I Love Tacos but...

Options

Replies

• pitbullmamaliz
    pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Tongue is our favorite too! hmotqa8ka30q.jpg

You're my hero. I have a beef tongue that's been in my freezer for quite a while. I desperately want to try it, but I'm terrified of it, LOL. Whenever I read that I'm going to have to peel the flesh off of it, I get the heebie-jeebies. And I'm not squeamish, but something about that.... *shudder*
  • sapphirewind
    sapphirewind Posts: 55 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I've learned to substitute a lot being in Korea...You can just use shredded chicken if you don't have ground chicken or turkey. Also, there is no sour cream so we mix a bit of vinegar into yogurt (usually greek) and it comes out great. Believe it or not I did find corn tortillas... but restaurants here (by the Base or in Seoul) only serve the flour. And avocados are hella expensive (and usually over-ripe), so is most cheese....
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I've learned to substitute a lot being in Korea...You can just use shredded chicken if you don't have ground chicken or turkey. Also, there is no sour cream so we mix a bit of vinegar into yogurt (usually greek) and it comes out great. Believe it or not I did find corn tortillas... but restaurants here (by the Base or in Seoul) only serve the flour. And avocados are hella expensive (and usually over-ripe), so is most cheese....

Tacos are more authentic (if it matters) with shredded chicken, like you are making them now.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    ...Spanish-Mexican cookbook. Only in New Mexico are these things related at all. While Spanish food had had some influence on Mexican cuisine (use of rice, for example) Mexico has multiple rich, complex food cultures that have absolutely NOTHING to do with Spain. My Mexican friends do not recognize my Spanish cooking as anything but foreign.

Another New Mexican checking in here! Órale! Our cookbooks are "New Mexican," a style all its own....the blending of three food cultures, Spanish, Mexican and Native American...we pay homage to all. Tacos are filled with whatever you like/have on hand. I prefer the soft corn tortillas. I love a calabacitas taco....maybe whatever leftover meat I have in the fridge. Local food here is as hotly contested as politics or religion.

I'm not from New Mexico...but I know that the question is...red or green?

Tell me more about calabacitas tacos porfis.

The question is red or green, but the answer is often "Christmas," meaning both. :)

Here in NM, when you hear "calabacitas," most likely its the side dish loosely made of summer squash and/or zucchini, corn, onions and green chile. I like to add black beans. I bet it would be good with some pepitas sprinkled on top. Some people like it with queso fresco crumbles. Delicious in a soft corn tortilla!

Interesting! That sounds good...is it kind of like rajas?

I've never had rajas, but it does look very similar. Poblanos are very mild and sweet, so they can be the star of the dish. For calabacitas we use New Mexico Big Jim chile peppers which can be pretty hot, so they are not such a large component of the dish. My ratio would be something like 1/2 squash, 1/4 onion and 1/4 chile if I get mild chile...less if I have medium hot. I usually leave out the corn and go with red peppers instead for sweetness and color. I use oregano, cumin and garlic for seasoning.

Sounds really good...I bet that I could do something like this with Hatch peppers. I love the flavor but find them a bit hot, so a dish that is predominantly zucchini with just a bit of chile might be a good approach.
  • Mukuma_1
    Mukuma_1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I live on London and have never eaten Tacos either. I try to always take a packed lunch to work. I avoid dips and sauces as they have too much sugar. I was in Vancouver last year and noticed how popular they are but resisted ☺
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    Mukuma_1 wrote: »
    I live on London and have never eaten Tacos either. I try to always take a packed lunch to work. I avoid dips and sauces as they have too much sugar. I was in Vancouver last year and noticed how popular they are but resisted ☺

Give in to the tacos...and the burritos!

Actually, Vancouver is a much better city for Asian food than Latin American, so you might not have missed too much.
  • azulvioleta6
    Options

You're my hero. I have a beef tongue that's been in my freezer for quite a while. I desperately want to try it, but I'm terrified of it, LOL. Whenever I read that I'm going to have to peel the flesh off of it, I get the heebie-jeebies. And I'm not squeamish, but something about that.... *shudder*

I'm not squeamish either, but my SO recently asked if I could make menudo and I physically recoiled. I don't even eat beef, much less want to play around with the stomach lining of a cow!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Mukuma_1 wrote: »

There is no sugar whatsoever in a real salsa verde, tomatillo, chipotle or pico de gallo. :angry:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    bjess8411 wrote: »
    They are so darn high in calories even the soft shell chicken ones, and the worst part is I get mine out of a taco truck and don't know the nutrition info... How do you deal with food when there is no way to figure out calories? Also please Friend me if your looking for friends! I am!

