk to people between sets, I grunt and sometimes I smell when I sweat. Hey, I may even do a little shimmy dance between sets if a good song is on my ipod.

I don't mind one bit if i'm someones pet peeve because i'm there for my fitness and not to be your friend. I get a great workout in and i'm not bothering anyone so it's all good

My only pet peeve would be someone filling up a gallon water jug when I just want a little sip :( we have limited drinking fountains at our gym...

Lol, makeup doens't usually bother me, in fact when I go to the gym after work, I go with make up, people need to get over that. Texting, who cares, I smell when I sweat to even though I put on deoderant (not antipersperant). Some people need to get over themselves.

However, if something is effecting my workout then I get upset... a lady having a loud and long conversation with a friend on the phone while in the middle of the weight room... I felt like joining in the conversation!

Reracking weights is not rocket science, it's common decency.

Not wiping down machines, ick!

Other than that, I mostly don't care... I did have a guy ask me out rather creepily, I don't mind being asked out at the gym, but leering me up and down while trying to chat me up, um, no.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    People who are too focused on what other people are doing at the gym rather than just working out and minding their own business.

I know where you are coming from however some things like hygiene can impair someone else.
    Right. For the most part, I don't have pet peeves because I'm focusing on my own workout, but the ones I do have don't involve me being "too focused on what other people are doing at the gym".

[...]

Also smelly people, but sometimes when I'm working out really hard and pouring sweat, I get nervous that I'm one of them. :frown:

Not to pick on you personally because there's like 100 more exactly like this in this thread - but how can you say "I only get annoyed by things that affect my workout" and then in the next breath say "smelly people"?

Someone being stinky doesn't affect you AT ALL.

If I respond to this topic my answer would have been "nothing" but now it's "people who are annoyed by stinky people and/or are hypocritical about it". And no, I do not stink, but seriously how do you know they don't have a medical condition, or are just naturally smelly, or possibly ALLERGIC to deodorant/antiperspirant? By husband is allergic to antiperspirant and can't wear it. Should they not be allowed to work out because of that? And IMO it's way better to smell BO than to be inundated with disgusting perfume, much of which people are allergic to.

Personally I don't find anything wrong with body odor. It's NATURAL. In fact, deodorant didn't become mainstream till mid 20th century, and when it first came out (late 19th century) it could slough your skin off if you weren't one of the lucky ones.

Seriously if they smell SO BAD just move away! Grrr... yes people being snobby about BO is a huge pet peeve of mine... LOL.
    First, I know you said this wasn't directed at me personally, but I'll respond since you quoted me and mentioned my statement in the first part of your post.

I never said "I only get annoyed by things that affect my workout." I said that for the most part I don't have pet peeves because I don't really notice other people in the gym. Things like people using machines wrong or "barely putting in effort" (as it's perceived) don't bother me because I don't even notice them.

Obviously people are going to get sweaty and smelly at the gym. It happens. That's expected and fine. What I was referring to was when people smell so bad that just being in the same area as them makes you want to throw up. This actually does affect me. I suffer from chronic migraines/chronic daily headache so I'm very sensitive to smells. Regular smells are fine, but when it gets over the top, that can trigger a migraine. Forgive me if I've offended you, but I don't really feel like going to the ER with a severe migraine because someone at the gym doesn't know how to shower.

I can't always "just move away" either. I go to the local fitness center so it's VERY small. The machines are crammed in with barely any room to walk around. I've had to put my feet in the 1 foot space between treadmills to do push-ups and hope that my arms didn't get too wide to hit the person doing sit-ups next to me.

That's why smells at the gym bother me.
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    people that don't wipe off machines when they are done. Nothing grosses me out more than an elliptical with dried up sweat streaks on it. Even more so when the sweat is still 'fresh'. Gross.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Grunting and dropping weights....is it necessary??? UM...No.

That's a joke, right?

No, I'm serious...and its annoying...
    Let's see you deadlift 400+lbs without making a noise.

