Personal Trainer & Weight Management Certified here to help!

Options

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    This didn't go very well did it...
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Anyone with an internet connection, credit card and 100 bucks can become a "certified" personal trainer.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    This didn't go very well did it...

It never does smh
  • natboosh69
    natboosh69 Posts: 277 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I think OP has deleted her profile, showing as 'Page not found'.

Also I would agree that @rabbitjb, @usmcmp, @SLLRunner, @ninerbuff etc seem to know their stuff. I'm a fairly rare poster as you can see but I am a full on lurker :) I've learnt a lot from posters such as the above.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    I ain't reading all of this, so can someone tell me if she ragequit for getting called out yet?

"Page not found

Sorry, but the page you requested was not found. Please check the URL and try again."
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    That's a shame
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    You people are so mean.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    lyttlewon wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    asimmons26 wrote: »
    Back to the calories are not equal. This is very simple. You eat 100 calories of French fries and I will eat 100 calories of veggies. Then let's see who has more energy. You can google not all calories are equal and find a ton of information backing this. The information I gave as to not all calories being equal was just a very quick statement without going into complex digestion and energy process of different foods. Your energy level has everything to do with how your lose weight.

I generally eat "empty" calories daily, even while prepping for a bodybuilding competition. 100 calories is a drop in the bucket for the amount of calories I eat while cutting. It's about overall context of the diet, not some random 100 calories.

I think I get the spirit of what she is saying. I thought I would eat a doughnut before a run once. It has a high carb content, so I thought why not? Well there is obviously a lot of fat also. I burped and refluxed that damn thing for a good three miles. I was miserable. I would have been better off eating oranges. That's a content problem though.

I'm a runner, and I've run a good 3 to 4 miles after eating a scone and my body loved those carbs. That scone is similar enough to the donut to make this comparison.

Bottom line, it's all just food and some people may perform well on carbs and fat and others may not. It depends on the person.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Back to the calories are not equal. This is very simple. You eat 100 calories of French fries and I will eat 100 calories of veggies. Then let's see who has more energy. You can google not all calories are equal and find a ton of information backing this. The information I gave as to not all calories being equal was just a very quick statement without going into complex digestion and energy process of different foods. Your energy level has everything to do with how your lose weight.

I generally eat "empty" calories daily, even while prepping for a bodybuilding competition. 100 calories is a drop in the bucket for the amount of calories I eat while cutting. It's about overall context of the diet, not some random 100 calories.

I think I get the spirit of what she is saying. I thought I would eat a doughnut before a run once. It has a high carb content, so I thought why not? Well there is obviously a lot of fat also. I burped and refluxed that damn thing for a good three miles. I was miserable. I would have been better off eating oranges. That's a content problem though.

Pre-workout fuel would be different than everything else you eat during the day. Just like I said, context of the diet. 100 calories is a much larger portion of 1200 calories than it is of 2100 calories. Eating some candy every day along with lean protein, quality fats and vegetables could make the difference between staying on track or failing for some people (like me, a binge eater).

True, very good point about staying on track. I couldn't survive clean eating all the time. I've tried to do challenges with my sister before, and I can't do it. I eat a lot of veggies, but the limitation is just too much for me to sustain.

I would never have competed in a bodybuilding competition if my trainer had put me on a strict diet with zero sweets in it. Some people don't mind eating that way, for others it's a recipe for failure. Sometimes 100 or 200 "empty" calories saves me from 3,000 calories worth of whatever is within reach.

For me as a runner, it is the carbs that fuel me up pretty darn good. My body just wants carbs and doesn't care what type they are, though I prefer some good oatmeal and bread. I don't like donuts at all, but I love scones and muffins.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

I'm a runner, and I've run a good 3 to 4 miles after eating a scone and my body loved those carbs. That scone is similar enough to the donut to make this comparison.

Bottom line, it's all just food and some people may perform well on carbs and fat and others may not. It depends on the person.

Absolutely. The conversation could have gone somewhere productive if it had been about what people find works well with their bodies and what doesn't, or why one may want to use a carb as fuel (or not).
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Most calorie strategies for weight loss have a downfall. The reason is all calories are not created equal. Your best bet is to just worry about eating clean and drinking half your body weight in ounces of water each day. Your BMR doesn't stay the same. (As you stated) The better fit or unfit you become you would need to recalculate everything. Temperature also changes your BMR so to go strictly off of a calculation like TDEE would need to be an estimate only. Don't even bother with that. Stay away from whites (rice, bread, pasta). These should only be eaten for special occasions. Replace these with Ezekiel bread, quinoa, etc. Get creative with your veggies, no butter. Your veggies should be the biggest portion on your plate.

i feel sorry for the cultures where rice is the staple diet.

This is a good point. People in cultures who eat a lot of white rice seem more lean, such as the Chinese culture.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    That scone better have had jam and cream

Jus' sayin' @SLLRunner
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    125goals wrote: »
    How are we suppose to know who's actually right and who's wrong.

I need proof please... Post it! Thanks.
    You hang out, see who can back it up with science. You learn who you can trust. No one is infallible but there are some here that are darn close and if they say something that is incorrect it is usually minor. I trust @ninerbuff @rabbitjb @SLLRunner @usmcmp and many others here because they give great advice. Anyone who is newer, I always take a wait and see approach. There are others who have lots of posts, who are not as trustworthy, but they usually get called out. When someone calls someone else out, with science, it is the BEST!

Thank you, Dani. :)
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    125goals wrote: »
    How are we suppose to know who's actually right and who's wrong.

I need proof please... Post it! Thanks.
    You hang out, see who can back it up with science. You learn who you can trust. No one is infallible but there are some here that are darn close and if they say something that is incorrect it is usually minor. I trust @ninerbuff @rabbitjb @SLLRunner @usmcmp and many others here because they give great advice. Anyone who is newer, I always take a wait and see approach. There are others who have lots of posts, who are not as trustworthy, but they usually get called out. When someone calls someone else out, with science, it is the BEST!

Adding @SideSteel

Yes.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Jus' sayin' @SLLRunner

Now I want scones and clotted cream.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Jus' sayin' @SLLRunner

national-cream-tea-day.jpg
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Jus' sayin' @SLLRunner

Strawberry jam for sure, @rabbitjb, and the scone needs to be piping hot so the butter and jam melt in.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Jus' sayin' @SLLRunner

Strawberry jam for sure, @rabbitjb, and the scone needs to be piping hot so the butter and jam melt in.

Peasant :bigsmile:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Jus' sayin' @SLLRunner

national-cream-tea-day.jpg

You are evil. Gosh I miss that.
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I think it's perfectly reasonable to ask posters to justify anything they are posting as facts. I come to these boards for information to help me with nutrition, weight loss and exercise. There's enough misinformation out there already so it's good that myths, broscience and opinions presented as facts are disputed by people who really know their stuff.