Motivation, Success and Frustration Sharing!

Options

Replies

• novten82
    novten82 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    ktc1968 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone! My name is Karen and like some of you I have dropped out for a bit. I am really having a hard time staying motived with my daily exercise routines as well as my evening eating. It appears that I am never satisfied with what I eat and even though I am full I still want to eat, this insane :s . I also have another problem and that is I like to eat in bed. I am in desperate need of support, with all of this and everything else in life I am becoming more depressed which make this even harder.

KTC- I made a rule. NO food upstairs (where my bedroom is) you could make no food in the bedroom a rule. It has helped me.

Also, when I want to eat, I ask myself are you bored, thirsty or hungry. If I'm truly hungry I will have something small. I am on a HUGE Sugar Free Jello kick right now...10 calories for a 4oz container.

• novten82
    Options
    Please excuse my lack of text speak, but what is NSV? Thanks.
  • janetay01
    janetay01 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    @novten82 - welcome! And NSV is non scale victory - something that shows your weight loss/healthy living progress without being purely a number on the scale!

Shy - hang in there girl, you've had a tough week with the death of your friend. Focus on the small stuff like you said - the water, the steps and then reset yourself after the funeral tomorrow. Thinking of you.

@ktc1968 - welcome to the thread. Agree with @novten82 - try to create a 'no food in bed' rule. I've done it for different reasons - I'm a messy eater and toast crumbs in your sheets are really not cool! Regarding the evening eating, what do you do in the evenings? I find that if I'm occupied and my hands are busy I'm far less likely to snack. I'm currently cross stitching a blanket for my little boy which is fun and relaxing - and keeps me far too occupied and focussed to want to eat. Just a thought - do you have something similar that you can do?

@wishfuljune - good luck with the personal trainer. I do think 1200 would be too low with the workouts that you are doing - even at my tiny height and without adding in exercise, most calorie counters are giving me over 1400 calories to play with. I'm with you if you create a spreadsheet - I'm on a concerted push to the end of the year and could do with the accountability that would come with that.

@lessismoreohio - welcome! Sounds like you are doing well and the fact that clothes are fitting better is a real win, even if the numbers are taking time to drop. Do you take measurements as well?

@redwolfpack04 - welcome! Sounds like you are doing a lot of things right. And managing three kids under 10 - my admiration climbs. I sometimes struggle to organise life enough with my 22 month old!!! Life does get in the way but come back when you can to catch up and comment - and hope your wife gets better soon!

Rachel - I think I've certainly recommitted this week after a frankly pretty flaky few months for me. I'm no where close to where I wanted to be but I'm making better choices so I'm happy for now. If I can stir myself to exercise again - no motivation whatsoever right now - then that would be good. But you are right, it will come when it comes and as long as we are making informed choices and are happy with our own progress then that is the important thing in my view. So glad you are getting your house back together again. Good books - what are you reading at the moment? I'm in need of something to get my teeth into as the cold weather approaches.

Jen - great NSV - way to show the BF where you are at with all of this :). Thanks for the group info - I will go in and put myself on the waiting list.

@gemwolf110 - gorgeous pics :smile:

Joy - yep, focus is key for me. I do eyeball and I don't do it very well so back to measuring for me. Absolutely agree on the meal planning - we now plan all our meals a week in advance and then do one shop. So we know exactly what the plan is and it stops the (for me) terrible tendency to buy everything in the shop because I'm shopping for supper on the way back from work and I'm hungry. This is why when my husband pops to the shop when hungry we end up with apple pie and the like - and I have no willpower to say no to a slice.

@donnamt2016 - welcome and stick with it! You will come to the point where you like the way you look and feel - and it feels so much better than the feeling after the alcohol. Look after yourself - you are worth it!

Wow - well that was a catch up and a half - great to see the thread busy again. Working today from home - going to finish a bit early and get a session in on the cross trainer to get myself moving again. Not much else to report - although I did officially deliver my first coaching session yesterday as part of the qualification that I'm doing! Think it went allright but need to get the feedback from the person being coached to be sure! It's great to feel like I'm learning a practical skill that I can use in the future. Also looking into whether designing my own cross stitch charts is someething that I could do/might be fun to do. So many things, so little time! Have a good day all :)
  • PhedraJD
    PhedraJD Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    @redwolfpack04 , @lessismoreohio , @ktc1968, @novten82 Welcome and jump on it. We like to share are ups, downs, goals and just about anything else.

@ShyCush6 No pop is a great NSV!!!! I am sure tired/bored/depression eating will get to you. You can do this, or maybe try to replace the eating with something with negative calories? Like celery?

