Options
12346»

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Drinking the milk of another species is not only linked to health issues, but it's weird and promotes a lot of suffering. Just drink almond/cashew milk :). Better for you and you're not helping rape cows

Good grief

Right! :laugh:

And what did an almond do you to you! Squeezing that poor thing to death. So cruel! -.-
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Of course I'm now humming the Blues Brothers

Not Elvis & Aerosmith? Milk Cow Blues!

https://youtu.be/MzEcNN6nKXU

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I bloody loved that ..from beginning to end :bigsmile:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    I bloody loved that ..from beginning to end :big smile:

It's a great bootleg album - and the late 80/early 90 had some great hair.

giphy.gif

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Fark!

Funny-Cows-12.jpg
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    Drinking the milk of another species is not only linked to health issues, but it's weird and promotes a lot of suffering. Just drink almond/cashew milk :). Better for you and you're not helping rape cows

Good grief

And what did an almond do you to you! Squeezing that poor thing to death. So cruel! -.-

You don't squeeze almonds, you grind them....

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_1dnjqanbnw4gc4w40g8kgg8sc_640.gif
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Having been around milk cows from my birth, I know that indeed certain breeds, i.e. Guernsey, Holstein, Jersey, produce too much milk for a calf to drain the udder. The cows come home, because they want to be milked. Similarly engorgement of breast after human babies are born is treated by pumping. Cows look at sex way differently than humans. If the the female is not fertile, when a bull tries to mount her, she simply walks away. Her primary goal is to reproduce. Truly, I think the personification of animals has been taken to the extreme.
    The way we did it down on the farm was we milked a bucket full, then the calf came in and took the rest. Laying hens can produce an egg a day easily with or without the presence of a rooster. Cows milk and chicken eggs are excellent, efficient, nutrient providing foods. We lost more than valuable sources of nutrition when we gave up a system where almost every family had a cow, some chickens, a vegetable patch and an orchard.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

Good grief

You don't squeeze almonds, you grind them....

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_1dnjqanbnw4gc4w40g8kgg8sc_640.gif

tumblr_m5ettwgMD01qbggq1.gif
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Drinking the milk of another species is not only linked to health issues

FIFY
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Having been around milk cows from my birth, I know that indeed certain breeds, i.e. Guernsey, Holstein, Jersey, produce too much milk for a calf to drain the udder. The cows come home, because they want to be milked. Similarly engorgement of breast after human babies are born is treated by pumping. Cows look at sex way differently than humans. If the the female is not fertile, when a bull tries to mount her, she simply walks away. Her primary goal is to reproduce. Truly, I think the personification of animals has been taken to the extreme.
    The way we did it down on the farm was we milked a bucket full, then the calf came in and took the rest. Laying hens can produce an egg a day easily with or without the presence of a rooster. Cows milk and chicken eggs are excellent, efficient, nutrient providing foods. We lost more than valuable sources of nutrition when we gave up a system where almost every family had a cow, some chickens, a vegetable patch and an orchard.

bravo.
  • NeonStrikeVi
    NeonStrikeVi Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Yes. Absolutely love milk :) .

As for being bad for you... you can pretty much find an article about any food on the internet telling you it's bad for you.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I would like to quit dairy myself, but only for ethical reasons.

I do enjoy non-dairy options too, I actually like all the soy, oat, almond, hazelnut etc milks I've tried.
    And I like natto, too... o:)
  • DawnSober
    DawnSober Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened coconut milk. If I didn't have a lactose sensitivity I wouldn't have quit dairy. I do find that it opened a lot of calories for me!
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    certain breeds, i.e. Guernsey, Holstein, Jersey, produce too much milk for a calf to drain the udder.
    Yes, because we bred them to produce too much milk. Before human intervention and breeding programmes, undomesticated cattle would most likely have produced only enough milk for their own calf.
    Her primary goal is to reproduce.
    I believe that too, it's a natural instinct of all living creatures. Does that justify exploiting it for our own uses?
    Truly, I think the personification of animals has been taken to the extreme.
    I think many people who show any degree of concern for the welfare of animals whatsoever are usually accused of anthropomorphism at some point, particularly vegetarians and vegans; however these accusations often come from people with little or no concern for animal welfare themselves but who for some reason hate to see concern displayed by others, and/or the accusations come from people who regard animals more as 'objects' to be used as a commodity than creatures with a right to exist without being subjected to cruelty and exploitation.
    The way we did it down on the farm was we milked a bucket full, then the calf came in and took the rest.
    Ah, down on the farm in the good old days ... farm animals were/are probably treated better when raised that way rather than by large-scale intensive farming, although the majority of male calves would still be surplus to requirements so slaughtered early and cows disposed of when barren or milk yield dropped. But most dairy, meat and eggs are produced differently now so many people have problems with the methods used today and the mistreatment of animals in the process.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    siluridae wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Except by selective breeding domestic dairy cows produce far more than is needed by the calf.

https://www.milk.org/Corporate/PDF/Students-FarmCare_DairyCows.pdf

Thirty liters a day, while the calf needs twelve.

In a human female, the milk supply is typically linked to demand. I understand that today's cows may be able to create much more than a calf could drink (due to selective breeding), but are you arguing that if a cow was left with her calf (and not otherwise milked) she would continue to produce much more than the calf could drink, resulting in health problems?

Look at the things we have done with some dog breeds. Some of them are so utterly inbred they would just go extinct because they can't procreate on their own.
    I don't find it hard to believe that we bred cows in such ways they would die without our assistance even if left free and with their offspring.

That's really sad. It reminds me of the chickens who can't walk normally because they have been bred to increase the size of certain parts of their body.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The only dog I know of that is so over-bred that it can't deliver on it's own is the English bulldog. And breeding works just fine. It's the delivery because of the over-large head that's a concern. Yes, left to their own devices without human intervention, this conformation would die out in a generation.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Cow rape racks, calves being dragged away from mothers after birth and chained close to the ground so the veal meat would be tender, or just hanged with their heads down with throat cut to bleed to death, not to mention how milk is really bad for human body.

image.jpg