Personal Trainer & Weight Management Certified here to help!

Options

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I guess it may sometimes be seen as bragging?? "I eat all the junk I can fit into my calories". Obviously not in those exact words, but that is how it sometimes comes across.
    Possibly. I get people that comment all the time that they can't believe I can eat pizza, fast food, and processed foods and not gain. But, then again they are only hearing about the junk food and not the other 80% of the time of nutritious eating.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I think one of the challenges is you're a active in shape individual that burns a bunch of calories. You or someone like yourself can get proper nutrition (your macros and micros) eating 80% nutritious. For someone on a lower calorie diet, it's going to be much more difficult to get needed nutrition if 20% of say 1500 calories come from candy, cakes, chips, ice cream, etc.

Well I can hit my macro requirements in 1200 calories if I chose to. Leaving the 20% (300 calories) for chips (85 cals), Ice cream (90 cals), cookies (72 cals) because I choose the ones I like (eg Walkers pops / Quavers - Solero / Fab, McVities Rich Tea)

And it's not like the less nutritiously rich foods you mention don't help with hitting macros too

But it's about choice - there's no reason why people can't manage it - even if it's difficult - if they choose to / if it's important to their wellbeing

Sure nutritionally less dense foods help to meet macros, but if someone is working under a fairly strict calorie budget, getting too many less nutritionally dense foods in the diet will be an issue.

I ate at 1200 for quite a while before I really upped my activity level. I had no problem fitting in a 150-200 calorie treat while still eating a nutritionally dense diet.

This argument gets brought up all the time, and it's silly. Low-fat protein sources, fresh veggies, berries? They're not that calorie dense.

I'm not sure what your point is, frankly. If the argument is that someone can fit a small percentage of less nutritionally dense foods in, what's your point about "too many less nutritionally dense foods" about? No one is saying to do that.

(Yeah, I guess I'm not staying out of this one.)
    The point appears to be that some people on restricted diets have to be careful about calorie-dense food, therefore... yeah, I don't know.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I guess it may sometimes be seen as bragging?? "I eat all the junk I can fit into my calories". Obviously not in those exact words, but that is how it sometimes comes across.
    Possibly. I get people that comment all the time that they can't believe I can eat pizza, fast food, and processed foods and not gain. But, then again they are only hearing about the junk food and not the other 80% of the time of nutritious eating.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I think one of the challenges is you're a active in shape individual that burns a bunch of calories. You or someone like yourself can get proper nutrition (your macros and micros) eating 80% nutritious. For someone on a lower calorie diet, it's going to be much more difficult to get needed nutrition if 20% of say 1500 calories come from candy, cakes, chips, ice cream, etc.
    That'd be 1200 calories to use on nutritious food and I believe if someone is committed to it, that wouldn't be that hard to fulfill. Supplementation is also an option to help if micronutrients may be lacking.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

My point is the more someone restricts their caloric intake the more difficult it is to get adequate nutrition if the diet consists of a high % of non-nutrient dense foods.

But that is not what anyone is saying. People are saying to fit in a non-nutrient dense item after you've hit your nutrition goals. On 1200 cals, that may be more difficult. Even if people are on 1200 cals, they should be eating back exercise calories, and so that makes the totals go up and makes fitting in those discretionary calories easier.

I don't understand why this is an argument day in and day out, or why others feel the need to tell everyone that they have to avoid these treats simply because some people have lower calorie alotments, or aren't smart enough to know that they should be focusing on nutrition first and discretionary calories second. If people aren't smart enough to know that they should be eating a variety of nutritious foods, then I really don't know how this discussion amongst those of us who DO know that is going to help them...

My mother always made me eat dinner before I was allowed to have dessert. I still abide by that policy.

I agree with every word you said. As someone who used to have a low calorie allotment, I can speak to the fact that you can still have discretionary calories depending on your choices for your nutritious foods. Vegetables and lean/low fat sources of protein don't have many calories.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Well I can hit my macro requirements in 1200 calories if I chose to. Leaving the 20% (300 calories) for chips (85 cals), Ice cream (90 cals), cookies (72 cals) because I choose the ones I like (eg Walkers pops / Quavers - Solero / Fab, McVities Rich Tea)

And it's not like the less nutritiously rich foods you mention don't help with hitting macros too

But it's about choice - there's no reason why people can't manage it - even if it's difficult - if they choose to / if it's important to their wellbeing

Sure nutritionally less dense foods help to meet macros, but if someone is working under a fairly strict calorie budget, getting too many less nutritionally dense foods in the diet will be an issue.

I ate at 1200 for quite a while before I really upped my activity level. I had no problem fitting in a 150-200 calorie treat while still eating a nutritionally dense diet.

This argument gets brought up all the time, and it's silly. Low-fat protein sources, fresh veggies, berries? They're not that calorie dense.

I'm not sure what your point is, frankly. If the argument is that someone can fit a small percentage of less nutritionally dense foods in, what's your point about "too many less nutritionally dense foods" about? No one is saying to do that.

(Yeah, I guess I'm not staying out of this one.)
    The point appears to be that some people on restricted diets have to be careful about calorie-dense food, therefore... yeah, I don't know.

