The deal on sugar

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    cggp8cu8bhkg.jpg

Actually I think it's fairly high on the ignorance scale when the discussion you had with @kkenseth regarding the current position of scientific thinking, complete with further information and links to read, is discounted in favour of a pat conspiracy-style graphic

I don't even begin to get this kind of thought process - I thought you were going to read the studies and come back with something that adds to the discussion
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    kkenseth wrote: »
    Looking into ketones as a treatment for Alzheimer's might be interesting for you, as a nursing student.

are these actually good for alzheimer's? came to comment on original post but saw this and got sidetracked. My grandpop has alzheimer's and dementia and we're always looking for something that might help him hang around with us a little longer.

Try the book Alzheimer's Disease: What if There Was a Cure? By Mary Newport MD. Ketones or MCTs are used in clinical trials, which consistent success to treat Alzheimer's. I read it after going LCHF and being startled by the obvious improvement in my cognitive abilities.

I stayed out of this thread until now, but I can't keep quiet on this one. That book is anecdotal, non evidenced based and completely subjective. The author is a neonatologist who gave her husband coconut oil and claimed she saw improvement. I see improvement from time to time in Alzheimer's patients as well - who sundown the night before and look fabulous the next morning. There are no scientific based studies that back any of these claims up and it's false hope to claim someone can improve when there is absolutely no evidence to show any decrease in brain atrophy. Alzheimer's is a terrifying disease and it scares me that people give out advice like this without having evidence behind it because it's just not true and giving false hope with words like "cure" is ridiculous and cruel. What helps is cognitive training, proven medications, and interaction with family and friends.

It sounds like the improvements her husband saw were fairly large and consistent. She had wanted him in clinical trials but he was too far gone to qualify. She gathered as many details as possible and mimicked the clinical trials as much as she could.

Yes, the book is anecdotal but there is probably something to it. Alzheimer's is thought by some to be a form of insulin resistance that affects the brain, sort of like PCOS and NAFLD are thought to also be types of IR. If the brain is experiencing IR, it makes sense to give the body a fuel where it can make ketones so the brain gets the energy it needs.

No it may not work for all, but since there is no harm in trying a ketogenic diet, or just adding MCTs or coconut oil to a diet in lieu of some carbs, why not give it a try?

While you're now posing that "curing" Alzheimers was never mentioned, I will bring up that you replied to a thread asking for help with a loved one with a book that uses the word "cure" in it's title and has no science yet to back it up. That makes me sad because she may run off and insist on a ketogenic diet for her grandfather with grandiose hopes that it will help him.

Your point in saying "there is not harm in trying a ketogenic diet" is naiive. I have patient families come into my facility constantly telling me about this new "treatment" or "cure" they read on the internet including diet modification. Don't you think that if there were evidence behind any of these things and that "it wouldn't hurt to try" that medical professionals wouldn't be trying it? I'm not saying the medical field is perfect, but why would patients be denied such a simple answer if it were effective?

You're also forgetting that it's not as simple as "just trying it." Diet modification for a person with Alzheimer's can mean the difference between eating 100% of a meal and eating nothing. The decline of Alzheimer's most always includes a loss of taste, dysphagia and texture/taste aversion. Completely changing their diet could result in malnutrition, aversion to food and ultimately the need for alternate methods of nutrition. It's not that simple.

It's not always that hard either.

I didn't name the book. And the book isn't called Cure of Alzheimer's. It's called Alzheimer's: What if There is a cure? ... What if? It may not be a cure for all but it could be worth trying. Add cream to coffee, make a few PB or chocolate coconut oil fat bombs to have as snacks, try cooking a grilled cheese sandwich with coconut oil instead of butter. This isn't that extreme. It could be worth a try. All I'm saying.
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Looking into ketones as a treatment for Alzheimer's might be interesting for you, as a nursing student.

are these actually good for alzheimer's? came to comment on original post but saw this and got sidetracked. My grandpop has alzheimer's and dementia and we're always looking for something that might help him hang around with us a little longer.

