Personal Trainer & Weight Management Certified here to help!

Options

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Merrysix wrote: »
    Sometimes I think that MFP is one of those organizations funded by Coca Cola (you know the message -- all about exercise, and just eating "right" amount of calories, doesn't matter what you eat.) Go for it I say -- just try eating crap to your calorie macro and see how you feel, and how much exercise you are motivated to do. I eat to my calories AND my macros. The combination keeps me health and feeling satisfied. When my macros get out of balance for ME then I have a hard time sticking to my food plan and calorie plan. (PS my macros are higher protein/lower carb, cause that's how I feel best and most motivated to stick to my calorie macros).

I have been here a long time and have never seen anyone try and say "eat all the crap you want! you'll be perfectly healthy!" What I DO see is people trying to say that's what a lot of people on MFP promote, which is complete hyperbole.

What MFP has taught me, through some very very successful, long term posters, is that calories are like money. Yours to spend, and and once your bills and responsibilities are paid (i.e. macros and nutrient needs achieved), there's absolutely nothing wrong with buying yourself something frivolous. Some people may not want the frivolous things, or believe that it's better to not 'waste money' on friviolities, but that's personal choice and is in no way inherantly better than buying yourself something just for the sake of it.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,032 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think that MFP is one of those organizations funded by Coca Cola (you know the message -- all about exercise, and just eating "right" amount of calories, doesn't matter what you eat.) Go for it I say -- just try eating crap to your calorie macro and see how you feel, and how much exercise you are motivated to do. I eat to my calories AND my macros. The combination keeps me health and feeling satisfied. When my macros get out of balance for ME then I have a hard time sticking to my food plan and calorie plan. (PS my macros are higher protein/lower carb, cause that's how I feel best and most motivated to stick to my calorie macros).

I have been here a long time and have never seen anyone try and say "eat all the crap you want! you'll be perfectly healthy!" What I DO see is people trying to say that's what a lot of people on MFP promote, which is complete hyperbole.

What MFP has taught me, through some very very successful, long term posters, is that calories are like money. Yours to spend, and and once your bills and responsibilities are paid (i.e. macros and nutrient needs achieved), there's absolutely nothing wrong with buying yourself something frivolous. Some people may not want the frivolous things, or believe that it's better to not 'waste money' on friviolities, but that's personal choice and is in no way inherantly better than buying yourself something just for the sake of it.

That's a good way to put it.

I'll also add that through trial and error I've found that certain foods aren't worth the calories. Pears were one such food ... a bit on the high calorie side for fruit, with no staying power. I was hungry again 20 minutes later. Eggs, on the other hand, are a good choice for me. 2 eggs and a couple pieces of wholegrain toast, and I'm good to go for quite a while.

So while some of us don't specifically track our macros, through trial and error and learning which foods work for us, and which foods don't, we end up with something reasonably well balanced.

• knelson095
    knelson095 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I just read through this whole thread, and my only take away is that now I'm wondering...

Would clotted cream be similar to what happened when my brother was drunk and left the heavy whipping cream in the processor too long last thanksgiving? It turned kind of buttery.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I guess it may sometimes be seen as bragging?? "I eat all the junk I can fit into my calories". Obviously not in those exact words, but that is how it sometimes comes across.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Does that make strength training to build muscles an investment account?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    I guess it may sometimes be seen as bragging?? "I eat all the junk I can fit into my calories". Obviously not in those exact words, but that is how it sometimes comes across.
    Possibly. I get people that comment all the time that they can't believe I can eat pizza, fast food, and processed foods and not gain. But, then again they are only hearing about the junk food and not the other 80% of the time of nutritious eating.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,032 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Possibly. I get people that comment all the time that they can't believe I can eat pizza, fast food, and processed foods and not gain. But, then again they are only hearing about the junk food and not the other 80% of the time of nutritious eating.

In my case, I do eat pizza and tacos and cheesecake and all sorts of things .... but I exercise a whole lot for it.

About 3 weeks ago, my husband and I cycled a windy and hilly 100 km route. Very challenging ride because of the strong winds. When we got home, we picked up pizza (1 each) and a 6-serving tiramisu which we shared. They were great! And they fit into my calorie limit.

Of course the next day and the following week, we didn't do much at all in the way of exercise, in comparison with that, so the food intake was back to normal.

• CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

Does that make strength training to build muscles an investment account?

And fat stores are your savings plan:) Sans interest;)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Problem being that it gets misconstrued. Often what is said is something along the lines of "I eat cookies every day" (that's one that I've said). And it's taken to mean that I just eat a lot of cookies, and fit them into my calorie goal and don't gain weight. when the truth is that I eat a mostly well-balanced diet of carbs, protein and fats, with a pretty large amount of vegetable thrown in there, and then I have the cookies in the amount that will still fit into my calorie goals.
    Same goes for something like pizza or a burger - if I know I'm going to eat something like that, I'm going eat less of anything else that day, so that I can fit that food into the day. (and I don't consider either of those foods junk, as they have all my macros, along with the veggies I want, just higher calories.)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

That sounds more like an issue with interpretation than bragging...

