Options

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    ZeXea wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Until you've actually done it yourself, you shouldn't disagree with it...

...or even challenge or question it...

...or have an opinion about it...

...or even post in the thread.
    I've never been shot, either, but I'm not going to do that to myself to find out that it could hurt me or kill me.

These salt deals are dangerous. More dangerous than laxatives.

It isn't a wacky weight loss strategy. It's a very foolish and dangerous thing to do.

Wait is the person you are replying to being serious? I thought they were being sarcastic/humorous, hence my inappropriate response.
    I assume people mean what they say.

I cannot see it being intended as a joke because it's not funny in any way. Maybe they thought it was, I don't know.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you know how it is dangerous to drink sea water? That's because of the salt.

You could do serious damage to your organs by drinking salt water. It's really quite stupid and totally unnecessary.
  • ZeXea
    ZeXea Posts: 168 Member
    Options

I've never been shot, either, but I'm not going to do that to myself to find out that it could hurt me or kill me.

It isn't a wacky weight loss strategy. It's a very foolish and dangerous thing to do.

Wait is the person you are replying to being serious? I thought they were being sarcastic/humorous, hence my inappropriate response.

I cannot see it being intended as a joke because it's not funny in any way. Maybe they thought it was, I don't know.

oh ok! I thought it was a joke because of the '...' and the very last line of 'dont comment on it'. But I could very well be completely misreading it. I assumed with the post of the picture at the top of the page it got a bit funny in here.
  • ZeXea
    ZeXea Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Im sorry, my jokes are apparently awful. It was supposed to be sarcastic/not actually serious.
    Ugh I should remember to write /sarcasm next time.

It can be hard when you're new. There are some people I see here so often that I have some grasp on their sense of humor. But there are still plenty of times when I can't tell when a regular poster is being sarcastic. Tone and text are hard. :drinker:

Thank you :) Ill try to be more careful or make it more obvious next time. :)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

He was joking. It was sarcasm. You are fine - the fact that you caught on that it was sarcasm and responded in kind caught people off guard, they thought you were serious and agreeing with him.

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Just as some will experience success with certain diet approaches where others fail, some will get the humor in a statement where others fail to do so.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    tinab190 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever tried a saltwater flush. It is often part of a master cleanse. I'm not planning to do a master cleanse, but was considering the salt water flush after my daughter did it and told me about it. My only concern is that years ago I used to have fainting problems. I think a saltwater flush could mess with my electrolytes. Just wondering what anybody else's experience with it might be.

My daughter has clinically chronic constipation, and there have been times she's been severely "backed up", and we have had to flush her out. While it will work, using Epsom salts can actually cause bowel dependency, and is not recommended. I would suggest if you are trying to flush your colon you engage your GP. There is a myriad of other things you have to be aware of if you have this level of constipation, and there are much more effective medications for bowel elimination that will not cause dependency.

It doesn't sound like constipation is your issue though.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/130517-dangers-salt-water-cleanse/

Salt cleanses are used to clean out the colon. They are sometimes performed alone--usually for people who are feeling constipation--or as part of another cleansing process such as a juice fast or the Master Cleanse. The usual recipe for the salt water cleanse is to add two teaspoons of salt to one quart of boiling water. Some people add lime or lemon juice to help the taste, and this will neither help nor hurt the cleanse. You may drink the water all at once and wait for the effect, or you may drink portions of it throughout the day for a more drawn-out, but not as explosive an effect. As with all treatments, though, the salt cleanse does have some side effects and is not recommended for everyone.
    Dehydration

It may sound counter-intuitive, but drinking a quart of salt water on an empty stomach can actually cause dehydration, according to Dr. Michael Picco, a gastroenterologist with the Mayo Clinic. The cleanse is designed to clean out the colon by stimulating bowel movement. Sometimes this leads to copious diarrhea, which in turn, causes dehydration. Dr. Picco recommends drinking water throughout the day if you are doing a salt flush or any detox regimen.

Electrolyte Imbalance

The amount of salt in the drink can cause the kidneys to work overtime and, coupled with the water rushing through your system, can cause your electrolytes to get out of balance--similar to what happens when you get dehydrated. Electrolytes stay in balance by the body having a balanced amount of fluid. If you are over-hydrated or dehydrated, problems can occur, according to the experts at Merck Pharmaceutical. An electrolyte imbalance can cause heart rhythm disturbances, muscle problems, confusion and even death.

Vomiting

A salt water cleanse is not tolerated by everyone and can cause vomiting. Vomiting may not be deadly, but it can cause tearing in the esophagus as well as muscle aches. Most people give up on the salt water flush if they have this reaction, but repeated tries can damage your throat and mouth.

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Sorry... it is major BS.
    Have you research this? Have you read about other peoples experiences? Many list nausea, vomiting, dizziness as a side effect... not pleasant and not worth it. SWC does much more harm than good... you'll mess up your electrolyte balance. even if it is mentioned that the body won't ingest that salt... it will.

All cleanses are BS... livers and kidneys are better at 'detoxing'
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I've managed to lose over 73 lbs slowly and successfully with healthy eating, moderate exercise 3-4 times a week, and occasional indulgences. All while never doing a cleanse. I don't feel a need to justify the question. Was curious about any health benefits of such things. I'm going to not comment any further as I already hear the start of the tone changing.