Try the book Alzheimer's Disease: What if There Was a Cure? By Mary Newport MD. Ketones or MCTs are used in clinical trials, which consistent success to treat Alzheimer's. I read it after going LCHF and being startled by the obvious improvement in my cognitive abilities.

I stayed out of this thread until now, but I can't keep quiet on this one. That book is anecdotal, non evidenced based and completely subjective. The author is a neonatologist who gave her husband coconut oil and claimed she saw improvement. I see improvement from time to time in Alzheimer's patients as well - who sundown the night before and look fabulous the next morning. There are no scientific based studies that back any of these claims up and it's false hope to claim someone can improve when there is absolutely no evidence to show any decrease in brain atrophy. Alzheimer's is a terrifying disease and it scares me that people give out advice like this without having evidence behind it because it's just not true and giving false hope with words like "cure" is ridiculous and cruel. What helps is cognitive training, proven medications, and interaction with family and friends.

It sounds like the improvements her husband saw were fairly large and consistent. She had wanted him in clinical trials but he was too far gone to qualify. She gathered as many details as possible and mimicked the clinical trials as much as she could.

Yes, the book is anecdotal but there is probably something to it. Alzheimer's is thought by some to be a form of insulin resistance that affects the brain, sort of like PCOS and NAFLD are thought to also be types of IR. If the brain is experiencing IR, it makes sense to give the body a fuel where it can make ketones so the brain gets the energy it needs.

No it may not work for all, but since there is no harm in trying a ketogenic diet, or just adding MCTs or coconut oil to a diet in lieu of some carbs, why not give it a try?

While you're now posing that "curing" Alzheimers was never mentioned, I will bring up that you replied to a thread asking for help with a loved one with a book that uses the word "cure" in it's title and has no science yet to back it up. That makes me sad because she may run off and insist on a ketogenic diet for her grandfather with grandiose hopes that it will help him.

Your point in saying "there is not harm in trying a ketogenic diet" is naiive. I have patient families come into my facility constantly telling me about this new "treatment" or "cure" they read on the internet including diet modification. Don't you think that if there were evidence behind any of these things and that "it wouldn't hurt to try" that medical professionals wouldn't be trying it? I'm not saying the medical field is perfect, but why would patients be denied such a simple answer if it were effective?

You're also forgetting that it's not as simple as "just trying it." Diet modification for a person with Alzheimer's can mean the difference between eating 100% of a meal and eating nothing. The decline of Alzheimer's most always includes a loss of taste, dysphagia and texture/taste aversion. Completely changing their diet could result in malnutrition, aversion to food and ultimately the need for alternate methods of nutrition. It's not that simple.

Not to mention that the rigor required to maintain a ketogenic diet is not something that someone in the early stages of Alzheimer's, when they may still be caring for themselves, can support. My mother had Alzheimer's and she wasn't able to remember to take her heart, kidney, and other medicines let alone maintain a heavily restrictive diet. Not to mention that as her cognition continued to decline, she tended to fall back on "safe" choices. When we would take her out to a restaurant, no matter what kind it was, when we asked what she wanted to eat she would say, "oh I don't know, a hamburger sounds pretty good"... Pretty soon we realized she couldn't actually read and comprehend the myriad choices on a menu so she had a standard answer so that no one suspected how confused she was.

When we moved her into a long term care facility even then a ketogenic diet would have been very unsustainable, my mother and her roommate (a holocaust survivor) took to hiding food in their room because they weren't sure when they would be eating again.

If there was something reasonable and effective that could have been done to slow or reverse my mother's slow, tortured decline; I would have jumped on it in a heartbeat, but a ketogenic diet was not something that her doctors or we felt was even worth pursuing...

I agree. Caregivers would have to be on board for this diet to work.

It doesn't have to be a ketogenic diet though. It sounds like lower to moderate carbs along with a lot of MCTs or coconut oil would work fine... but yes, caregivers would need to help, just like caregivers would be needed to help in a SAD diet too.

My grandfather, a diabetic on a fairly low carbohydrate diet died of complications of Alzheimers at home.

