Motivation, Success and Frustration Sharing!

Options

Replies

• janetay01
    janetay01 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    @bluepoppies777 - I hear you about the plateau. I have this conversation with myself where, full of enthusiasm and good intent, I tell myself that I've got this. Then by the end of the day I look at my diary and realise that I really don't have this and I certainly don't have the discipline. One thing I have to do is get back on the exercise horse - I got a short cross trainer workout in yesterday and feel good for it. Let's kick each other along this road :)

Shy - well done for the time in the gym. It's so hard sometimes to find the time for these things and then when the time is found it's easy to give it up to something else. Enjoy being back there tonight!

@health_guard - joining you on the exercise and water challenge. I won't necessarily get a proper workout in each day but I'm back to logging my steps and making sure I do something extra when I'm at home - next time for that will be Friday.

Jen - sounds like a glorious setting for a concert and well done on the NSV's - so much more important in some ways than the numbers on the scale. I would definitely take up the BF's shopping suggestion - maybe you can extend it beyond the bras!

Rachel - keep feeling good about yourself girl and have fun at the Renaissance Fair :)

Becky - welcome!

So, need non dietary, nutritional advice good people with children - biting! Alistair was having a tussle with another child at nursery yesterday over a truck and was losing the battle. So in order to redress the balance, he bit the other child :(. He is generally the gentlest little boy and usually quite empathetic to others and we are mortified that this has happened. He knows he shouldn't have done it (ran away from the nursery assistant when he realised he'd been seen!) and was really quite subdued when I got him home. We've had a chat with him about why it's not nice to do, expressing his feelings in other, more socially acceptable ways etc etc - any of you gone through this with your younger ones (he's almost 21 months), anything we can do to try and ensure it doesn't become a habit?? And I can't talk to my antenatal group mums about it as three of the kids are in the room with him so there is a pretty high chance that it was one of them that he bit!!!!!

Other than that, not a great deal to report but I think that's enough - put quite the dampener on the evening!
  • PhedraJD
    PhedraJD Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    @ShyCush6 Fantastic job on the gym. I changed my schedule at work, and now it seems like I am always tired, and I can't seem to be able to squeeze any exercise in.

@bluepoppies777 I hate when work goes from one extreme to another. Just hang in there, you can get back on the path. One step at a time.

@ngolden3320 Sometimes we just need to take a break. I can't work out when my head hurts either. Glad your daughter is back at class. I like that she thinks she gets too mooch off you. My mom always told us if we weren't in school we had to pay rent, food and utilities.

@janetay01 He would take me for other clothes too. Right now, most of my clothes look okay. I have plenty of different sizes so I just move along to different ones as my body changes. As to the biting thing, it sounds like you did a good job addressing it, and giving him different tools to help with his frustration/stress. My youngest liked to bite me when she was mad at me. I finally gave up trying to talk to her about it, time out. I bit her back.. just hard enough to hurt. That worked. To this day I remember my grandma biting me because I bit some kid. I was 5, and it hurt like heck. Never did it again though. The daycare providers should be able to give you a couple of ideas on how to handle it, or even his doctor. Biting is normal for little kids. Good luck.

So my BF is trying to lose weight with me, but for some reason in the evening he goes snack crazy.. (he is slowly gaining weight) It is driving me crazy, I am having a hard time ignoring the snacks in the evening with him eating them all the time and in front of me. I gave into a bowl of ice cream, and 2 fig newton calories...Grr I didn;t give in to the cheese (numerous times), the chips, more fig newtons, or the second bowl of ice cream. I also need to find time for exercise. Come on energy!
  • JenHul
    JenHul Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    @jdelaroy I have problems with nite time snacking as well. I'm not hungry, just bored! I need to keep telling myself this.....
  • wishfuljune
    wishfuljune Posts: 2,571 Member
    Options
    @jdelaroy - my snacking problems come in the middle of the day, usually between 2-4pm. I just want to eat everything because I'm bored at work. I've started drinking more water between that time, and I've spaced out my snacks that I bring to work so that I eat it right in the middle of my snack time, rather than with lunch. Also, I brush my teeth as soon as I've finished my dinner so that I'm not tempted to snack. That helps at night too!
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    @jdelaroy I love your NSVs, what a fantastic night! My SO does all his crazy eating at night too...and then wonder why he hasn't lost weight *sigh*

@health_guard Love your goals. Keep us posted on how it's going!

