Dairy, yes or no?

Options

Replies

• corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    PS - if someone mentions "baby cows" I will scream! :)
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I get milk straight out of the udder...so yes to dairy...:)
    Baby cows are among us!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I couldn't be without diary. I have yoghurt for breakfast most days, cottage cheese as lunches and snacks, ice cream for snacks and excess calories.

My life would be sad with out diary ;(
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    The only thing about dairy that bothers me is the cost. I would be a very unhappy girl without dairy in my life.

Does anyone else put ice in their milk? Mmmmm
  • kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    There were studies that showed dairy can help with weight loss because of the protein, both filling and it helps with muscle building. So I'm with the others here saying if it doesn't cause bloating or other digestive issues FOR YOU, go ahead and eat/drink it if you want it.
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Drinking the milk of another species is not only linked to health issues, but it's weird and promotes a lot of suffering. Just drink almond/cashew milk :). Better for you and you're not helping rape cows
  • blkandwhite77
    blkandwhite77 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Drinking the milk of another species is not only linked to health issues, but it's weird and promotes a lot of suffering. Just drink almond/cashew milk :). Better for you and you're not helping rape cows

Have you ever milked a cow? I have. The cow could care less. Considering a cow is smart enough to not think of its udders as a sex object (unlike the human race) it's not rape. In fact NOT milking a dairy cow can cause the cow extreme pain, inflammation and possible infection leading to the death of said cow.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    dairy is vile
    just the smell of it makes me want to vom
    which is funny cause i use to be one of those vegetarians that was addicted to it

alternatives are way better

Looking at pictures of natto makes me want to vomit, but lots of people love it. A feeling of disgust may be a useful guide for our own food choices, but it's not really applicable to anyone else. Your disgusting food is someone else's favorite.

Except people who like natto. Those people need Jesus.

I have to agree with this. I ... just can't understand it.

(I kid, I kid)

I tend to avoid milk itself because it bloats me, but other dairy products don't give me issues.

OP, if you have no issues? Enjoy.

I remember having natto, but I don't remember what natto tasted like, it came back up that quickly. Natto might be a 5th or 6th taste bud type, not the taste of vomit, but the taste of causing vomit.

I know a person who likes natto. I can only assume it is a residual effect of some serious physical head trauma he had once.
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options

Have you ever milked a cow? I have. The cow could care less. Considering a cow is smart enough to not think of its udders as a sex object (unlike the human race) it's not rape. In fact NOT milking a dairy cow can cause the cow extreme pain, inflammation and possible infection leading to the death of said cow.

I think the 'rape' referred to is more to do with the fact that most dairy cows are artificially inseminated in order to produce a calf. I'm sure cows don't think of themselves as 'sex objects'.
    However I do wonder if, having carried that calf and delivered it only to be deprived of it almost immediately in order for her milk to be used for human consumption instead, the cow suffers emotionally as a result. Not to mention the lives of the vast majority of male calves - unwanted so destroyed either at birth, shortly after or just a few months later if raised for veal.
    As for dairy cows needing to be milked, of course they do - we've bred a 'Frankenstein' cow to produce a very high yield, far more than it would need to produce to raise one calf naturally - most domestic dairy cows now little more than a bag of bones with an enormous udder, often unable to deliver its calf without human intervention. But they still have a brain and a nervous system so I think they must experience the world in much the same way as we do.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Cows, like humans, produce milk after giving birth to feed their child. The only reason they need to be milked is because we take the infant away from them. The only reason cows would experience pain, inflammation, or infection due to lactation is because we have created a situation where their young don't have access to them.

I realize this doesn't really relate to OP's question, but I hate to see the myth that cows need to be milked further spread. Cows don't require another species to take their milk any more than humans do.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Except by selective breeding domestic dairy cows produce far more than is needed by the calf.

https://www.milk.org/Corporate/PDF/Students-FarmCare_DairyCows.pdf

Thirty liters a day, while the calf needs twelve.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Except by selective breeding domestic dairy cows produce far more than is needed by the calf.

In a human female, the milk supply is typically linked to demand. I understand that today's cows may be able to create much more than a calf could drink (due to selective breeding), but are you arguing that if a cow was left with her calf (and not otherwise milked) she would continue to produce much more than the calf could drink, resulting in health problems?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Good grief
  • krzysztof1986
    krzysztof1986 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Cow rape racks, calves being dragged away from mothers after birth and chained close to the ground so the veal meat would be tender, or just hanged with their heads down with throat cut to bleed to death, not to mention how milk is really bad for human body.
  • siluridae
    siluridae Posts: 188 Member
    Options

In a human female, the milk supply is typically linked to demand. I understand that today's cows may be able to create much more than a calf could drink (due to selective breeding), but are you arguing that if a cow was left with her calf (and not otherwise milked) she would continue to produce much more than the calf could drink, resulting in health problems?

Look at the things we have done with some dog breeds. Some of them are so utterly inbred they would just go extinct because they can't procreate on their own.
    I don't find it hard to believe that we bred cows in such ways they would die without our assistance even if left free and with their offspring.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    siluridae wrote: »

Look at the things we have done with some dog breeds. Some of them are so utterly inbred they would just go extinct because they can't procreate on their own.
    I don't find it hard to believe that we bred cows in such ways they would die without our assistance even if left free and with their offspring.

I'm all for releasing cows back into the wild. All 1.8 billion of them.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Cows freak me out
    It's the way they stare
    They are also related to Dr Who's weeping angels ...they only move towards you when you're not watching them ...and they still stare
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Cows freak me out
    It's the way they stare
    They are also related to Dr Who's weeping angels ...they only move towards you when you're not watching them ...and they still stare

Ever seen the ankole-watusi?

Pretty amazing. They have them at Thoiry in France. My daughters loved them.

82771d914e44fd065f17c5ca9b6d7492.jpg

You can buy watusi cheese.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    They are Awesome :)
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Of course I'm now humming the Blues Brothers
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Cow rape racks, calves being dragged away from mothers after birth and chained close to the ground so the veal meat would be tender, or just hanged with their heads down with throat cut to bleed to death, not to mention how milk is really bad for human body.

Nah.