The evens that I can't in this conversations are legion.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    cggp8cu8bhkg.jpg

Before bed last night I shared an extremely personal story about my now deceased mother and why a ketogenic diet would not have been a viable option to help manage or alleviate her Alzheimer's disease because of what Alzheimer's is like to live with. I spent the night tossing and turning and remembering things about my moms disease that I had blocked out for quite a while, wondering if there was something we missed or something more that could have been done to help her. To see this kind of insensitive, facebookey meme when I woke up this morning, about people rejecting things they don't know about because of ignorance is possibly one of the most offensive things I have seen on these boards...

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

It's not always that hard either.

I didn't name the book. And the book isn't called Cure of Alzheimer's. It's called Alzheimer's: What if There is a cure? ... What if? It may not be a cure for all but it could be worth trying. Add cream to coffee, make a few PB or chocolate coconut oil fat bombs to have as snacks, try cooking a grilled cheese sandwich with coconut oil instead of butter. This isn't that extreme. It could be worth a try. All I'm saying.

Not to mention that the rigor required to maintain a ketogenic diet is not something that someone in the early stages of Alzheimer's, when they may still be caring for themselves, can support. My mother had Alzheimer's and she wasn't able to remember to take her heart, kidney, and other medicines let alone maintain a heavily restrictive diet. Not to mention that as her cognition continued to decline, she tended to fall back on "safe" choices. When we would take her out to a restaurant, no matter what kind it was, when we asked what she wanted to eat she would say, "oh I don't know, a hamburger sounds pretty good"... Pretty soon we realized she couldn't actually read and comprehend the myriad choices on a menu so she had a standard answer so that no one suspected how confused she was.

When we moved her into a long term care facility even then a ketogenic diet would have been very unsustainable, my mother and her roommate (a holocaust survivor) took to hiding food in their room because they weren't sure when they would be eating again.

If there was something reasonable and effective that could have been done to slow or reverse my mother's slow, tortured decline; I would have jumped on it in a heartbeat, but a ketogenic diet was not something that her doctors or we felt was even worth pursuing...

I agree. Caregivers would have to be on board for this diet to work.

It doesn't have to be a ketogenic diet though. It sounds like lower to moderate carbs along with a lot of MCTs or coconut oil would work fine... but yes, caregivers would need to help, just like caregivers would be needed to help in a SAD diet too.

You may not have named the book, but you recommended it to an individual looking to help their loved one. Going into his place of residence and changing his diet, in any way, without the care of a physician is terrible advice especially when the book you are recommending is an endeavor by an uneducated caregiver. Did she have good intentions? Sure. But to use an anecdotal, unproven method to give someone hope in a forum is ignorant.

This is a disease I am well versed in and caregivers need to be educated and supported - not offered blind hope.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options

This breaks my heart for you. I am so sorry you had to go through that.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    cggp8cu8bhkg.jpg

Before bed last night I shared an extremely personal story about my now deceased mother and why a ketogenic diet would not have been a viable option to help manage or alleviate her Alzheimer's disease because of what Alzheimer's is like to live with. I spent the night tossing and turning and remembering things about my moms disease that I had blocked out for quite a while, wondering if there was something we missed or something more that could have been done to help her. To see this kind of insensitive, facebookey meme when I woke up this morning, about people rejecting things they don't know about because of ignorance is possibly one of the most offensive things I have seen on these boards...

+1000. That's the most ignorant and insensitive thing I've seen on here in a while. And that's saying a lot. :(
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    I feel like the implication in this case is that knowledge requires adherence, and I wholeheartedly disagree.
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    To me, the highest form of ignorance is when you insist on something you don't know anything about.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    The real danger is in sugar substitutes.
    Lol - seems fitting.
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    The real danger is in sugar substitutes.

Enlighten us, please.
  • judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    raemj1721 wrote: »
    Soo.. Nursing major here.. In my opinion cutting out sugar is a bad idea for a lot of reasons like decrease in brain activity, messing up insulin and glucose levels, body will start to use up muscle mass for energy which we want muscle cause it burns more energy which is calories. Your fat is the last thing to go when starving yourself or depriving a thing like sugar. Quick fact: your brain uses 50% of sugar you consume!