@ShyCush6 You're absolutely right, you can get a good workout in in 15 minutes. And it's helping to solidify healthy thoughts and habits

@bluepoppies777 I feel you, this week has been the week of unexpected treats (with more to come Thursday and Friday). We'll just wade through and do the best we can!

@janetay01 I have no advice except to say it sounds like you're doing a great job and it seems like he knew what he did was wrong.

We had an 8am meeting this morning (ugh). I usually use that time to get myself together so I feel a bit frazzled today. Not going to the gym tonight to give my body another day of rest but I will hit up a lunch time yoga class to hopefully stretch everything out. Hopefully by Thursday night the DOMS will have subsided enough to do well in class.
  • ShyCush6
    ShyCush6 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    So last night the gym kicked my *kitten*… I don’t know why but it seemed much harder yesterday… Went in this morning and it was great… Maybe it was just the after work evening workout… Working late tonight so it’s going to be a long day… Hopefully I can contend with snacking!
    Getting another workout in in the morning and Lexi has a volleyball game after work tomorrow… I’ve almost got to schedule the gym in on my calendar to make sure I make room for it… Seems like so much to do all the time! Got Lexi’s school pictures yesterday… Turned out great… Freshman, where has time gone?
    Joy: No snoozing Joy!! I’m with you… Working so hard on the exercise but the damn food is so hard to deal with! Had my fair share of cookie dough last night. =( And I wonder why the scale is not moving!

Nicole: Glad school is resumed and I hope Cassidy changes her mind about living off mom and dad.. if only it was that easy! =) Way to go getting to the gym!! It really does feel good!

Janetay: Food discipline is really hard… I struggle so much with this and I really don’t know how to overcome it. =(

Jdelaroy: My husband snacks at night in front of me as well… It is very hard not to give in… Last night he finished the apple pie and ice cream… I was happy cuz at least we were out and there wasn’t more for me… Otherwise I would have caved on the ice cream for sure.

Rachel: You’re right Rachel… going to the gym just gives me a good feeling and sets my head right so it’s “top of mind”… Now to get eating controlled and top of mind!
  • bluepoppies777
    bluepoppies777 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Well, I walked last night for an hour and a half - success! Then later I ended up eating a bowl of rhubard crisp that I baked. It's like commme onnnn Joy! Get it together! PFFFFF!
    But this morning I was up and at the gym at 5:30am, yikes! talk about early.

Missy, I like your goals this week, of one hour a day, more water and healthy eating. I'm doing about 40-45 mins a day at the gym. Have to up my water for sure. And the healthy eating obviously needs a bit of a tweak! Will work on that!

Nichole - stress from dealing with estates and lawyers is enough to make anyone's head hurt. Hang in there, it should be taken care of soon hopefully.

Jane - the biting story made me laugh! (sorry, I know it's serious). My 9 yo used to bite, what a little scheister! I like Jen's idea of biting back, but I never did that. I have spanked my kids before, but not sure if that would help. I remember taking books about biting out of the public library and reading them to him. (books that are meant for his age) I think it helped a bit, but it is mostly talking about it, reinforcing it, and working on it. If it's not biting it will be something else, right now we are STILL talking about budget/money stuff with the 21 yo (4 years of in one ear out the other), and we are talking to the 9 yo about not talking in class! (4 years of that too, he's a yapper). Seems like it is a never ending thing for parents, just trying to drill information into their heads. Just be patient and stay calm, and don't you worry - one of those other nursery mom's is cringing because her son has gone and done something too! :)

Jen D - I know, the evening snacking is a killer! totally a killer! rhubarb crisp be damned! I say if the family is snacking, we should try to just get out of that area so we don't cave. Like either go read a book in a different room, or go for a walk, or bubble bath or ?? Can't think of anything else besides taking the food out of their hands and throwing it in the garbage! (could you imagine? ha!)
  • ngolden3320
    ngolden3320 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Ugh all this talk about snacking I'm wanting a snack right now. Good thing there r no ice cream. Cookies pie nothing on the house so what do I do in place of snacking. I'm watching chopped. All about food. >:) Cassidy survived her first day back after fire. Then went straight to volleyball practice and then cheer practice. I guess she is going back tomorrow cause she ate dinner and was going to bed due to exhaustion. So mooching off mom and dad will have to wait. Lol. Did the 30 minute circuit today at the gym and some abs. I thought I would try to trick my body w something other then the arc trainer for cardio. I'll let u know next week if it worked when I weigh in.

