I Love Tacos but...

Options
1234568»

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I prefer high volume so I eat it in taco salad form.
  • Coley88
    Coley88 Posts: 114 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    ...Spanish-Mexican cookbook. Only in New Mexico are these things related at all. While Spanish food had had some influence on Mexican cuisine (use of rice, for example) Mexico has multiple rich, complex food cultures that have absolutely NOTHING to do with Spain. My Mexican friends do not recognize my Spanish cooking as anything but foreign.

Another New Mexican checking in here! Órale! Our cookbooks are "New Mexican," a style all its own....the blending of three food cultures, Spanish, Mexican and Native American...we pay homage to all. Tacos are filled with whatever you like/have on hand. I prefer the soft corn tortillas. I love a calabacitas taco....maybe whatever leftover meat I have in the fridge. Local food here is as hotly contested as politics or religion.

I'm not from New Mexico...but I know that the question is...red or green?

Tell me more about calabacitas tacos porfis.

The question is red or green, but the answer is often "Christmas," meaning both. :)

Here in NM, when you hear "calabacitas," most likely its the side dish loosely made of summer squash and/or zucchini, corn, onions and green chile. I like to add black beans. I bet it would be good with some pepitas sprinkled on top. Some people like it with queso fresco crumbles. Delicious in a soft corn tortilla!

I disagree, the answer is ALWAYS green!
  • soulofgrace
    soulofgrace Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Coley88 wrote: »
    ...Spanish-Mexican cookbook. Only in New Mexico are these things related at all. While Spanish food had had some influence on Mexican cuisine (use of rice, for example) Mexico has multiple rich, complex food cultures that have absolutely NOTHING to do with Spain. My Mexican friends do not recognize my Spanish cooking as anything but foreign.

Another New Mexican checking in here! Órale! Our cookbooks are "New Mexican," a style all its own....the blending of three food cultures, Spanish, Mexican and Native American...we pay homage to all. Tacos are filled with whatever you like/have on hand. I prefer the soft corn tortillas. I love a calabacitas taco....maybe whatever leftover meat I have in the fridge. Local food here is as hotly contested as politics or religion.

I'm not from New Mexico...but I know that the question is...red or green?

Tell me more about calabacitas tacos porfis.

The question is red or green, but the answer is often "Christmas," meaning both. :)

Here in NM, when you hear "calabacitas," most likely its the side dish loosely made of summer squash and/or zucchini, corn, onions and green chile. I like to add black beans. I bet it would be good with some pepitas sprinkled on top. Some people like it with queso fresco crumbles. Delicious in a soft corn tortilla!

I disagree, the answer is ALWAYS green!

Both on the side for me!
  • Thisnameischosen
    Thisnameischosen Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    Iv never had a taco
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Iv never had a taco

You have my sincere condolences.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    12219473_1006640242706548_7657124748907380217_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=0f616f1a855889ce16ce7d07dd00045b&oe=56F3953F
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    It seems like in the UK, Indian food is the cheap takeout of choice rather than Mexican.

On the other hand Indian food is not so widely known or available in the US.

Plus proximity, history, etc.

Having eaten both Indian food and tacos/Mexican food, there's no comparison for me - !Viva México!
  • arditarose
    Options
    I don't get the taco thing. They're so small. Would rather eat a burrito
  • robertw486
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I'm not trying to be creepy, but you're dealing with the wrong tacos!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Why not both? :smile:
  • arditarose
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »

I'm not trying to be creepy, but you're dealing with the wrong tacos!

No. Trust me. I've seen great tacos. They are small.
  • arditarose
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Why not both? :smile:

I ask my short, lightly active, decently light body that all the time.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    crb426 wrote: »
    If I'm trying to lower the calories I'll take one hard shell taco (homemade, but imagine a taco bell taco) and crumble it over a big bed of lettuce. Add a Tbsp of ranch dressing and I've got a taco salad. Still get all the flavor out of that one little taco with a lot more volume. Usually just under 300 calories.

Boggles my mind that other countries do not embrace our America taco obsession. I mean, Taco Tuesday!

It seems like in the UK, Indian food is the cheap takeout of choice rather than Mexican.

Actually the direct comparison may be more likely to be the Doner Kebab ...hand held, bread wrap, meat / salad, relatively cheap and a "got to have a Doner when drunk" mentality

Although tbh they are less popular now

article-1285867551259-0b6bec70000005dc-354519_362x220.jpg

In terms of take out we have world cuisines: Indian and Chinese most popular but can also get thai, Vietnamese, Japanese...Mexican really isn't up there in our psyche

I blame the paprika (eurgh)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Having eaten both Indian food and tacos/Mexican food, there's no comparison for me - !Viva México!

I've had Indian food in the States ...it's not good
  • robertw486
    edited November 2015
    Options
    giphy.gif

tumblr_inline_nskfauHl9n1tt6268_500.png

The lower one was posted in another thread by @rabbitjb I think she is seeking professional help with her lack of taco eating skillz.... we should support her.