"Fatkinis"

Options
OK - I know I'm going to get ALL KINDS of crap from re-posting this on my facebook page with comments as some people are still in denial that "being fat" is OK and accepted and all that garbage. But here... I know we all know better. SO.... take a look at this article about this line of "fatkinis" made for women sizes 10-24. What are your thoughts?

1) IMHO Size 10 is not "fat". Hell, that's a goal size for me.
2) Does this not endorse the feelings of "well its too hard for me to lose weight so I'll just go buy bigger pants" issue that americans and overweight people all over the world face? I don't say this to mean that "fat people should cover themselves with a moo moo cuz nobody wants to see that" but... its like they're glamorizing being overweight... particularly with the name "fatkini" WTF?
3) Personally... I do have a bikini... which is worn in my backyard in my hot tub and nowhere else because I feel that people should dress appropriate for their body type... meaning.... if you have blubber.. you should wear a 1 piece or atleast a tankini that covers it up. That's just how I feel about myself. Maybe in 40# when I have a little more toned midsection I will begin to wear a "bikini" out in public.

Again... I'm overweight... so I'm not trying to be mean... I just feel like our society brushes all this stuff under the rug and they're saying... look.. it's OK to be morbidly obese! Celebrate your unhealthiness! Not cool. What do you think?

http://www.registerguard.com/rg/life/healthandfitness/30030758-71/westfall-app-weight-chris-pounds.html.csp

Replies

• IHeart90s
    IHeart90s Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Agree 100%!

People should begin to grasp the fact that obesity is a HEALTH problem, not a simple matter of looks and start treating it as what it is: A DISEASE that must be tackled and dealt with by everyone.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I think they're great. A helluva lot more flattering than the swim dresses I see a lot of bigger women wear.

Ideally, yeah, I'd like people to take care of themselves and be fit. I don't see the point of dooming yourself to ugly clothes or swimwear no matter who you are or what you look like. And let's face it, if you're big, you're going to look big no matter what you're wearing, so why not wear something you actually LIKE?
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Agree 100%!

People should begin to grasp the fact that obesity is a HEALTH problem, not a simple matter of looks and start treating it as what it is: A DISEASE that must be tackled and dealt with by everyone.

lol

oh and btw, everyone has to deal with obesity, eh? I think not.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I don't concern myself with what other people wear. If a 500lb lady wants to rock a string bikini then that's neat. If affects my life zero percent. Me getting all judgy about her isn't going to change anything.

Can I acknowledge that her lifestyle is unhealthy? Hell yeah. Would I wear that? Hell no. But it's her life, her decisions.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Agree 100%!

Woah. Tyrannical much?
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Agree 100%!

LOL !!!!! I say epidemic, but I disagree with the AMA on the disease part. Lack of personal responsibility is the problem. Now if someone suddenly comes out and says lack of personal responsibility is a disease, then I guess obesity is then.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I don't concern myself with what other people wear. If a 500lb lady wants to rock a string bikini then that's neat. If affects my life zero percent. Me getting all judgy about her isn't going to change anything.

Can I acknowledge that her lifestyle is unhealthy? Hell yeah. Would I wear that? Hell no. But it's her life, her decisions.

I'll just ditto this. Please stop trying to impress your viewpoint upon others as though it's some definitive fact. Why oh why do you care about the swimwear of anyone but yourself? Talk about a buttinski.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options

I'll just ditto this. Please stop trying to impress your viewpoint upon others as though it's some definitive fact. Why oh why do you care about the swimwear of anyone but yourself? Talk about a buttinski.
    Hehehehe...buttinski. I had a chuckle.

Also, in Brazil, people of all sizes wear teeny tiny bikinis. It's a culture thing, and I think we can change as a culture. #idealism
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I think that it's great to have more fashionable options for plus sized and beyond. I have a friend who is plus sized and as far as I know she's ok with how she looks. She is also fashion conscious and has a tough time finding current trends in her size. Some people just really don't care what size they are. Probably not most people on this site though.
  • IHeart90s
    Options
    Agree 100%!

lol

oh and btw, everyone has to deal with obesity, eh? I think not.

I obviously meant everyone suffering from it...
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    OK - I know I'm going to get ALL KINDS of crap from re-posting this on my facebook page with comments as some people are still in denial that "being fat" is OK and accepted and all that garbage. But here... I know we all know better. SO.... take a look at this article about this line of "fatkinis" made for women sizes 10-24. What are your thoughts?