Jane if feel ur pain kids. Gotta love them. When mine were little my niece used to pull Jenna's hair all the time. One day my son marched right over and gave hers a hard yank and she never pulled Jenna's hair again. If it makes u feel better. Like Joy said. Once u concur that issue there will b 100 more. :# But they r totally worth it. Especially when they r sleeping. Just kidding (not really). Lol

Shy. Cassidy has a volleyball game tomorrow so not sure where the gym will fit in but I'm gonna try my best. They changed my hours at work from 4-noon to 6-2:30. Love going in later but that working to 2:30 suck royally. Messes with my gym time and kids schedule.
  • PhedraJD
    Options
    @jenhul that is the BF's issue as well. I usually do alright if he isn't snacking. It is much harder when they are already out and someone else is enjoying them. Last night I managed to only eat a bite of a fig newton, and a bite of a Twizzler. I am calling that a win.

@wishfuljune I love the idea of brushing my teeth as soon as I am done. I am going to have to try it. Thanks

@ShyCush6 My oldest is a Junior this year, It has flown so fast, makes me want to cry. I had ice cream in the freezer calling my name last night. I managed to ignore it though.
  • PhedraJD
    Options
    @bluepoppies777 Usually, I leave some calories for an evening snack. The other night it was just none stop, I was getting frustrated with him as well as myself. Last night was better.

@ngolden my work hours were just changed too. I am still adjusting and it has almost been 3 weeks. I do like the new shift though.
  • janetay01
    Options
    Joy - don't apologise, there is a part of me that also laughs about it, particularly the thought of him scampering off to hide once he'd done it!! But in seriousness, books from the library is an interesting option - we talk to him a lot and we also read to him a lot so I think that tackling it in a way that he relates to might be good - I'll see what options there are. Thankfully, we've had no repeat so far so I'm hoping it was a one off, having a bad day for him. And rhubarb crisp - yum, I'm not sure I could have turned that down :)

Nicole - glad that school is open again and that Cassidy has returned. Hopefully she will reconsider her plan to live off mum and dad for the rest of her life!! Someone at work has just told me that a nearly two year old biting is just the start and that the problems and challenges just change over the years. Totally worth it and I wouldn't change a thing - but there are days when it makes me want to tear all my hair out!

Another one here struggling with snacking - particularly in the afternoon. I'm just trying to keep my water consumption up and simply be a bit stricter with myself. Not easy! And a fitbit rant - I got in about 13,000 steps yesterday and was feeling very pleased with myself - then the stupid thing wouldn't sync and ended up only giving me about 350 steps. It shouldn't matter as I know I did the work and it's therefore just a stat but I like seeing it registered on my MFP account!

• Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    @ShyCush6 I agree, working out in the afternoon/evenings always feels harder to me too. Sadly that's when all my classes are scheduled so I don't have much of a choice, but I miss waking up early and getting it done with while I was fresh

@janetay01 I'd be frustrated too, you earned those steps! Glad there hasn't been a repeat

@ngolden3320 Wow you've got an early schedule. It must have been nice getting off at noon. Hopefully you're able to work things around so you can still make it to the gym

@bluepoppies777 I don't think I could have resisted fresh rhubarb crisp either. Great job getting to the gym right away in the AM though!

@jdelaroy I think having 2 bites and stopping is a bigger accomplishment than not starting at all, way to go!

I was kinda grumpy about coming in to work today. I downloaded a bunch of new podcasts so I'm thinking I'm just going to hole up in my office and do some mindless processing to keep my grumpiness to myself. Found out that I get to have a Leadership Development day tomorrow, part of which is going to be playing around on the ropes course so I'm super excited for that. Please let today fly by quickly!
  • wishfuljune
    Options
    @janetay01 - That stinks about your fitbit sync up! But at least you know you did that many steps, which is a huge accomplishment. Way to go!