@novten82 I love Jello! I wish I could eat them. My doctor has told me to stay away from sugar substitutes. They aren't good for my liver. :(

@janetay01 We need to see updates on the blanket! How far have you gotten. I am so glad to hear you are going to join the group it is such a blast. You will get your groove again. Sometimes our body just needs a break. We also do the meals a week at a time. It is great for the shopping and knowing what you are going to cook. Not having a plan led to a lot of fast food for us.

@rachel0778 Being happy with where you are, the course you on is probably the best NSV out there. Good job getting there.

@gemwolf110 I will have to look into a foam roller. They are two different things. The Amazing Race is on MFP and open to all. The 45 day challenge is done through the Denver Broncos. They do a lot of coinciding, so it is like double dipping.
  • PhedraJD
    Options
    I hate when it cuts off your post.

Yesterday was a lousy food day for me. I ate everything in sight. I had the munchies, craving something but didn't know what going on. I came in at 750 calories over. Holy smokes, that is the worst I have done since starting this. The funny thing is I really don't feel like it was a bad thing. I almost think my body needed it. Maybe I am just deluding myself. Must be my fats way of fighting the eviction notice I gave it. LOL
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    @jdelaroy I've noticed with my body that if I eat extended periods of time at a caloric deficit, sometimes my body needs a day (or a week) on a maintenance break. It sounds like maybe your body was telling you something similar. Fat definitely fights the eviction notice big time!

@gemwolf110 Sounds like the pups are definitely keeping you busy!

@janetay01 I'm reading the Maiden Lane series right now (historical romance). I usually read a lot of historical romance, historical fiction, and world literature. It makes it feel like I get to travel the world (even when I don't have the funds!) Congrats on your first appointment!!!

@novten82 Welcome! NSV= Non-Scale Victory :)

@ShyCush6 10 hours is brutal! Is there an end in sight to all that overtime?

@ktc1968 Welcome Karen! Sorry to hear you're having a rough time. Have you ever talked to a nutritionist or therapist about your struggles with food/satiety? I met with one awhile back and it was one of the best decisions I ever made

@wishfuljune Glad to hear you're able to address it with your trainer, let us know how it goes!

@lessismoreohio Welcome!!

@redwolfpack04 Great job keeping on plan! It sounds like you have a lot of things you are juggling. I'm glad you're able to take care of yourself amidst it all!

I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of this whole skating thing. I still run into walls but I'm falling less lol. Good thing I have 7.5 more weeks before I have to take the test to make the team! I'm also looking forward to my pole dancing class tonight, I'm starting to get really bummed I only have 2 left before the session is over. I might have to see if I can fit a second session into my schedule/budget!

I hope everyone else is having a great Wednesday!
  • wishfuljune
    wishfuljune Posts: 2,587 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Happy Wednesday everyone!

@ShyCush6 - That's a great NSV to not drink any soda! :) Sometimes it's the little things that make all the difference.

@janetay01 - I would love to see this blanket you are cross-stitching! I have my knitting needles, but I am pretty basic (scarves for days). Do you look up patterns online to guide you on your cross-stitching journey? Sounds like you're acknowledging what you need to do to be successful, and you will get there! I am probably going to make a public spreadsheet and share it here and with my MFP friends if they want to track their success that way. Will work on that this weekend. :)

@gemwolf110 - Food scales are the best! When my boyfriend and I prep food, we weigh everything (even the garlic cloves and spices, lol), and then we will weigh what we prepared at the end and divide it by how many servings we want out of it. I've learned that even the best food websites (Skinnytaste is my jam), my calories are sometimes significantly more than what she says her meals are! It could be that a "medium sized vegetable" or "1 cup of chopped vegetables" is a lot different than hers. Food scales really help!

@jdelaroy - Sometimes, your body needs extra calories. Were you munching because you were hungry, thirsty, or bored? I try and drink at least 8 oz of water if I think I'm hungry, just to see if it's thirst. And if I'm bored, I'll get up and walk around, or try and busy myself with another project instead of going to the vending machine at work, or grabbing food at home.