I can only lift half of 400- but my trainer cheers me on when I grunt- and rates my pools of sweat on the floor based on their size and depth- don't worry- I clean em' up. .
    I like you.
  • elvensnow
    elvensnow Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    People who are too focused on what other people are doing at the gym rather than just working out and minding their own business.

I know where you are coming from however some things like hygiene can impair someone else.
    Right. For the most part, I don't have pet peeves because I'm focusing on my own workout, but the ones I do have don't involve me being "too focused on what other people are doing at the gym".

[...]

Also smelly people, but sometimes when I'm working out really hard and pouring sweat, I get nervous that I'm one of them. :frown:

Not to pick on you personally because there's like 100 more exactly like this in this thread - but how can you say "I only get annoyed by things that affect my workout" and then in the next breath say "smelly people"?

If I respond to this topic my answer would have been "nothing" but now it's "people who are annoyed by stinky people and/or are hypocritical about it". And no, I do not stink, but seriously how do you know they don't have a medical condition, or are just naturally smelly, or possibly ALLERGIC to deodorant/antiperspirant? By husband is allergic to antiperspirant and can't wear it. Should they not be allowed to work out because of that? And IMO it's way better to smell BO than to be inundated with disgusting perfume, much of which people are allergic to.

Personally I don't find anything wrong with body odor. It's NATURAL. In fact, deodorant didn't become mainstream till mid 20th century, and when it first came out (late 19th century) it could slough your skin off if you weren't one of the lucky ones.

Seriously if they smell SO BAD just move away! Grrr... yes people being snobby about BO is a huge pet peeve of mine... LOL.
    First, I know you said this wasn't directed at me personally, but I'll respond since you quoted me and mentioned my statement in the first part of your post. I never said "I only get annoyed by things that affect my workout." I said that for the most part I don't have pet peeves because I don't really notice other people in the gym. Things like people using machines wrong or "barely putting in effort" (as it's perceived) don't bother me because I don't even notice them.

Obviously people are going to get sweaty and smelly at the gym. It happens. That's expected and fine. What I was referring to was when people smell so bad that just being in the same area as them makes you want to throw up. This actually does affect me. I suffer from chronic migraines/chronic daily headache so I'm very sensitive to smells. Regular smells are fine, but when it gets over the top, that can trigger a migraine. Forgive me if I've offended you, but I don't really feel like going to the ER because someone at the gym doesn't know how to shower.

I can't always "just move away" either. I go to the local fitness center so it's VERY small. The machines are crammed in with barely any room to walk around. I've had to put my feet in the 1 foot space between treadmills to do push-ups and hope that my arms didn't get too wide to hit the person doing sit-ups next to me.

No you didn't offend me. It's just so many people on here that list "smelliness" as a pet peeve that I got frustrated lol. And you're right, you didn't directly say that, but other people did, so I lumped you in, sorry :)

But see you mentioned you have a medical condition that would make you sensitive to smells. That sucks. But my point is that maybe THEY have a medical condition that makes them smell, no matter what they do about it. And really, it's much more likely that some people are just stinky and can't help it, that they would be stinky IN A GYM WHERE YOU SWEAT, than to run into the <0.01% if the population that has your same condition.

Not to offend you either, but if smelliness is such a trigger for you, maybe try getting some home gym stuff together. Just to me it makes more sense that way since people are GOING to stink at the gym. It's natural human physiology.

Personally I find perfumes to be more offensive to the senses than BO :3
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: For the love of humanity!!!!! PLEASE stop Putting that treadmill on a ridiculous incline only to hold on to the display and or bars for dear life because its just too much for you to handle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In defense of the people with their hands on the bar... I'm a huge klutz when walking on level, non-moving ground, I often hang on with one hand there just to keep in mind where the edge is because veering to the side a bit could be more than a little embarrassing.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options

[...]