@ngolden3320 - I think I'd love your schedule though: getting out at 2:30 means hitting the gym when it's super empty!

@jdelaroy - Good job on limiting your snacking! That's a huge step in the right direction. :)

@Rachel0778 - Sounds like you'll have a productive day holed up in your office with those podcasts though. I hope the day flies for you so that you can enjoy your leadership development day tomorrow!

Three days in the books so far with watching my macronutrients, and I'm feeling pretty good about it. I did two days of lifting and had my spin class last night. Luckily, my butt has stopped hurting from spin. :p I've got another lifting day scheduled today with some HIIT cardio (shoulders and sprints on a treadmill), and then tomorrow is leg day. Tomorrow is also my carb-loading day (get at me 254g of carbs!) so my boyfriend and I are going to start tomorrow morning off right: pumpkin pecan pancakes! :) Then on Saturday, I'm meeting my parents for a surprise anniversary party my younger sisters and I planned for them. I'm hoping things go smoothly, but we'll see. You never know what can happen with family. ;)
  • ShyCush6
    ShyCush6 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Joy: Nice job with the gym! Sweet!! Rhubarb crisp… Yummo! Hard to resist though! I’m with you though… the healthy eating needs a tweak or a swift kick in the *kitten*! =)

Nicole: I laugh as in the evenings at the gym I watch the Travel channel and it usually has great stories on FOOD! Working out making myself hungry! LOL! Libero position tonight for Lexi. She really excels in that position… I just love watching her play but it does make it hard with work and kids schedules to make time for ourselves! ;)

Jdelaroy: A couple bites never killed anyone… ;) Way to ignore the screaming ice cream!! I failed to stop and buy any as requested… Ooops! LOL! It’s it crazy how fast kids grow up… I never thought it was possible! Don’t blink!

Janetay: My fitbit broke.. they are sending me a new Alta but I never realized how much I’d miss it! Should have a new one by next week!! Yay! But I understand your beef with it not syncing… Happened to Lexi Monday… she was not happy!! She had 15k and it went to 0.

Rachel: Oooo… sounds like a fun day tomorrow! Hope you shake the funk today and all gets a lil happier!

June: I love spinning! Pumpkin Pecan pancakes.. Yum!!! Enjoy! Hopefully you will have a great party Sat as well!

So I’m kind of frustreated with myself! All this gym working out and the scale won’t budge… no fault to the scale… but I must think I can eat back all the calories! Makes me so angry at myself! Today is a new day. Hit the gym before work… so far eating pretty good! I have cut out all soda during the week, which is a good 150 calories a day… so I think I’m eating those calories back as well… I have quite the sweet tooth and I used to have the soda to rid me of eating a sweet snack… But I crave sweets… My dad is the same way… I swear it’s in my jeans or I just really like to eat! LOL! So here’s to getting my eating under wraps… to go with the great exercising I’ve been doing. One thing at a time I suppose… Been doing better with water, now exercising, so hopefully food comes around soon! Off to volleyball tonight after work… away game so I hopefully won’t find anytime to eat between rushing around… Looking forward to Lexi playing her favorite Libero position tonight, she rotates games with another girl. I love seeing her so happy with sports and cheering for varsity.. she really is a mini me… I loved everything about sports and hanging with me friends through it all!
  • lorimccarvel
    lorimccarvel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Okay, Here I go again!! Switched jobs and gained 45 pounds!! :-( I went to a desk job from a stand on your feet all day job. LOVE TO EAT salty then sweet then salty then sweet then.....It's a vicious cycle!! I'm gonna get stretch marks on my face if I keep it up!! HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Eva (Shirley's one of my dogs) i want to lose 50lbs & have already lost 15. I would love to be in a core group. Not sure how to find this group, advise? but i do read the posts every day
  • PhedraJD
    Options
    @janetay01 FItbit not synching sucks. I am sorry, at least you know you walked those steps.

@Rachel0778 Grumpy days are hard. At least you know it and can lock yourself away. Friday at work sounds fun, and then a Ren. Fair will be great! Hope you made it through the day.