Yesterday, I tried to deadlift 22.5lb plates on the olympic bar and managed to do 3 before I felt my back curving. I was frustrated because I did 20lb plates last week, and when I tried 20lb plates, I could barely do 5 reps. I ended up doing 3 sets of 10 reps at 15lb plates and could feel it in my back, but I was really beating myself up about it. My boyfriend was like, "Chelsey -- you're the one who is always telling me that sometimes you need to go down in weight in order to get the form right. You've got this." And he's right. I am making progress, and that's what matters. Maybe instead of stepping up to 20lb plates again, I'll try 17.5lb plates and see if I can do 3 sets of 10 of that without giving up my form.
  • novten82
    Options
    @jdelaroy Can you do Stevia? I am thinking about making my own jello using gelatin, Kool-Aid flavor packets (no sugar) and then adding Stevia. I bought some stevia drops that I am going to try. The other option I have seen is to use gelatin and fruit juice. I would do half fruit juice and half water so the calories are less. Also the company that makes the stevia drops makes a water additive (like crystal lite) that may be an option to try too.
  • novten82
    Options
    Having a rough morning, and all I want to do is eat. Any suggestions to help me get out of this funk?
  • wishfuljune
    Options
    @novten82 - Drink some water this morning and see how that feels after 20 minutes. Can you go for a walk? Sometimes if I think I'm going to binge, I get up from my desk to stretch my legs. When I return, that desire is no longer there.
  • bluepoppies777
    bluepoppies777 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Hi friends!
    Shy - sorry to hear about your friend, that is sad! Just reminds us to enjoy life because we don't know what will happen in the future. Nice that you have a group of friends to provide each other support.
    Jen - way to go with the 5 x 100 m runs! I should go and do that too - I bet my 9 yo would come with me to the track. I was just thinking this morning that I am a bit bored at the gym these days. I'm doing spin after work today, my fav! Feels good to kick someone's butt - especially your BF! ha!
    Nic - so glad that your kidney stone is gone and you are feeling back to normal. Yes, let's get this fat off!
    June - yes I agree with the others, 1200 is too low. I tried it for a while earlier this year and it was a disaster. Would end up losing it and eating a huge meal. I agree with Rachel, just go with what you know your body is comfortable with! I did plan a couple meals this week - tacos (YUM!) and tortellini... not on the same night! haha!

I weighed again today and I'm still a lb up from the weekend, not sure why it hasn't budged, but I will keep on it. I had a really good NSV last night - after dinner I wanted to pounce on the ice cream SO BAD, but I made myself look at the calendar and see how many weeks until the end of the year, and told myself no - we all said we are going to lose weight before the end of the year, and if I eat this ice cream, I'll be going in the wrong direction. So I filled up my water bottle and drank it instead. !!!!! I have to say, it felt really good to be able to conquer that craving and show myself that I do have some will power!

welcome to all the noobs, feel free to add me. :)
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    @JessicaT1299 Nice quotes! --> "One workout at a time, One day at a time, One meal at a time." "Be patient, your body will reward you"

@gemwolf110 is that salad or cabbage Kimchi in the mason jar? Love Kimchi! Also, love the pictures of the fur babies. Ours is an 11 year old black lab named Katie.

My update for the day: Yesterday evening and today I'm getting refocused on my calorie tracking, my exercise routine and getting back to a regular sleep routine. These past 3 weeks have been a bit of a blur and had me a little out of sync. This is because my son was home on leave from the USMC (we rarely see him since he left for the military). He left yesterday afternoon to return to his battery. I miss him already, but it's also nice to be back to having an empty nest. I used to think that when your kids grow up and move away (he's 20 years old), you quit worrying about them. But that's not entirely the case.
  • janetay01
    Options
    As requested - visual blanket update!

uddlcrshz48g.jpg
  • janetay01
    Options
    Jen - blanket update above as requested :smiley: I think you are right - sometimes our bodies do need a big day - just to take the pressure off the logging and do a bit of a reset.

Rachel - well done with the skating progress, I am so clumsy and uncoordinated with that kind of thing so I have great admiration for people who master it. Sounds like you will do fine with getting on to the team - fingers crossed for you!

@wishfuljune - I get patterns both online and from print publications - it is clearly a growing interest in this country so there is no shortage of inspiration out there. It's never really been something I thought was me but I'm really enjoying it. Understand your frustration on the lifting but everyone talking about form is right - that is more important than the actual weight that you lift. You are making brilliant progress - I certainly couldn't shift that weight.

@novten82 - drink water, go for a walk, keep active, keep your hands occupied. You can do this - stick with it and us!

Joy - well done for the NSV and will power - it does feel good when we get it right. Let's focus to the end of the year - and that reminds me, I need to check in and see what my current weight is as I've been avoiding the scales for a while.

@lessismoreohio - sounds like you are doing well to get back on track. My parents tell me you never stop worrying about your kids - my boy is just 22 months so a long way off where you are but I can imagine it will never stop with us. Enjoy having the house back!

So, I've done well this morning - got my workout in nice and early and all set for work. But the nursery have just called to send Alistair home as he is throwing up everywhere - so that's my working week gone :( Hope the day treats you all better!
  • PhedraJD
    Options
    @rachel0778 I think it is great that you are doing so well and sticking to the roller derby. I haven't lost any weight since I went on vacation. I want to scream, but I am holding strong that it will all leave in a big number in the next couple of weeks.