First, I know you said this wasn't directed at me personally, but I'll respond since you quoted me and mentioned my statement in the first part of your post. I never said "I only get annoyed by things that affect my workout." I said that for the most part I don't have pet peeves because I don't really notice other people in the gym. Things like people using machines wrong or "barely putting in effort" (as it's perceived) don't bother me because I don't even notice them.

Obviously people are going to get sweaty and smelly at the gym. It happens. That's expected and fine. What I was referring to was when people smell so bad that just being in the same area as them makes you want to throw up. This actually does affect me. I suffer from chronic migraines/chronic daily headache so I'm very sensitive to smells. Regular smells are fine, but when it gets over the top, that can trigger a migraine. Forgive me if I've offended you, but I don't really feel like going to the ER because someone at the gym doesn't know how to shower.

No you didn't offend me. It's just so many people on here that list "smelliness" as a pet peeve that I got frustrated lol. And you're right, you didn't directly say that, but other people did, so I lumped you in, sorry :)

But see you mentioned you have a medical condition that would make you sensitive to smells. That sucks. But my point is that maybe THEY have a medical condition that makes them smell, no matter what they do about it. And really, it's much more likely that some people are just stinky and can't help it, that they would be stinky IN A GYM WHERE YOU SWEAT, than to run into the <0.01% if the population that has your same condition.

Not to offend you either, but if smelliness is such a trigger for you, maybe try getting some home gym stuff together. Just to me it makes more sense that way since people are GOING to stink at the gym. It's natural human physiology.

Personally I find perfumes to be more offensive to the senses than BO :3
    Oh right. I completely understand, and I can give a 99.9% guarantee that not everyone that complains of smells has the same problem that I do so I can understand your frustration with that.

I think the reason it bothers so many people is the fact that you can be minding your own business, and the smell still gets in and makes you want to drop the weights and ralph everywhere. :laugh:

I've thought about getting my own equipment to work out at home mainly for that reason, but I can't afford it. I can barely afford bills so it's cheaper for me to pay a few bucks a month to go to the fitness center. :ohwell:

And I agree about perfumes. Those are much worse, especially for me as a trigger, than BO.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    There's bound to be good gifs in this thread!:drinker:
  • Chrisbruce
    Options
    1. Grunting guys
    2. Mirror checking girls
    3. I am a gym god attitude
  • highmaintnance
    highmaintnance Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    It scares the bejeesus out of me every time someone just drops the weights. I don't even mean free weights, I'm talking about the machine weights. I don't know if it's necessary or if there's a purpose. I mean, I work out at the YMCA, not too many people doing heavy lifting there. I don't give dirty looks but I do give a nice little yelp and then a blush because people are then looking at me. I don't know if I would consider it a pet peeve just really startling.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    It scares the bejeesus out of me every time someone just drops the weights. I don't even mean free weights, I'm talking about the machine weights. I don't know if it's necessary or if there's a purpose. I mean, I work out at the YMCA, not too many people doing heavy lifting there. I don't give dirty looks but I do give a nice little yelp and then a blush because people are then looking at me. I don't know if I would consider it a pet peeve just really startling.

The Y I work out has some pretty good free weights, large group of peacocks and actual bodybuilders that work out of there. Then again, the Y here is completely unlike any Y I've ever seen in my life. It's so well appointed here.
  • MooseKnuckle5
    Options
    Re-recking the weights properly! Drives me bonkers having to search for certain plates or having to move 8 10lb plates to even get to the 45lb plates. Would others appreciate me leaving the leg press machine racked full of 45's? No!
  • highmaintnance
    highmaintnance Posts: 215 Member
    Options

The Y I work out has some pretty good free weights, large group of peacocks and actual bodybuilders that work out of there. Then again, the Y here is completely unlike any Y I've ever seen in my life. It's so well appointed here.

I have not seen any bodybuilder types at mine. Mainly middle aged parents doing enough to keep away the beer and wine guts and senior citizens. We have some more serious weight lifters but they go to the weight room with the free weights not the weight machines in the cardio room. That's why it scares the crap out of me when I hear weights drop. I'm just not expecting it.
  • BurningAway
    BurningAway Posts: 279
    Options
    The day you can pick up 500lbs without a sound is the day you can complain about grunters. Until then myob

This.