Right. I don't understand what there is to argue about. People with a smaller calorie budget have to be more careful with how they spend those calories. Doesn't mean they can't save up and have a big splurge once in a while, or a small splurge on a more regular basis.

Does anyone actually think that people are recommending otherwise?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    One benefit though...it leads to those humorously ridiculous comparisons of extremes where people argue 1500 calories of broccoli is healthier than 1500 calories of doughnuts. (It isn't.)

I have not read all (or even much) of this thread, but I am genuinely curious about this statement. Putting weight loss aside, is it not absolutely true that 150 calories of broccoli is healthier than 1500 calories of doughnuts?

(Secretly hoping they are exactly the same from a nutrition/health perspective so that I can go back to eating doughnuts.)

They are both very unhealthy. Neither has much protein, the donut is severely lacking in micronutrients, the broccoli has no fats and also limited micronutrients (although more than the donuts). Neither is the well rounded diet that humans need to thrive.

And why is it always broccoli? There are so many other vegetables that could be, and should be brought up, if we're going to compare a vegetable to a food that some people consider nutritionally unsound. Broccoli isn't even all that nutritionally viable. It's fibrous, to be sure, and pretty darn gas-producing. Why don't we discuss the nutritional merits of the sweet potato? Or kale? Or carrots? It amazes me that time and again, when a vegetable and a carb/fat food like donuts or cookies are compared, the veg is always broccoli. For pete's sake.
  • sparky00721
    sparky00721 Posts: 113 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

I have not read all (or even much) of this thread, but I am genuinely curious about this statement. Putting weight loss aside, is it not absolutely true that 150 calories of broccoli is healthier than 1500 calories of doughnuts?

(Secretly hoping they are exactly the same from a nutrition/health perspective so that I can go back to eating doughnuts.)

No, it isn't absolutely true.

ETA: Maybe I'm being thrown off by mangled nested quotes, I don't know.

Thanks for responding Deguello Tex. It may not have been clear from my post, and perhaps I was misunderstanding the earlier poster. I thought someone was saying that it was humorously ridiculous to say that 1500 calories of broccoli is healthier than 1500 calories of doughnuts. If that was what was being said, I don't understand how that can be.

1500 calories of broccoli (that's a lot of broccoli): 100% RDA of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Iron and 150 grams protein, plus 100 g fibre.

1500 calories of yummy doughnuts: 0% RDA of Vitamin A, Vitamin C and only 30% of calcium, plus 0% fibre.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

Thanks for responding Deguello Tex. It may not have been clear from my post, and perhaps I was misunderstanding the earlier poster. I thought someone was saying that it was humorously ridiculous to say that 1500 calories of broccoli is healthier than 1500 calories of doughnuts. If that was what was being said, I don't understand how that can be.

1500 calories of broccoli (that's a lot of broccoli): 100% RDA of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Iron and 150 grams protein, plus 100 g fibre.

1500 calories of yummy doughnuts: 0% RDA of Vitamin A, Vitamin C and only 30% of calcium, plus 0% fibre.
    And if you've already met your goals for those micros and macros, why is yet another 1500 calories of broccoli better than 1500 calories of donuts (presuming you have 1500 calories within your goal)?

• sparky00721
    Options

You can't measure the health of an individual food in a vacuum. It is all about the context of your overall diet.

Besides, do you actually think that eating 1500 calories of broccoli would be a) possible and b) pleasant? Especially for those around you?

Ok - I have to stop, I hate the strawman argument and can't even believe I've responded this much!

Agreed about unhelpfulness of a vacuum, and I understand the importance of the context of the whole diet. And no, I do not think that actually eating that much broccoli would be either possible or pleasant for me.

I was just trying to understand why is it humorously ridiculous to say broccoli is not healthier than doughnuts. Healthier at the very least in the sense of providing more micronutrients and more fibre.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

No, it isn't absolutely true.

ETA: Maybe I'm being thrown off by mangled nested quotes, I don't know.

The doughnuts are also going to give you a lot of iron, some of the protein, and fat (which the broccoli will pretty much lack).

The point is that you can't look at those calories in a vaccuum. If I've already eaten a lot of green vegetables in a given period, the doughnut may be a better choice for what I need (probably not 1,500 calories worth though).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

You can't measure the health of an individual food in a vacuum. It is all about the context of your overall diet.

Besides, do you actually think that eating 1500 calories of broccoli would be a) possible and b) pleasant? Especially for those around you?

Ok - I have to stop, I hate the strawman argument and can't even believe I've responded this much!

Agreed about unhelpfulness of a vacuum, and I understand the importance of the context of the whole diet. And no, I do not think that actually eating that much broccoli would be either possible or pleasant for me.

I was just trying to understand why is it humorously ridiculous to say broccoli is not healthier than doughnuts. Healthier at the very least in the sense of providing more micronutrients and more fibre.

Because there is no reason to rank food. All food can be part of a solid diet.

If you want delicious and nutrious then your better off with a quest pumpkin muffin. It will be all of those items by a lot.
  • sparky00721
    Options
    One benefit though...it leads to those humorously ridiculous comparisons of extremes where people argue 1500 calories of broccoli is healthier than 1500 calories of doughnuts. (It isn't.)

They are both very unhealthy. Neither has much protein, the donut is severely lacking in micronutrients, the broccoli has no fats and also limited micronutrients (although more than the donuts). Neither is the well rounded diet that humans need to thrive.

Actually I understand your first sentence even less than I understand the "humorously ridiculous" statement raised in my earlier posts. Clearly an all broccoli diet would be absurd. I have not read the whole thread, but I would be very surprised if anyone were suggesting that. I certainly was not, just exploring the statement that appeared to suggest that broccoli is not healthier than doughnuts.

I have never come across any site that has suggested that broccoli is "very unhealthy". It is clearly not complete, but "very unhealthy"?
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

And why is it always broccoli? There are so many other vegetables that could be, and should be brought up, if we're going to compare a vegetable to a food that some people consider nutritionally unsound. Broccoli isn't even all that nutritionally viable. It's fibrous, to be sure, and pretty darn gas-producing. Why don't we discuss the nutritional merits of the sweet potato? Or kale? Or carrots? It amazes me that time and again, when a vegetable and a carb/fat food like donuts or cookies are compared, the veg is always broccoli. For pete's sake.

Don't you be dissin' broccoli! I love me some broccoli!

56214953.jpg
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Actually I understand your first sentence even less than I understand the "humorously ridiculous" statement raised in my earlier posts. Clearly an all broccoli diet would be absurd. I have not read the whole thread, but I would be very surprised if anyone were suggesting that. I certainly was not, just exploring the statement that appeared to suggest that broccoli is not healthier than doughnuts.

I have never come across any site that has suggested that broccoli is "very unhealthy". It is clearly not complete, but "very unhealthy"?

Again, you fail to consider context. A diet consisting entirely of broccoli would be unhealthy. A diet consisting entirely of doughnuts would be unhealthy. Either of them, in the appropriate context and dosage, are perfectly healthy.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Don't you be dissin' broccoli! I love me some broccoli!

56214953.jpg

Have you ever roasted it? I'm lucky that it's so low in calories because I can eat an entire bag of roasted broccoli. It's amazing.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

Right, so you're taking the complete context into account. And, in the complete context, donuts may be a better choice than broccoli. Therefore, it is not absolutely true that broccoli is healthier than donuts. It can be. It probably often is. It isn't always. It depends on why you're eating it and its role in your overall diet.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Well, you've admitted to the problem in your question. If you can't separate a food from it's context in a diet as a whole, there is no "healthier" option. There's room in someone's day for BOTH some broccoli and a donut.

The thing is, none of this comes down to either ors, you've presented a false dilemma. It's one that's commonly brought up since the argument about dietary context is often ignored. How does that donut fit into one's consumption for the whole day? You might not need the fiber or other things, and might need some quick energy. The donut would be a better choice in that case.

Context really matters.
  • sparky00721
    Options

Right, so you're taking the complete context into account. And, in the complete context, donuts may be a better choice than broccoli. Therefore, it is not absolutely true that broccoli is healthier than donuts. It can be. It probably often is. It isn't always. It depends on why you're eating it and its role in your overall diet.

Fair enough, thanks!
  • PeachyCarol
    edited November 2015
    Options

1500 calories of broccoli would be very unhealthy. I cannot begin to imagine the impact it would have on your digestive system.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Why not have some broccoli and then have a donut?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    Merrysix wrote: »
    Sometimes I think that MFP is one of those organizations funded by Coca Cola (you know the message -- all about exercise, and just eating "right" amount of calories, doesn't matter what you eat.) Go for it I say -- just try eating crap to your calorie macro and see how you feel, and how much exercise you are motivated to do. I eat to my calories AND my macros. The combination keeps me health and feeling satisfied. When my macros get out of balance for ME then I have a hard time sticking to my food plan and calorie plan. (PS my macros are higher protein/lower carb, cause that's how I feel best and most motivated to stick to my calorie macros).

Then i would suggest that is how you interpret the information. If you want to look at semantics, yes you can lose on a diet of junk food (i.e twinkie diet) but no one ever would suggest that. Commonly we promote a diet full of variety, foods that are nutrient dense (probably 80 to 90% of them), finding a diet that is sustainable and if you have calories left over then go ahead and have a treat.

Personally, i was eating a klondike on a nightly basis, but decided to give it up once i really bumped up my lifting routine. I made this decision as i needed greater volume of food. So now i do grapes with cool whip. Same calories, both good (obviously klondike > grapes) but the volume is much greater on the grapes.

Since there are so many people that "misinterpret" your message, I would suggest to rethink your communication strategy.

("your" of course is not referred specifically to you, but in general to those that promote IIFYM/flexible dieting/moderation and are "misinterpreted")

If the greater you cant read past my first setence then its not an interpretation issue.. its a reading issue.

These are your moderators, @Alex

Damn right he is. And even if Psulemon wasn't one of my favorite mods here, I'd still say he has a point in what he said.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options

kale_infographics.jpg