@wishfuljune It was for none of those reasons. I think it is because it is a couple of weeks before ToM and I always get the munchies then. This time it was just stronger than normal and I wasn't able to say no. Yesterday was fine, I was even able to say no to the ice cream.

@novten82 I don't know I didn't ask the doctor. I am not too worried about it. I just eat regular sugar things in a more limited quantity. Her big thing was I was drinking flavored water with sweetener in it. I like them, but it isn't a must have. So I switched to regular water or regular tea. Hopefully you survived your day without too many calories.

@bluepoppies777 Way to go! I like the looking at the calendar part! I was able to say no to the ice cream last night as well. :) Maybe I was channeling a little of you. Don't feel bad, my scale isn't budging either. Nor have I lost any inches.

@lessismoreohio Fantastic job in refocusing. Having your son visit had to be awesome. Him being in the marines will definitely not lessen the worries. I know my mom still worries about me.

@janetay01 Beautiful job! Thanks for the pics. I hope your son feels better soon.

I think that stupid cold is coming back. I felt crappy all day yesterday, and not feeling all that great today. Debating whether I should go home or stick it out at work.
  • Rachel0778
    Options
    @wishfuljune It sounds like you're doing awesome in the weighlifting department! Don't forget how heavy the bar itself is, you're lifting a serious load!

@gemwolf110 Forgetting about dinner?! That's how you know they're cute ;)

@novten82 Get out of the house/work right away and walk outside. Literally walking away from a bad day helps immensely!

@bluepoppies777 That is some serious willpower! Keep it up and that pound will be gone in no time!

@lessismoreohio Great job getting your routine set again!

@janetay01 Illness has been hitting your household hard, hopefully he gets better soon! Your blanket is beautiful, you're making some serious progress! I don't know how you focus on those small stiches for so long!

@jdelaroy sorry to hear you're not feeling well :( Hopefully it passes soon and you're able to get the rest you need

So I started to eat my homemade muffin. 2 bites it, realized it already had mold on it! Yup, my morning is off to a great start. Cross fingers for me I don't end up food poisoning myself out of sheer stupidity. I've got 5 hours worth of meetings and 4 student appointments today so I don't have time to be sick!
  • lessismoreohio
    Options
    @janetay01 --> Thank you for the encouragement. I love the blanket you're making!
    @jdelaroy , @gemwolf110 and @rachel0778 -->Thank you as well for the encouragement; much appreciated.

Today's update: Well I was hungry and ate some Oreo cookies here at work. Wish I hadn't, but I did, and I'm not going to beat myself up too much about it. I'll just move on and do better. I'm still under my total calories for the day and should finish that way.

All of Northeast Ohio is excited for our Cleveland Indians who won the American League Championship Series yesterday and are on their way to the World Series. The nice part is that this Indians team is not only a good baseball team, but they seem to be a good group of young men as well. In interviews, they are very well spoken and courteous.
  • Rachel0778
    Options
    @lessismoreohio Great job still ending up under calories today. Just goes to show you can still incorporate treats and lose weight!

Happy Friday Everyone!!!

l68rr7vyxp8p.jpg
  • wishfuljune
    Options
    Happy Friday everyone!!!

@Rachel0778 - Oh, I hate when that happens with homemade food. Fingers crossed you feel fine today! That meme is definitely me today. :P

@bluepoppies777 - Great job on drinking water instead of having ice cream! I love ice cream too, so I've become a little bit obsessed with Halo Top flavors. :)

@janetay01 - That is a gorgeous blanket!! I bow down to your awesome cross-stitching skills! How is Alistair feeling this morning? Hopefully better!

@jdelaroy - It's that time of year when the colds really start coming out. Take care of your body and relax! It's a lot harder to feel better if you never give your body the chance to fully recover.

@lessismoreohio - Good job on still staying under your calories for the day though. It's okay to have a little treat every now and then, if you can fit it into your calories that is! :)

First training session with the personal trainer last night and it went really great! He's seen my boyfriend and I at the gym, so he wanted to see what we could do. We focused on legs and abs, then finished with some cardio. I think we're going to get along swimmingly. :)

I woke up today with a little scratch in my throat, so I think I'm going to take today off from the gym and try and get to bed early tonight. I brought some tea into work with me so that I can feel cozy on this rainy day at my desk.
  • lessismoreohio
    Options
    Friday afternoon is here and I hope each of you had a great week! Now that my son is back at Camp Pendleton after his 3 week visit (leave), I'll be hitting the road again on business travel. I leave Sunday morning for Virginia and North Carolina. I usually get my walking in when I travel, but I really miss getting to the gym to lift.

Do any of you have any tips you could share for healthy eating, sleep, exercise or other fitness related tips while traveling?