Options

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    brower47 wrote: »
    I haven't and you're going to get a lot of hate for asking this question. I don't think there's anything based in science that says this will help you to your goals but there's always the outliers. Maybe you're one of them. We're all different and what works for one might not work for the next. Good luck!

Absolutely not this ^^^

Your invasion of the body snatchers act is getting a little repetitive now @brower47

Repetitive? I see it more as consistent...and consistency is the key to success.

We're all here for the same reason...

...and that reason is to find out what works for each and every one of our individual bodies.
    Pouring salt into the body will not work for anyone. If they're lucky, they'll get out unscathed. If they're not, they'll get sick and maybe die.

This isn't just another wacky way to lose weight. This is actually dangerous.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Liver and kidneys working?

If yes:
    No need to detox or cleanse or flush.

If no:
    Go to hospital.

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    tinab190 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever tried a saltwater flush...

Is it in taffy? Because if its in taffy, do it. Otherwise, avoid.
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1159755/looking-for-a-detox-cleanse/p1

Wasn't there a thread around here ages ago detailing some of the dangers of the Master Cleanse? Anyone have a link to it?
    The one thing that stuck with me was the person who said she "couldn't go to the bathroom right" for two weeks afterward. At first I thought, what does she mean? She needs to be more descriptive! Then I realized that "couldn't go to the bathroom right" is all I need to know. Whatever it was, it was bad.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I've managed to lose over 73 lbs slowly and successfully with healthy eating, moderate exercise 3-4 times a week, and occasional indulgences. All while never doing a cleanse. I don't feel a need to justify the question. Was curious about any health benefits of such things. I'm going to not comment any further as I already hear the start of the tone changing.

Good luck and much success to all.

@tinab190, congrats on your weight loss!

Just to give you an idea of what salt water does to you, Epson salt flushes were one of my practices as a 21 year old bulimic. It acted as a quick painful laxative.

wow this is the first time i have heard of this type of thing.
    krithsai wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I've managed to lose over 73 lbs slowly and successfully with healthy eating, moderate exercise 3-4 times a week, and occasional indulgences. All while never doing a cleanse. I don't feel a need to justify the question. Was curious about any health benefits of such things. I'm going to not comment any further as I already hear the start of the tone changing.

Good luck and much success to all.

@tinab190, congrats on your weight loss!

Just to give you an idea of what salt water does to you, Epson salt flushes were one of my practices as a 21 year old bulimic. It acted as a quick painful laxative.

Oh good lord! That sounds scary and painful!

Unfortunately, it was part of my reality. Never again.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I haven't and you're going to get a lot of hate for asking this question. I don't think there's anything based in science that says this will help you to your goals but there's always the outliers. Maybe you're one of them. We're all different and what works for one might not work for the next. Good luck!

Absolutely not this ^^^

Your invasion of the body snatchers act is getting a little repetitive now @brower47

Repetitive? I see it more as consistent...and consistency is the key to success.

We're all here for the same reason...

...and that reason is to find out what works for each and every one of our individual bodies.
    Pouring salt into the body will not work for anyone. If they're lucky, they'll get out unscathed. If they're not, they'll get sick and maybe die.

This isn't just another wacky way to lose weight. This is actually dangerous.

Agreed.
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Well, bleeding was a common medical and accepted practice at one point.

And you don't think that we have moved beyond that in our understanding of biology and medicine?
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Well, bleeding was a common medical and accepted practice at one point.

And you don't think that we have moved beyond that in our understanding of biology and medicine?

Dialysis? What is this, the dark ages?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Until you've actually done it yourself, you shouldn't disagree with it...

...or even challenge or question it...

...or have an opinion about it...

...or even post in the thread.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever tried a saltwater flush...

Is it in taffy? Because if its in taffy, do it. Otherwise, avoid.

This guy is right. Now I want taffy!
  • ZeXea
    ZeXea Posts: 168 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

THIS.
    /being sarcastic and forgot to add that in so ugh on me!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    ZeXea wrote: »

THIS.

This is ridiculous. I don't have to have undergone a salt water flush in order to understand that it is potentially dangerous and will not produce the results that the OP is looking for. In the same vein, I don't have to shoot myself in the head with a shotgun to know that's it wouldn't be a good way to part my hair.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

THIS.

Yeah no.

Some things can be labeled as useless or potentially dangerous or both by evaluating available information and not necessarily trying it.

This would be one of those things.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

THIS.

The OP has had fainting problems and is worried about her electrolytes. I don't have to experience a gut wrenching cleanse to know that she has a right to be concerned about her health during one.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying heroin either. I can save myself many nasty lessons by learning from the experience of others. No salt water purging for me, nor will I ever cheer anyone on who wants to try it.

OP, keep on with your successful diet.
  • ZeXea
    Options
    Im sorry, my jokes are apparently awful. It was supposed to be sarcastic/not actually serious.
    Ugh I should remember to write /sarcasm next time.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

I've never been shot, either, but I'm not going to do that to myself to find out that it could hurt me or kill me.

These salt deals are dangerous. More dangerous than laxatives.

It isn't a wacky weight loss strategy. It's a very foolish and dangerous thing to do.
  • ZeXea
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

I've never been shot, either, but I'm not going to do that to myself to find out that it could hurt me or kill me.

These salt deals are dangerous. More dangerous than laxatives.

It isn't a wacky weight loss strategy. It's a very foolish and dangerous thing to do.

Wait is the person you are replying to being serious? I thought they were being sarcastic/humorous, hence my inappropriate response.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Im sorry, my jokes are apparently awful. It was supposed to be sarcastic/not actually serious.
    Ugh I should remember to write /sarcasm next time.

It can be hard when you're new. There are some people I see here so often that I have some grasp on their sense of humor. But there are still plenty of times when I can't tell when a regular poster is being sarcastic. Tone and text are hard. :drinker:
  • Coolhandkid
    Coolhandkid Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Sadly, long before I knew about this place I was trying nonsense like this. In fact, I tried the Master Cleanse specifically. I was on it for 8+ days; at that point I was sleeping 14 hrs and had zero energy.

In retrospect it was a horrific thing to do to my body. You drink ~30 ounces of water with a ton of salt in it and it goes right through you. You CANNOT GO ANYWHERE until it passes, usually 45 minutes to an hour later. That is your body rejecting the beverage you have chosen. If your body didn't pass it there would be significant ramifications to imbibing so much salt in such fashion.

The article linked was pretty much spot on. If you seriously think its good to force feed yourself a dangerous amount of sodium, what are you doing it for? Its simply asting as a diuretic. Seems like there should be better ways to do that...

Especially for the OP, you have had significant success. You have eschewed quick fixes in lieu of eating right and minimizing calories. Why do this now?
This discussion has been closed.