There really need to be some qualifications here. My sister is a Type 1 diabetic who has to watch her sugar/carbohydrate intake meticulously. People who have medical issues really don't need to be told that they're decreasing their brain activity, messing up insulin & glucose levels and using muscle mass for energy. It can be daunting enough just to manage their disease(s).

AS a newly diagnosed diabetic, I'll stick to what my Diabetes Association Educator and dietician tell me. Like your sister, I don't need another person telling me what I can and cannot do.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    cggp8cu8bhkg.jpg
    I want to thank you so much for inserting a derpy Facebook meme as I mentioned on Page One as the type of non-cogent rationalizations people use as the basis of their choices. So awesome.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    cggp8cu8bhkg.jpg
    I want to thank you so much for inserting a derpy Facebook meme as I mentioned on Page One as the type of non-cogent rationalizations people use as the basis of their choices. So awesome.

Lol - perfect.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    raemj1721 wrote: »
    Soo.. Nursing major here.. In my opinion cutting out sugar is a bad idea for a lot of reasons like decrease in brain activity, messing up insulin and glucose levels, body will start to use up muscle mass for energy which we want muscle cause it burns more energy which is calories. Your fat is the last thing to go when starving yourself or depriving a thing like sugar. Quick fact: your brain uses 50% of sugar you consume!

There really need to be some qualifications here. My sister is a Type 1 diabetic who has to watch her sugar/carbohydrate intake meticulously. People who have medical issues really don't need to be told that they're decreasing their brain activity, messing up insulin & glucose levels and using muscle mass for energy. It can be daunting enough just to manage their disease(s).

AS a newly diagnosed diabetic, I'll stick to what my Diabetes Association Educator and dietician tell me. Like your sister, I don't need another person telling me what I can and cannot do.

That sounds smart.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    cggp8cu8bhkg.jpg

Having been involved in a relative who received supported homecare for his Alzheimer's, I could not agree more. Hugs to you, it's the most hellish thing to live through.

Please note, he was a diabetic who handled his diabetes by eating a modified carbohydrate diet. This continued while his disease ravaged him.

There's ignorance abounding here, alrighty, but it's not coming from where some people think it is.

It's interesting to note that the link I posted earlier is being completely ignored in this discussion. An actual scientific link rather than a book.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    cggp8cu8bhkg.jpg

;)
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    cggp8cu8bhkg.jpg

Most who have chosen the no-so-easy path of restricting carbs and are doing it right enough to see solid benefits pretty much are unable to do that without some serious nutrititional learning. Most who argue against carb restriction eat much higher carb levels without the issues that would promote the understanding of how and why to restrict carbs successfully. It gets really old fast trying to discuss first hand experiences with those who have no need to experience low carb, but feel compelled to argue against it based on something I cannot, for the life of me, comprehend.

The above is a generalization. Exceptions exist.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    umayster wrote: »
    cggp8cu8bhkg.jpg

Most who have chosen the no-so-easy path of restricting carbs and are doing it right enough to see solid benefits pretty much are unable to do that without some serious nutrititional learning. Most who argue against carb restriction eat mucher carb levels without the issues that would promote the understanding of how and why to restrict carbs successfully. It gets really old fast trying to discuss first hand experiences with those who have no need to experience low carb, but feel compelled to argue against it based on something I cannot, for the life of me, comprehend.

The above is a generalization. Exceptions exist.
    It gets really old fast when people want to play the martyr and outright lie distort what other people write so as to enhance that martyrdom.

I mean, honestly, you can't comprehend that, "I think it would be ideal if it were done for a cogent reason. Even if it's done because of a derpy Facebook infographic or a laughably bad 'documentary,' though, that's his call" isn't actually saying that someone "needs" a good reason. I wrote, "good reason or bad reason, it's his call and it's not cool to tell people what they should and shouldn't eat" and you turned that into the exact opposite of what I actually wrote because, apparently, you feel compelled to argue with posts that support your position, but in an insufficiently fawning way. Perhaps you can see why that might be hard to comprehend.