Good luck and much success to all.

@tinab190, congrats on your weight loss!

Just to give you an idea of what salt water does to you, Epson salt flushes were one of my practices as a 21 year old bulimic. It acted as a quick painful laxative.

wow this is the first time i have heard of this type of thing.
    krithsai wrote: »
    I've managed to lose over 73 lbs slowly and successfully with healthy eating, moderate exercise 3-4 times a week, and occasional indulgences. All while never doing a cleanse. I don't feel a need to justify the question. Was curious about any health benefits of such things. I'm going to not comment any further as I already hear the start of the tone changing.

Good luck and much success to all.

@tinab190, congrats on your weight loss!

Just to give you an idea of what salt water does to you, Epson salt flushes were one of my practices as a 21 year old bulimic. It acted as a quick painful laxative.

Oh good lord! That sounds scary and painful!

Unfortunately, it was part of my reality. Never again.

Same here. Worst. Decision. Ever.
    I don't know why I would get a lot of hate for asking the question. It's a legit question. I eat INCREDIBLY healthy. It's a legitimately curious question. I don't know anything about it or if there are any health benefits. That's WHY I am asking.
    Hate? No, not hate. The replies are simply alerting you to this very dangerous practice. It's not to be taken lightly. They're simply trying to stop something bad from happening.
    There is absolutely no need for detoxing. None.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    [yoovieblink.gif]
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    Well, bleeding was a common medical and accepted practice at one point.

And you don't think that we have moved beyond that in our understanding of biology and medicine?

Dialysis? What is this, the dark ages?

Dialysis is not blood letting (bleeding).
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    OP - if you're still around, generally the sensible thing to ask yourself with a 'cleanse' is - would I take a bunch of laxatives if I was not constipated, just to spend a day on the toilet? If the answer is no - don't do a cleanse.

And frankly, if the answer is yes - you may need some help.

'Cleanses' are generally a polite veneer for using a product to irritate your gastric system into purging. AKA laxative abuse.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    There's a reason why they tell you not to drink sea water, and it's not because of the fish poop.

The salt water will cause you to become dehydrated. And yes, dehydration can send you to the hospital and cause all sorts of problems.

Best to skip it. And don't drink water with fish poop either. ;)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    There's a reason why they tell you not to drink sea water, and it's not because of the fish poop.

The salt water will cause you to become dehydrated. And yes, dehydration can send you to the hospital and cause all sorts of problems.

Funny story - so my old flatmat had two dog, boxers. They were gorgeous. Anyway, one day he loads them in the station wagon and takes them to the beach for the day. Fun had by all, but one of the dogs drinks a heap of salt water.

On the drive home, he is on the freeway doing about 110km/hr, and all of a sudden the dog starts freaking out. Next second - projectile diareah. Being a dog (and not a clever one at that), the dog starts trying to look at its butt to see whats going on so basically starts spinning around, spraying liquid poop the whole time. There's poop all over the windows, the seats, the other dog, the back of my flatmates head... yeah.

He gets into the energency lane and pulls over and gets the dog out but the damage is done. He had to finish the 40 minute drive home in a poop lined car, with two dogs covered in poop, and covered in poop himself. The car never recovered, despite multiple detailings.

So yeah.

Don't do a salt water flush.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options

Funny story - so my old flatmat had two dog, boxers. They were gorgeous. Anyway, one day he loads them in the station wagon and takes them to the beach for the day. Fun had by all, but one of the dogs drinks a heap of salt water.

On the drive home, he is on the freeway doing about 110km/hr, and all of a sudden the dog starts freaking out. Next second - projectile diareah. Being a dog (and not a clever one at that), the dog starts trying to look at its butt to see whats going on so basically starts spinning around, spraying liquid poop the whole time. There's poop all over the windows, the seats, the other dog, the back of my flatmates head... yeah.

He gets into the energency lane and pulls over and gets the dog out but the damage is done. He had to finish the 40 minute drive home in a poop lined car, with two dogs covered in poop, and covered in poop himself. The car never recovered, despite multiple detailings.

So yeah.

Don't do a salt water flush. [/quote]

Lol

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

So yeah.

Don't do a salt water flush.

Oh Em Gee.

decadd7edb6b1014ca0cb7a1afcb8ea3.png
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    lacking in medical science rational

Ah, glad to see that you brought it back to the reason that no one thinks the salt water cleanse is good idea ;-)

It still is used, just for very specific problems. Same thing with leeches, they are once again accepted as a legitimate treatment.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the replies yet, as just seeing the topic sent shivers up my spine... I did the salt water flush twice, both times to fix constipation problems..
    Drinking warm water with a ton of Himalayan rock salt was a most revolting concoction. But on top of that, Both times after nearly finishing the bottle, which was a monumental struggle, I projectile vomited, luckily i was sitting outside when it happened.
    Never, ever again :confounded:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

And you don't think that we have moved beyond that in our understanding of biology and medicine?

Bleeding is still used for a few iron and other metal-accumulation or blood thickening related diseases like hemochromatosis, polycythemia, porphyria, Wilsons when chelation isn't possible. It can be quite effective.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Oh and there's ZERO health benefits to doing this, other than unblocking you..
This discussion has been closed.