1) IMHO Size 10 is not "fat". Hell, that's a goal size for me.
    2) Does this not endorse the feelings of "well its too hard for me to lose weight so I'll just go buy bigger pants" issue that americans and overweight people all over the world face? I don't say this to mean that "fat people should cover themselves with a moo moo cuz nobody wants to see that" but... its like they're glamorizing being overweight... particularly with the name "fatkini" WTF?
    3) Personally... I do have a bikini... which is worn in my backyard in my hot tub and nowhere else because I feel that people should dress appropriate for their body type... meaning.... if you have blubber.. you should wear a 1 piece or atleast a tankini that covers it up. That's just how I feel about myself. Maybe in 40# when I have a little more toned midsection I will begin to wear a "bikini" out in public.

Again... I'm overweight... so I'm not trying to be mean... I just feel like our society brushes all this stuff under the rug and they're saying... look.. it's OK to be morbidly obese! Celebrate your unhealthiness! Not cool. What do you think?

http://www.registerguard.com/rg/life/healthandfitness/30030758-71/westfall-app-weight-chris-pounds.html.csp

I agree with you. I think people ought to wear clothing that flatters their figure. then again, sometimes it is too hot to wear clothing that covers you. So people dont care, and it is too hot to wear more than a tank top and this causes people to see rolls of fat. Then again, some people have an image of themselves that they look sexy and feel their rolls of fat are sexy. I see a lot of people who squeeze themselves into too tight clothes that look to be too small for them. It looks pretty awful. but they think they are gorgeous.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I think they're great. A helluva lot more flattering than the swim dresses I see a lot of bigger women wear.

Ideally, yeah, I'd like people to take care of themselves and be fit. I don't see the point of dooming yourself to ugly clothes or swimwear no matter who you are or what you look like. And let's face it, if you're big, you're going to look big no matter what you're wearing, so why not wear something you actually LIKE?

^ This.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Being judgmental isn't sexy on anybody. Just saying. :flowerforyou:
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options

Ditto. OP, you have no right to judge anyone else but yourself. Something about glass houses and throwing stones...
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options

Agreed.

Also want to add that there are many factors that go into why a person may be obese. To assume that someone is not motivated or lazy because they carry extra weight is b.s. I know beautiful women who have dieted and exercised for years only to continue to be overweight. They hate themselves for failing amd that makes me sad. You may not love your body or the way you look in a bikini, but what do you have against an overweight person loving their body? Does the fat make them unworthy of self-love? Being healthy starts first with loving yourself. I don't exercise or eat healthy because I hate myself. I do it out of love for the amazing creation my body is. I'm still overweight by society's standards but I can guarantee that I am healthier than most people I know. I can also kick most people's butt in the gym. Why should I allow your shame of your body make me ashamed of mine? I weigh 184 lbs and if I want to wear a bikini I have just as much right to as someone smaller. You have the right to not look if you don't want to.
  • IHeart90s
    Options
    In my country, obesity is a public health issue. I guess I understand people who are happy being obese, but there is enough scientific proof that obesity is the main cause for multiple diseases (heart condition, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc).
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I think that everyone needs clothing whatever size they are. Providing people with properly fitting clothing is not the cause or contribution to obesity.

I think the name Fatkinis is unfortunate. Why not just sell larger sized bikinis? Why name them that? I think they will lose business because of the name.

I think they are probably made to fit well and would look lovely.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options

So what od you want people to do if they've gained weight? Stay indoors until they've dieted down to an acceptable size? Why do you even have a bikini? Perhaps it feels nice to wear one... perhaps other people want to feel nice outside of their backyards.

I don't think "society" is trying to endorse anything. Clearly there must have been a market for larger women who wanted to wear bikinis and clothing makers finally seized the opportunity. Good for those women, I say.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    In my country, obesity is a public health issue. I guess I understand people who are happy being obese, but there is enough scientific proof that obesity is the main cause for multiple diseases (heart condition, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc).

Forcing people to wear shapeless sacks or go nude while they deal with their obesity isn't going to make it less of a problem.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I think that everyone needs clothing whatever size they are. Providing people with properly fitting clothing is not the cause or contribution to obesity.

I think the name Fatkinis is unfortunate. Why not just sell larger sized bikinis? Why name them that? I think they will lose business because of the name.

I think they are probably made to fit well and would look lovely.
    I agree. The first time I saw that word used it was by a plus sized blogger Gabi Fresh and she looked AMAZING... She had a special swim suit line that sold out in record time.

I see plenty of "normal" weight people that wear very unflattering swimsuits too so why not everyone else? [edit: I didnt mean it to sound like fatkinis are unflattering - again I have been proven wrong by above blogger but just mean that you can wear what you want even if other people don't like it]

Also the false claims of caring about fat people's health is really old - we know you don't care so stfu and worry about yourself. Do you know what my big butt does in my big (one piece) swimsuit? I SWIM. LIKE OMG EXERCISE.