@shycush6 you can do it. Just take one step at a time. :)

@lorimccarvel Welcome to the thread. You can do this. I also have a desk job. I have probably increased my steps during the day by three times, just by making a conscious effort to move. I also walk during lunch. Love it.

@shirleymut Welcome to MFP, There is no group. We all just hang out on this thread. In the upper right hand corner there is a star, if you click on it, it will add to your book marks and then you can come visit the thread anytime you want.

2 weeks until vacation and I am 5 pounds from my goal. I don't think I am going to make it, but I am still proud that I have lost 20 pounds and I move so much better than I did before. Maybe I can get 3 pounds gone before that.

• janetay01
    Options
    @lorimccarvel and @shirleymut - welcome!

Jen - you may not make it quite to goal but you've made awesome progress in my opinion - where are you going on vacation?

Shy - Eating back my exercise calories is something of a problem for me as well - I know all the things about people saying you shouldn't eat back more than about half of them but I seem to see them outstanding on my diary and think 'I must eat you all'!! Working from home today so going to get back on the cross trainer at some point - either over lunch or between finishing work and picking Alistair up - it will help counter the fact that I move so little when I'm not in the office.

@wishfuljune - sounds like you have a great exercise plan in place. Hope the surprise party goes well - I know what you mean about the family stuff - you are never quite sure what might happen when you put them all together in a confined space!

Rachel - hope you survived yesterday. Have fun on the ropes course for your Leadership Development day - sounds like a good way to end the week :)

I am so glad it's Friday - it's been a long and odd week! The power went out in my husbands office on Monday lunchtime and they've not restored it yet so he's been working from home all week. With his old job, our work from home days quite often fell on the same day and we learned how to work around each other quite well. Now he's in the office all the time, I'm not used to it and we both keep finding we need the phone at the same time and desperately trying to fit around each other again! Winter clothes shopping for Alistair this weekend - temperature has dropped 10 degrees over night and I don't want him getting cold! Pouring with rain this morning so packed him off to nursery bundled up in his raincoat - he's discovered the joy of splashing in puddles!

Anyway, back to work - have a good Friday all!
  • ngolden3320
    ngolden3320 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Yippy it is finally Friday. No gym yesterday. Had college stuff to do for jenna. She starts Monday. Then volleyball game for Cassidy the orientation for jenna after. Did good on my eating only because I was never home. And I'm going w a NSV for not stopping at a drive thru. Gym today and the Cassidy cheers at football game tonight and then has a volleyball tourney tomorrow so that will b fro 8-2. Goal is gym after.

Welcome newbies feel free to add me as a friend and will respond to everyone when I get a little time. There was a lot going on here yesterday. So I need time to read and catch up.

Enjoy
  • wishfuljune
    Options
    Welcome @lorimccarvel and @shirleymut! Feel free to add me as a friend if you need extra motivation. Just click the star icon at the top of this thread (next to the title) to favorite this thread. That way, you'll receive notifications when someone posts here, and hopefully, it'll help you through your journey. :)

@janetay01 - Aww, that's too bad to hear about your husband's office losing power! I'm sure you guys will figure out a schedule soon, or his office will regain power again soon.

@health_guard - Congrats on the elliptical workout! Sounds like you were really powering through to get to the 3.4 miles!

@ngolden3320 - Sounds like a crazy busy day/weekend for you. Good luck with everything your kids are doing, and I think it's awesome you're still finding time to squeeze in a trip to the gym!

Last night I did shoulders (overhead press, barbell upright row, dumbbell side lateral raise, bent over rear delt raise) and 20 minutes of agility ladder drills. Old me would have cared about doing something like ladder drills in front of everyone in the gym, but I didn't care what I looked like trying to weave my feet through the squares of the ladder this time around. And hey, it was a good workout. Then I had my yoga class, so yesterday was like a 2+ hour gym trip for me. Legs today (yay squats!), arms and cardio tomorrow, and then a rest day on Sunday... which is perfect for football.

I weighed myself this morning and have lost 3.4lb since last week. I'm ecstatic! This is actually the lowest I have been since Memorial Day! I think counting my macros and going to the gym often is doing the trick so far, but we'll see what I say next week about it. ;)

SW (in January 2016): 205lb
    CW: 178.8lb
    GW: 150lb

I'm just over halfway now!