Gym Pet PEEVES

Options

Replies

• 2vayla
    2vayla Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Grunting and dropping weights....is it necessary??? UM...No.

That's a joke, right?

No, I'm serious...and its annoying...
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

That's a joke, right?

Let's see you deadlift 400+lbs without making a noise.
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options

Yeah....I'm not quiet when I'm squatting 230. And I don't give a rip what other people think about it either.
  • 2vayla
    2vayla Posts: 26 Member
    Options

That's a joke, right?

Well I suppose I'll work on it and get back to you...I thought I was entitled to my own opinion...I thought this post was gym pet peeves...its a pet peeve for me...no offense...but I wont apologize either.
  • fanakar
    fanakar Posts: 23
    Options
    1. People that use the toilet and leave their sanitary napkins strewn around the restroom stall or leave splashes of urine on the toilet seat and floor because they are too high and mighty to let their cheeks touch the seat and like to hover instead. And when people leave doodoo streaks on the toilets/walls.

2. People leaving trash on the treadmills.

3. People that don't want to be bothered with headphones so they use their phones/MP3 player like it's a surround sound system and everybody wants to hear what they are listening to.

4. People that think they are above the rules of the gym. There are signs in our gym that clearly state where the area for personal training is. It is free to use unless a trainer comes in with a client. You must vacate the premises if that happens, but people still feel like they can encroach upon the time that you spent money on and monopolize the space and equipment you paid to use with your trainer.

5. And I don't like when people fart next to me either. Go to the bathroom, take a dump and come back when you're ready to work out without making the place smell like a sewer.
  • dadoffo
    dadoffo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    People who stays on the machine and start looking at their smartphone either texting or surfing the web. They might be in between sets but if they are going to take a few minutes they might as well get out and let someone use it. I've seen someone using their IPAD in between sets.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Yeah....I'm not quiet when I'm squatting 230. And I don't give a rip what other people think about it either.

I tend to "give a rip" when I squat heavy ...
  • lilgia
    lilgia Posts: 4
    Options
    This topic makes me really sad. The only thing this is seeming to do is to make people feel more self conscious at the gym. I have had more friends than random people at the gym judge me for wearing cute work out clothes. Yes I want to wear bright pink pants and rainbow shoes, and a bow to hold my hair back. It makes ME feel more motivated and look forward to working out. I'm not doing it for you.

With the scent thing a lot of people cannot smell themselves. So if they just came from work and are wearing perfume/cologne they might not notice. Some people are more stinky/sweaty than others. It's a gym not a fine restaurant. You are supposed to get sweaty!

The only thing that would annoy would be not cleaning the machine or basic taking care of the area around you. That is the only thing on this forum that will personally effect you!
  • wendyking1979
    wendyking1979 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    These type of posts are exactly why I am afraid to start resistance training. I have no idea what I'm doing, and even if I try, I'll have some of you people waiting to crucify me for doing it wrong. Mind your own business, or step in and help someone who obviously needs it.
    A lot of people get crucified, as you put it, for stepping in to offer help if someone didn't ask. Don't be scared. I was afraid of the gym rats when I started, but I learned to focus on my workout and don't usually notice who else is even there. If you don't know how to do something, just ask someone. People won't judge you for asking for help like they might for doing something wrong. :flowerforyou:

Thank you Crista. :bigsmile:
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options

I tend to "give a rip" when I squat heavy ...

Ha! Well you'd better be careful, some people get offended by gym farters.
  • tmccarter11
    Options
    People who stays on the machine and start looking at their smartphone either texting or surfing the web. They might be in between sets but if they are going to take a few minutes they might as well get out and let someone use it. I've seen someone using their IPAD in between sets.

I was just about to put this one down. I thought the gym was for working out, not being on your phone the entire time.

Number 2 is when I am in a small hot sauna with you and your music is turned up so loud in your headphones i could hear you from outside the door. That's not necessary. You can't possibly be that deaf.
  • elvensnow
    elvensnow Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    People who are too focused on what other people are doing at the gym rather than just working out and minding their own business.

I know where you are coming from however some things like hygiene can impair someone else.
    Right. For the most part, I don't have pet peeves because I'm focusing on my own workout, but the ones I do have don't involve me being "too focused on what other people are doing at the gym".

[...]

Also smelly people, but sometimes when I'm working out really hard and pouring sweat, I get nervous that I'm one of them. :frown:

Not to pick on you personally because there's like 100 more exactly like this in this thread - but how can you say "I only get annoyed by things that affect my workout" and then in the next breath say "smelly people"?

Someone being stinky doesn't affect you AT ALL.

If I respond to this topic my answer would have been "nothing" but now it's "people who are annoyed by stinky people and/or are hypocritical about it". And no, I do not stink, but seriously how do you know they don't have a medical condition, or are just naturally smelly, or possibly ALLERGIC to deodorant/antiperspirant? By husband is allergic to antiperspirant and can't wear it. Should they not be allowed to work out because of that? And IMO it's way better to smell BO than to be inundated with disgusting perfume, much of which people are allergic to.

Personally I don't find anything wrong with body odor. It's NATURAL. In fact, deodorant didn't become mainstream till mid 20th century, and when it first came out (late 19th century) it could slough your skin off if you weren't one of the lucky ones.