Seriously, i cant believe people expect it to be quiet and not smelly in a gym come ON. Also the deoderant thing how on earth do you know they arent wearing deoderant? They are working out, its hard ****ing work, deoderant is a temporary solution.
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Seriously, i cant believe people expect it to be quiet and not smelly in a gym come ON. Also the deoderant thing how on earth do you know they arent wearing deoderant? They are working out, its hard ****ing work, deoderant is a temporary solution.

Not to mention that deodorant is basically a heat activated perfume... so, is it "No Perfume" or "Yes Deodorant" for these people?
  • ced1389
    ced1389 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    There is a very nice gentleman who goes to my gym, works very hard, minds his own business, and stays out of everybody's way. HOWEVER, as he's wandering around the gym doing whatever, he is SINGING at the top of his lungs!!!! At first, I found it humorous because he doesn't have the greatest voice. But then I got very annoyed that I always had to have my music blaring just to drown it out.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: For the love of humanity!!!!! PLEASE stop Putting that treadmill on a ridiculous incline only to hold on to the display and or bars for dear life because its just too much for you to handle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In defense of the people with their hands on the bar... I'm a huge klutz when walking on level, non-moving ground, I often hang on with one hand there just to keep in mind where the edge is because veering to the side a bit could be more than a little embarrassing.

All good broski....Im talking about the people who walk perfectly on the treadmill when its flat. But then get this brilliant idea that cranking it up at a ridiculousheight and then holding on for dear life is giving them a workout!!
    Dont hold on!!!!!!! Let them legs WORK!
    PUT SOME EFFORT!!!!!:drinker:

tHAT is all carry on
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    The only thing that bothers me is anything that impacts me directly. I don't worry about what other people are doing, as it might look absolutely ridiculous to me, but for whatever reason it works great for them. You never know another person's story.

The things that bother me have already been stated in other posts. Cologne, perfume, rudeness...etc.

Oh yeah, please wipe your drippy nasty sweat off the machines...etc, after you're done!! :sick:
  • gsmithnp
    gsmithnp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    1. The cost.
    2. The time spent driving to and from. (I have limited time for working out, and live 30 minutes from nearest gym. I don't have an hour to spend just driving).
    3. The cost.

Of course, that's why I no longer have a membership and have assembled a home gym. I realize not everyone has this option, but it works for me. So I guess my only pet peeves are the cat giving me funny looks while I lift, and the fact that if I skip a workout the equipment mocks me.

In all seriousness, when I did go to a public gym my pet peeves were the same as those outside the gym:
    1.People not cleaning up after themselves (ever get a grocery cart with trash in the bottom? Seriously?). At the gym this would include picking up water bottles and towels, wiping down equipment, putting weights back where they belong, and generally not leaving a trail behind you.
    2. People being in the way of other people (standing in an aisle, walking very slowly in the middle of the road--I realize you might not be willing/able to walk faster, but at least move to the side to allow faster traffic to pass). At the gym this wound include not sitting on equipment if you are not actively using it, standing so close to others that they cannot do their workout, hogging equipment. At least don't get peeved if you are asked to move.
    3. Creepy people trying to make conversation/ask me out/whatever. 'Nuff said.
    4. Parents not controlling their kids in public. I don't care if you let them swing from the ceiling fan at home, but I'd really like to avoid running them over with my cart or hitting them with a dumbbell (inadvertently of course).

I really don't care how a person dresses or wears their hair (I might say either eww or giggle to myself, but it doesn't affect me in any way so I carry on with my life). Wear full-on movie-set makeup and a string bikini to the gym if it makes you happy. Walk on the treadmill however fast or slow you want so long as there isn't a line forming behind you of people with torches and pitchforks.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I hate hate hate it when people don't rerack their weights. I can never tell if someone is resting between sets or if the bench has been abandoned and that person just happens to be standing next to it.