Could not believe what my sister did...

Options

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Her sister bought the damn peanut butter out of principle... hoping to agitate her sister and instigate an argument. Whatever purpose she had for doing this doesn't really matter... what matters is that if the OP does do anything with the damn peanut butter and allows the argument to ensue, then she is showing her sister that her lack of will power is a weakness that can be manipulated to her advantage any time she likes.

Exactly - she bought the PB to agitate her and instigate an argument. She's bullying her. I don't think standing up to her sister shows a lack of will power or weakness. To me, it's weaker to let her sister do something mean-spirited like that just to make it hard for her and not stand up for herself. She can give the PB to a shelter without a word, and if her sister asks where it went, she can say "It's gone, it's been eaten". Not technically a lie since it will have been eaten (in the shelter), but she can hardly argue about it. I grew up with 5 sisters, and two of them are exactly the kind that would do something like this. I know very well the sister rivalry dynamic, and from my experience, standing up for yourself is better than just keeping quiet and letting her get to you.

You missed my point. Taking an action of any kind is exactly what the sister wants. If she ignores the peanut butter, then her sister will know that she can't get to her this way, and won't attempt it again.
    I have to agree. In this instance "standing up for yourself" is "letting her get to you." Expect more of it because you just demonstrated to them that they can easily control you. If she can't 'make' you eat peanut butter, she can 'make' you feel all this angst. She's trolling you, and quite successfully.
  • Prismapencils
    Options
    I'd like to thank all of you who gave me some great, encouraging advice:) I'm planning on showing her who's boss and not even touching that jar haha

And to all of those who made a complete joke about this thread, I wasn't trying to make this out to be some horrendous crime..I just needed to vent. There's no need to make fun of me when all I'm trying to do is better myself:)

:D IKR? It ain't that serious, ya'll. Hostility...

Anyway, good luck. You're going to own this.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I'd like to thank all of you who gave me some great, encouraging advice:) I'm planning on showing her who's boss and not even touching that jar haha

And to all of those who made a complete joke about this thread, I wasn't trying to make this out to be some horrendous crime..I just needed to vent. There's no need to make fun of me when all I'm trying to do is better myself:)

:D IKR? The hostility here...

Oooh... I missed this quoted bit.

@ OP - I'm glad you made that choice. It really is the correct way to handle things. Good for you for being mature.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Yahoo_Bang_Head_Emoticon_by_WhiteDragon1983.gif

Judging from this thread 80% of this community has a terrible relationship with food!!!!!!!

Nonsense! This one time me and an Apple pie had a intimate time, but it ended later that day when I found my roommate and his girlfriend eating the Apple pie and passing her around on a plate.
  • mom2cece
    mom2cece Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would go in and pour pepper all in it. That way you won't want it and since she doesn't really like it she will NEVER know. It sounds like she is jealous. You are two pounds away from your goal don't let her get the best of you now. Good luck!
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Wrap the bottle up in duct tape. You know the kind that just won't budge :)

Love this!! PB is a trigger for me too - but only if I start eating it. Duct tape would prevent you from opening the jar :o) Good luck to you!
  • tubby68
    tubby68 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Since no one else in the household eats it, throw it away...
  • Wakkam49
    Wakkam49 Posts: 1
    Options
    It's not about the PB. It's about 'control'. And you ... my dear ... have control. You've done fantastic but remember this is a new lifestyle. Some things you can treat yourself to in moderation. But having a food that is a trigger is different. My triggers set off a frenzy of excuses and inevitably lead me to bitter disappointment. I don't do that anymore (or try not to ...). Instead I find a food that I love - that is healthy - and treat myself to that at the next meal/snack time. It's a small reward. Mine is adding aioli/garlic sauce to a chicken wrap. It's high salt and fat but it's my 'guilty pleasure'. Don't let people get to you and don't look for support from others. If the support is there you'll know it already and don't have to ask. The other people just don't matter. Good luck on your continued success.
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Self- control.