If I say that I had wine tonight, or a piece of chocolate cake last night, and you interpret that as me bragging, or misconstrue that that I'm not focused on nutrition, then that's on you. It doesn't mean that I didn't eat other nutrient dense foods or that fitness isn't also a priority.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

That sounds more like an issue with interpretation than bragging...

If I say that I had wine tonight, or a piece of chocolate cake last night, and you interpret that as me bragging, or misconstrue that that I'm not focused on nutrition, then that's on you. It doesn't mean that I didn't eat other nutrient dense foods or that fitness isn't also a priority.

I never said that's how I took it. It was more a response to the poster above that mentioned coca-cola and how she possibly came up with that conclusion.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

No, not "MFP", take a look at their blog, and you will see a total different scenario: they definitely promote healthy eating.

• Gianfranco_R
    edited November 2015
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Then i would suggest that is how you interpret the information. If you want to look at semantics, yes you can lose on a diet of junk food (i.e twinkie diet) but no one ever would suggest that. Commonly we promote a diet full of variety, foods that are nutrient dense (probably 80 to 90% of them), finding a diet that is sustainable and if you have calories left over then go ahead and have a treat.

Personally, i was eating a klondike on a nightly basis, but decided to give it up once i really bumped up my lifting routine. I made this decision as i needed greater volume of food. So now i do grapes with cool whip. Same calories, both good (obviously klondike > grapes) but the volume is much greater on the grapes.

Since there are so many people that "misinterpret" your message, I would suggest to rethink your communication strategy.

("your" of course is not referred specifically to you, but in general to those that promote IIFYM/flexible dieting/moderation and are "misinterpreted")
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Because there's a big gang of members on MFP who are part of that "organization" and are being paid off to be part of the big conspiracy and post the same things, right?

I've never seen anybody say what you alluded to. What I've most often seen is interpretations along those lines by people who can only think in binary, who assume that if you say you eat ice cream once in a while, that can only mean that you're stuffing your face with junk food all day, every day. In the minds of such people, there just couldn't possibly be a middle ground where people eat to their macros, then indulge in a treat if they have calories left over.

I ate several pieces of peanut brittle for an evening snack tonight. After a day of eating chicken, rice, plenty of vegetables, lean beef, avocado, dairy and grains. I was over on my protein, right on the nose on my fats, and actually had a few carbs (and calories) left over for the day. I felt great all day and was pretty motivated for my daily exercise. Curse you, evil peanut brittle!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Some people take longer to process and understand messages than others
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

No, not "MFP", take a look at their blog, and you will see a total different scenario: they definitely promote healthy eating.

That's not healthy eating that is promoted on the blog ...that's how do we fill this space with eye catching media driven journalistic twangy messages that people want to read...you know like the health and fitness industry

It's important for clicks and for attracting people but as a guideline to success it's like picking up any tabloid media ..full of inaccurate infomercials

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

That's not healthy eating that is promoted on the blog ...that's how do we fill this space with eye catching media driven journalistic twangy messages that people want to read...you know like the health and fitness industry

It's important for clicks and for attracting people but as a guideline to success it's like picking up any tabloid media ..full of inaccurate infomercials

Yup, it's like the headlines on a magazine... always hunting for a catch line that will pull them in. Ever stand in line at the check out and peruse the headlines on the 'health' magazines?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Yup, it's like the headlines on a magazine... always hunting for a catch line that will pull them in. Ever stand in line at the check out and peruse the headlines on the 'health' magazines?

Magazines do it purely because nobody would buy their magazines if they simply told you in every issue to maintain a reasonable caloric deficit. And none of the "miracle pill" snake oil peddlers would spend millions to advertise in their magazines if the magazine itself was telling people the truth (that all those supplements are bogus and do absolutely nothing to help with weight loss). Read any "fitness" magazine - they're more of a supplement catalog than anything else.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

Then i would suggest that is how you interpret the information. If you want to look at semantics, yes you can lose on a diet of junk food (i.e twinkie diet) but no one ever would suggest that. Commonly we promote a diet full of variety, foods that are nutrient dense (probably 80 to 90% of them), finding a diet that is sustainable and if you have calories left over then go ahead and have a treat.

Personally, i was eating a klondike on a nightly basis, but decided to give it up once i really bumped up my lifting routine. I made this decision as i needed greater volume of food. So now i do grapes with cool whip. Same calories, both good (obviously klondike > grapes) but the volume is much greater on the grapes.

Since there are so many people that "misinterpret" your message, I would suggest to rethink your communication strategy.

("your" of course is not referred specifically to you, but in general to those that promote IIFYM/flexible dieting/moderation and are "misinterpreted")

If the greater you cant read past my first setence then its not an interpretation issue.. its a reading issue.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Options

If the greater you cant read past my first setence then its not an interpretation issue.. its a reading issue.

These are your moderators, @Alex