Funny, I thought tacos were really low in calories. When I was doing weight watchers they were about 4 or 5 points a taco so about 180-250 calories. That isn't bad. When I make my own tacos I leave off cheese and sour cream and just use a whole grain, beans, vegetables and salsa and they are very low in calories.

they are very low in calories until you start adding all the stuff to them.
    i generally go with "naked" tacos

TWINS
  • EvgeniZyntx
    edited November 2015
    Options

I'm not squeamish either, but my SO recently asked if I could make menudo and I physically recoiled. I don't even eat beef, much less want to play around with the stomach lining of a cow!

It's the beef feet and ligaments that are sort of the worst. And 6 hrs prep time.

You can make menudo de pollo without beef. Easier too.
  • blkandwhite77
    blkandwhite77 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Carne Asada tacos, chicken tacos, fish tacos, shrimp tacos oh my. I want one of each with tons of onions and cilantro and spicy hot salsa or white sauce. Ok must drive to the taco stand street tomorrow!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Menudo is a gift from the heavens. A little oregano and chopped onion, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice...yum.

(Just a huero here who thinks that a life without good Mexican food isn't worth living!)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options

Ha, just throw it in the crockpot low and slow and the flesh comes right off. I was a vegetarian for 7 years and hardly cooked or ate meat. My husband is a huge meat eater so we often end up with meats from the slaughterhouse still warm. I have to physically go outside if he's cutting off feet or heads. Tongue was nothing compared to that!
  • pitbullmamaliz
    pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
    Options

Ha, just throw it in the crockpot low and slow and the flesh comes right off. I was a vegetarian for 7 years and hardly cooked or ate meat. My husband is a huge meat eater so we often end up with meats from the slaughterhouse still warm. I have to physically go outside if he's cutting off feet or heads. Tongue was nothing compared to that!

I completely bow to your awesomeness! LOL What goes in the crockpot with the scary tongue?
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    If I'm trying to lower the calories I'll take one hard shell taco (homemade, but imagine a taco bell taco) and crumble it over a big bed of lettuce. Add a Tbsp of ranch dressing and I've got a taco salad. Still get all the flavor out of that one little taco with a lot more volume. Usually just under 300 calories.

Boggles my mind that other countries do not embrace our America taco obsession. I mean, Taco Tuesday!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options

I completely bow to your awesomeness! LOL What goes in the crockpot with the scary tongue?

Lol @ scary tongue. Just a little bit of liquid, sliced onions and some seasoning. I can't remember exactly how we did that one, but it came out delicious. Maybe I need to pick another one up. Even my 8 year old likes it (huge beef lover).
  • azulvioleta6
    Options

It's the beef feet and ligaments that are sort of the worst. And 6 hrs prep time.

You can make menudo de pollo without beef. Easier too.

Intriguing...

I developed a good recipe last year for a chicken and wild mushroom posole...so hopefully that will distract him from the menudo idea...if I can find the recipe!

Going to agree that authentic Mexican sauces don't have sugar...sometimes things like green tomato or tomatillo sauce TASTE like they do, but it's just because the fruit is so sweet to begin with.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,523 Member
    Options
    "I love tacos but..."

I know what all those words mean individually, but not arranged in a sentence like that. It should read "But I love tacos!"
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    crb426 wrote: »
    If I'm trying to lower the calories I'll take one hard shell taco (homemade, but imagine a taco bell taco) and crumble it over a big bed of lettuce. Add a Tbsp of ranch dressing and I've got a taco salad. Still get all the flavor out of that one little taco with a lot more volume. Usually just under 300 calories.

Boggles my mind that other countries do not embrace our America taco obsession. I mean, Taco Tuesday!

It seems like in the UK, Indian food is the cheap takeout of choice rather than Mexican.

On the other hand Indian food is not so widely known or available in the US.

Plus proximity, history, etc.
  • olive1968
    olive1968 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    This thread may have produced the opposite affect of how to control my calories for the day.

Want all. the. tacos.