Salt Water Flush?

Options

Replies

• soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    A salt water flush is at best going to dehydrate you. I wouldn't bother.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I thought sodium caused water retention? Anyway, aside from adding salt to the water, wouldn't just drinking plain old water be the best way to go? What is the salt going to do aside from the obvious?

Not that you're going to cleanse anything that your body doesn't already take care of, but drinking plenty of fluids is healthy anyway.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    The whole salt water flush thing sounds like a real bad time and not a lot of fun.
    Stick with eating healthy and let your body do it's thing
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Now if you were prepping for a colonoscopy you would have my biggest of sympathies.
  • Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    tinab190 wrote: »
    I've managed to lose over 73 lbs slowly and successfully with healthy eating, moderate exercise 3-4 times a week, and occasional indulgences. All while never doing a cleanse. I don't feel a need to justify the question. Was curious about any health benefits of such things. I'm going to not comment any further as I already hear the start of the tone changing.

Good luck and much success to all.

Nothing is changing, the vast majority responding don't think it is healthy and have taken time to say so. This site has a lot to offer, but yes men and women isn't part of it.

• kissedbythesunshine
    Options
    I'm just here for the comments B)
  • kissedbythesunshine
    Options
    If it's going to make me look like Beyonce I'm all for it
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    What you get won't be hate, it will be a litany of comments that highlight there is no scientific basis for things such as cleanses/detoxes/flushes. The entire principle of them is flawed. At best, they are useless. At worst, they are potentially dangerous.

Name one thing a "master cleanse" removes from your body that is not already removed by normal bodily processes.

All of what Brian said...

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    It's bunk. This is just another one of the "health" myths being passed around by people who are unknowledgable in nutrition and physiology. Plus you're ingesting salt. As if one doesn't need any more in today's foods. Especially not recommended if there's an issue with high blood pressure.
    You've been doing fine without it. Don't succumb to pressures by those who want to believe they've "helped" you by having you doing some "cleanse" that doesn't have scientific support.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • skysiebaby
    skysiebaby Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    This is a good little read regarding detoxes like a Salt Water Flush and Master Cleanse...and how they are utter BS.

http://modernhealthmonk.com/detox-truth-or-a-marketing-scam/
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    I haven't and you're going to get a lot of hate for asking this question. I don't think there's anything based in science that says this will help you to your goals but there's always the outliers. Maybe you're one of them. We're all different and what works for one might not work for the next. Good luck!

Absolutely not this ^^^

Your invasion of the body snatchers act is getting a little repetitive now @brower47

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Our bodies flush themselves, so it's unnecessary. WTG on your incredible loss!

This
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1159755/looking-for-a-detox-cleanse/p1

Wasn't there a thread around here ages ago detailing some of the dangers of the Master Cleanse? Anyone have a link to it?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you drank enough salt, it could kill you. Most people would vomit it up before dying, but if they didn't, they'd die.

Don't drink salty water. There is no benefit to be gained and there is some danger involved. It is a very foolish thing to do. So, just don't.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    tinab190 wrote: »
    I've managed to lose over 73 lbs slowly and successfully with healthy eating, moderate exercise 3-4 times a week, and occasional indulgences. All while never doing a cleanse. I don't feel a need to justify the question. Was curious about any health benefits of such things. I'm going to not comment any further as I already hear the start of the tone changing.

Good luck and much success to all.

You've been very successful without a cleanse, so why would you add it now? It seems very unpleasant, and maybe a little dangerous with respect to electrolyte balance. Have you consulted a physician?
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Water, water, everywhere,
    Nor any drop to drink.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I haven't and you're going to get a lot of hate for asking this question. I don't think there's anything based in science that says this will help you to your goals but there's always the outliers. Maybe you're one of them. We're all different and what works for one might not work for the next. Good luck!

Absolutely not this ^^^

Your invasion of the body snatchers act is getting a little repetitive now @brower47

OMG Yes! Thanks for saying this!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Absolutely not this ^^^

If we do not change to suit the times and wishes of our masters, we are doomed to extinction.

OP. I hope these people have not offended you. Their outright dismissal of alternatives, no matter how lacking in medical science rational, is not a reflection of you. Good luck on your many faceted journey.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    krithsai wrote: »

Absolutely not this ^^^

OMG Yes! Thanks for saying this!

Mom sorry your thread is being derailed, OP. You have my sympathies.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options

Absolutely not this ^^^

If we do not change to suit the times and wishes of our masters, we are doomed to extinction.

OP. I hope these people have not offended you. Their outright dismissal of alternatives, no matter how lacking in medical science rational, is not a reflection of you. Good luck on your many faceted journey.

The burden of proof is on the person who's touting these "alternatives". And if this type of questioning is "offensive", maybe one needs to re-evaluate their strategy.
This discussion has been closed.