Seriously if they smell SO BAD just move away! Grrr... yes people being snobby about BO is a huge pet peeve of mine... LOL.
  • JamieM8168
    JamieM8168 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    You would all hate me. I wear makeup and my hair looks descent, I sometimes text when i'm on the elliptical, I talk to people between sets, I grunt and sometimes I smell when I sweat. Hey, I may even do a little shimmy dance between sets if a good song is on my ipod.

I don't mind one bit if i'm someones pet peeve because i'm there for my fitness and not to be your friend. I get a great workout in and i'm not bothering anyone so it's all good

My only pet peeve would be someone filling up a gallon water jug when I just want a little sip :( we have limited drinking fountains at our gym...
  • jacklis
    jacklis Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    People who are too focused on what other people are doing at the gym rather than just working out and minding their own business.

Took only 5 responses....not bad.

Why is it when we work out feet, if not inches from other people in a building full of mirrors it must be impossible to notice what other people are doing in same said building in same said close proximity?

You can notice- but why on earth would you care if some random stranger was lifting at a level you consider unsatisfactory or running at a pace you consider too slow, or not keeping up with all the moves in a classroom setting? These are some "pet peeves" listed here that I find baffling.

I find these responses funny. I read these posts, knowing full well that there will be someone (or many) people saying "mind your own business". I can't help but think- if you are so darned focused and know how to ignore stuff- why do you read these posts that so clearly talk about something that you don't like?
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    *the people who not only don't use deodorant, but who (i think) never shower or change their clothing. eww eww eww.
    *the backstrokers in the pool - who just swim and don't care if anyone else is swimming in their vicinty.
    *the swimmers who cannot /will not grasp the concept of lanes and laps (swim on your right, damn it! how difficult is that?) and end up swimming back and forth in the same side of the lane so invariably will end up in.your.space.

All the other stuff I can live with - i just stick on my headphones and plug away

ugh! I HATE sharing a lane - 99% of people don't know how to properly share a lane (even the ones that know how to circle swim have issues with passing/not getting out of the way at the wall/not understanding that if they are going much slower they need to get out of the way if someone touches their feet :explode:

and even if someone knows how to share a lane it just doesn't work very well if you are not doing the same sets

I try to hit the pool during a quiet time so I don't have to share a lane :happy:

also nothing wrong with backstroke if you know what you are doing :wink:

This--I'm not a very experienced lap swimmer and I pretty much will refuse to share a lane because I know I'm just going to piss off the person I'm sharing it with.

lol to be fair, it does drive me nuts and I feel like I have to stop and start more than I like to - but I am still going to smile at the person and not be all ragey because hey, it's a public pool :) and you have just as much right to the lane as I do :)

I still try to go when there is no one else there though ;)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I usually plug in and tune out to get a good focus on my lifting but there are a few things that drive me NUTSO at the gym...

People who fail to use deoderant, it's very offensive!! Ugghhhh
    People who have a conversation in between sets while you are waiting to get on...
    People who lift wayyyy too heavy then grunt so loudly you have to look their way to make sure they didn't drop on the floor.
    People who have no idea how to lift, go in and pick up the light dumbbells do 3 reps and then walk on the treadmill and watch tv.. REALLY??REALLY??

Makes for a good laugh for me I just smile and keep moving... What are you pet peeves or funny gym stories?

Really? This **** again?

Here's one, threads that ***** about what other people do.
    Another.
    When I'm working out and a couple guys are making fun of the dude with Down's Syndrome who is utterly kicking *kitten* in his workout. Those guys especially piss me off when they act butthurt when I call them on their crap. They do get bonus points, because they showed up at the gym, but lose those points because they were "working out" like the tv treadmill crowd.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Sometimes it is. You could go to planetfitness though. :) They won't judge you. :)
  • abbylg1983
    abbylg1983 Posts: 177 Member
    Options

Took only 5 responses....not bad.

Why is it when we work out feet, if not inches from other people in a building full of mirrors it must be impossible to notice what other people are doing in same said building in same said close proximity?

You can notice- but why on earth would you care if some random stranger was lifting at a level you consider unsatisfactory or running at a pace you consider too slow, or not keeping up with all the moves in a classroom setting? These are some "pet peeves" listed here that I find baffling.

I find these responses funny. I read these posts, knowing full well that there will be someone (or many) people saying "mind your own business". I can't help but think- if you are so darned focused and know how to ignore stuff- why do you read these posts that so clearly talk about something that you don't like?

Because, as I said, I am baffled by some of the responses. There's a big difference between being annoyed that you have to wait for a machine while someone sits on playing with their phone and not exercising, and being annoyed because someone is not running or lifting to your standards. One is wasting your time and being rude, the other has zero effect on you. I don't understand being upset by the latter.
  • jacklis
    jacklis Posts: 280 Member
    Options

That's a joke, right?

I can only lift half of 400- but my trainer cheers me on when I grunt- and rates my pools of sweat on the floor based on their size and depth- don't worry- I clean em' up. .
  • annebaum41912
    annebaum41912 Posts: 87 Member
    Options

lol this. I agree! We are human, we are not perfect. I don't think people can always control what they are thinking. If they say something rude or do something rude (to the person offending them) they can control that. But sometimes things just offend you, even if they don't offend someone else. Isn't this a thread for letting off steam about something that bothers you instead of pissing off "that person" at the gym? I don't think acting high and mighty that you NEVER judge people at the gym (or anywhere else) is much nicer.
    Just my opinion anyway. I'm sure someone will disagree lol