Dealing with FOOD DIARY police

Options
I have an open food diary to my "friends". On 2 different occasions I've had people Personal message me to give me advice on what I should be eating. I'm not talking about the comments I've gotten when I complained about hitting a plateau, or when I expressed concern when I went on a sugar binge. To my thinking, if you post something about how you maybe didn't do well one day, you probably just have to accept that people will give food advice. But that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about someone that PMs me and says by the way...you'll lose weight a lot faster if you follow my crazy diet of the month where I eat bacon & sausage 3 times a day.
I don't knock anyone for trying something new, it's their health and their life, but my approach is a lot different this time and I don't appreciate people trying to "convert" me.
My background is that while I've never been BMI overweight, I yoyoed up and down and had trouble staying at my "perfect" weight. I tried most of the latest diets of the month over the years and decided I was going to take my normal eating style and make it work for me with logging. So far it has, as my weight is currently the lowest it's been in 15 years,and I'm only 6 lbs from my goal.
Am I being overly sensitive, or is this as rude and presumtuous as if feels to me?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I would delete so fast. Boom
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    Yep. Flip 'em the bird and unfriend.

I am however intrigued by this diet that involves bacon and sausage three times a day. Yum!
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I've had it happen a few times...As long as they aren't being rude I just try to be diplomatic and end the conversation. We all have to do this our own way, and I totally understand where you're coming from. When it happens in RL, I tend to just stay super quiet lately...I don't want to convert anyone else as much as I don't want them to convert me..lol
  • kissedbythesunshine
    Options
    I had someone who did that to me. I immediately hit the delete friend button. Now I have a disclaimer on my page to not even send me a request if you're one of the stuck up people. You work your program and let me work mine. Unless of course I ask for help or post a rant.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 80 lbs eating what I want in moderation. My diary is open too. If anyone ever commented id kindly say to myob, my journey is my own. They'd get one pass then unfriend if they continued to police me
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Some people feel that an open diary is an invitation to comment on everything they feel is wrong with how you are eating.

I keep mine completely private. My way of eating is working for me and, unless I specifically ask for advice, it's not anyone else's business.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Someone suggesting a fad diet is literally the fastest way off my friends list...
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I would never offer advice on someones diary unless they asked.
    Some people think they know more than they do and feel the need to share their 'wisdom'.
    DELETE
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Very rude!! Delete immediately!! buh-bye!!!
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I mean I think it the latest fad diet because I can't even tell you what it is really about, except when I look at their diary I see lots of meat and fat. I'm NoT judging but since I'm not a big meat eater I feel greasy just reading their diary, but I'd NEVER tell them that.LOL.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Never had this happen to me.
    You control who is on your friend list. Unfriend them.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Delete them. The only time I ever say anything about someones diary, is if they are under eating consistently.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Delete them. The only time I ever say anything about someones diary, is if they are under eating consistently.

Me too, and that is the other way off my list. Log 800 calories of lettuce, then post a 5 hour workout, and do that every day for months... yeah, no.
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I mean I think it the latest fad diet because I can't even tell you what it is really about, except when I look at their diary I see lots of meat and fat. I'm NoT judging but since I'm not a big meat eater I feel greasy just reading their diary, but I'd NEVER tell them that.LOL.

Right! Out of respect. I get that. Lol to greasy.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Some of my friends are people I have known in real life since for many years, one is a relative. I critique him occasionally, usually because he posts a really inflated burn. But all the others I try only to be supportive. Occasionally I will get a challenge, I am not interested in, but not like what you are referring too. I am not shy about giving "friends" the boot.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    My reaction would depend on context and who was sending the message. Either a "thanks, but no thanks" or delete.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I have deleted friends in the past, but only because I felt they were on MFP for every reason BUT weight loss, health & fitness. Oh, and one other time when s group of 3 had a lot of personal jokes. Must have been friends outside of MFP , also rude.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    That is weird! I would unfriend! I've unfriended a few people who tried to get me to subscribe to their newsletters etc. But the food police are news to me!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    This is why my diary is private, even to friends.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I eat junk food all the time....Pizza, burgers, burritos, you name it and I've never had anyone ever say a single thing about what I eat. If anyone ever did ...ohhh man stand back. They would regret that day. Then they would be deleated.