I have yet to go home and test my self control...........
  • Daisey4522
    Daisey4522 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have not read all of the replies to this board so someone may have already mentioned... but there are some lower calorie peanut butter options.

At Trader Joe's, I am addicted to the Better'N Peanut Butter. It has only 90 calories for 2 Tbsp (about half of regular peanut butter) and in my opinion, it tastes great!
    http://www.betternpeanutbutter.com/index.php

There is also PB2. I found it at Whole Foods. I have not found a use for it yet though, it's powdered and you mix it with things.
    http://www.amazon.com/PB2-Powdered-Peanut-Butter-6-5/dp/B002GJ9JWS
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    ERMAGHERD. Why is this still happening?!
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    It's just super annoying that I know for a fact she doesn't like it, and probably won't eat it. I don't plan on eating it, but knowing it's there is just taunting me:(

You just figured out exactly why she did it. She knows she gets a reaction from you. In the future don't announce to everybody in the house (particularly her) what you're doing & why. If it's something like the peanut butter that only you will miss there's no need to say anything - just get rid of it & don't get more. Best thing you can do now is not say another word to her about it & leave the jar unopened. She may ask you about the peanut butter & if you want any, your only response should be, "No, thanks, I'm good" & don't let her engage you any further about it. If she pushes your attitude has to be indifferent, do NOT let her see a reaction. That's the only way to get her to stop - if she doesn't get the reaction she wants there's no sense doing things like that to you. In the future there's no need to tell anybody anything about trigger foods or anything else......
  • Bridgetthegre
    Bridgetthegre Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You could always sneakily throw out the peanut butter. When she asks you WHERE IS THE PEANUT BUTTER??? Look completely blank and say "Peanut butter? Didn't I mention it? I quit eating it"

Passive aggressive, but potentially satisfying. If you're really feeling vengeful, anyway. It would probably be easier to suck it up and forget it.
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Look I'm sorry, but if YOU can't say no to foods or say yes only in moderation then you're never going to succeed. When you're in college or something it'll be readily available in dining halls and people will have it in their rooms. I personally think what she did is good, it's going to help you in the long run, you have to stay away from it or only eat a tablespoon or 2
  • 1duffwf
    1duffwf Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I hear ya about trigger foods. It sucks your sister isn't more supportive - but oh well. Have you thought to ask her if she can keep it in her room? PB doesn't need to be refridgerated and it would help.
  • LexiAtel
    LexiAtel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Okay, I see both sides of this, but when you have a family member trying to make better choices for themselves, you should support them. For me, my Dad has a weakness for any junk food, so if I need some (I am dieting, but I can control my intake on bad food), I make sure he doesn't know about or he doesn't know where it is.

You sister could have hid it in her room (or another location) that you most likely not have seen, but unfortunately, from what I gather, she's just trying to sabotage you. This happens a lot between siblings, whether you have a brother or a sister, HELL, I am sure my mother would have done something like this, she did it to my dad when I was growing up... so yeah..

There's not much you can do about this unfortunately, I grew up in an emotional household back when I was a teenager. After a while though, things got better. Now that I no longer have a sibling that's occasionally causing my grief, I have been able to diet well :)

Just hang in there... So sorry you're going through this. I totally understand.
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    If you have a dog, dogs love peanut butter. Just sayin'. Just open the jar and let the dog get a couple nose/tongue/mouthfuls, then put it back. You won't want to eat it - knowing where your dogs nose has been, and if your sister eats it - well... *chuckle* good for her.
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Stir a little....something nasty into it. Like....emmm....hot sauce, mustard and, ummmm, cayenne. You won't eat it, and if she ever does, she'll hate it :laugh: heh heh heh, I wish there was an evil laughing face :wink:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    15 pages of mental. Rendering me speechless is impossible, but this thread had come frighteningly close.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    ERMAGHERD. Why is this still happening?!

Because MFP! :flowerforyou: